• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ezduo said:
I don't understand a couple of things:
-Why is it when I entered an event against Scarecrow it selected me as a damage character every time? I choose Healer the four times it took me to beat the thing with some people but it never worked.
-How does the looting thing at the end of the match work? It was a bunch of candy or something and there were three buttons, I choose need and then a message popped up saying I had gotten a 1 and some other guy had gotten a 57 so he got the items or something.

I started over as a villain sorcerer with a bow. Good choice? What should I be upgrading? I heard the summons suck so I choose the sorcerer path that doesn't use summons. Anything beyond that? How often should I be repairing my stuff? It looks like half my shit is down past half their durability level after a few levels.
Role selection is only there to help out matchmaking, it doesn't actually switch or lock you into a role. It doesn't really matter what role you are/select for the Scarecrow Halloween event since the enemies scale to your level and it's meant to be easy, but generally for PvE instances it tries to group 1 character of each role (2 for raids, but don't ever bother queuing for them without a full 8 man group). When you select Healer it'll dump you in the first instance missing a Healer or it'll pair you up with a tank, troll, and dps in a new instance. When you select both roles (PLEASE DON'T EVER DO THIS FOR A REAL PvE INSTANCE) it'll dump you in the first group that needs either role. A lot of people select both roles (mostly because the game fails to explain to noobs how the system works) even though it's impossible to spec for both and then refuse to switch over to the role the party needs.

To actually switch your role you have to be lv 10 to unlock it and then press either T on a keyboard or select Switch Role from the Actions menu (F1 on keyboard/Up on the D-Pad).

Looting is basically need before greed. The highest need number will always win the roll while the highest greed number will win if no one else rolls need. Do not bother rolling greed with strangers for the Halloween event. There's seasonal feats (in game achievements) attached to those candies and no one else will bother rolling greed against strangers.

Bow is a good choice. The end game tends to punish you for fighting up close if you're anything but a tank. In the weapon tree you're gonna want to get all the bow combos and then focus on the innate Restoration, Critical Healing Effect, and Critical Healing Chance in all the other trees if you wanna spec for Healer. On the summon side you're gonna want to get Soul Well, Boon of Souls, and Transcendence. All your other powers will be on the other tree (Circle of Protection and Rejuvenate are the big ones). You'll also want to spend 2 points in the Iconic tree getting the Healer innates on the bottom half.

Ezduo said:
Oh, that reminds me of another question.

Which should I choose? If I join a PvP am I going to have to deal with a bunch of heroes just camping out somewhere kicking my ass? Should I level more and get the feel of it or jump in and try to hold my own against some heroes?
You'll find a lot of heroes ganging up on you on the PvP side, but it doesn't matter which side you choose cause you can switch back and forth by visiting the Hall of Doom. Enter the Phase Switcher near the mail kiosks to switch over.

Shouta said:
Hrm, are weapons from rewards based on what you selected at the start? I got another quest from Batman and it has a staff as a reward. I think I like Hand Blasters or something ranged a bit more.
I believe they're based on what you can equip. Since you can only equip 1 weapon type till you turn lv 10 the starter missions will only hand out rewards based on what you selected during character create. Once you spend a point in a second tree you'll see the option of choosing what you get when you finish a mission.

Sarcasm said:
How can I obtain it? I looked on store and saw the passes though.
Search for "Free Play" and it'll be the first item or go to the All Games tab -> D -> DCUO Free to Play.

Billychu said:
It must be the server load. Last night it was fine.
Yeah the never ending loading screen tends to happen when the servers are unstable. It'll go away when they fix the server load issues.

Ezduo said:
What does the trick shots unlock for the bow do exactly? And do I have to use the arrow keys to use it or does the WASD keys work as well?
It'll let you do arrow storm (down) and explosive shot (up). I would recommend you get a controller, the game was built for it.

Killthee

Ploid 3.0 said:
What server is Gaf on? PVP or PVE?
It doesn't matter anymore, they merged both sides a couple of months ago and added a portal at the faction HQ. If you get bored on PvE or if you get tired of the ganking on PvP just switch over.

Sarcasm

Question, I moved to Taiwan (I am currently downloading the 14GB for PS3) and wondering what servers will I be on?

Also is it cross platform playing? As in I play with the PC folk too?

