• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
My first exposure to Whedon was his Astonishing X-Men run and both Avengers flicks. Never saw Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, etc. So in my mind, he's a cool dude whose work I enjoy very much. That's about it. I trust his judgment for Justice League and Batgirl based on the 3 things I've been exposed to.

WhiteWolf

bless the fuck up.

Matt Reeves is smart enough to put in great work without that damn Geoff Johns butting in with his favorite new buzzwords of the year.

where are you hearing these Apes impressions? I think it could be the best franchise movie of the year tbh (yeah over Star Wars too).

though tbh I think "hope" is fine in Batman. it worked great for the nolan batman movies, the man should be hopeful and optimistic about a better gotham. or else it will be nihilistic "fuck this shit, my family used to be hunters fuck this earth" bruce from BvS all over again. which would be a regression from what that ending promised.
Oh I agree that Batman hoping and fighting for a better future is at the very core of his character, just tired of all the buzzwords. It shouldn't even need to be mentioned by Johns either since it's obvious by the end of BvS where Bruce is at. They need to just let the directors have creative control on editing and directing (the reason they were hired in the first place.) But it is probably just a marketing ploy like Broncobuster mentioned earlier. BvS theatrical cut proved what happens when they mess with the original director's vision and Wonder Woman's success stems from leaving it intact.

Y'all know I would fuckin throw $500 on that shirt even though I don't have a wife
DCjNOUVV0AAwIrX

Are we really gonna act like this board wasn't down on Whedon for Age of Ultron? c'mon

Yeah but that dude he's talking about was probably enamored with age of Ultron haha

It's not that major or coming from many ppl but there definitely was a bit of a backlash on the man as soon as he said he had a few qualms with marvel as he worked on AoU and then when he was announced for batgirl

I'm personally really bummed out that this guy is involved with the dceu tho. I like some of these characters more than anybody in the Avengers 1 and 2 lineups. That he will have input on them (and by proxy Batman when he works on batgirl....god damn) got me feeling salty.

Like imagine how a lot of people, hell imagine your reaction, would respond if Zack Snyder was directing infinity war

Ninjimbo

Bruv the action would be insane.

I'm pretty mixed on Snyder but I would have preferred his Jedi movie over Rogue One and a Han Solo prequel too
I think we all would. A Seven Samurai-style movie with Jedi sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than yet another retread with the Skywalkers and the Empire.

I think we all would. A Seven Samurai-style movie with Jedi sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than yet another retread with the Skywalkers and the Empire.

Ayyy I didn't say that haha. But it's definitely a more interesting spinoff idea than the shit lucasfilm is doing now

Plus I'm thinking of how this movie would look. The Jedi fights would be nuts

A Snyder Star Wars spin-off would be so good, but he'd need to be paired with a talented writer. It'd probably be about challenging core concepts of the Star Wars universe, like Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Yeah but that dude he's talking about was probably enamored with age of Ultron haha

It's not that major or coming from many ppl but there definitely was a bit of a backlash on the man as soon as he said he had a few qualms with marvel as he worked on AoU and then when he was announced for batgirl

I'm personally really bummed out that this guy is involved with the dceu tho. I like some of these characters more than anybody in the Avengers 1 and 2 lineups. That he will have input on them (and by proxy Batman when he works on batgirl....god damn) got me feeling salty.

Like imagine how a lot of people, hell imagine your reaction, would respond if Zack Snyder was directing infinity war

The Batgirl thread was largely positive at a cursory glance whereas the two LTTP threads for AoU I could find from 2015 and 2016 are calling it mediocre or trash. I mean, if anything, peope are coming around because of his involvement in the DCEU.

