• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Ashhong

A second chance is one thing.

Being paid millions to do a job is another. There's nothing that says giving Mel (or anyone) a second chance at life after royally fucking up in such a disgusting manner means we have to be ok with them having opportunities such as this.

He never said you have to be ok with anything

Raptor

He still is a great director tho, nothing can change that fact, wheter we are ok with the fact that hes a racist piece of trash of human being is another matter completly.

Neophant

Bayona's had a really solid portfolio of films, from the aforementioned A Monster Calls (which is probably my favourite film I've seen this year) to The Impossible with Ewan McGregor and The Orphanage, a WB (Spain) production. I'll probably end up watching Jurassic World 2 even though I wasn't a big fan of the first one and he's my number one choice for directing a Man of Steel sequel.

BadAss2961

Hate to say it with The Donald killing the term for everybody, but Affleck's caught up in a witch hunt. By all means, take out those who are legitimate dangers to society. The Weinstein's of the world with their obsessive, systematic abuse of power. But a campaign to lump Ben's actions with a guy like that is ridiculous.

Now that crowd is trying to bring Momoa into this for a spontaneous edgy joke he made. A guy known for being a playful joker in public who plays up his wildman rockstar look.

Hate to say it with The Donald killing the term for everybody, but Affleck's caught up in a witch hunt. By all means, take out those who are legitimate dangers to society. The Weinstein's of the world with their obsessive, systematic abuse of power. But a campaign to lump Ben's actions with a guy like that is ridiculous.

Now that crowd is trying to bring Momoa into this for a spontaneous edgy joke he made. A guy known for being a playful joker in public who plays up his wildman rockstar look.

Imma let Ben hold his own nuts.

PBY

Banned

Came into this thread to see how people were reacting. Mostly good (people are good!), but also, not shocking.

Come the fuck on dude. Ben Affleck doesn't know you. Its a stupid superhero movie. Jesus.

BadAss2961

Came into this thread to see how people were reacting. Mostly good (people are good!), but also, not shocking.

Come the fuck on dude. Ben Affleck doesn't know you. Its a stupid superhero movie. Jesus.
Has nothing to do with the movies. Just my honest take.

I get it with Momoa, but Affleck knowingly enabled a rapist.

That's not ok, and it's every bit as dangerous. The backlash against him is exactly what it should be. I don't imagine you'd be shaking your head if he'd known Weinstein murdered someone in cold blood and told nobody.

BadAss2961

That's not ok, and it's every bit as dangerous. The backlash against him is exactly what it should be. I don't imagine you'd be shaking your head if he'd known Weinstein murdered someone in cold blood and told nobody.
If Affleck enabled a rapist, so did countless others in Hollywood, as well as its enthusiasts.

Weinstein was an open secret they all knew about to an extent. Not only did they know about him, but they laughed it off and even joked about it publicly.

Ashhong

It has nothing to do with the character man. Affleck did some bad stuff, but unless more comes out, it's obviously nowhere close to Harvey. And yet, new news about Harvey is being reported on in the Affleck thread as if he's an accomplice or something. It just feels like they should be separate conversations.

Give me a break dude. He didn't knowingly enable a rapist. That's the kind of bullshit that BadAss is pointing out. People are making him out to be as bad as Weinstein at this point when he's nowhere near it

Penguin

If Affleck enabled a rapist, so did countless others in Hollywood, as well as its enthusiasts.

Weinstein was an open secret they all knew about to an extent. Not only did they know about him, but they laughed it off and even joked about it publicly.

just so we're clear, the issue here isn't that Ben possibly enabled Weinstein, but the fact that he may have engaged in similar behavior with women at various points in the past few years.

We have had I believe 2-3 women come forward now

J_Viper

I'm not defending Affleck's actions here, but c'mon, this is a bit much.

Weinstein is perhaps the most powerful man in the industry, and he's most likely armed with the most powerful lawyers out there. Any accusation would have been met with career suicide, and maybe even a lawsuit. I'm not sure why some are saying Ben should have single handedly went after him. I don't think it's that simple.

Ben stayed silent for so long for the same reasons everyone else did, they were afraid. Hell, I'd be too.

Well, yeah. And guess what? Every single one of those people needs to burn. Ben doesn't get away with it on account of "well, everyone knew, so..." even if everyone that needs to be punished won't be. It sucks that Ben is gonna be one of the few that gets outed for it, but you don't spare the one cockroach you catch out on account of there being hundreds more hidden from view. That isn't how this works.

It has nothing to do with the character man. Affleck did some bad stuff, but unless more comes out, it's obviously nowhere close to Harvey. And yet, new news about Harvey is being reported on in the Affleck thread as if he's an accomplice or something. It just feels like they should be separate conversations.

Give me a break dude. He didn't knowingly enable a rapist. That's the kind of bullshit that BadAss is pointing out. People are making him out to be as bad as Weinstein at this point when he's nowhere near it

Did one of Weinstein's victims not come forward and point out she told Ben she was raped, and his reaction was more or less "dammit, I told him to stop that?" Did I imagine that happening?