Killthee

Sarcasm said:
Question, I moved to Taiwan (I am currently downloading the 14GB for PS3) and wondering what servers will I be on?

Also is it cross platform playing? As in I play with the PC folk too?
The PS3 version is server locked, you'll be locked to the server the download originates from. The N.A. version is locked to the N.A. server (located in San Diego or Austin, I forget which) while the Euro version is locked to the Euro server. The latency will probably cause you to experience some lag in the group content. It shouldn't be too bad for the lv 1 -30 stuff once they stabilize the servers, but raids and instances with tons of enemies will cause it to creep up.

They have the ability to do cross platform servers, but they refuse to do them for "business" reasons. Probably cause SCEA wants the PS3 version to use PSN for everything and have no ties to Station (SOE's PC network) and cause it'll make it easier to abandon the PS3 version if they ever choose to do so.

Shouta

HarryDemeanor said:
The early weapon rewards are based on what you chose. As you get farther into the game you'll start picking up quests with multiple selections for weapons.

That's what I figured. Switching weapons early on sucks then. I think I may restart and try flying instead of Super Speed this time. The first 15 levels are fast so I can do it quick to boot.

Sarcasm

Killthee said:
The PS3 version is server locked, you'll be locked to the server the download originates from. The N.A. version is locked to the N.A. server (located in San Diego or Austin, I forget which) while the Euro version is locked to the Euro server. The latency will probably cause you to experience some lag in the group content. It shouldn't be too bad for the lv 1 -30 stuff once they stabilize the servers, but raids and instances with tons of enemies will cause it to creep up.

They have the ability to do cross platform servers, but they refuse to do them for "business" reasons. Probably cause SCEA wants the PS3 version to use PSN for everything and have no ties to Station (SOE's PC network) and cause it'll make it easier to abandon the PS3 version if they ever choose to do so.

So if I download the one on PSN, it be from NA since I came from there or will it be closer to here?

Killthee

Sarcasm said:
So if I download the one on PSN, it be from NA since I came from there or will it be closer to here?
If you download it from the NA store it'll always be locked onto the NA server while the download from the Euro store will lock you on the Euro server. AFAIK, there's no download available on the Asian stores and there's no Asian server to connect to.

Killthee

evil solrac v3.0 said:
this is very frustrating right now, anyone else having trouble logging in?
It's gonna run like crap and be really hard to get in until they stabilize the servers. It might be best to just avoid the frustration and play something else until they do so.

Ezduo

Banned
How often do you guys die? I'm getting destroyed every 10 minutes or so. When I get two or more enemies after me at once it can pretty much be over in a matter of seconds. Am I just really weak or what? Doesn't help that I choose the damn team heal before the one that can heal me (god dammit).

Hmm is iconic powers worth a point?

And I couldn't seem to damage some heroes today, was whacking away and did nothing. He then turned around and owned me...

Killthee

Ezduo said:
How often do you guys die? I'm getting destroyed every 10 minutes or so. When I get two or more enemies after me at once it can pretty much be over in a matter of seconds. Am I just really weak or what? Doesn't help that I choose the damn team heal before the one that can heal me (god dammit).
What lv are you and what type of content are you running?

OneMoreQuestion said:
Hmm is iconic powers worth a point?

And I couldn't seem to damage some heroes today, was whacking away and did nothing. He then turned around and owned me...
The only ones that are good are the Neo Venom Boost for a DPS character and the innates in the bottom half of the list. There's 2 for each role and you should get them if you can. Hard Light shield is also okay if you really really need a shield and your power set doesn't have one. The same goes for the Lasso if you badly need a pull move.

What level was the hero? If he was 30 he was probably wearing PvP armor.

Mxrz

Wonder Woman told me to fuck off and go help Superman and Batman. But I've been flying around china town, looking for the Investigation bubbles I missed. There's probably an easier way to do this, even if its Googling the locations.

Noticed I was doing quest in the same spot as villains. Would've been fun to pvp with the NPCs and stuff on both sides. Flipped my pvp switch on, but no luck apparently.

I'm new to MMOs so I'm not really sure what my actual role as a Light user is? Do I focus on damage or am I a Controller (I got an achievement for being a Controller at Level 10 when I was just spamming attacks). I should also point out that I am outperforming everyone else when it comes to damage (Scarecrow, Area 51)...

