• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Roto13

Mercury Fred said:
Depending on how levelled up your character is, you can just re-spec and choose a different weapon.
I'm at level 5, I think.

I'm using a speedster and was kind of disappointed to see that I can't run while holding my staff. If I just use my fists, will I get to keep my speed while fighting?

Roto13 said:
I'm at level 5, I think.

I'm using a speedster and was kind of disappointed to see that I can't run while holding my staff. If I just use my fists, will I get to keep my speed while fighting?
nope, it is when you aggro an enemies you can't run as easy.

Roto13 said:
I'm at level 5, I think.

Hmm, I can't remember when the option to change weapon opens. Maybe level 10? Also, staff does have some distance/ projectile moves if you check the skill tree.

Roto13

Mercury Fred said:
Hmm, I can't remember when the option to change weapon opens. Maybe level 10? Also, staff does have some distance/ projectile moves if you check the skill tree.
Yeah. I guess so. I might as well just stick with it, I guess.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Everquest 2 is going F2P in about a month. Shocker

- Gold membership in EverQuest II will provide access to all races and classes (except the Freeblood race and the Beastlord class) and is identical in all ways to the current subscription status on EQII Live servers.
-The free membership level will be called "Free" instead of "Bronze."
- Silver membership now costs 500 Station Cash instead of 1,000 Station Cash. (If you purchased a Silver membership in EverQuest II: Extended within the 60 days before the launch of this change, 500 Station Cash will be refunded to your Station Wallet.)

All of this (and more) is planned to happen on the same day in early December (we'll announce the exact date as we get closer):

"Age of Discovery" expansion launch (pre-order available now!).
GU 62 -"Freeport Reborn" launch, free to all players!
Free-to-play conversion.
A brand new website with an all new players section!
And more. Yes, there's still more that needs to firm up before being announced!

When all is said and done, there will only be two types of servers, PvE and PvP. You'll have complete flexibility on payment options. There will no longer be a mandatory up-front cost of any sort.

http://everquest2.com/news/read/current/5028
http://everquest2.com/free_to_play/game_overview

Started last night, and it ran buttery smooth. I had played the beta a little on PS3, but this was a vast improvement.

Other then the long que to get in, the game played flawlessly.

Roto13

So I bought the Green Lantern DLC, largely because I wanted to become a Premium member and skip the queues. Now that the game is more stable, I feel good about making a monetary commitment to it like that. :p

I also realized I can take screenshots, so here's my hero:

DT3uH.jpg

He's a level 5 ice speedster with a staff. His name is Zygmunt, after Zygmunt Wroblewski, the first scientist to liquefy nitrogen. I like the way he turned out. I think his costume matches his power set well.

I'm supposed to get green lantern rings to change an existing character's power set to Light, right? Well, it doesn't matter, because I only have the one character and I want to keep him the way he is. I think I'm going to make a Villain with light powers, though.

I'm having trouble fighting the Scarecrow. The first time I was the only one there and he kicked my ass. The second time there were a few more people around and we got pretty far but he still killed us. Bah. I thought that healing barrel was supposed to keep respawning, but it eventually stopped showing up.

The Scarecrow quest is the only one I have left. I've done a few more and I'm not sure where to find more still. I don't really want to leave Gotham yet.

I found The Penguin's lair but his first grunt killed me in like five seconds so that's a no-go. :p

evil solrac v3.0 said:
so you can only get green or sinestro corps rings? no red lanterns?