There is no, "what Weinstein did was way worse" here. Obviously that's true, but that doesn't make Ben any less guilty for his own actions (or lack thereof). And it's discouraging that a lot of people don't get that.

An accomplice isn't innocent just because they're not as much of a monster as whoever they covered for. They're just guilty of something else. And knowing that someone raped someone and doing nothing about it makes you very much guilty.

just so we're clear, the issue here isn't that Ben possibly enabled Weinstein, but the fact that he may have engaged in similar behavior with women at various points in the past few years.

This is also a fucking issue, and I'm not sure why it's being covered up here too. I'm focusing on the other end because I don't get how on Earth anyone could seriously argue that it isn't also extremely gross. Not saying he should've singlehandedly brought the man down, because he can't do that. Complete inaction is unacceptable though.

Ashhong

Did one of Weinstein's victims not come forward and point out she told Ben she was raped, and his reaction was more or less "dammit, I told him to stop that?" Did I imagine that happening?

There is no, "what Weinstein did was way worse" here. Obviously that's true, but that doesn't make Ben any less guilty for his own actions (or lack thereof). And it's discouraging that a lot of people don't get that.

An accomplice isn't innocent just because they're not as much of a monster as whoever they covered for. They're just guilty of something else. And knowing that someone raped someone and doing nothing about it makes you very much guilty.

What the fuck do you want Ben to do after being told that? Is he a prosecutor? Why is it his responsibility to fight Harvey? He is not an accomplice for not taking action. Please show me the law that says that you have to report a rape that you heard about second hand. If that was true then the victim would also be "very much guilty" for not reporting it. That makes no sense. Like, at all.

Also, we barely know any details about it. You have no idea if Rose told Ben to not say anything. If she was too afraid to say anything about it herself for various reasons, why would she want Ben to? Presumably the same fallout would happen regardless of who accuses Harvey.

This is the thing for me. If he was quiet about Weinstein, that's ugly, but there's a lot of systematic issues that have little to do with individual behavior at play there.

If he's going around groping people he's a trash human.

What the fuck do you want Ben to do after being told that? Is he a prosecutor? Why is it his responsibility to fight Harvey? He is not an accomplice for not taking action. Please show me the law that says that you have to report a rape that you heard about second hand. If that was true then the victim would also be "very much guilty" for not reporting it. That makes no sense. Like, at all.

Also, we barely know any details about it. You have no idea if Rose told Ben to not say anything. If she was too afraid to say anything about it herself for various reasons, why would she want Ben to? Presumably the same fallout would happen regardless of who accuses Harvey.

Rose outing Ben's hypocrisy herself pretty much underlines that that isn't what happened during their exchange. If anything, telling Ben who's reaction was "yeah, I knew, I told him to stop and he didn't, darn" probably made her not wanna tell anyone else about it because it betrayed just how much of a fuck people wouldn't give about it.

Yes, Ben was probably scared of what would happen. No there is not a law requiring someone report a rape. But that is an excuse. The entire practice of silencing these incidents is trash. Hiding behind "well, you're not legally obligated to do it" is trash, as is waving away the fact Ben continued to work with and benefit from his relationship with Weinstein. And no, I have no reason to give Ben the benefit of the doubt given these further allegations about his own misbehavior.

Ross61

This is the thing for me. If he was quiet about Weinstein, that's ugly, but there's a lot of systematic issues that have little to do with individual behavior at play there.

If he's going around groping people he's a trash human.
That’s the thing that a lot of people seem to ignore. There’s a lot of systemic issues that keep people quiet about these things.

BadAss2961

True. We'll see where it goes.

I'm just not a fan of the part-time, temporary lynch mob that comes out of these scandals. Happens all the time.
Well, yeah. And guess what? Every single one of those people needs to burn. Ben doesn't get away with it on account of "well, everyone knew, so..." even if everyone that needs to be punished won't be. It sucks that Ben is gonna be one of the few that gets outed for it, but you don't spare the one cockroach you catch out on account of there being hundreds more hidden from view. That isn't how this works.

The whole thing burns then. Hollywood shutdown.

It's been said already, but the reason why people wouldn't stand against this guy was because of possible career suicide. This is how victims, witnesses, and people who hear things stay quiet, and how a Weinstein goes on for decades unpunished. Sucks, but it's an understandable situation. Easy for people to talk big and condemn everyone when it was never their own ass on the line.

You're defending a man who assaulted a woman because he plays a character you like.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

True. We'll see where it goes.

I'm just not a fan of the part-time, temporary lynch mob that comes out of these scandals. Happens all the time.

The whole thing burns then. Hollywood shutdown.

It's been said already, but the reason why people wouldn't stand against this guy was because of possible career suicide. This is how victims, witnesses, and people who hear things stay quiet, and how a Weinstein goes on for decades unpunished. Sucks, but it's an understandable situation. Easy for people to talk big and condemn everyone when it was never their own ass on the line.

