• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Grinchy

Banned
Gez said:
Also i got 250 Station Points from FreeRealms ages back. Should i spend it on Auction slots or Cash extension? I don't plan i spending a dime on this game, so i wont be getting any extra points.
It seems like the extra auction slots would be useless without a cash extension, since you'd be making more money that you couldn't even hold onto.

So I read this old post from the dcuo forums. it reads

'First up a little introduction to Iconic suits in general: In total there are 18 Iconic suits available in the game, 9 hero and 9 villain. These are again broken down further by having 3 in each origin wing (meta, magic, tech). The origin you choose at character creation restricts which suits you can wear, so for example a Villain Tech (Joker as mentor) can only wear the suits from the Villain Tech wing of Hall of Doom (the Joker suit, Deathstroke suit and Mr Freeze suit are the 3 choices in this example).).'

And like.. I'm lvl 30 with batman as my mentor. And my question is.. Why am i able/and currently equipping some of Hawkmans gear if hes in the meta wing?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
mocoworm said:
Are there trophies attached to this game?
Yes, but you need to be an active subscriber when you earn them for them to unlock.
batmandarkknight said:
So I read this old post from the dcuo forums. it reads

'First up a little introduction to Iconic suits in general: In total there are 18 Iconic suits available in the game, 9 hero and 9 villain. These are again broken down further by having 3 in each origin wing (meta, magic, tech). The origin you choose at character creation restricts which suits you can wear, so for example a Villain Tech (Joker as mentor) can only wear the suits from the Villain Tech wing of Hall of Doom (the Joker suit, Deathstroke suit and Mr Freeze suit are the 3 choices in this example).).'

And like.. I'm lvl 30 with batman as my mentor. And my question is.. Why am i able/and currently equipping some of Hawkmans gear if hes in the meta wing?
They unlocked some of the gear in the summer and then unlocked the other set in the fall. The only thing that is still mentored locked are the 3 mentor exclusive missions each mentor hands out.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Finally started this up. I'm on the US PVP server playing an old man in a top hat called Thaddius Surprising.

Game is pretty sweet.

PC side.

Card Boy

Banned
Grinchy said:
It seems like the extra auction slots would be useless without a cash extension, since you'd be making more money that you couldn't even hold onto.

Is it an actually a cash extension?

"10K Cash Escrow Withdraw"

"Purchase of this 10K Cash Escrow Withdraw item gives you the ability to withdraw 10K from your cash escrow account"

Does does this mean? Am i better off getting auction slots since free players dont get anything?

Also i am struggling to join this gaf channel on the villains side on the US PVP server. I added the channel NeoGaf. But i cant click on the channel. Wankers in game wont help me and google isn't help. The instructions in the OP aint helping.

Killthee

Gez said:
Is it an actually a cash extension?

Does does this mean? Am i better off getting auction slots since free players dont get anything?

Also i am struggling to join this gaf channel on the villains side on the US PVP server. I added the channel NeoGaf. But i cant click on the channel. Wankers in game wont help me and google isn't help. The instructions in the OP aint helping.
It's a one time cash withdrawal from your escrow account (the place your money goes after you reach the f2p/premium caps). Auction slots will be pretty worthless without more in game cash in your wallet to cover the broker fees.

Ezduo

Banned
Any advice on how to be a better healer or how to protect myself more in PVP combat? I'm a sorcerer bow user and outside of the one spell that takes 50% of my power and gives everyone max health and power none of my spells really seem to make a difference. It takes my entire power bar just to fully heal myself when I'm down below 50% health. In all my PVP matches so far I've actually had other people on my team who weren't healers finish with more health healed than I have. Even the stupid bubble shield only lasts for a few seconds, barely long enough to protect against two hits from any enemy. I just don't feel like I'm making much of a difference on my teams regardless of whether it's PVP or PVE.

I'm about to just start over and go controller or something. Getting tired of this.

Roto13

I threw together a villain character.

QpLJx.jpg

Light powers, named "Strach" (which means "fear," which is what powers the yellow lanterns :p) with flight and hand blasters. His energy blasts and ring powers are all the same colour as him, so I think it gives him kind of an otherworldly feel. (Keep in mind that he glows brighter in-game than he does in that screenshot.)

mocoworm

Roto13 said:
I threw together a villain character.

QpLJx.jpg

Light powers, named "Strach" (which means "fear," which is what powers the yellow lanterns :p) with flight and hand blasters. His energy blasts and ring powers are all the same colour as him, so I think it gives him kind of an otherworldly feel. (Keep in mind that he glows brighter in-game than he does in that screenshot.)

