• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Sarcasm

I made an Ice something with duel wielding weapons. I think I picked the tank. So how do I pick my stuff for the job and gear up for?

Is it normal for long loading right after creating a character for the first time, not sure if its stuck or what, only trophies for paid subscription, jeez.

Dunlop

anyone know where the respec is in the watchtower, i know it is supposed to be in the aggricultural area in the tech wing but I cannot freakin find it (aggriculture area)

Sarcasm

Dunlop said:
anyone know where the respec is in the watchtower, i know it is supposed to be in the aggricultural area in the tech wing but I cannot freakin find it (aggriculture area)

Bottom left corner. I could show you perhaps if we can meet up. Hero here.

Emitan

dreamer3kx said:
Is it normal for long loading right after creating a character for the first time, not sure if its stuck or what, only trophies for paid subscription, jeez.
It's not loading, you're in a queue. If you quit the game and pick your character from the menu you can see what your position in the queue is.

Dunlop

Sarcasm said:
Bottom left corner. I could show you perhaps if we can meet up. Hero here.

thx!

I kept turning around because I saw the meta sign in the hallway

respeced to mess around as a controller, queued for alert, got in and then got zone unavailable please exit game ; (

Dunlop

In a moment of weakness was about to double dip on the DLC for the PC as the money and inventory limitations are annoying, but they are pulling the tricks of Microsoft of yore:

DLC is $11, $1 more than PSN... no big whoop
Can only fill blocks in wallet by $5 increments so need to put down $15 to buy that DLC..no sale.

Just can't get myself to have spent $25 on this single DLC

Lothars

Dunlop said:
In a moment of weakness was about to double dip on the DLC for the PC as the money and inventory limitations are annoying, but they are pulling the tricks of Microsoft of yore:

Can only fill blocks in wallet by $5 increments so need to put down $15 to buy that DLC..no sale.

No you don't, you can actually pay 10 dollars for the dlc on pc from the website, I noticed the same thing as you but than signed into the site and they have where you can buy it directly.

Dunlop

Lothars said:
No you don't, you can actually pay 10 dollars for the dlc on pc from the website, I noticed the same thing as you but than signed into the site and they have where you can buy it directly.

Moment of weakness will return tonight!

thank you

Do we have a Gaf Hero League? I'm only lvl 16 atm but am missing the social aspect, I'm not used to being guildless in a MMO :p

Dunlop

Cloudius12 said:
Not sure how it is on PS3, but the last 2 days let me log in immediately. I believe they are working on removing the queue.

It was pretty good last night, instantly in twice. The highest queue I had was about 600 but it dropped to zero in under 90 seconds (on PC)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Been away the past couple of days and haven't able to check in on the thread. Looks like they deployed priority queues earlier today:

RadarX said:
Server Hotfix 11.09.2011 US and EU

During the normal restarts for both EU (4 AM GMT) and US (4 AM PT) there will be a small hotfix. Downtime is anticipated to be less than one hour. Players may notice the following changes:

• Priority Queueing for Legendary and Premium players is now available.
  • Legendary Players will have the fastest queue time.
  • Players should no longer experience lengthy respawn timers in the Arena.
  • Cooldown timers should no longer exceed their expected refresh time.
  • Players should no longer experience problems zoning within a zone and get the "Zone Unavailable" message.
Dunlop said:
Damn Harley Quinn handed me my ass multiple times...off to work

Is there any reason not to be DPS when leveling? I notice when I am in an alert that everyone is DPS. But outside of the XP for completing the quest, the rest seems to suck. Why would someone be a healer or controller toll before 30?
Before 30 the only reason to switch is for the last couple of easy alerts (Bludhaven and maybe Oolong), or because you can't handle a solo mission in DPS stance due to your level and need the stat boost from switching roles, or because you're grouped and can be more helpful in your support role while the other person DPS (troll+dps works very good for the solo missions). Otherwise DPS all the way.

Dunlop said:
damage dealer (DPS = damage per second)

In a instance (dungeon), you are normally supposed to have a :

tank to get aggro (enemies focus on him)
dps to do damage
healer to keep everyone alive

there is also a support class in DC Universe in other games they are usually locking down extra enemies to stop them from attacking, not really sure of its role in this game
Controllers can stun, encase, debuff, and help the group recharge power faster via their instant group power recovery move and their power over time moves. Most people will expect you to just play as battery, but that can get really boring really fast. The real fun in being a troll is learning how to manage your power so you're able to debuff/stun/encase the mobs while recharging your group.