This has been the most frustrating experience ever just trying to download and install this thing... So I spend the entire night downloading 12gb from Steam, only to install it and the patcher tell me that I actually have 8.9gb of 14.3gb? Wtf?

Not only that, but most of what its downloading is because for some reason Steam has downloaded US versions of ALL the movies, so now the launcher client is re-downloading all the EU versions...

Genius move Steam, genius move.

Grinchy

Banned
I downloaded it from Steam with no issues. I've logged in about 4 times and never once seen a queue. I guess I've just gotten lucky?

Sarcasm

I am currently downloading on steam and PS3.

PC is 17 GB and PS3 is 14GB.

Also can I shut off my PS3 and resume download later? If not I am just gonna say screw it and cancel. 4+ hours and barely 4GB downloaded.

Angry Fork

What the hell, I played this last night for the first time just to try it out and it's AWESOME. (PS3 version btw, I could run it on PC though I just never tried it there yet) I didn't expect to enjoy it too much but I had a lot of fun with it. I didn't really take the character selection seriously I just picked things fairly quickly but this game is really cool. Why can't developers make single player games like this? Particularly Superman. Flying outside of the police station with that music/score in the background put a really big smile on my face.

Then I found out you can pretty much go anywhere you can see. I never played an MMO before so seeing tons of people around, lots of battles everywhere etc. was new to me. I'd only seen something similar in PS home.

I can only imagine how fun this kind of game is when you've got lots of friends and a big clan/guild to hang out with. The thing I'm wondering though is, I know in stuff like World of Warcraft I've seen many different environments on youtube but in this one is it only the city? Like is there other 'worlds' or environments you can go to? I'd imagine in WoW people would say okay let's go to ______ together and fight things there and so on. Anyway I picked PvE I don't really care about facing other players and it's really cool.

So if I were to get into this what should I do though? Like I have no clue really what you're supposed to do in MMO's or how to join guilds or whatever. I saw it said go to the police station for your next mission but I was too busy flying around and helping random people fight enemies.

Angry Fork said:
I can only imagine how fun this kind of game is when you've got lots of friends and a big clan/guild to hang out with. The thing I'm wondering though is, I know in stuff like World of Warcraft I've seen many different environments on youtube but in this one is it only the city? Like is there other 'worlds' or environments you can go to? I'd imagine in WoW people would say okay let's go to ______ together and fight things there and so on. Anyway I picked PvE I don't really care about facing other players and it's really cool.

So if I were to get into this what should I do though? Like I have no clue really what you're supposed to do in MMO's or how to join guilds or whatever. I saw it said go to the police station for your next mission but I was too busy flying around and helping random people fight enemies.

Well you go to the moon in one of the alerts, the others are just based off DC comic locations, Arkham Asylum was my favourite alert in the game, great boss battles.

Dunlop

I'm finding it kinda lame that when I finish a mission chain the end comic sequence seems to be for the hero. I could maybe get CGI but they didn't have the resources to write a villian version?

Or maybe it's just specific ones, I just beat wonder gril

web01

Sarcasm said:
I am currently downloading on steam and PS3.

PC is 17 GB and PS3 is 14GB.

Also can I shut off my PS3 and resume download later? If not I am just gonna say screw it and cancel. 4+ hours and barely 4GB downloaded.

Would be nice to have an answer to the bolded, I started downloading this and did not realise the game would be so big. Do not like leaving Ps3 on over night.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
HUGE install size. But I still kind of want to play... I enjoyed the beta but didn't want to pay the subscription fee.

Angry Fork said:

The quests pretty much guide you were to be

So for the sake of £2 extra I was thinking of just buying legendary for a month over the green lantern dlc, do we know if I would be able to keep using the light character once my month runs out?

Killthee

Mxrz said:
Wonder Woman told me to fuck off and go help Superman and Batman. But I've been flying around china town, looking for the Investigation bubbles I missed. There's probably an easier way to do this, even if its Googling the locations.

Noticed I was doing quest in the same spot as villains. Would've been fun to pvp with the NPCs and stuff on both sides. Flipped my pvp switch on, but no luck apparently.
Here you go: MMORPG Investigation list // Map of Gotham // Map of Metropolis

New people won't know how to switch their flag, just enter the Phase Switcher and switch over to the PvP side.