NICE! :D

Angelcurio

Roto13 said:
I've done some Scarecrow-related missions already, but the one I'm having trouble with is the lame Halloween one in the sewer. Batman is my mentor. Here are the missions I've done:

Vault Ambush
EXPLORE: Wayne Legacy in Gotham's East End
Aversion Therapy
One of Us
Panphobia
Attack Braniac

I've also Platinumed the beginner races in Metropolis and Gotham and I've gotten silver in the second races. I'm level 6.
Just started playing this game on USPS3. I have never played a MMO before so i'm still kind of lost with all the communications, tabs and screens that the game has. I made an acrobatic fire based character named Firecurio, currently at level 6, and that Scarecrow mission is really hard, i died at least 7 times last night before giving up.

Also, i didn't know that the game would save your progress on their servers instead of your console. I discovered when i logged on my second PS3, and had all my stuff, even though i had bever played the game on that PS3.

Roto13

Angelcurio said:
Just started playing this game on USPS3. I have never played a MMO before so i'm still kind of lost with all the communications, tabs and screens that the game has. I made an acrobatic fire based character named Firecurio, currently at level 6, and that Scarecrow mission is really hard, i died at least 7 times last night before giving up.
Are you talking about the Spooktacular event? That one is optional. The Scarecrow storyline mission is pretty similar but isn't as hard.

Angelcurio

Roto13 said:
Are you talking about the Spooktacular event? That one is optional. The Scarecrow storyline mission is pretty similar but isn't as hard.
I did the storyline one on my first try, my problem is with the Spooktacular event.

Killthee

Ezduo said:
Any advice on how to be a better healer or how to protect myself more in PVP combat? I'm a sorcerer bow user and outside of the one spell that takes 50% of my power and gives everyone max health and power none of my spells really seem to make a difference. It takes my entire power bar just to fully heal myself when I'm down below 50% health. In all my PVP matches so far I've actually had other people on my team who weren't healers finish with more health healed than I have. Even the stupid bubble shield only lasts for a few seconds, barely long enough to protect against two hits from any enemy. I just don't feel like I'm making much of a difference on my teams regardless of whether it's PVP or PVE.

I'm about to just start over and go controller or something. Getting tired of this.
Feats. Feats. Feats.

You get feat points for every feat you complete and once you get 100 feat points you get an extra skill point. The weapon trees are filled with stat boost and you need to have around ~70 skill points to max out your role. As a healer you need to focus on getting your restoration up and your critical heal effect/chance.

If you do decide to switch to a new character you'll feel just as ineffective as you do now until you get some more skill points. Especially if you switch to a troll cause low skill points = low power out = everyone screaming for more power. Many people just assume that the grind in the game is getting to lv 30 or getting geared, but skill points are the true grind.

mocoworm

Tried to dload this earlier but the dload kept hanging. The small initial one was fine, then I installed but then the big 1.4gb dload wouldn't work. Really want to play this as well.

I didn't realise that you could only do the spooktacular event once a day our that there were feats associated with eating the candy. I managed to buy the tank gear but looks like I won't be able to afford much else.

I've also been passing on the candies :lol

Oh man, when you get a bad group in the harder alerts it really shows. Had a bunch of people who refused to switch roles (I was a tank) and they all chose to be damage. After we wiped tot he start of Area 51 hard mode 3 times, they finally switched and one of them was a healer, go figure.

This on top of the fact that our fire damage guy was reckless, jumped into every group of mobs, complaining when he died and that i was too slow with "rushing in".

We managed to sloppily finish the alert with him being at the top of the ranking (he was the only one in damage role in the end) and then told us he was amazing and zoned. Good shit. I wished him the best of luck in the harder missions.

Angelcurio

Is there some kind of league of GAF PS3 users? Doing some of the missions with total strangers can get a little bit boring sometimes.

yencid

i played through area 51 yesterday with 2 Yellow lanterns... Maybe one of you guys were with me? SteelSpark was the name. Character was fire based.

yencid

Whoa guys! is there any way to capture screenshots on the ps3? I went through my gallery today and there is a DC universe folder with 2 screens but i dont know how i took them/ how they got there

Roto13

yencid said:
Whoa guys! is there any way to capture screenshots on the ps3? I went through my gallery today and there is a DC universe folder with 2 screens but i dont know how i took them/ how they got there
Press up on the dpad. The first option on the menu takes a screenshot. (It's how I took the picture of my character up there.)

Killthee

Roto13 said:
Press up on the dpad. The first option on the menu takes a screenshot. (It's how I took the picture of my character up there.)
F9 on a keyboard will also work.

El'Kharn

yencid said:
thanks dude. Heres my character! Im loving the costume so far.
5li9O.jpg

0SFs5.jpg

and the gun too!

Holy crap man, blinded by the awesome :D
I'll have to post a pic of mine...tho she kind of looks like a hooker with wings

dreamer3kx said:
Interface on the ps3 version is a damn mess, got my as kicked on the first mission in the sewers, whats going on here?!

Interface is pretty good, should have seen the old one which was incredibad

Roto13

yencid said:
http://i.imgur.com/5li9O.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0SFs5.jpg[IMG]
and the gun too![/QUOTE]
Very nice. Character creation is pretty good in this game.

