• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Yeah you guys are right, I apologize

All good, it's just that the situation unfolding is far too important for flippant jokes. Affleck is far from a good guy, but it's not like we have to make predator jokes to make others aware.

On the topic, I still don't know what to think. The man has his demons and he's tried to at least do the right thing humanitarian wise. But behavior like that is hard to shake. Hope he gets his shit sorted. Harvey can burn though, that man is scum.

Honestly best direction for Affleck to do is take a break from Hollywood, focus on humanitarian work, family, and bettering himself. That’s assuming he’s truly ashamed of his behavior. If, but really when, he returns it’ll probably be behind the camera.

Who knows. With how Hollywood is, he wouldn’t need to do anything and keep on keeping on, like Johnny Depp. But it’s down to if he’ll hold himself to a higher standard. And hopefully he’s sincere about wanting to make amends, to give the women some closure. It’s a tricky situation.

How that all relates to DC movies, jokes aside a recast isn’t a big deal. Predictably the initial announcement will have your think piece from nerd blogs, but in time it’ll be an irrelevant speed bump along the way.

J_Viper

Least you did the right thing after it was pointed out. Thank you.

Thanks for not banning me!

Honestly best direction for Affleck to do is take a break from Hollywood, focus on humanitarian work, family, and bettering himself. That’s assuming he’s truly ashamed of his behavior. If, but really when, he returns it’ll probably be behind the camera.

Who knows. With how Hollywood is, he wouldn’t need to do anything and keep on keeping on, like Johnny Depp. But it’s down to if he’ll hold himself to a higher standard. And hopefully he’s sincere about wanting to make amends, to give the women some closure. It’s a tricky situation.

How that all relates to DC movies, jokes aside a recast isn’t a big deal. Predictably the initial announcement will have your think piece from nerd blogs, but in time it’ll be an irrelevant speed bump along the way.
Yeah a break from Hollywood seems like the best move for him. Even before this all broke out, dude just seemed completely burnt out.

I hope he can conquer his demons and make amends somehow.

Loxley

It's a real shame about Affleck too. For a hot minute there he was making one hell of a comeback - a trio of critically acclaimed films in a row, plus Argo winning Best Picture at the Oscars. Dude definitely has demons in the closet though - between his gambling, drinking and now all this sexual harassment stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he dropped out of Batman at this point. Sounds like he needs to take a break from Hollywood, go to rehab, and find ways to just better himself.

In the grand scheme of things, I don‘t think it will change anything for WB‘s plans. Ben was most likely to walk out after anyway. I am just curious how they are going to adress all this.

As Ahasverus said, I don‘t think this will affect the international market at all - might not even affect the domestic market... but I can tel you guys, I am already debating if I should see this movie or not.

Will probably not watch any Affleck content for a while. I am not a person who differentiates between art and artist.

a916

It's a real shame about Affleck too. For a hot minute there he was making one hell of a comeback - a trio of critically acclaimed films in a row, plus Argo winning Best Picture at the Oscars. Dude definitely has demons in the closet though - between his gambling, drinking and now all this sexual harassment stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he dropped out of Batman at this point. Sounds like he needs to take a break from Hollywood, go to rehab, and find ways to just better himself.

He just came back from rehab earlier this year... and these sexual harassment stuff are from 2004 and 2014.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
In the grand scheme of things, I don‘t think it will change anything for WB‘s plans. Ben was most likely to walk out after anyway. I am just curious how they are going to adress all this.

As Ahasverus said, I don‘t think this will affect the international market at all - might not even affect the domestic market... but I can tel you guys, I am already debating if I should see this movie or not.

Will probably not watch any Affleck content for a while. I am not a person who differentiates between art and artist.
I don't mean to challenge your decision to not watch anything with Ben for a while, but would you also consider the same actions for Infinity War and Deadpool 2 with Brolin's history? Personally, I think domestic abuse is worse than what Ben did or is accused of doing. I'm just generally curious to know people's limits or reasoning's behind things. I am not saying you're right or wrong in your choices.

I don't mean to challenge your decision to not watch anything with Ben for a while, but would you also consider the same actions for Infinity War and Deadpool 2 with Brolin's history? Personally, I think domestic abuse is worse than what Ben did or is accused of doing. I'm just generally curious to know people's limits or reasoning's behind things. I am not saying you're right or wrong in your choices.

I didn't even know about that. I decide from a day to day basis. I don't watch any Depp movies, for example. Like, Affleck is freakishly fresh, so it makes sense to distance myself from his work.

It's not a way that is a 100 % boycotting everything that I condone, it's more of a feelings things, I am not perfect, in that regard especially.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
If Ben is gone I'd rather them fix it in the films then a straight up recast as if nothing changed. I know it's wishful thinking but it's always a bit off putting when a new actor recalls memories from earlier films he wasn't in. Eventually it becomes nomal but that first movie is a little weird.

Generally my stance on separating the art from the artist is the range of artists on hand. Hundreds of people worked on something like Justice League, and this is just my perspective, it wouldn't be fair to take away all their hard work because of one man's problems. And movies are a collaborate process, so there aren't many exceptions for me in the medium. Others see things differently and that's fine.