And your hypothetical about Snyder directing Avengers is pointless. Marvel has hired mediocre directors for their properties but not outright terrible ones :^)

SArcher

Banned
I've been thinking...how many DC movies will hit a 2019 release date? Originally we were supposed to get Shazam and Justice League 2 but I have a feeling neither of those will happen in 2019 (Snyder is out and the Shazam/Black Adam project just has the Rock). The Batman and Batgirl seem the most likely. But I could also see Justice League Dark and Gotham City Sirens being ready for that time. Like, I feel 2019 and 2020 could theoretically be insane years for WB/DC with a record number of superhero movies out.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I've been thinking...how many DC movies will hit a 2019 release date? Originally we were supposed to get Shazam and Justice League 2 but I have a feeling neither of those will happen in 2019 (Snyder is out and the Shazam/Black Adam project just has the Rock). The Batman and Batgirl seem the most likely. But I could also see Justice League Dark and Gotham City Sirens being ready for that time. Like, I feel 2019 and 2020 could theoretically be insane years for WB/DC with a record number of superhero movies out.
Yeah, I posted a list earlier in this thread of all the movies in development (13!) and trying to figure out when they'd have time to release them all with Flash kinda fucking over the schedule. Since they haven't started on Sirens or Batman yet, there's no chance of a 2nd DC movie in 2018. We know Batman will be 2019 for sure, but all other films are up in the air. I'm guessing Wonder Woman 2 gets fast tracked for a 2020 release, so it's up to DC/WB to decide if they want 3 movies a year, or 4.

LionPride

Banned
I hate how everything needs to be great or trash, I keep seeing it in threads related to CBMs and movies or games or music or anything really. It's...somethin

SArcher

Banned
Yeah, I posted a list earlier in this thread of all the movies in development (13!) and trying to figure out when they'd have time to release them all with Flash kinda fucking over the schedule. Since they haven't started on Sirens or Batman yet, there's no chance of a 2nd DC movie in 2018. We know Batman will be 2019 for sure, but all other films are up in the air. I'm guessing Wonder Woman 2 gets fast tracked for a 2020 release, so it's up to DC/WB to decide if they want 3 movies a year, or 4.

3 years between films isn't what I would call fast-tracking though. Now, if they get it out in 2019 then that would be something.
I used to think that 4 movies from a single studio per year would be crazy but now that we are getting 3 movies from Marvel, 3 from Fox and perhaps 2 from Sony next year, 4 movies per year from WB doesn't sound so crazy.

jrush64

Banned
I hate how everything needs to be great or trash, I keep seeing it in threads related to CBMs and movies or games or music or anything really. It's...somethin

It's hyperbole turned up to the max and it's definitely becoming more common especially here. If you like something it's great, if you don't like something it's automatically trash. No exceptions.

In regards to that thread in the OT, when it comes to Superman I just don't know what these people want. In BvS regardless of how dark the movie was, he did the best he could every time.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so much cbm drama itt

since you're curious:

i can still love a lot of age of ultron (vision in particular)& be glad the russos are heading the MCU over Whedon

i think he'd do a great job with Batgirl, but JL is probably beyond repair (hey i still have to stay on brand)

i don't think he's sexist

LionPride

Banned
It's hyperbole turned up to the max and it's definitely becoming more common especially here. If you like something it's great, if you don't like something it's automatically trash. No exceptions.

In regards to that thread in the OT, when it comes to Superman I just don't know what these people want. In BvS regardless of how dark the movie was, he did the best he could every time.
Like the only movie in the DCEU I'd call trash is Suicide Squad. BvS? It exists, it's not awful, it's just not what I wanted and I don't find it entertaining.

In the MCU? None of them are bad movies quality wise

X-Men? None of them are bad movies quality wise

Spider-Man? Same thing

Fant4stic is actually just not a well made movie tho

zero_suit

There is no in-between on GAF. Hyperbole is in.

Some people on here are acting like BvS is on Catwoman's level.

Like the only movie in the DCEU I'd call trash is Suicide Squad. BvS? It exists, it's not awful, it's just not what I wanted and I don't find it entertaining.

In the MCU? None of them are bad movies quality wise

X-Men? None of them are bad movies quality wise

Spider-Man? Same thing

Fant4stic is actually just not a well made movie tho

First Wolverine movie and X3 need to have a word with you.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I actually own all of the X-Men movies (except Deadpool, if you want to count that, but I'm getting it soon)...and a lot of other stuff. I love me some comic book movies (and shows, too).
I'm a comic book nerd so I own every comic book movie and animated movie except for Superman 3 and 4, Catwoman (never seen it), Elektra (never seen it), the new Fantastic 4, and the Blade Trilogy (never seen them). I even own shit like the Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer extended cut and the Thomas Jane Punisher extended cut. I tend to not buy movies anymore, so it's no big deal to just buy all the comic book ones since they tend to at least look amazing and I can re-watch them with friends and family.

