• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Satch

Banned
Micromegas said:
Was the game always this fucked-up? Crashing. Servers going down. Lag. Queue. Or is it just that Sony were unprepared and this is because of the FTP rush?

Have they said anything, like, yeah, we know, we're working on it?
They weren't anticipating as large of an added playerbase as what they got, so they were underprepared for the F2P rush.

They've been trying to fix things, but it's not working too well. We're going to have to give it a while for the servers and such to level out.

Dunlop

Satchwar said:
I really have a blast with this game when I can get it to work. Getting it to work is always the hard part. :p

Not much to do aside from wait and see, I guess. :/

oh, same here which is why I want it to succeed...which is why I am happy to buy the DLC to encourage a good game and to show other MMO makers that hopefully a F2P model can bring profits

I'm playing right now as kind of a stop gap until Old Republic, just seeing a lot of potential customers being flushed away.

Mxrz

Thanks for the map link earlier. I put that thing to good use, now I'm caught up.

Although gear is basically whatever I can find, I've been trying to keep Defense and Precision up. The latter being somewhat hard. I was up to 75 at one point, but now I'm hovering at 60. But it seems like it matters in blocks of 10.

Jarlaxle

I tried playing this all weekend. I spent 40 minutes creating a character only for it to disconnect and lose all of it. Multiple times it has just frozen on a loading screen. I've actually only gotten to the gameplay once (after a 5000 queue). I enjoyed what I was playing and then it disconnected again so I'll have to start over again. I tried to get on yet again last night (waited 35 minutes through a 9000+ queue) only for it to freeze on the loading screen again when it was my turn.

This is the first MMO I've ever even tried to play before. It's not leaving a good taste in my mouth so far.

DiscoJer

Dunlop said:
world server and login server down.

They are really pissing away a golden opportunity that F2P would be bringing them, each day it gets worse instead of better

If they overestimate the demand, they are stuck with the bills for the added servers and such. Indeed, many, many games have suffered from having far too many servers at launch, only to have to merge them later after the initial rush wears off (and be stuck with the servers, probably selling them off for a massive loss).

I mean, lets' face, even if the servers were up and working fine, will people who could get in still be playing a month from now? A week?

Look at the thread here for LOTRO - there was a big buzz when it when F2P, now a year later, there are like 2 people still playing (and I think we both played before the F2P switch happened).

gotee12

Give it a week or so guys. I get really frustrated with queues and crashes but it will all calm down eventually (either with more servers being added or more folks dropping). When it runs, it's the most fun I've ever had in an mmo.

And I'm a Marvel fan...

Raoh

I'm still stuck on if I want to start over on the PC.

I have a character based on nemesis on the ps3 from the beta to the pre order to now.. but.. i can start over.. still not impressed with ps3 communication and text fonts

Nemesis+4.jpg

nemesis1_copy_large.jpg

nemesis-comic-book1.jpg

C114921.jpg

nemesis1.JPG

Damn you to F'n hell for not making this game cross platform SOE, damn you to hell

Started rolling another character just to see how the other attributes work out after playing Gadgets lol

Does it elevate to something more or is it just Sentry with different ammo?

Using Superspeed, seems fun, almost went to acrobatics, but I also heard it was equally fun.

zulfate

well im finally playing the pc version and wow what a difference performace wise from the ps3

but anyways if anyone wants to add me its Zulfate/villain/pve

On level 9.

About ready to uninstall.

I would have liked it if they had at least TRIED. But they obviously just stopped at "DC superheroes in an MMO". There is nothing here that makes it even a decent MMO. Every single quest is the same. Game-breaking bugs up the ass. Horrible animation. Horrible voice acting. A superhero/villain every five feet without any real context.

Ploid 3.0

Level 14, having fun with this. I realized all the green mission complete notes was unused exp and now I'm halfway to 15 when I just barely hit 14. Now I have to hit 15 before logging.

f57ecf7ab22801babae3310ffc719189faf9b32d.jpg

Edit: I have only played this character for two days and I already look more awesome than any of my classes in ffxi.

Very big oversight regarding the door ways in the Police stations going to the mail box. They are way too small and 1 person and block the entire doorway. wtf is this shit. Add no clip into other heroes please.

Grinchy

Banned
Cloudius12 said:
Very big oversight regarding the door ways in the Police stations going to the mail box. They are way too small and 1 person and block the entire doorway. wtf is this shit. Add no clip into other heroes please.
That's only been going on since the game came out in January. Let's give them time! /sarcasm

Bradach

is there a way to quickly and easily get to your friends location? i spent ages trying to run to gotham from metropolis last night.

Toki767

Bradach said:
is there a way to quickly and easily get to your friends location? i spent ages trying to run to gotham from metropolis last night.
You can Phase With someone to get into the same world as them so if you're in Gotham and they're in Metropolis you'll get taken there I believe. It won't take you to their exactly location though.

mocoworm

Hi, I am brand new to PS3. Owner of only 1 day.