Dunlop said:

They said the $11 price is for states that charge tax, it should be $10 everywhere else. Personally I would just wait for one of their double station cash weekends. They do them every couple of months, usually around a holiday. Can't beat $5 for the DLC or $10 for the GL DLC + the Flash DLC that is supposed to be coming out soon.

Keep an eye on the SOE Announcement board for the next double cash weekend.

Dunlop said:
Do we have a Gaf Hero League? I'm only lvl 16 atm but am missing the social aspect, I'm not used to being guildless in a MMO :p
I will make a league for both Heroes and Villains when I find out information on how leagues work when the person who makes them isn't Legendary anymore.

Until then I've created a custom chat channel for both sides that people can join so that people can find each other. The chat channel is simply "NeoGAF".

To join these chat channels just go into Options, then go to the Chat Options tab. From there you see a "Join/Create Custom Channel" box. Just type in the channel name, press join, and you're in. It'll show up as "neogaf" on your chat box.

People playing the PS3 version can do the same and I'd recommend doing it.

Haunted

gotee12 said:
Give it a week or so guys. I get really frustrated with queues and crashes but it will all calm down eventually
No one wants to play this anymore next week. Too many other high profile games coming out. It's now or never for the game, and they're fucking it up right now.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
HarryDemeanor said:
I will make a league for both Heroes and Villains when I find out information on how leagues work when the person who makes them isn't Legendary anymore.

Until then I've created a custom chat channel for both sides that people can join so that people can find each other. The chat channel is simply "NeoGAF".

To join these chat channels just go into Options, then go to the Chat Options tab. From there you see a "Join/Create Custom Channel" box. Just type in the channel name, press join, and you're in. It'll show up as "neogaf" on your chat box.

People playing the PS3 version can do the same and I'd recommend doing it.
Devs said in one of the F2P webcast that nothing happens if the leader happens to downgrade to Premium. The league stays as is and no one is deleted/disbanded from it. AFAIK, the only right that you will lose after downgrading is the right to create a new league and the ability to take leadership privileges back if you pass them to another member and then he decides to make you lead again.

Killthee said:
Devs said in one of the F2P webcast that nothing happens if the leader happens to downgrade to Premium. The league stays as is and no one is deleted/disbanded from it. AFAIK, the only right that you will lose after downgrading is the right to create a new league and the ability to take leadership privileges back if you pass them to another member and then he decides to make you lead again.

Good news all around.
I guess I'll see how the queue works out since im a Premium Member. It better be better than that 9K queue i was in this weekend. And the 5k and 6k ones before =/

Maxrpg said:
I just got Fight for the Light... fuuuuuck yeahhhh

welcome to the GL/Premium club!
What are you playing on PC or PS3?

Ashodin

xKilltheMx said:
Good news all around.
I guess I'll see how the queue works out since im a Premium Member. It better be better than that 9K queue i was in this weekend. And the 5k and 6k ones before =/

welcome to the GL/Premium club!
What are you playing on PC or PS3?
PC - main is Soulfyre but now I'm probably gonna make a GL reserve alt.

.la1n

Haunted said:
No one wants to play this anymore next week. Too many other high profile games coming out. It's now or never for the game, and they're fucking it up right now.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people will still care next week. Most MMO players do not drop a game after a week and are well aware of issues during the launch window (plus its free to play, come on really.)

Killthee said:
Oh that's good. Okay with that settled I'll create the leagues in a bit.

EDIT: Nevermind it looks like I need 3 more people to group with me in order to do this.

KAL2006

Banned
just created my character and finished the first mission

my characters called DarkDemonSoul, he has black armor and helmet and a red cape, dual wield, flight and ice powers.

Haunted said:

People are going to play other games next week no matter what. They also haven't begun their marketing push even for the F2P. People who are going to play a MMO are going to do so for long term.

KAL2006

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
People are going to play other games next week no matter what. They also haven't begun their marketing push even for the F2P.

There are so many people who have no idea about this game, and it's free. Sony should be shouting out that they have a full feature MMO for free for PS3. Hell, they should have it preinstalled in all future PS3 SKU's.

KAL2006 said:
There are so many people who have no idea about this game, and it's free. Sony should be shouting out that they have a full feature MMO for free for PS3. Hell, they should have it preinstalled in all future PS3 SKU's.

They do plan on having a big marketing push apparently with TV commercials also coming later this holiday. It almost seems like they just released this without any fanfare just to test the waters before they go big on it.