Well you are only a reserve member of each, not a full lantern. But they said they might in the future add more colors for players.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
so if I respec do I get to keep all the skill points or what? someone explain.
Yep. All your points reset, and you're free to reassign them however you like.
Satchwar said:
she's supposed to be

get with the program!
I know she's supposed to be, since I'm a villain. But damn, she's such a bitch!
KuGsj.gif

Shouta

I may have to redesign my 2nd character, Lenneth, with a one-handed over a bow. I'm not sure if they're fun or not. =(

Iadien said:
Everquest 2 is going F2P in about a month. Shocker
url]http://everquest2.com/news/read/current/5028[/url]
http://everquest2.com/free_to_play/game_overview
It was only a matter of time for them to go fully F2P after EQ2X. It was a good idea to make EQ Next, PlanetSide 2 and all future SOE games F2P. Now I only hope that PlanetSide 2 also gets a PS3 version sometime after launch because I think it can be really huge after what we saw happen with DCUO.

Shouta said:
I may have to redesign my 2nd character, Lenneth, with a one-handed over a bow. I'm not sure if they're fun or not. =(
Bows are pretty great, especially after you unlock Trick Shot. What's power set?

Shouta

Mercury Fred said:
Bows are pretty great, especially after you unlock Trick Shot. What's power set?

I went for laughs and did Mental because you'd be in charge of Einherjar and the like! I haven't gotten far into it to see how it is though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
HP_Wuvcraft said:
I just want to make a character for each mentor.
Don't bother IMO. Mentors only have 3 exclusive missions, everything else is the same.

If you still wanna do it and are playing the NA PS3 version you might wanna check out the free PSN credit thread. Spend the credit for a free premium upgrade or get the GL DLC/premium upgrade for $5 out of your own pocket.

Went ahead and decided to drop some money on the game and get the DLC. Really surprised at how hooked I got on this, came out of nowhere. I even stopped playing Uncharted. Hah. Been doing a lot of duos/pvp and working on T1 PVE/P gear for my Ice tank. Really just wish I had a decent league.

Made my Light dude, I personally like that we're limited to yellow. :)

0ukZD.jpg

mocoworm

I am going to download this tonight. Only got a PS3 on Monday so very excited.

Can someone please clarify what people mean by 'long queues to get in'.

Roto13

mocoworm said:
I am going to download this tonight. Only got a PS3 on Monday so very excited.

Can someone please clarify what people mean by 'long queues to get in'.
When it's busy and there are too many people logging in at once, you'll have it wait in line for your turn. Premium and Legendary members get priority. It can take a pretty long time for F2P members.

Dunlop

Is there a way to store different styles?

I spent a while setting up my costume but then a "superboy hoodie" dropped so for laughs I made my dude wear regular clothes with a baseball cap..eventually I'll need to make him all hero like again
KuGsj.gif

Dunlop said:
Is there a way to store different styles?

I spent a while setting up my costume but then a "superboy hoodie" dropped so for laughs I made my dude wear regular clothes with a baseball cap..eventually I'll need to make him all hero like again
KuGsj.gif

Once you've worn something it's permanently stored in the styles tab, I think.

Roto13 said:
When it's busy and there are too many people logging in at once, you'll have it wait in line for your turn. Premium and Legendary members get priority. It can take a pretty long time for F2P members.
I haven't had to wait at all. Maybe the EU server isn't as busy.

mocoworm

Roto13 said:

Thank you. That seems like a weird system. In theory, could you not get in ? :s

electroshockwave said:
I haven't had to wait at all. Maybe the EU server isn't as busy.

Me either. I did keeop getting that disconnect issue until the latest hotfix. Was a wee bit laggy at times yesterday.

Roto13

mocoworm said:
Thank you. That seems like a weird system. In theory, could you not get in ? :s
Well when you try to sign in, it tells you where you are in the queue. Last night I was number 4444 when I first tried and it took like half an hour to get in. Then I got Premium status shortly after that and signed in again and got in immediately without waiting.

I don't think it ever gets to the point where there are just so many people playing that they need to lock people out, so don't worry about that. :p

My experiences are all on the US PS3 PvE server.

Roto13 said:
Well when you try to sign in, it tells you where you are in the queue. Last night I was number 4444 when I first tried and it took like half an hour to get in. Then I got Premium status shortly after that and signed in again and got in immediately without waiting.