Where do I dload this ? Just search on the PSN store ? I am in the UK. Can I still get involved ?

mocoworm said:
Hi, I am brand new to PS3. Owner of only 1 day.

Where do I dload this ? Just search on the PSN store ? I am in the UK. Can I still get involved ?
It's either under the New Releases section of the PSN store as DC Universe Online Free-to-Play or you can search for it by that name as well.

Bradach

Toki767 said:
You can Phase With someone to get into the same world as them so if you're in Gotham and they're in Metropolis you'll get taken there I believe. It won't take you to their exactly location though.
thanks. i'll give that a shot!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Professor Beef said:
I think I'm gonna make a flyer if I decide to make a new character.
I love flying in the game. Not many games offer the ability to fly in the game world.

Dunlop

Damn Harley Quinn handed me my ass multiple times...off to work

Is there any reason not to be DPS when leveling? I notice when I am in an alert that everyone is DPS. But outside of the XP for completing the quest, the rest seems to suck. Why would someone be a healer or controller toll before 30?

Ploid 3.0

For Harley I just got out of her way when she started going crazy, then fight fight fight, and if I'm low I'd hibernate or break a healing barrel. The barrels respawn so it was just a matter of when Harley dies for me.

I beat Avatar of Sin for his wings. Good for tanking it seems. Collecting a lot of gear.

Saw the update for 'body scaling'.

Downloaded the game immediately.

Went to create a character. Saw the 'body scaling'.

Please call me when this game's character creator is up to date with 6 year old MMOs.

mocoworm

Micromegas said:
Was the game always this fucked-up? Crashing. Servers going down. Lag. Queue. Or is it just that Sony were unprepared and this is because of the FTP rush?

Have they said anything, like, yeah, we know, we're working on it?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-08-f2p-dc-universe-online-player-numbers-soar

"We are over 1000 per cent of our pre-F2P concurrent numbers," tweeted SOE president John Smedley. The downside to this newfound popularity has been log-in queues.

"We're very aware of the long queues and other issues," Smedley added. "We're on it. "We apologise for the log-in queues. We're working on adding more hardware and working on our servers so we don't have them."

rockx4

mocoworm said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-08-f2p-dc-universe-online-player-numbers-soar

"We are over 1000 per cent of our pre-F2P concurrent numbers," tweeted SOE president John Smedley. The downside to this newfound popularity has been log-in queues.

"We're very aware of the long queues and other issues," Smedley added. "We're on it. "We apologise for the log-in queues. We're working on adding more hardware and working on our servers so we don't have them."

I believe they also said subs increased by 120k, so pre-F2P number was at like 12k.

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/22478/DC-Universe-120k-New-Users-Server-Issues.html

I tried playing on my PC but all it does is crash before character creation. And for some reason my PS3 won't install the game. I download the 122MB client, but it fails to connect to PSN to setup the game... and I have no problems connecting to PSN outside of the client setup.

rockx4

gotee12 said:
Did you install the client via Steam? Have you tried verifying the files?

I actually tried installing the game twice and had the same problem. First installation I did through Steam. After repeated crashes I uninstalled and started a new installation from a client through DCUO's website. I had the same problem. It would work fine, but after I selected a server and selected a character gender I would get that error report window. Then the game would crash.

I didn't verify files, not sure I want to reinstall the game again to find out. 15gb download twice was a pain. I would be willing to redo it on the PS3, but i can't get it to start the client setup. It refuses to connect and tells me to check my connection... but I have no problems connecting to PSN outside of the client.

dave_m123

rockx4 said:
I believe they also said subs increased by 120k, so pre-F2P number was at like 12k.

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/22478/DC-Universe-120k-New-Users-Server-Issues.html

I tried playing on my PC but all it does is crash before character creation. And for some reason my PS3 won't install the game. I download the 122MB client, but it fails to connect to PSN to setup the game... and I have no problems connecting to PSN outside of the client setup.

Isn't there a 4 day gap between the 2 stories? Hard to say on exact numbers.

Shouta

Man, these servers are being shit. I can't log on at all. When I did, it immediately disconnects me.

Hm, I was going to try this out and pay for a month or two for a change of pace MMOs and a couple trophies but I think I might wait until early next year when all this explosive influx subsides a little bit.

Dunlop

Impeccable said:
Hm, I was going to try this out and pay for a month or two for a change of pace MMOs and a couple trophies but I think I might wait until early next year when all this explosive influx subsides a little bit.

You really do not need to pay anything to try the game out unlike most F2P, the differences are trivial until you start to hit end game I imagine. I would still give them a week or so to see if they can get their act together.

