• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

a916

U73zKyp.png

We're a cynical bunch, I'll believe it when I see it.

This means nothing, the early buzz will always be positive.

Don't fall for it.

Considering it's coming from the man who decided to step out in front of the bus and be the first to say Batman v Superman is a trainwreck.. I'd like to think he's earned some leeway on these types of statements.

Still grain of salt until proven otherwise, but McWeeny gets a pass after the shit he endured over BvS.

Ashhong

The difference with that latest tweet is that the buzz seems to be coming from people who did not like the previous movies. So at the very least, it's better than BvS for those people

Dead

well not really...yet
Considering it's coming from the man who decided to step out in front of the bus and be the first to say Batman v Superman is a trainwreck.. I'd like to think he's earned some leeway on these types of statements.

Still grain of salt until proven otherwise, but McWeeny gets a pass after the shit he endured over BvS.
WW confirmed for shit as BvS ended up being the godfather of cape flicks

I think we'll be fine fam. I am cautiously optimistic for this. It will be a harmless fun ride. An Oscar or two will probably be won, and that's about the end of it.

Patty's got this

I agree that it's too early to get excited. But at the same time, there's a big difference between positive buzz in critic circles versus positive buzz on r/dc_cinematic.

Take it how you will, but some of these early reactions are from theater owners and such for business purposes. Often different criteria when viewing. We'll see.

Ahasverus

Real question is if capekino fans will enjoy WW even though it's following the Marvel formula (aka making disposable movies).
Fixed.

I think I might enjoy it for cinematography alone. At least it doesn't look like a TV show. I'm the most capekino fan of all.

There's nothing wrong with a light-hearted movie (which I'm not even sure WW is) as long as it's more than jokes and exposition. Which is too much to ask Marvel for.

saw Handmaids Tale pilot yesterday on Hulu (shit was so good) and they played a Wonder Woman ad on one of the commercial breaks lol. was pretty ironic going from a story about total female repression to a female empowerment fantasy.

Ninjimbo

Seriously, BvS is going to be hard to top for me because that movie breaks new ground and almost transcends its genre. I'd be content if WW just ends up being solid. The only thing I don't want it to be is forgettable. If I feel the movie is playing it safe, i'll probably walk out of the theater disappointed.

ReiGun

I just want the movie to have a moment or two that actually sticks with me. Everything I've watched in this genre recently save maybe BvS has felt completely disposable. Suicide Squad, Civil War, Doctor Strange. I walked away from all of them like "yup. That was a movie that I watched." (Yes even Civil War. At best, I walked away hype for Black Panther)

It might be sacriliege to say - I don't know what the general reception was - but the superhero movie I had the most fun watching was Power Rangers. Wasn't great, but shit. I liked the characters, the throwbacks to the show, and Elizabeth Banks chewing the fuck out of some scenery. Zordon and them restoring that old feeling.

Boke1879

Yea. Those positive impressions from critics imo are more noteworthy. Lets be real. We were hearing BvS and SS were messes from them first.

Fans are always hyped to see something first. That said. Lets wait.

I doubt the movie gets a 95 on RT but if it's a fun, enjoyable, competent flick and 80 isn't out of the question.

and IDK. I'm getting a different vibe from this movie. It seems people are actually rooting for this to do well more so than any CBM before it. Well this and Black Panther.

I just want the movie to have a moment or two that actually sticks with me. Everything I've watched in this genre recently save maybe BvS has felt completely disposable. Suicide Squad, Civil War, Doctor Strange. I walked away from all of them like "yup. That was a movie that I watched." (Yes even Civil War. At best, I walked away hype for Black Panther)

It might be sacriliege to say - I don't know what the general reception was - but the superhero movie I had the most fun watching was Power Rangers. Wasn't great, but shit. I liked the characters, the throwbacks to the show, and Elizabeth Banks chewing the fuck out of some scenery. Zordon and them restoring that old feeling.

Logan was the exception for me but otherwise I'm with you on that first paragraph 100 percent. I don't think wonder woman or any of the other upcoming comic movies this year will break that movie of the week mould tho. But I'm hoping it's decent. The action looks cool

ReiGun

I'll also say I wish WB were plastering the marketing everywhere and renting out a gat damn blimp for Wonder Woman. Because the whole lead up to this is just about the lack of marketing, with complaints coming from people who are going to see the fucking movie anyway. It's tiresome.

Logan was the exception for me but otherwise I'm with you on that first paragraph 100 percent.

I haven't seen Logan yet but it does look like something I'd be more into.

I just wish there was more to get into with these things. I've either got WB who are trying to mix things up but flubbing the execution, or Marvel Studios who execute fine but have settled into a groove and ain't gonna change while they're still riding high.

Ninjimbo

Even Logan was slightly disappointing for me. Mostly because it felt like a story I had seen already. It was still done exceptionally well but I couldn't shake the feeling that a lot of it felt familiar. It's kind of why I'm holding back on any hype for WW. Even if it's done well, I don't know that it translates to want I personally want to see from a superhero movie. Everything I've seen from WW screams safe and familiar. Plus it doesn't help that I haven't been too impressed from any of the WW comics I've read.

I think I should be the poster boy for DAMAGED. Shit hasn't felt the same since I saw BvS lol. I hope Snyder can elevate it again one more time JL at least.

Generally agree with you guys. I'll give Marvel Studios credit for consistently making decent movies. It's impressive in its own right, especially when you look at Suicide Squad and Fantastic Four.

Marvel Studios is sort of like Ubisoft. Some scoff at Far Cry 4 being like Far Cry 3, and having towers and such from Assassin's Creed. But then you see Homefront the Revolution and you realize it's not that easy.

WhiteWolf

The action and visuals in general look pretty good in the trailers and Gadot was pretty good in BvS. I just hope I get to see the movie Patty envisioned, no more theatrical cut bullshit.

Raptor

Seriously, BvS is going to be hard to top for me because that movie breaks new ground and almost transcends its genre. I'd be content if WW just ends up being solid. The only thing I don't want it to be is forgettable. If I feel the movie is playing it safe, i'll probably walk out of the theater disappointed.

Topping BvS is easy task fo rme, just be a coherent movie without the need for a director cut.

:p

ReiGun

Wouldn't be surprised if Aquaman is structured similar to Man of Steel. Have the main movie in the present day with flashbacks interspersed throughout.

Top Bottom