• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Ezduo

Banned
Killthee said:
What lv are you and what type of content are you running?
Level 8 but what do you mean content? Last mission I did was clearing some venom distribution factory by myself. Died about five times clearing it, every time I got one or more enemies after me at the same time they'd whittle my health down to nothing in about 15 seconds. I had to stay as far back as possible and pick at them with my arrows and then stun one of them with a spell so I could hopefully focus on only one enemy. Should I be hanging back and firing arrows at them or should I get up and close and use melee? The bow doesn't do too much damage but my melee attacks are able to stun and chain combos together pretty damn easily which kills enemies a lot faster.

Ploid 3.0

Me (left) Shouta (right) ready to jump back in to knock out some exp. I'm thinking I should have went for flash speed as a melee. Acrobatics seem like it would be good for ranged.

5def161efdabb5749499e8391c3fbc07df5bc25a.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ezduo said:
Level 8 but what do you mean content? Last mission I did was clearing some venom distribution factory by myself. Died about five times clearing it, every time I got one or more enemies after me at the same time they'd whittle my health down to nothing in about 15 seconds. I had to stay as far back as possible and pick at them with my arrows and then stun one of them with a spell so I could hopefully focus on only one enemy. Should I be hanging back and firing arrows at them or should I get up and close and use melee? The bow doesn't do too much damage but my melee attacks are able to stun and chain combos together pretty damn easily which kills enemies a lot faster.
There's basically solo content (most of the lv 1 - 30 missions/has a yellow icon in the journal) and group content (alerts/instance pvp/raids/anything with a purple icon). There's a suggested lv number in the journal next to all the missions, I usually like to be at least 1 lv above it to make it easier to do alone. The Bane story arc is solo content, if you're having trouble doing it by yourself try doing a lower lv mission in your journal if you have one, or the sidemissions around the bane areas (you'll see them as a nearby purple spotlight), or a race (again a purple spotlight, starter races are near the police stations/nightclubs) to lv up and make the bane missions easier. Alternatively you can just group up and do solo lv 1 - 30 content with other people. That makes it really easy cause anything they do towards an objective you also need will count for you and vice versa. The only downside is you'll have to share loot, but most of that loot is garbage. Try asking around if anyone wants to group up for a mission or just go to the area the mission is in and send random invites to the people who look like they're doing the same thing.

You'll want to stay back from the enemies for now if you're having trouble staying alive. The game loves to swarm you with enemies and to punish you for using melee without being a tank/being a couple of lvs above the suggested lv. You'll also want to check out the feats tab under the Deeds menu. For every 100 feat points you earn you get 1 skill point you can use in the weapon/movement trees. Almost all the solo instances have feats attached to them, most of them are complete the instance without dying (much easier to do when you group up/are a couple of lvs above the suggested lv). The more feats you complete will mean the more skill points you get which in turns means you'll have more points to spend on your weapon trees/innate stat boost. Try to get Flurry Shot and then Trick Shots. Flurry will become your main range combo while Trick Shots Explosive Arrow will be your finishing move.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Me (left) Shouta (right) ready to jump back in to knock out some exp. I'm thinking I should have went for flash speed as a melee. Acrobatics seem like it would be good for ranged.

[mg]http://i.picpar.com/5def161efdabb5749499e8391c3fbc07df5bc25a.jpg[/img]
No, acrobatics sucks no matter what : P

Ploid 3.0 said:
Wow that pretty accurate on style. Good stuff.

Just tried logging in again for the first time.
http://i.picpar.com/e3ec52de12a1f4dc8102e7d802d7f71e43e59455.jpg[img]

wow[/QUOTE]
I logged in to the PS3 server about half hour ago and I'm still waiting in line. Queue was above 8k when I started and I'm at 651 right now....

Killthee

Billychu said:
Why? Seems pretty awesome to me!
It's awesome for the open world stuff when you start, but later on when you just wanna get to a specific place it just takes too long to glide there even with rocket assist glide. For instance PvP, it's also the weakest. It doesn't have a grounding move like the other two do, the pull move has a short range, you can't attack when you're crawling on a wall, and it's one positive thing (easy escape when near a building) is rendered moot in the PvP maps. I don't think I've heard one person say positive things about it for end game content.

Killthee said:
: P

I logged in to the PS3 server about half hour ago and I'm still waiting in line. Queue was above 8k when I started and I'm at 651 right now....

Yeah I was on my Hero, decided to go use my lantern - get hit with 9k queue. Damn.