Killthee

Update 6 is going up today.

It adds FoS3, the balance tweaks for defense/dominance/shields/self heals, and it looks like they dumped the lv 30 quest dump you get and replaced it with a slower progression based on the gear you have.

Crafting was pushed back to Update 7.

falconzss

Killthee said:
Update 6 is going up today.

Just started playing today after the download took the whole night to finish. How long are the servers usually offline if they perform an update?

Edit: Approximately 2 hours downtime.

Angelcurio

yencid said:
5li9O.jpg

0SFs5.jpg

and the gun too!
Looks really good, more like a mech than a super hero. It really puts my character creation skills to shame :lol

Killthee

falconzss said:
Just started playing today after the download took the whole night to finish. How long are the servers usually offline if they perform an update?
Scheduled downtime is 2 hours, but they rarely finish on schedule. Since the updates are supposed to be smaller going forward they might be able to stick to the schedule, but I doubt it.

falconzss

Killthee said:
Scheduled downtime is 2 hours, but they rarely finish on schedule. Since the updates are supposed to be smaller going forward they might be able to stick to the schedule, but I doubt it.

I hope they will. Downloading the patch and the new assets right now.

yencid

Angelcurio said:
Looks really good, more like a mech than a super hero. It really puts my character creation skills to shame :lol
dont worry, he is a villain ;)

but awweee today is when armor penetration sets in for fire tanks :(

IM BEAST WITH FIRE! NO FAIR!

yencid said:
dont worry, he is a villain ;)

but awweee today is when armor penetration sets in for fire tanks :(

IM BEAST WITH FIRE! NO FAIR!

Ice tanks are getting it, too. ;_; I just hope I can still run FoS1 without getting wiped continuously.

FoS2 ... our league has yet to beat the first boss (Prime Assassin). Good God is he tough and our strategy isn't working.

Killthee

NihonTiger90 said:
Ice tanks are getting it, too. ;_; I just hope I can still run FoS1 without getting wiped continuously.

FoS2 ... our league has yet to beat the first boss (Prime Assassin). Good God is he tough and our strategy isn't working.
I think armor penetration won't affect current content, it's just future proofing the system. Apparently the old system had a defense hard cap and some ice tanks were hitting it. Here's a dev post explaining how FoS raids remain unchanged:

Tunso said:
The damage output for Tier 3 mobs was reduced so combined with the increased armor but with the armor penetration, overall damage output is unchanged. We've run the raids internally with this change to make sure the difficulty was the same. Also note we run it in full T2, so if you have any T3 already it may be ever so slightly easier.

What strategy are you using for the Prime Assassin? I've only had time to do it once since the crystal buff, but what we did was basically had the tank on the boss, a couple of the dps go after the crystals, and everyone else on the adds. When the crystals went down the DPS's helped us with the adds and then we all focused on the boss. We just kept doing that until the boss went.

Sblargh

Banned
So, is GAF playing together after it went F2P or people are still doing their own thing? This time, I'm staying away from any league is not GAF-Sponsored. Too much drama.

Sblargh said:
So, is GAF playing together after it went F2P or people are still doing their own thing? This time, I'm staying away from any league is not GAF-Sponsored. Too much drama.
I've only run into one other gaffer in the game, being split by platform and then further split by faction makes it quite the pain to set anything up.

Someone was playing music on the PC channel the other night though.

Grinchy

Banned
Ad Infinitum said:
been downloading for 10ish minutes and it only just got to 1%. i've got a 30mb connection...

is it normally this slow?
I just assumed it wasn't actually downloading earlier. I guess it was just slow. I haven't been able to get online the last 4 times that I've tried to log in. I see this game is just as annoying as it was when I actually paid for it. I either enjoy this game or I'm a huge masochist.

edit- just started the launcher back up and the update has been downloading quickly

Dunlop

fawk forgot it was an update today. I haven't been able to play for the last few days but had been home for hours and could have easily started it then ; (

Shouta

Sblargh said:

I've been playing off and on with some friends and family, myself. I'm a level 26 Hand Blaster/Sorcery/Super Speed Hero.

I finally specc'd for AoE damage on Sorcery and sheesh, talk about pumping it out for large groups of foes. Does great damage but I'm like a paper bag so I die faster than I want.

Roto13

I'm still not entirely sure how multiplayer works. I know I can join a group and keep track of the people in it (not talking about a league, but just a small temporary group) but there has to be more to it than that. Some way to do the same missions.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Here's my hero. His name's Thaddius Surprising.

2ue33ad.jpg

Thaddius Montgomery Clune was an aging dandy from the Edwardian era. One quiet and uneventful day he sipped on a magical cup of tea that gave him superpowers. And now when people see him flying about they point to the sky and proclaim Thaddius Surprising!

Top Bottom