I don't think it ever gets to the point where there are just so many people playing that they need to lock people out, so don't worry about that. :p

My experiences are all on the US PS3 PvE server.
I've been able to get in on PC with no problems, although that might be due to the times I actually play.

Tried my first PvP stuff the other night, and boy did our side get walloped.

Roto13

Why is the Scarecrow mission impossible to win? Is it because I only ever manage to team up with morons? I'm at level 6 and it's a level 4 mission and I always end up dying.

I can't find any other quests, either. Bah.

Shouta

Roto13 said:
Why is the Scarecrow mission impossible to win? Is it because I only ever manage to team up with morons? I'm at level 6 and it's a level 4 mission and I always end up dying.

I can't find any other quests, either. Bah.

You mean the Spooktackular one? That's not an easy one at all. Also, you should have a ton of quests to do if you're completing them one after the other. Your mentor gives you a big chain, you also have a short Brainiac one at the start.

On that note, I beat Scarecrow at level 6 on my Lenneth char, I got the level 30 trinket from it to boot, now I'll have to bring her up to 30!

Killthee

Some pretty big power balancing is coming soon.

Tunso said:
Hey folks, just popping in to give a few quick clarifications and to expand on some of the information released tonight in the web cast.

Regarding the armor cap and armor penetration, you can now exceed a Defense or Toughness value of 5278. The maximum amount of mitigation you can achieve still remains at 75%. Attacks made by enemies in Tier 3 areas like Fortress of Solitude will now ignore 25% of your base armor. Enemies in Tier 2 areas such as Batcave ignore 12% of your base armor.

Higher level PvP weapons are gaining Toughness Penetration. So the top tier PvP weapons will ignore 25% of your enemies base Toughness in PvP. The tier of weapon just below it ignores 12% Toughness and will also now function as a 97.1 DPS weapon when used in PvP.

Dominance is gaining the role of secondary defense stat.

For Ice tanks Dominance will increase the amount of damage prevented by abilities like Winter Ward and Shatter Restraints. The trivial Defense stat increases these abilities had were removed in lieu of the scaling damage prevention. The damage prevention effects work in either role again but obviously they will be much more effective in the Tank role due to the Dominance multiplier Tanks have.

For Fire tanks Dominance increase the amount of healing recieved by all abilities that cause healing. Dominance also adds to your maximum Health beyond the base 60% when you use an ability. The individual 25% Health bonus effects were removed. By stacking Dominance you will be able to meet and exceed these health levels with a single power rather than having to constantly rotate through several specific powers to maintain the maximum.

FOr Controllers, Dominance means that any ability that prevents damage (like Hide, Reflect Pain, Light Barrier etc) will prevent more damage based on your Dominance score . Dominance does NOT affect your power regeneration though. That's still the domain of Vitalization.

Dominance also increases the amount healed by abilities commonly found in Controller and Tank trees across the board, not just for Fire tanks. So for example, a high Dominance will result in more healing from abilities like Anesthetic, Triage and Hibernation. Basically your healing can now scale despite not having access to the Restoration stat.

Finally for Healers, their Shields will finally scale too. So for example, Boon of Souls and Swarm Shield will prevent more damage based on the Restoration score of the healer.

Glad to see they're finally improving dominance and adding power scaling to the shields and the tank/troll heals.

Roto13

Shouta said:
You mean the Spooktackular one? That's not an easy one at all. Also, you should have a ton of quests to do if you're completing them one after the other. Your mentor gives you a big chain, you also have a short Brainiac one at the start.

On that note, I beat Scarecrow at level 6 on my Lenneth char, I got the level 30 trinket from it to boot, now I'll have to bring her up to 30!
I'll bet there's some way to contact my mentor for quests that I'm totally missing.

Killthee

Roto13 said:
I'll bet there's some way to contact my mentor for quests that I'm totally missing.
Mentors contact you as you complete missions/level up.