Played a bit. enjoyed what I played. I might even upgrade to Premium not sure what to what with it though.

Pretty solo for now unless GAF has a guild already available to join.

Unicorn

Killthee said:
It's awesome for the open world stuff when you start, but later on when you just wanna get to a specific place it just takes too long to glide there even with rocket assist glide. For instance PvP, it's also the weakest. It doesn't have a grounding move like the other two do, the pull move has a short range, you can't attack when you're crawling on a wall, and it's one positive thing (easy escape when near a building) is rendered moot in the PvP maps. I don't think I've heard one person say positive things about it for end game content.
Buh. Is there a way to switch out mobility powers later on?
Billychu said:
But it makes me feel like this guy:
http://images.wikia.com/powerlisting/images/e/e6/Videojuegoblog_alex_mercer02.jpg[/ig]

so it doesn't matter :)

(Alex Mercer from [PROTOTYPE])[/QUOTE]
Why I chose acrobatics

Ashodin

Does any hero play late at night like around 12 to 4 am? I need a leveling buddy! Soulfyre level 7 Fire/Handblaster!

Killthee

Billychu said:
But it makes me feel like this guy:
[ig]http://images.wikia.com/powerlisting/images/e/e6/Videojuegoblog_alex_mercer02.jpg[/img]

so it doesn't matter :)

(Alex Mercer from [PROTOTYPE])
As long as you're having fun I guess that's all that matters.

Unicorn said:
No, not at the moment but they plan on adding movement respec tokens to the Marketplace (real cash in game store).

Ezduo

Banned
Dunlop said:
lol I have 30 minutes of time to kill, logged on and was 9872 in queue
I was 5000 or so but after the queue was done my game got stuck at the loading screen. Just restarted the game and I'm back in the queue with 5000 people ahead of me. SIGH.

Dunlop

dont have time to play anymore but left it running for kicks, 5806 now ; )

I'll be in when I put my kids down for bed later tonight :p

daycru

The wait times are nuts, is that standard for F2P MMO's? Been sitting here for 20 minutes, only half way down the queue. What I played yesterday was pretty fun.

Killthee

daycru said:
The wait times are nuts, is that standard for F2P MMO's? Been sitting here for 20 minutes, only half way down the queue. What I played yesterday was pretty fun.
They stupidly underestimated the traffic increase F2P would bring to the game. They're adding more hardware to bring the queues down to reasonable levels.

20111106-pum9xrkkjebd5iduyc5mjjdmm6.jpg

20111106-e3h89a1d2wt6ybibcpjqybbymc.jpg

Ploid 3.0

Started over and picked super speed lol. I didn't know I could float on Acrobat and was enjoying that. I know that fun < usefulness in mmos in the end of the day. Don't want to be that guy that can't catch up because he picked a ability that's fun to mess around with.

BiggNife

Does anyone know if any characters created during the beta still exist or were they all deleted en-masse when the game went retail?

Angry Fork

How do you get to Gotham? I googled and it said go to watch tower then tech wing and go into the teleporter, I did that but nothing happens. I hold E and nothing happens. Do you have to be a certain level or something?

Emitan

Angry Fork said:
How do you get to Gotham? I googled and it said go to watch tower then tech wing and go into the teleporter, I did that but nothing happens. I hold E and nothing happens. Do you have to be a certain level or something?
Shouldn't have to be. I can travel to any location as a level 4 person.

dingsbums

Neo Member
Angry Fork said:

Yesterday there were no NPCs/mobs and I couldn't use "E" to go in an instance or use the teleporter. It seems it's still laggy today. Just wait a few minutes and try again.

Killthee

BiggNife said:
Does anyone know if any characters created during the beta still exist or were they all deleted en-masse when the game went retail?
They got deleted when retail came out.

Angry Fork said:
Is this the entrance thing you're supposed to use to get there?

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/613841548901626746/3C44F556618BA5AA5839317C1E34430B30D1FBB9/

edit nevermind I'm a dolt lol I found the teleporter it just didn't say gotham on the map for some reason it said some east end thing but when you get to the tele it says gotham. It works.
Yeah the East End portal is one of them. There's one in the central chamber and one in the hallway that connects the central to the tech wing. There's also one 3 for Metro; one in the central chamber and one in each of the hallways that connects the central chamber to the Meta/Magic wings.

Can't get logged in at all on the PS3. I sit in the queue and then when I am finally able to play it just sits at the loading screen. I've tried 3 times and get the same thing every time.