Coming from AoC-->WAR-->WOW-->Rift, the game really is a fun change of pace.

I fully enjoy the whole playing with a gamepad concept on my PC, I tried Champions online and the gamepad implementation was pretty horrible

Dunlop said:
You really do not need to pay anything to try the game out unlike most F2P, the differences are trivial until you start to hit end game I imagine. I would still give them a week or so to see if they can get their act together.

Coming from AoC-->WAR-->WOW-->Rift, the game really is a fun change of pace.

I fully enjoy the whole playing with a gamepad concept on my PC, I tried Champions online and the gamepad implementation was pretty horrible

Ah, okay. Yeah, giving them some time to get everything together - lots of games coming out and it'll still be here later.

There is one side of me that wants to get trophies for playing though, are they paying members only?

Toki767

Impeccable said:
Ah, okay. Yeah, giving them some time to get everything together - lots of games coming out and it'll still be here later.

There is one side of me that wants to get trophies for playing though, are they paying members only?
They're currently only for Legendary members. Which is kinda strange that you can buy the Fight For The Light DLC but not be able to unlock trophies for it if you aren't paying $15 a month.

Toki767 said:
They're currently only for Legendary members. Which is kinda strange that you can buy the Fight For The Light DLC but not be able to unlock trophies for it if you aren't paying $15 a month.

lol okay, well we'll see how I'm feeling when I go to pick this up. I don't mind paying monthly for games, especially ones that are a fun ride from 1-max level (30?).

Thanks for the info guys.

Enjoying it so far but I keep getting disconnected on the same missions and it's really pissing me off.

Area 51 - Whenever I try to go into the ship I get the disconnect message and the exact same thing happens with the Raven/Titans mission when I try to enter the room after talking to that woman (Zallana? I can't remember). It has happened to me 3 times on either mission
LLShC.gif

Dunlop

J Tourettes said:
Area 51 - Whenever I try to go into the ship I get the disconnect

I beat that instance once on my villain toon on the PS3, lost about 5 times now because pretty much our group is always 4 DPS.

That's why I asked before what the incentive to make a support/healer pre 30 is. I would change my role but the xp during the instance is pretty crap compared to just doing quests (where > DPS is obviously better)

Dunlop said:
I beat that instance once on my villain toon on the PS3, lost about 5 times now because pretty much our group is always 4 DPS.

That's why I asked before what the incentive to make a support/healer pre 30 is. I would change my role but the xp during the instance is pretty crap compared to just doing quests (where > DPS is obviously better)
I'm a total noob, what's a dps?

Dunlop

J Tourettes said:
I'm a total noob, what's a dps?

damage dealer (DPS = damage per second)

In a instance (dungeon), you are normally supposed to have a :

tank to get aggro (enemies focus on him)
dps to do damage
healer to keep everyone alive

there is also a support class in DC Universe in other games they are usually locking down extra enemies to stop them from attacking, not really sure of its role in this game

Just hit 30 and the amount of stuff that opens up is a little overwhelming. Anyone have any advice for which gear I should be aiming for initially? I see there's some level 30 blue gear on a vendor for a single mark of triumph, but I don't have the renown for it (not exactly sure how to get more).

GoldenChicken said:
Just hit 30 and the amount of stuff that opens up is a little overwhelming. Anyone have any advice for which gear I should be aiming for initially? I see there's some level 30 blue gear on a vendor for a single mark of triumph, but I don't have the renown for it (not exactly sure how to get more).
You want to aim for T1 gear, this is the gear that's sold in the different wings of the Watchtower or Hall of Doom. You purchase it with Marks of Triumph-- those can be earned through Duos, Hard Alerts, solo daily Challenge missions and you also get a free one each day in the Vault.

The renown gear isn't that great from what I remember. I wouldn't worry about that. Down the road, if you get your whole T1 set and you have the renown then you could grab some of that for style.

Another nice stopgap before getting your T1 gear right after you hit 30 is to check the auction house for level 30 blue and purple pieces. The purples are iconic-- ie Aquaman's Belt, Batwoman's Cape, etc. Some of these have decent stats. The level 30 blues are a mixed bag but you might find something good there too.

Overall, as a new 30 your best bet is to be running a lot of duos and hard alerts. Make sure to try the one that's starred for the day as that'll also net you a Mark of Distinction (those go toward T2 gear).

Hope that helps.

Penguin

Due to the death of my 40 gig Phat, I upgraded my PS3 to a Slim, and downloaded this game because had a ton of fun in the beta.

Anyhow, created a female flyer with ice abilities her name is FreezeHer (terrible pun)

And my mentor is Superman so far, its just as cool. Kind of dug the wheel for the menu now though.

Jagxyz

GoldenChicken said:

Definitely run some duos and the daily missions. Hard alerts may be a bit too difficult, unless you're a healer.

Top Bottom