• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Ross61

Even though El Mayimbe kind of shot it down, looks like Rupert Wyatt could be in talks to be the GLC director. Jeff Sneider also hinted at it a few weeks ago.

Odoul

Even though El Mayimbe kind of shot it down, looks like Rupert Wyatt could be in talks to be the GLC director. Jeff Sneider also hinted at it a few weeks ago.

First Apes was pretty good.

Never saw anything else by the guy so not sure how distinct a vision he has. He did direct the best moment in the entire Planet of the Apes franchise though.

Was also one of the coolest experiences I've ever had in a theater. Entire crowd went silent.

ReiGun

Just went and saw Wonder Woman again. Even removed from the hype of getting to see it early (and for free) it's still one of the best damn movies in the superhero subgenre.

How we feeling about spoilers in here at this point because I have some things I wanna talk about? If people aren't feeling it, I'll take things to the OT thread.

Wonder Woman isn't coming to digital/home video until September, it's been over a month, and SDCC is soon enough. Feels like we should get the point where it's OK to talk about Wonder Woman spoilers here. Depends how others feel about it.

Ninjimbo

I'm good with discussing spoilers. WW has come out in all territories already right? It's time to lift the veil on Diana and her misadventures.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
If it's already out in all territories that the biggest posters in this thread live in, we should be ok with spoiler talk now that are unhidden.

Just checked IMDB, the only place it's not out yet is Japan (Aug 25th).

Apparently Diana is voiced by the Sailor Moon VA in the Japanese release. I need to find a way to play that for a cousin. She was obsessed with Sailor Moon and Wonder Woman when we were younger.

ReiGun

If we're all cool, I'm just gonna quote myself from the OT

Upon watching it again, things that seemed like huge issues the first time around actually lessened as I noticed their purpose within the narrative. Particularly the first and final act.

First, Themiscyra. When the movie first came out, I noted that Paradise Island is used much the same way Donner used Smallville in "Superman:" a clever way to ground our main character and their moral compass by showing the idyllic nature of their upbringing (of course someone like this comes from a place like this) while also setting up the culture shock they'll experience once they leave the nest and join the outside world. It's obviously felt more strongly in Wonder Woman, but it's present in both. What I missed the first time around is that the theme of love that appears to come out of no where in the climax actually starts right on the island.

This movie has quite a few people who make decisions based on love. Hippolyta doesn't want Diana to train because she knows it puts her at risk and that her daughter's destiny will take her "greatest love" away. Antiope trains Diana out of a love that acknowledges her destiny and desire to her properly prepared. Also, she dies saving her, which in movies is a go to love move. Steve in the cave talks about how people he loved (his father and grandfather) inspired him to join the military and try to do the right thing in spite of how flawed he himself is.

You also have those who act when they've been denied love in one form or another. Sameer is a soldier because his race prevents from pursuing his one true love: acting. The Chief's people were wiped out, so he's trying to survive in a world where he doesn't truly have a home and has left him to work with the people who did it. Charlie is so scarred from his experiences in war that he's become a drunkard who gets into fights, shuns genuine affection and concern when offered to him, and can't even bring himself to sing like he likes. Finally, while we don't get much of her backstory, we learn enough about Doctor Poison that we can infer she's been denied genuine love and compassion from people for a long time and is likely incapable of giving it herself.

Then there's Diana, who is basically the avatar of selfless love. Diana loves everybody, and she believes wholeheartedly in the inherent goodness of others. We see it on the island when she stands against her mother and the senators before ultimately leaving. We see it when she chides the generals. We see it when she is mortified and heartbroken at the injured returning from war. We see it when she thanks the man for his ice cream or turns into a ball of pure joy at the sight of a baby.

The movie is all about testing that ideal against the harsh nature of the world. Can your love endure when faced with impossible odds or when you find out people actually kind of suck? The No Man's Land scene is inspiring because it is the first time Diana answers that question with a resounding "Yes." After over an hour of everyone telling her "No, Diana. You're too naive. You don't understand. This is hopeless," our girl finally says "Fuck you. People are in danger and I'm helping them. You can either get with it or get out of my way." It's awesome, and it inspires her team by giving them just a little bit of hope in a world that seems to have denied them that. It is an act of selflessness and love that sparks a change in people.

Of course, it wasn't the last time Diana's ideals were tested. Which brings us to the final act and Ares. Now, I get why people have a problem with Ares. Honestly, it's not a great portrayal of the character and I think that's the biggest issue with the last act. Ares is a cornball and his powers are lame. But then, I really do think you need him to bring it all home.

Ares's function is to break the last bit of Diana's naivety. He destroys the Godkiller and tells Diana that she herself is the weapon and what she knew of her origin and mission was a lie. He makes plain the nature of man by revealing that all he does is give people ideas and they do what they do with them, no mind control needed. He justifies the anger and fear she's feeling by telling her that yeah, these people don't deserve your help because they're shit and won't even keep my stupid armistice. He makes it so that Diana can't blame any outside forces and leaves her with a question: now that you know what people are, will you still defend them?

