• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Oh God Oh Shit
DDHWW74UQAAhBfK

DDHWW68U0AAvhTP

DDHWW7FUwAAc6e_

DDHWW8KUwAAzWCP

somebody put up a thread this thing is lit

a916

Watched Power Rangers the other day. Whoo boy the acting was just abysmal. The Asian guy is in Aquaman right? He was the worst, with Becky G a close second. Hopefully Wan can get a better performance out of him

Might be the worst movie I've watched all year... there was a lot of strong Chronicle vibe... but poorly done.

The first half of F4 reboot was better than this. Which itself was a strong Chronicle vibe. I do like how they tried to make us care about the characters and not just resort to punch punch kick kick.

(Also, Power Rangers being strong without the suit... then why the armor?... kinda makes them less special and more vulnerable when they aren't in them)

LionPride

Banned
Might be the worst movie I've watched all year... there was a lot of strong Chronicle vibe... but poorly done.

The first half of F4 reboot was better than this. Which itself was a strong Chronicle vibe. I do like how they tried to make us care about the characters and not just resort to punch punch kick kick.

(Also, Power Rangers being strong without the suit... then why the armor?... kinda makes them less special and more vulnerable when they aren't in them)
Power Rangers have always been strong without the suits

Power Rangers is actually fine unlike Fantastic Four

jackdoe

You must not have been watching the movie cause they answer this question in the movie itself:
They became stronger but were still super squishy without the armor (and Billy died because of it) and they needed the armor to interface with their Zords and actually be able to pilot them.

All in all, it was a decent enough justification for why these superheros needed their extra colorful costumes.

a916

You must not have been watching the movie cause they answer this question in the movie itself:
They became stronger but were still super squishy without the armor (and Billy died because of it) and they needed the armor to interface with their Zords and actually be able to pilot them.

All in all, it was a decent enough justification for why these superheros needed their extra colorful costumes.

They were
leaping chasms and breaking sinks with their hands
... seems kinda weird to be honest.

Just bought a 65" 4k tv (Samsung KS8500), ordered a 4k blu ray player and BvS & John Wick 4k with it. Can't wait! Going to hold off until Black Friday for my pro though.

Wish Man of Steel and Nolan's Trilogy had a 4k release as well.

edit: Oh shit, MOS 4k comes out in 3 days. Fuck my wallet.

jackdoe

Just bought a 65" 4k tv (Samsung KS8500), ordered a 4k blu ray player and BvS & John Wick 4k with it. Can't wait! Going to hold off until Black Friday for my pro though.

Wish Man of Steel and Nolan's Trilogy had a 4k release as well.

edit: Oh shit, MOS 4k comes out in 3 days. Fuck my wallet.
Are you in the US? Man of Steel in 4K Blu-Ray came out last year.

ReiGun

Power Rangers have always been strong without the suits

Power Rangers is actually fine unlike Fantastic Four

Yeah, I was actually pleasantly surprised by Power Rangers. There were some things it could have done better (we really could have spent more time with Zack and Trini and Jason's arc was a little weak. Also the suits are still pretty ugly), but I thought it was a decent enough update on the original concept. For all the cries of it being "dark and gritty" in the lead up to it, I thought it had a lot of heart and walked the line between taking the subject seriously while not leaning into being too self deprecating or cynical.

I also found it interesting that Power Rangers of things was probably the most diverse superhero movie we've had. And not just in the token way the show was. All the Rangers felt like they had full lives and intersecting identities that informed who they were. I walked out wanting to spent more time with them because it felt like the movie only scratched the surface of what you could do with them. I wasn't expecting that going in.

Just yesterday I was looking at the LG and Sony OLEDs and they had Man of Steel on it. Don't like MoS enough to re-buy it in 4K whenever I purchase a new TV, but it sure looked nice.

a916

Just yesterday I was looking at the LG and Sony OLEDs and they had Man of Steel on it. Don't like MoS enough to re-buy it in 4K whenever I purchase a new TV, but it sure looked nice.

The one I have my eye on, LG OLED, is at 4500 CAD... I need that to be about half of that before I think about pulling the trigger.

Ninjimbo

I was watching MoS last night. This time around, I was paying attention to the score for whatever reason and I came to the conclusion that Danny Elfman has never done a score like that: from the vocals in the opening sequence of Kal's birth, to the drums beats of the action scenes, and the piano cues for those tender Kent family moments, the music adds so much to this movie. MoS sounds modern which is the opposite of what I consider Elfman to be. To me he's more classical and now I'm worried about what JL is going to sound like. If Snyder was at the helm I wouldn't be worried, but knowing they have Whedon directing now and they kicked out Junkie (who was more equipped to deliver something on the level of Zimmer) makes me apprehensive about the whole thing.

I know Geoff has stated otherwise, but I don't know. It's all speculation until we finally have the movie.