Ploid 3.0

bloodforge said:
Can't get logged in at all on the PS3. I sit in the queue and then when I am finally able to play it just sits at the loading screen. I've tried 3 times and get the same thing every time.

I was about to post this same thing. I get locked at the loading screen, PC. On my third try now, start over 5k on the list each time.

Killthee

GDGF said:
Of PvP and PvE, which side is the most busy?
It used to be PvP, but now it doesn't really matter. You can switch whenever you want to by visiting the faction headquarters and using the Phase Switcher.

Billychu said:
Why? Seems pretty awesome to me!

The other travel abilities have some good extra abilities that are useful compared to acrobatics, but acrobatics does have advantages such as being able to cling to anything and the grappling hooks rock, especially the vertical one which outside is one of the best escape moves.

Sarcasm

Maxrpg said:
Does any hero play late at night like around 12 to 4 am? I need a leveling buddy! Soulfyre level 7 Fire/Handblaster!

What timezone are you in?

Also I haven't been able to start playing yet..if there is servers what server is GAF on? PS3/PC

Is there a way to leave the offensive stance while flying near an enemy? It's pretty hard to escape a fight when I'm just hovering with my weapon out when there's an enemy nearby.

Just hit level 17 after finishing the Circe arc. The game is finally starting to be a challenge. I must've gotten steamrolled by rhino men over 20 times during the arc. --Minor arc spoiler--
It was fun getting turned into one at the end getting my payback though.

Killthee

OneMoreQuestion said:
Is there a way to leave the offensive stance while flying near an enemy? It's pretty hard to escape a fight when I'm just hovering with my weapon out when there's an enemy nearby.
That's the only major downside to Flight, slow escape when in combat mode. It's much easier to get away when you're Superspeed or even Acrobatics in the open world. If you really wanna escape with flight you're gonna have to spend a skill point to buy Dustoff in the Movement tree. It'll take a slot in your loadout bar and it has a 50% supercharge cost so you can't spam it. When you do activate it it'll give you a short immunity, free you from combat, and it'll shoot you straight up into the air.

Flunkie said:
Holy lag/stutterfest, Batman.

My computer should run this like a dream. Even the mouse is laggy.
Probably just the servers. I know when they get unstable everything in game lags.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Grisby said:
If I get the PS3 disc will I still have an enormous patch to DL?

yes. best to download it at night but that means keeping the ps3 on and unfortunately no background downloading.

Grisby

neojubei said:
yes. best to download it at night but that means keeping the ps3 on and unfortunately no background downloading.
Damn, I was hoping that having th disc might cut down some stuff (I could get it pretty cheap too). Thanks for the quick answer btw.

Dunlop

installed the PC client to mess around with a hero build, 5k queue just to get to the training mode when making my toon? PS3 would always instantly let you in the solo instance.

also is there a windowed mode? I have to end task the game when I alt tab away, it never goes back into the foreground. Didnt have the option on the login screen, hoping it is in game

Satch

Banned
Dunlop said:
installed the PC client to mess around with a hero build, 5k queue just to get to the training mode when making my toon? PS3 would always instantly let you in the solo instance.

also is there a windowed mode? I have to end task the game when I alt tab away, it never goes back into the foreground. Didnt have the option on the login screen, hoping it is in game
On the launcher, click "Options" at the top right, click "Launch" on Game Settings Tool, and there's a box that says "Fullscreen". Get rid of the checkmark in that box.

Unicorn said:

In the beta, I went with Nature powers and you can transform into animals that have different mobility. It was a ton of fun mixing and matching on the fly. Acrobatics to super-speed to Flying

Dunlop

Satchwar said:
On the launcher, click "Options" at the top right, click "Launch" on Game Settings Tool, and there's a box that says "Fullscreen". Get rid of the checkmark in that box.

thx!

Mxrz

I tried to log in today, and it put me in some 4500+ queue, so I played Read Dead instead. I'm kind of happy for the game, hopefully all these people mean they're making a bit of money off the shop/dlc stuff too. The game is pretty good, but I'd also like to see them do well to encourage other mmos to try F2P without gimping basic content.

I did the level 15'ish Wonder Woman quest too. The Rhino guys weren't so much as a problem as the medium-build guys that did some kind of sparkly attack. I was rushing in to kill them before they could kill me. The meteor strike thing is surprisingly effective on most things. I wonder if i should switch to Tank mode even if solo?

Checking out the wikia, looks like some weapons / abilities are clear cut better for roles. That is a bit of a mood killer.

Top Bottom