We know the answer is yes, but it takes Steve's sacrifice to get her there. Which you also need Ares for because without him around to fight her, Diana just chucks the plane away from causing any harm and then leaves man's world because fuck these people. Steve's sacrifice, like Antiope's from earlier, is the ultimate act of love. Steve loves Diana, and knows she can save the world. So it has to be him who dies. Diana inspires a man who by his own admission is imperfect and has done awful things to make a purely noble move and save millions.

That's what she means when she says she believes in love. Not "I love this guy and now I'm a Super Saiyan," but "I've seen that love can change us and make us better and now I'm Super Sayian." Her sparing Poison is her fully rejecting Ares' view that humanity is beyond redemption. Her destroying Ares is literally the avatar of love destroying the avatar of not just war, but hatred and cynicism. Love conquers hate.

Now this all isn't to say I think criticism of these acts in the movie are misguided. I also wish we could have gotten more from the Amazons, and I totally agree that Ares sucks. But I think it all fits together better thematically and plot-wise better than it gets credit for.

Other stray thoughts:

- I appreciate that the Amazons are established as having a definite fighting style. Lots of acrobatics, twirls, cooperation, and making use/being aware of the entire battlefield. You get the idea that the Amazons are formidable because they can do just about everything. An amazon will go from horseback to sword and shield to archery and back again based on the moment of the battle. We see Diana do that as well; when she fights, it's constant graceful moment backed up with her enormous power.

- One downside to potentially moving to the modern day is losing Lucy Davis as Etta Candy. We don't get nearly enough time with her, and it's a shame because her performance is so charming and warm.

- Also going to miss Doctor Poison. Gotta love a classic cackling villain.

- Little shot I missed the first time: nearly a dozen German soldiers laying dead next to one Amazon during the battle on Themiscyra. Nice subtle way of saying "Yeah the Amazons are taking losses too, but rest assured, the Germans are getting fucked up."

- "No Man's Land" and "Action Reaction" are still bangers.

- One thing that became much more clear on my second viewing is how Steve was using Diana despite clearly thinking she is a loon for half the movie. He doesn't believe anything she is saying, but he's more than happy to have a walking tank on his team. When Charlie asks him does he believe her, you can see the guilt on his face.

- Complete fan moment: I loved that Diana goes into the final battle using only her lasso. Because fuck that sword and shield shit; Wonder Woman's primary weapon should always be her lasso.

Also liked the imagery of the ultimate realization of Diana's powers being her esstentially becoming a shield. She repels all of Ares' attacks and fires his energy back at him. Great visual metaphor for the fact that Wonder Woman is meant to be a protector and not a weapon.

- What the hell was she jumping at before the credits? London looked fine.

- I have to address this: yeah it did suck there weren't more prominent women of color in the film or opportunities for Diana to interact with other women in general. I chock a lot of that up to us spending so little time on the island, but it is still a bummer. Hopefully the sequel will address that.

Yeah. Themyscira has a fairly diverse population, with many of the characters changed, but there's not a ton of time spent on the island to establish it all. Some of the scenes cut had teen Diana training with Artemis, and I get why you'd cut out addition scenes of training for pacing. What it feels like is, it's very impressive for a Hollywood blockbuster. Better than most and all credit where it's due. But you wish they went one or two steps further.

There are a couple other backgrounds details about Themyscira that were interesting but kept in the background. Maybe that was enough to keep it subtle. Like their technology based around water power and lack of phallic imagery on the architecture.

Some Lit concept for Wondy found on twitter
DD9U4trUQAAf16N

DD9U7AGUIAAxFlc

DD9U-IbUwAAjjH9

Matt Reeves talking Chris Nolan,

Beyond Hitchcock, Reeves admits he’s also been inspired by Christopher Nolan’s approach to genre filmmaking.

“What I love that [Nolan] did was that he took the genre seriously,” Reeves told us.

"What studios are willing to make at the moment is a very, very narrow band of films. What I discovered is that this genre has the potential to be about something more. You can use the metaphors of the genre to talk about [a lot]."

"I think that the metaphors of both of the franchises [Batman and Apes] enable you to tell stories that have deep emotional resonance. That’s actually what excites me about it. It’s interesting because I was obsessed with both as a child, and yet there is something potentially very adult about what you can explore under the cover of that fantasy. That is what draws me to it, and that’s what I’m excited about.”

“I think the other thing that I really admire in what [Nolan] did was knowing what it is to make a big studio film,” Reeves concludes, “which often can fall into that sense of committee filmmaking where there’s an anonymity to the point of view of the film."

“What I admire in what [Nolan] does is that, despite being a filmmaker in an enormous system, his perspective comes through. That to me was very exciting, it’s always exciting when you see a film of his because of that. That’s what I feel like I’ve been trying to do, it’s trying to allow a perspective to come through despite the fact that we’re in this very large studio movie world.”

I like the cut of his jib.

I just hope that WB lets Reeves do his thing. If he really goes through with his detective noir idea then expect a slower, more cerebral Batman movie with a couple of fights here and there.

Considering how every comicbook movie nowadays seem to need some all out brawl in the third act, I hope WB desn't force him to have some giant setpiece just because.