People keep saying this like I'm not aware of what's at stake. It's the same "hey, there are some good cops" argument. If you sit idly by while someone you work with is violating another human's rights, you are not a good person. Full stop. I can appreciate that Ben was afraid of losing his career while also pointing out that that means he valued his career over the wellbeing of another person. Which is exactly what happened with him and countless others. It's disgusting.

Ashhong

People keep saying this like I'm not aware of what's at stake. It's the same "hey, there are some good cops" argument. If you sit idly by while someone you work with is violating another human's rights, you are not a good person. Full stop. I can appreciate that Ben was afraid of losing his career while also pointing out that that means he valued his career over the wellbeing of another person. Which is exactly what happened with him and countless others. It's disgusting.

Rose isn't accusing Ben of standing idly by doing nothing, why are you?

Ross61

There’s more nuance than “your not a good person if you didn’t do all you can” like there weren’t women who weren’t harassed/assaulted by Harvey and yet can’t speak out in fear of a system that would punish them for trying.

Gleethor

It sucks that this came out when it did, a month before JL, effectively pouring a bottle of bleach into the already poisoned well that is DCEU discussion. I've enjoyed Ben's take on Batman and was hoping that it would continue. He's been going through some shit the past couple of years which, combined with being the de facto face of the DCEU, makes him an incredibly easy target for celebrity hate.

But it's more appalling that it (the groping, the sexual harassment) happened in the first place. Fuck him for this., there's no defense. He should know better, they should all know better. I'm fine with a recast at this point.

Where? The only tweets I saw were of her calling him out for lying in his statement. If she wanted something done about it, don't you think she would have told an authority rather than Ben?

No? No one believes rape victims. Seems like she went to him to get a relatively powerful male on her side and was disappointed to find out said male knew already and was content to just...let it be. It's easy to believe she just let it go at that point.

Or maybe you're right. Either way, she's clearly upset that he pretended not to know about it, and there's no way of denying that he did not know about it and just let it happen. Not just with her, but with multiple women ("I told him to stop doing that" sounds like some he knew some serial rapist shit was going on). Why anything else matters is beyond me.

That anyone would try to dress that up is disturbing.

There’s more nuance than “your not a good person if you didn’t do all you can” like there weren’t women who weren’t harassed/assaulted by Harvey and yet can’t speak out in fear of a system that would punish them for trying.

No one's blaming the victims. They're victims and they're traumatized beyond belief. Let's focus on the other people in power who knew and just let it happen because "the show must go on".

Ashhong

No? No one believes rape victims. Seems like she went to him to get a relatively powerful male on her side and was disappointed to find out said male knew already and was content to just...let it be. It's easy to believe she just let it go at that point.

Or maybe you're right. Either way, she's clearly upset that he pretended not to know about it, and there's no way of denying that he did not know about it and just let it happen. Not just with her, but with multiple women ("I told him to stop doing that" sounds like some he knew some serial rapist shit was going on). Why anything else matters is beyond me.

No one's blaming the victims. They're victims and they're traumatized beyond belief. Let's focus on the other people in power who knew and just let it happen because "the show must go on".

Nobody believes rape victims...but they would believe the person that the rape victim told? Who didn't actually see anything himself? I'm just not following.

She has every right to be upset, and I understand that. But there's a big difference between that and calling him an accomplice to rape (I forgot if this was you or not). Have we determined when the Rose rape happened? Ben wasn't exactly "in power" until recently, in my opinion.

Anyway, seems like it's just a difference of opinions at this point. We both agree that he fucked up in multiple ways, I'm going to leave it at that for now.

Ross61

No one's blaming the victims They're victims and they're traumatized beyond belief. Let's focus on the other people in power who knew and just let it happen because "the show must go on".
I’m not talking about the victims, or even the bastard Ben.I’m talking about the unfair pressure that kind of lump sum statement/thinking puts on marginalized people to act in a system which punishments include those far worse than unemployment.

I’m not talking about the victims, or even the bastard Ben.I’m talking about the unfair pressure that kind of lump sum statement/thinking puts on marginalized people to act in a system which punishments include those far worse than unemployment.

Speaking as one of those marginalized victims, I couldn't give less of a fuck how uncomfortable these convos makes those people who are in a position to help in some way. I really couldn't.

Like, fuck your career nigga. We're talking about human rights violations.

And for the last time, no, there is not a difference between Ben Affleck and a rape enabler. Not one.

Ross61

Speaking as one of those marginalized victims, I couldn't give less of a fuck how uncomfortable these convos makes those people who are in a position to help in some way. I really couldn't.

Like, fuck your career nigga. We're talking about human rights violations.

And for the last time, no, there is not a difference between Ben Affleck and a rape enabler. Not one.

Speaking as another one of these marginalized people, I could've give a fuck about a career. I'm talking fucking harassment, assault, or even fucking death nigga. Can you really not see how hard it is for someone like us to not step up?

Fuck Ben.

IconGrist

There's another type of behavior I find incredibly in bad taste. Anyone ever notice the only time Dash and PBY show up in this thread is when there is controversy that may or may not affect the DC movies?

Ahasverus

I did not notice this

ssi8tfa12grz.jpg

What are you doing Joss?

Top Bottom