OneMoreQuestion said:
I'm new to MMOs so I'm not really sure what my actual role as a Light user is? Do I focus on damage or am I a Controller (I got an achievement for being a Controller at Level 10 when I was just spamming attacks). I should also point out that I am outperforming everyone else when it comes to damage (Scarecrow, Area 51)...
The icon next to your name is your current role. The flame means damage role, the spiral means controller, the heart means healer, and the shield means tank. Everyone can use the damage role while the support roles are power set specific. It's up to you on what you want you to spec in, Damage or Trolling.

20111106-xwn2c623pn6axma9y94shpu77q.jpg

Press up on the D-Pad/F1 on a keyboard and select switch role to switch it or just press T on a keyboard.

Dunlop said:
I'm finding it kinda lame that when I finish a mission chain the end comic sequence seems to be for the hero. I could maybe get CGI but they didn't have the resources to write a villian version?

Or maybe it's just specific ones, I just beat wonder gril
IIRC some are actually different and some are the same on the both sides, but almost all of the endgame content is hero centric on both sides so get used to it : P

TenaciousNorth said:
So for the sake of £2 extra I was thinking of just buying legendary for a month over the green lantern dlc, do we know if I would be able to keep using the light character once my month runs out?
Yeah you'll keep DLC based characters, but you'll lose access to the alerts until you resub or buy the DLC by itself.

miklonus

My PS3 DCUO DC Universe Online names are
videovac
miklonus
instrumental king
FeenaSik
Lissa Drak
The last 4 are based off of DC characters.

JWong

Banned
I give up. Downloaded 20 gigs for nothing.

Started a new account and got to the character creation screen only to crash like when I was on the character select screen.

JWong

Banned
Angelus Errare said:
Not sure how I'm currently feeling about the game, I mean it's kind of fun but at the same time....I'm kind of confused/bored.
Yeah, it's like that. Most part, gameplay is fun and lore is well... good fanservice.

But the game is somewhat worse than, let's say, Star Trek online.

gotee12

TenaciousNorth said:
Edit: see below

Killthee

gotee12 said:
No, according to the asterisk at the bottom of the free to play page.
http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/
The devs have clarified it in one of their webcast. DLC based characters you make while subbed are yours to keep even if you downgrade your account and haven't purchased the DLC by itself. Access to the DLC instances and the ability to make new DLC based characters will be lost when your sub expires if you don't purchase the DLC separately/renew.

Cloudius12 said:
Just finished downloading this game. Most GAF on PvE?
It doesn't lock you into one or the other, you can switch back and forth whenever you want to.

Killthee said:
The devs have clarified it in one of their webcast. DLC based characters you make while subbed are yours to keep even if you downgrade your account and haven't purchased the DLC by itself. Access to the DLC instances and the ability to make new DLC based characters will be lost when your sub expires if you don't purchase the DLC separately/renew.
I can confirm this. I recently lost access to the DLC and I'm still able to play my Hard Light character. I just don't have access to the rest of the DLC content.

Roto13

Giving it my one try of the day. Number 3000 or something in the login queue. This means I'm going to be waiting to log in for approximately a hundred times as long as I'll actually be able to play. :p

EDIT: Wow, it disconnected the moment I logged in. That is impressive.

Satch

Banned
Cloudius12 said:
Ok Thanks Killthee.

Seem I got stuck loading in :/

Edit: Is there a way to set graphical options before you get in game?
Open the Launcher, click Options at the top right, then where it says "Game Settings Tool", click Launch.

Killthee

Inferno313 said:
So I just found out that Fire is a tank class, lol. Is Fire/Dual-Pistols a bad combo then? :(
It doesn't really matter, at lv 10 you unlock the other trees and can spec out of your starter weapon if you wish to. You'll always have a freebie point spent on Dual Pistols but eventually you'll need it to get the innate stat boost found at the bottom of every weapon tree.

Killthee said:
It doesn't really matter, at lv 10 you unlock the other trees and can spec out of your starter weapon if you wish to. You'll always have a freebie point spent on Dual Pistols but eventually you'll need it to get the innate stat boost found at the bottom of every weapon tree.

Should I spec out of it though? Is dual-pistol/fire a bad combo?

Killthee

Inferno313 said:
Should I spec out of it though? Is dual-pistol/fire a bad combo?
Lv 1 - 30 stuff it won't matter. Raids and end game stuff it still probably won't matter, but you might want to switch to some melee since you'll be up close to the enemies.

Top Bottom