Ninjimbo

I like the cut of his jib.

I just hope that WB lets Reeves do his thing. If he really goes through with his detective noir idea then expect a slower, more cerebral Batman movie with a couple of fights here and there.

Considering how every comicbook movie nowadays seem to need some all out brawl in the third act, I hope WB desn't force him to have some giant setpiece just because.
The Dark Knight had pretty low key action. If WB learned anything from that film is that a Batman movie could work as a cerebral drama.

Ashhong

To be fair, there wasn't really a universe back then. Nolan probably didn't have to deal with the "committee" type filmmaking for his trilogy.

But I'm sure he wouldn't have had a problem regardless.

Penguin

Look like Batman may be getting a page-one rewrite from Matt Reeves and his frequent collaborator Mark Bomback.

I... was under the impression that had to happen since there wasn't a finalized script. Wasn't that one of the reasons Affleck dropped directing duties

Ninjimbo

I... was under the impression that had to happen since there wasn't a finalized script. Wasn't that one of the reasons Affleck dropped directing duties
I remember reading Terrio completed a draft that Affleck and WB were happy with. Maybe it was just gossip. I seriously think Affleck dropped out because of the workload and stress that comes along with the process. He probably didn't want to be obsessing over every single facet of the movie.

Ninjimbo

What would a Batman movie be in this universe exactly? I imagine it's going to take place after JL and Batman is already an old man in these movies. What are some good old man Bruce stories?

Penguin

What would a Batman movie be in this universe exactly? I imagine it's going to take place after JL and Batman is already an old man in these movies. What are some good old man Bruce stories?

I mean don't need to do old man Bruce stories

You could do most of the on-going stuff since have a built-in, he's been doing this for years base to work off of.

Ashhong

Nothing against Joe, I just don't want him in a role as a villain. Sure, Nightwing would be fine.

I don't know much about Deathstroke, but if he's anything like he is in the Arrow-verse, he could be a good villain/hero, kind of like Black Adam? Maybe? Not sure if BA is one of those conflicted good/bad guys..

Someone found the new basic Justice League figures at some store in Rhode Island: http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3029630#p3029630

They're not supposed to hit stores until August 12th. I expected them to start showing up early, but not over a month early...

The detail, paint, and articulation are definitely improved over the Batman v Superman basic figures. They also have cloth capes instead of the weird soft vinyl plastic ones those had, too.

N1tVOgA.jpg

9Q4waZN.jpg

anaron

If we're all cool, I'm just gonna quote myself from the OT

Other stray thoughts:

- I appreciate that the Amazons are established as having a definite fighting style. Lots of acrobatics, twirls, cooperation, and making use/being aware of the entire battlefield. You get the idea that the Amazons are formidable because they can do just about everything. An amazon will go from horseback to sword and shield to archery and back again based on the moment of the battle. We see Diana do that as well; when she fights, it's constant graceful moment backed up with her enormous power.

- One downside to potentially moving to the modern day is losing Lucy Davis as Etta Candy. We don't get nearly enough time with her, and it's a shame because her performance is so charming and warm.

- Also going to miss Doctor Poison. Gotta love a classic cackling villain.

- Little shot I missed the first time: nearly a dozen German soldiers laying dead next to one Amazon during the battle on Themiscyra. Nice subtle way of saying "Yeah the Amazons are taking losses too, but rest assured, the Germans are getting fucked up."

- "No Man's Land" and "Action Reaction" are still bangers.

- One thing that became much more clear on my second viewing is how Steve was using Diana despite clearly thinking she is a loon for half the movie. He doesn't believe anything she is saying, but he's more than happy to have a walking tank on his team. When Charlie asks him does he believe her, you can see the guilt on his face.

- Complete fan moment: I loved that Diana goes into the final battle using only her lasso. Because fuck that sword and shield shit; Wonder Woman's primary weapon should always be her lasso.

Also liked the imagery of the ultimate realization of Diana's powers being her esstentially becoming a shield. She repels all of Ares' attacks and fires his energy back at him. Great visual metaphor for the fact that Wonder Woman is meant to be a protector and not a weapon.

- What the hell was she jumping at before the credits? London looked fine.

- I have to address this: yeah it did suck there weren't more prominent women of color in the film or opportunities for Diana to interact with other women in general. I chock a lot of that up to us spending so little time on the island, but it is still a bummer. Hopefully the sequel will address that.

You forgot to say "Lightning Strikes" is secretly the best track tbh. Such a great, main heroic theme for Diana while the cello one is for kicking ass.

Dead

well not really...yet
I just wanna see the down and gritty Batfleck with a supernatural villain

I think it's time we get Clayface. Literally just adapt the original TAS episode.

Also get a Kate Kane Batwoman movie rolling.

How can they put that in the DCEU though? Would that be Damien? Be a lot to throw into his first solo movie in DCEU..

Dick, Babs, Alfred being less cold but just as snarky, if Jason ever comes back. Bruce is Batdad not just biologically, but fosterwise too. Batman with the fam is the best interpretation of Batman.

Until Timm decided to fuck it all up cause he's dumb.

Top Bottom