J_Viper

Maybe slightly OT, but whatever it's a slow news period

I'm convinced everyone who told me how great Arrow S5 was is playing a goof on me

It's just as terribly acted and written as ever. His group of sidekicks are so fucking bad.

Wild Dog is the lamest dude I've seen on tv since Season 1 Ward from AoS

Maybe I should check out Flash S2 instead

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

I'm convinced everyone who told me how great Arrow S5 was is playing a goof on me

It's just as terribly acted and written as ever. His group of sidekicks are so fucking bad.

How far did you get? Cause I fucking loved Season 5. Though, it could totally be one of those things were watching it week to week over the course of 8 months helps better pace it in my head.

I'm a comic book nerd so I own every comic book movie and animated movie except for Superman 3 and 4, Catwoman (never seen it), Elektra (never seen it), the new Fantastic 4, and the Blade Trilogy (never seen them). I even own shit like the Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer extended cut and the Thomas Jane Punisher extended cut. I tend to not buy movies anymore, so it's no big deal to just buy all the comic book ones since they tend to at least look amazing and I can re-watch them with friends and family.

I keep being tempted to get stuff like those Fantastic Four movies, Green Lantern Extended Cut, the Ghost Rider movies, Daredevil, and all of that other stuff. This one guy at a flea market I got to always has them for a few bucks.

The only other comic book movies I for sure plan to get are the Blade and Hellboy movies, Deadpool, and whatever future DC and Marvel stuff that hasn't come out yet. I plan to also get Superman: The Movie and Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut on Blu-ray. Not sure if I'll get any of the others, since I don't like them as much and already have them in that big Superman boxset.

I'm also eventually getting the rest of the DC Animated Universe stuff I'm missing, the other two seasons of Wonder Woman, the complete Adam West Batman series, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, maybe Spectacular Spider-Man, and some DC animated movies. Maybe some of the '90s Marvel animated shows, too, if I can get them for a good price...but I can watch some of them on Hulu. I'd love to get the CW DC shows on Blu-ray, but they're a bit pricey and all on Netflix, so...until I have a lot of spending money, I'll pass on them.

If you liked S1 Flash, just stop there and pretend it got cancelled.

Boke1879

Flash is good. Season 3 wasn't the best, but I'm invested in the characters and they are fun.

Unfortunate you didn't like Arrow season 5. I thought it was the best one after 2. I really liked it.

And honestly. If you haven't. Check out Legends. They really embrace the silliness of the show and have tons of fun.

LionPride

Banned

WHAT? Wild Dog is amazing.

What episode you on?

Also Flash S2 is okay, suffers from what Arrow suffered and that's having to set up Legends and when it finished that, it picked up a bit but the Zoom reveal was bleh

J_Viper

How far did you get? Cause I fucking loved Season 5. Though, it could totally be one of those things were watching it week to week over the course of 8 months helps better pace it in my head.

I think I'm three episodes in? Maybe four

I was down with it for the first two seasons, skipped S3 and S4.

Maybe I'll give S5 another shot. The action is great, but everything in between has been unwatchable.

I almost died laughing when they unveiled that awful Canary statue though.

If you liked S1 Flash, just stop there and pretend it got cancelled.

Damn, it's that bad?

Season 1 has its fair share of rotten episodes, but the episodes that worked were damn fine comic materiel

Flash is good. Season 3 wasn't the best, but I'm invested in the characters and they are fun.

Unfortunate you didn't like Arrow season 5. I thought it was the best one after 2. I really liked it.

And honestly. If you haven't. Check out Legends. They really embrace the silliness of the show and have tons of fun.

I've been meaning to check out Legends since I liked Caity Lotz in Arrow

WHAT? Wild Dog is amazing.

What episode you on?

Also Flash S2 is okay, suffers from what Arrow suffered and that's having to set up Legends and when it finished that, it picked up a bit but the Zoom reveal was bleh

Does Wild Dog have a Ward-esque character turn? Because he's like if Shadow the Hedgehog turned to a Latin dude right now

I really just wanna see what the King Shark episode of Flash is after seeing that gif of him. He looks way above the usual CW CG

Top Bottom