Sambrez_

Whew... I don't think we're at the end of this hollywood implosion, heard today that french actress were also involved, Emma De Caunes, Lea Seydoux, Judith Godrèche. Lea said that everybody knew but nobody said anything, wich doesn't exculpate Ben as for knowing, but he's not the only one involved.

I think a recast would be the best option for WB, but I thought that before the scandals... Marvel did it with Edward Norton/Mark Ruffalo.

I watch and enjoy movies and music from far bigger pieces of crap tbh. like Polanski is one of my GOATs and he's a reprehensible human being. everybody's different though, I understand if people would want to boycott stuff considering the people behind and in front of the camera.

jey_16

Banned
i'm wondering how all of this Affleck news will affect the reaction to the film? it's not going to make the press junket easy with Ben around and I wouldn't be surprised if some critics have their knives out now

okdakor

i'm wondering how all of this Affleck news will affect the reaction to the film? it's not going to make the press junket easy with Ben around and I wouldn't be surprised if some critics have their knives out now

You loved the sad affleck meme from last year ? We surpassed ourselves !

Busty

Banned
I've deliberately been keeping a low profile on GAF over this Weinstein story because there's no way you can make a drive by comment on stuff like this. You either have to stay and 'unpack' the whole thing, the full inner 'ick' workings of showbiz etc, or just avoid it entirely.

I just feel like momentum has been shifting toward Affleck leaving the role of Batman for months now and WB themselves just want a fresh start. Between the drinking and now this groping revelation I think that the studio will want someone a little more low profile and, dare I say it, 'wholesome'.

I imagine they'll stay in business with him but the studio (first look deal, other films) themselves probably realise that they need a new figurehead to lead the DCU and Justice League will be Affleck's last outing as Batman unless something radical happens.

I fully expect Affleck to (again, unless something radical happens) announce he's leaving the Batman role in Feb/March next year and another actor plays the role moving forward.

I didn't even know about that. I decide from a day to day basis. I don't watch any Depp movies, for example. Like, Affleck is freakishly fresh, so it makes sense to distance myself from his work.

It's not a way that is a 100 % boycotting everything that I condone, it's more of a feelings things, I am not perfect, in that regard especially.

So basically if Brolin was in a DC film you'd boycott it but since he's in Deadpool 2, a Marvel film, you'll muster the inner strength to forgive him and move on.

Truly, you are an inspiration to us all.

Effect

You're assuming they weren't out before. I doubt this changes anything on that front. If anything his presence could be decreased to outlets that agree not to bring up the topic while they're there specifically to push the film.

J_Viper

What I'm curious about is if WB pushes for a AAA star again for Wayne, or if WW taught them they can cast an unknown and still be highly successful

Effect

What I'm curious about is if WB pushes for a AAA star again for Wayne, or if WW taught them they can cast an unknown and still be highly successful

I actually doubt they go the AAA route. It's not really needed. Batman as an IP does a lot of the heavy lifting automatically. The actor just has to be good in the role. He'll become a house hold name after the fact. I think the director and first trailer are far more important to be honest. If anything a AAA actor in the main role might be more trouble then they're worth as Affleck has been a times with the whole will he or won't he nonsense and now possibly this latest stuff.

jey_16

Banned

the question is do they want to stick with the older/veteran Bruce Wayne or go down a different path? In theory, a mid 40's Batman sounds good but when you take into account the years of pre-production and filming that these movies require and the fact that your building a universe with multiple films, it doesn't really give you much time

Flashpoint could be the key if they want to reset

the question is do they want to stick with the older/veteran Bruce Wayne or go down a different path? In theory, a mid 40's Batman sounds good but when you take into account the years of pre-production and filming that these movies require and the fact that your building a universe with multiple films, it doesn't really give you much time

Flashpoint could be the key if they want to reset

I definitely think they're going to switch to a younger Batman. The question is how much younger.

I feel like Armie Hammer is the realistic and logical option for Warner Bros to go with if they want to keep the DCEU Batman similar to Affleck's take on the role. Considerably younger, but still a very similar build in body.

That said, I could also see WB deciding to try and go with a more noticeably different take on Batman in order to give the role some space from Affleck. In that situation, I think Oscar Isaac would be the perfect man for the job.

I'll throw my hat around Jake Gyllenhaal. Nocturnal Animals and Nightcrawler, :wow:. Man is one of the GOATS.

Jake's definitely someone I could see getting the role. I've also speculated once or twice that Matt Reeves might go with Toby Kebbell too, given their history together on Reeves' Planet of the Apes films.

Oddly enough though, I could also just as easily see Gyllenhaal or Kebbell replacing Leto as the Joker as I could see them replacing Affleck as Batman.

Yes, what he did was absolutely terrible, but I believe in second chances.

I was given a second chance and that opened my eyes.

A second chance is one thing.

Being paid millions to do a job is another. There's nothing that says giving Mel (or anyone) a second chance at life after royally fucking up in such a disgusting manner means we have to be ok with them having opportunities such as this.

Cheebo

Banned
Yes, what he did was absolutely terrible, but I believe in second chances.

I was given a second chance and that opened my eyes.

Gibson didn't make one mistake. He kept making the same mistakes over and over and over for years. He has blown through his second, third, fourth, and so on chances.

He is racist and sexist and clearly isn't changing.

Top Bottom