To be honest, I'm getting bored playing this game. It just mission that do this X times, Kill X amount of enemies, go to X location.
I understand that is pretty much any MMO, the combat was at least a bit nice. I assume you don't get to the good stuff until level 30.
Just getting there is just repetition all around.

Cloudius12 said:
To be honest, I'm getting bored playing this game. It just mission that do this X times, Kill X amount of enemies, go to X location.
I understand that is pretty much any MMO, the combat was at least a bit nice. I assume you don't get to the good stuff until level 30.
Just getting there is just repetition all around.

It's the fastest MMO to get to max level

Roto13

I wonder if buying some DLC and becoming a Premium member would fix my disconnecting problem. They seem to give priority service to Premium and Legendary members.

Roto13 said:
I wonder if buying some DLC and becoming a Premium member would fix my disconnecting problem. They seem to give priority service to Premium and Legendary members.

Rightly so, they wouldn't be paying members for long if they were getting a lot of disconnects due to all the free loaders (I doubt they get any sort of preference really tho)

Roto13

Oh wow, I just played it for like an hour and it didn't disconnect. I tried fighting the Scarecrow but he raped me. Maybe partially because I was the only one there and I'm pretty sure I was supposed to be part of a four-person team. Oh well.

Dunlop

Roto13 said:
Oh wow, I just played it for like an hour and it didn't disconnect. I tried fighting the Scarecrow but he raped me. Maybe partially because I was the only one there and I'm pretty sure I was supposed to be part of a four-person team. Oh well.

pretty sure they beefed up the hardware combined with losing a lot of people over the week of woe

No problems login in or being dc'ed at all today

Yeah so like....I keep making characters because all the power sets are boring the hell out of me. =\

I hear Nature is actually pretty damn good as damage despite the fact it's nature.

So far I've made:

Fire
Ice
Light

Just bored with their powers, I mean light is cool to a degree but I die quicker than Kenny on SP when I'm fighting two mobs.

Hit 30 this morning as an ice tank villain. Started doing Duos and T1s and I'm having a b blast. I really think I'm going to at least upgrade to premium. I also created a villain nature healer that's already 15. :)

I was going to ask if there was a villain league, but it doesn't seem like villains are popular amongst GAF, lol. Went ahead and put both my character names into the database though.

i dont know if i suck at the game or what. but im a lvl.30 fire/dual pistol hero.. and im trying to go for a dps build. and i keep dying in pvp and stuff like that. :|

whats a good weapon that goes with fire for dps?

I'm not sure if I'm being extremely dense but I just signed up to the DCUO forum but cannot find anyway of replying to threads when I'm logged in. Any ideas?

batmandarkknight said:
i dont know if i suck at the game or what. but im a lvl.30 fire/dual pistol hero.. and im trying to go for a dps build. and i keep dying in pvp and stuff like that. :|

whats a good weapon that goes with fire for dps?

I'm new to the game myself, but I'd guess the biggest factor is gear. For pvp you want gear that has Toughness on it. I think there's a starter set that you can buy in the Watch Tower.

J Tourettes said:
I'm not sure if I'm being extremely dense but I just signed up to the DCUO forum but cannot find anyway of replying to threads when I'm logged in. Any ideas?

Just looked, above the post there's a bar with the date posted and subject. On the right side of that you'll see Reply/Quote buttons.

I must say, after a rather crappy week with lag, login queues, etc., whatever they did earlier this week to fix things, really worked a trick. The game has been extremely smooth the past day and a half, at least on the PS3. Well done on Sony, at least to not only get it fixed, but do it quick.

Roto13

Actually enjoying the game now that it has stopped disconnecting me. I'm considering rerolling my character, though. I'm not really satisfied with my staff and I'd rather try something more long distance.

If I delete my character before making a new one, will I get to use the same name?

Satch

Banned
Roto13 said:
Actually enjoying the game now that it has stopped disconnecting me. I'm considering rerolling my character, though. I'm not really satisfied with my staff and I'd rather try something more long distance.

If I delete my character before making a new one, will I get to use the same name?
yes

WillyFive

The Watchtower is really bad. It's way too big an easy to get lost, and it takes so long to get from one place to another it feels useless.

Roto13 said:

Yes, unless one situation happens: someone makes a character with the name of your former character before you can remake them. That's the only case, I'd think, and unless it's a super-common name, it should not be a problem.

Roto13 said:

Depending on how levelled up your character is, you can just re-spec and choose a different weapon.

Top Bottom