I'm just constantly wowed by MoS. It gets better and better with each subsequent viewing. It's far more detailed and nuanced than people give it credit for. I don't get the hate for it or how anyone could find it boring.

strafer

I was watching MoS last night. This time around, I was paying attention to the score for whatever reason and I came to the conclusion that Danny Elfman has never done a score like that: from the vocals in the opening sequence of Kal's birth, to the drums beats of the action scenes, and the piano cues for those tender Kent family moments, the music adds so much to this movie. MoS sounds modern which is the opposite of what I consider Elfman to be. To me he's more classical and now I'm worried about what JL is going to sound like. If Snyder was at the helm I wouldn't be worried, but knowing they have Whedon directing now and they kicked out Junkie (who was more equipped to deliver something on the level of Zimmer) makes me apprehensive about the whole thing.

I know Geoff has stated otherwise, but I don't know. It's all speculation until we finally have the movie.

I'm just constantly wowed by MoS. It gets better and better with each subsequent viewing. It's far more detailed and nuanced than people give it credit for. I don't get the hate for it or how anyone could find it boring.

Preach!

Ahasverus

I think/hope they'll keep Junkie's score for the most part. 3 months is too little to compose, instrumentate and record a quality score.

Odoul

Agreed on the Man of Steel love. I adore that movie.

All the hyperventilating about it's portrayal of the consequences of superpowers ended up affecting 3 movies all for the worse.

It felt like Ultron was a direct response to it and it killed it's third act.

It obviously affected BvS and felt like it took the entire sequel off course of what MoS ending laid down.

It also set Civil War on the unnecessary collateral damage path of Ultron and BvS took that was nowhere in the previous movies.

It looks like we're past that phase and I hope to God we never go back.

And Arcade might be my favorite track.

tim1138

In terms of domestic box office, Wonder Woman passed Man of Steel this weekend and is tracking to pass both Suicide Squad and BvS this week. Keep on keeping on Wondy!

MisterHero

I listen to Flight and An Ideal of Hope mostly but the sci-fi sounding tracks from Kal's birth to the Genesis Chamber on Krypton are my favorite. I was content with Superman being the sci-fi archetype for this universe, but they don't really explore it in BvS.

Superman comics jump from action to sci-fi to fantasy to romance so much, his soundtracks could use different flavors.

Platy

so fuck mullet superman.

Lets talk about the 90's thing that really matters for the movie.

Will Momoa loose his left hand on Justice League or his solo movie ?

Ninjimbo

so fuck mullet superman.

Please no. I like him having both his hands. It was badass in the JL show, but let's not mess with Mamoa's perfect physique.

so fuck mullet superman.

I wouldn't want to deal with the production nonsense that comes along with it. It's much easier for him to just keep his both hands.

The one I have my eye on, LG OLED, is at 4500 CAD... I need that to be about half of that before I think about pulling the trigger.

Asking around, the prices of 2017 LG models are dropping a few hundred in late July, but still really expensive. Still, I wanted an OLED TV since seeing the small ones in Sony stories years ago. Trying to convince myself to splurge and just go for it.

I wouldn't mind if that's the default costume from now on sans sunglasses. It looks comic booky enough without venturing into Schumacher land.

When the goggles are pulled up, you get a sense of how it'd look without them.

I get the intent behind the goggles is to reflect light, as so

But I prefer it without the goggles.

Asking around, the prices of 2017 LG models are dropping a few hundred in late July, but still really expensive. Still, I wanted an OLED TV since seeing the small ones in Sony stories years ago. Trying to convince myself to splurge and just go for it.

When the goggles are pulled up, you get a sense of how it'd look without them.
I get the intent behind the goggles is to reflect light, as so
But I prefer it without the goggles.
Oh, I didn't know they could be pulled up or I just forgot. The JL battle (?) Batman costume might be my second favorite costume after WW's. Those glamour toy shots look amazingly good. WW's is ahead by a mile though, her costume might be the best next to Iron Man and WS Captain America's costumes.

Busty

Banned
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ls-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-exit-1016619

So, ball is in Lord&Miller's court. On the up side, if they take it, you know they're going to grab as much creative freedom as they can.

Possibly but I feel like WB have decided to wait for Zemeckis. It's also worth bearing in mind that WB threw away the treatment that Lord/Miller originally did for The Flash and decided to do a page one rewrite.

I don't see them coming in to work from scratch on a new take (or at least a new story) on the character. But given the size of the DCU slate I can see them attaching themselves to something else.

Ross61

Possibly but I feel like WB have decided to wait for Zemeckis. It's also worth bearing in mind that WB threw away the treatment that Lord/Miller originally did for The Flash and decided to do a page one rewrite.

I don't see them coming in to work from scratch on a new take (or at least a new story) on the character. But given the size of the DCU slate I can see them attaching themselves to something else.
Mayimbe said they already met with WB regarding the Flash. But I wouldn't mind them tackling Booster Gold movie.

Worked great for the last guy.

Hey, Matt Reeves held out and it'll potentially work out...maybe...if they stop asking him about Batman when promoting a dope Planet of the Apes film. One guy legit asked him if Ben Affleck is playing Batman.

iirc the page one rewrite was to attract directors to the project. If Lord&Miller return, I feel Warners will be accommodating to their original ideas.

Top Bottom