• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Beyond is the best Star Trek film in 20 years. It actually had great character work, Bones had a role, and it felt like a big budget episode of TOS. It at least understood what made Star Trek great, which Into Darkness clearly didn't. I liked Star Trek 2009 too, but Beyond was definitely better.

As for Abrams. My issue with him is that he can pull off big moments like no one else. He's the king of it. His shots look nice, he casts his movies perfectly, and he is great at action that isn't a 1 on 1 fight. But his movies are shallow as hell, he doesn't care enough about his movies making internal sense, and he is far too fascinated with mysteries for mysteries' sake. The whole Khan thing in into Darkness was unnecessary, and the fifteen mystery boxes that were brought up in TFA had absolutely no payoff in the movie itself. Then there is the fact that many of his biggest scenes, are unearned.

ReiGun

Dat Bullets and Bracelets.
wow.png
banderas.png

Raptor

Beyond actually has some of the most bland action I've seen in a major motion picture in quite a while.

Which is so disappointing considering his previous work.

I agree with this, the action wasnt memorable at all, I remember thinking "shit the opening sequence of the first is more memorable than the entire of this movie"

Ashhong

Beyond is the best Star Trek film in 20 years. It actually had great character work, Bones had a role, and it felt like a big budget episode of TOS. It at least understood what made Star Trek great, which Into Darkness clearly didn't. I liked Star Trek 2009 too, but Beyond was definitely better.

As for Abrams. My issue with him is that he can pull off big moments like no one else. He's the king of it. His shots look nice, he casts his movies perfectly, and he is great at action that isn't a 1 on 1 fight. But his movies are shallow as hell, he doesn't care enough about his movies making internal sense, and he is far too fascinated with mysteries for mysteries' sake. The whole Khan thing in into Darkness was unnecessary, and the fifteen mystery boxes that were brought up in TFA had absolutely no payoff in the movie itself. Then there is the fact that many of his biggest scenes, are unearned.

Never watched old Star Trek, what makes it great? And why is star trek so less popular than wars? What is it missing?

Saw Guardians, really liked it, first refreshing MCU villain in a long time. No WW trailer attached though :/, they need to ramp up the marketing.

Bleepey

People can have their opinions about BvS one way or another but I will defend 'The Superman Question" scene to my grave as one of if not the best scene to ever come out of a cape flick.

Let's not get crazy. The Watchmen intro was better. I do find it weird that people say why Batman never investigated Superman when there is a large inquiry at the opening of the movie.

IconGrist

Let's not get crazy. The Watchmen intro was better. I do find it weird that people say why Batman never investigated Superman when there is a large inquiry at the opening of the movie.

You find it weird that Batman who is notoriously mistrusting of information he didn't explicitly find out himself didn't bother to do his own research and instead just took a random Senator at her word?

Bleepey

You find it weird that Batman who is notoriously mistrusting of information he didn't explicitly find out himself didn't bother to do his own research and instead just took a random Senator at her word?

You find it weird that the Batman whose first introduction to the Superman is a city-wide multi storey street fight fibdsq it believable that Superman can cause unexpected collateral damage in places other than big cities.

Guy Ritchie said he'd want to direct Suicide Squad 2, but Aladdin (or another project) runs in conflict with it.

So I'm wondering outside of the short list we've heard about, who else Warners approached to direct.

Never watched old Star Trek, what makes it great? And why is star trek so less popular than wars? What is it missing?

Well, Star Trek at its best is just taking science fiction concepts, and running with them. I used to not be a big fan of the Original Series, I grew up with TNG, but when I got older and started really watching the old 60's stuff I fell in love. Yeah, the effects suck, and it's a bit dated, but it's great. Kirk, Bones and Spock are just fun characters, and the actors all worked off of each other so well.

As to why Star Wars is more popular? Well, it's really a simpler story, for one, and it's more space fantasy than actual science fiction. Star Trek is also at its best in an episodic format. Out of the 13 Star Trek movies, only 5 or so can be called good movies. The funny thing is, when Star Trek 2009 came out, everyone noted how JJ Abrams made it more like Star Wars and less like Star Trek.

Guy Ritchie said he'd want to direct Suicide Squad 2, but Aladdin (or another project) runs in conflict with it.

So I'm wondering outside of the short list we've heard about, who else Warners approached to direct.

Guy Ritchie should make constantine tbh. Cockney lock stock style constantine starring colin farell

Ashhong

Well, Star Trek at its best is just taking science fiction concepts, and running with them. I used to not be a big fan of the Original Series, I grew up with TNG, but when I got older and started really watching the old 60's stuff I fell in love. Yeah, the effects suck, and it's a bit dated, but it's great. Kirk, Bones and Spock are just fun characters, and the actors all worked off of each other so well.

As to why Star Wars is more popular? Well, it's really a simpler story, for one, and it's more space fantasy than actual science fiction. Star Trek is also at its best in an episodic format. Out of the 13 Star Trek movies, only 5 or so can be called good movies. The funny thing is, when Star Trek 2009 came out, everyone noted how JJ Abrams made it more like Star Wars and less like Star Trek.

Interesting. It's a bit too late for me to get into old Star trek, don't think I'd be able to handle it. I get what you mean by trek vs wars though.

I wouldn't mind Richie on The Flash maybe? What I really want is Shane Black on GL. Like, I think that is the most perfect fit ever.

Ross61

Need some new JLD info. Edge of Tommorow was better than it had any right to be and Doug Liman is just wasting over there.

Top Bottom