You're talking about the regular Scarecrow starter mission Batman mentored characters get and not the lame Halloween Scarecrow event from the On Duty tab right? Pretty sure you have to finish that mission before you get another. Try doing the races outside the police stations and scout near the Scarecrow areas for sidequest you might have missed. Doing that might get you enough xp to lv up and finish the instance by yourself. If you've already done and need help, go to gotham and shout that you need help. People you randomly invite near the area are all probably new to the game, but people responding to the shout should all have an idea of what they're doing.

Roto13

I've done some Scarecrow-related missions already, but the one I'm having trouble with is the lame Halloween one in the sewer. Batman is my mentor. Here are the missions I've done:

Vault Ambush
EXPLORE: Wayne Legacy in Gotham's East End
Aversion Therapy
One of Us
Panphobia
Attack Braniac

I've also Platinumed the beginner races in Metropolis and Gotham and I've gotten silver in the second races. I'm level 6.

Killthee

Roto13 said:
I've done some Scarecrow-related missions already, but the one I'm having trouble with is the lame Halloween one in the sewer. Batman is my mentor. Here are the missions I've done:

Vault Ambush
EXPLORE: Wayne Legacy in Gotham's East End
Aversion Therapy
One of Us
Panphobia
Attack Braniac

I've also Platinumed the beginner races in Metropolis and Gotham and I've gotten silver in the second races. I'm level 6.
That one is a PITA to run with a new character and all the clueless F2P people, I'd login to help you but I won't be back online till the 15 at the earliest and the event is getting pulled on the 14.

As for the lack of new quests, that's very weird. You should be getting new ones as soon as you wipe your completed quest off your journal.

Roto13

The only reason I haven't put off doing the Scarecrow event until I'm level 15 or something is it's the only quest on my list that isn't completed. :p

What the hell. Rearranging my quests in the Journal lets me "complete" one at a time. As in, I can press X to complete one of them and the rest can't be "completed." So I just messed around with it until all of those quests were"completed" and disappeared from my list and now Attack Braniac and Vault Ambush are incomplete again, and I got the Night Terrors quest.

Finally, stuff to do.

Killthee

Roto13 said:
The only reason I haven't put off doing the Scarecrow event until I'm level 15 or something is it's the only quest on my list that isn't completed. :p

What the hell. Rearranging my quests in the Journal lets me "complete" one at a time. As in, I can press X to complete one of them and the rest can't be "completed." So I just messed around with it until all of those quests were"completed" and disappeared from my list and now Attack Braniac and Vault Ambush are incomplete again, and I got the Night Terrors quest.

Finally, stuff to do.
It sounds like you were completing the quests objectives, but weren't marking them off your journal/collecting your rewards. You need to do that every time you complete the quest goals to get the next quest/complete it. The quest icon in the journal will turn green and you'll usually get a message in the right side of the screen telling you to open the journal when you have completed quests in the journal.

Roto13

I thought that was just telling me to pick another quest. It would have been more obvious that I had to finish them off in the list if all of my completed quests said "X: Complete" when I highlighted them instead of just one on a random tab.

Can free players not earn trophies? I got to level 10 and gained the healer role but didn't get the trophy. It doesn't really bother me unless it's not retroactive if I do become a premium player and would have to get to level 10 as a healer with a different character altogether.

Toki767

electroshockwave said:
Can free players not earn trophies? I got to level 10 and gained the healer role but didn't get the trophy. It doesn't really bother me unless it's not retroactive if I do become a premium player and would have to get to level 10 as a healer with a different character altogether.
Only Legendary members can earn trophies and it is not retroactive.

Card Boy

Banned
I made a JC Denton character. I had staffs and Superspeed (was more like Neo from the Matrix) I gave up on him and made a new character

3DBk1.jpg

Also i got 250 Station Points from FreeRealms ages back. Should i spend it on Auction slots or Cash extension? I don't plan i spending a dime on this game, so i wont be getting any extra points.

Top Bottom