• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Sblargh

Banned
GDGF said:
Here's my hero. His name's Thaddius Surprising.

2ue33ad.jpg

Thaddius Montgomery Clune was an aging dandy from the Edwardian era. One quiet and uneventful day he sipped on a magical cup of tea that gave him superpowers. And now when people see him flying about they point to the sky and proclaim Thaddius Surprising!

:lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Roto13 said:
I'm still not entirely sure how multiplayer works. I know I can join a group and keep track of the people in it (not talking about a league, but just a small temporary group) but there has to be more to it than that. Some way to do the same missions.
Lv 1 - 30 stuff in Gotham/Metropolis is meant to be solo stuff. You can group for it to get it done faster and it does make it a lot more easier/fun, but it wasn't designed with group play in mind. Bounties are the only thing in the open world that you need to group up for in the open world or at the very least have a couple of randoms backing you up and even then you don't really have to worry about your role.

All the group content in the game is instance based accessed via the On Duty menu. The Lv 1 - 29 Easy alerts were meant to be a training ground for group play, but you can faceroll you're way through most of them at this point. The real meat of the group content is the lv 30 Hard T1/T2 alerts, the raids, and the instance PvP (Arena mostly). Once you reach 30 the PvE content will slowly start to open for you as you begin to get better gear. T1 alerts require 1 healer, 1 troll, & either 2 DPS or 1 DPS and 1 tank. T2 alerts have the same group makeup except tanks play a more vital role so it's better to get one instead of 2 DPS for the most part. Raids usually consist of 2 healers, 2 trolls, 3 DPS, and 1 tank. You can faceroll through the Outer Batcaves and Khandaq, but all the other raids require you to know your role and the mechanics of the game.

Instance PvP opens up on your way to lv 30 with Legends being the training ground. Everyone plays as an Iconic (DC Characters with their own stats, powers, and weapons) in Legends so your gear/lv don't matter. The RPS system also doesn't matter in Legends. Arena is instance PvP using your own character and gear. To keep it fair the Arena queue places you with similar lv people, once you reach 30 you only play against other 30's. If you do not have a balance group for Arena and the other team does you will most likely get stomped. You need a healer to heal everyone and to debuff the tank, you need a troll to juice everyone and debuff the opposing healer, you need a tank to remove debuffs and to pound the troll so your healer is able to do his job, and you need a dps to help kill the other team faster. If you're a hero you also have to deal with longer queue times and playing against better geared villains due to the faction imbalance in the game.

Killthee said:
Instance PvP opens up on your way to lv 30 with Legends being the training ground. Everyone plays as an Iconic (DC Characters with their own stats, powers, and weapons) in Legends so your gear/lv don't matter. The RPS system also doesn't matter in Legends. Arena is instance PvP using your own character and gear. To keep it fair the Arena queue places you with similar lv people, once you reach 30 you only play against other 30's. If you do not have a balance group for Arena and the other team does you will most likely get stomped. You need a healer to heal everyone and to debuff the tank, you need a troll to juice everyone and debuff the opposing healer, you need a tank to remove debuffs and to pound the troll so your healer is able to do his job, and you need a dps to help kill the other team faster. If you're a hero you also have to deal with longer queue times and playing against better geared villains due to the faction imbalance in the game.

This. There are villain leagues specifically geared toward PvP play that pretty much dominate when they queue up together.

Angelcurio

The updates is downloading really slow for me, and to make matters worse it looks like it doesn't resume download. I left it at 25% last night, and when i turnen on the console today it started from 0% again.

Thought I'd show you guys my other two chars, the first being my ice tank Sharpstorm, which is my main.

And then my secondary char, a nature healer, Soulsoother.

Two points if you can guess where the names come from. I know someone in this thread can. :)

Roto13

Killthee said:
Lv 1 - 30 stuff in Gotham/Metropolis is meant to be solo stuff. You can group for it to get it done faster and it does make it a lot more easier/fun, but it wasn't designed with group play in mind. Bounties are the only thing in the open world that you need to group up for in the open world or at the very least have a couple of randoms backing you up and even then you don't really have to worry about your role.

All the group content in the game is instance based accessed via the On Duty menu. The Lv 1 - 29 Easy alerts were meant to be a training ground for group play, but you can faceroll you're way through most of them at this point. The real meat of the group content is the lv 30 Hard T1/T2 alerts, the raids, and the instance PvP (Arena mostly). Once you reach 30 the PvE content will slowly start to open for you as you begin to get better gear. T1 alerts require 1 healer, 1 troll, & either 2 DPS or 1 DPS and 1 tank. T2 alerts have the same group makeup except tanks play a more vital role so it's better to get one instead of 2 DPS for the most part. Raids usually consist of 2 healers, 2 trolls, 3 DPS, and 1 tank. You can faceroll through the Outer Batcaves and Khandaq, but all the other raids require you to know your role and the mechanics of the game.

I queue up for the PVP stuff as it becomes available but it never actually lets me in.

Moobabe

Can someone throw up a few screenshots of awesome vistas to sell me on the game? I'm looking for a free mmo to sink a bit of time into

Killthee

Angelcurio said:
The updates is downloading really slow for me, and to make matters worse it looks like it doesn't resume download. I left it at 25% last night, and when i turnen on the console today it started from 0% again.
It'll resume the download, but the percentage will reset cause it doesn't count what it's already installed from the previous download.
Roto13 said:
I queue up for the PVP stuff as it becomes available but it never actually lets me in.
I haven't had time to bother with PvP since F2P launched but I'm guessing the hero queues have gotten worse cause of all the new F2P heroes running around. There just isn't enough villains for matchmaking to pair up the heroes with. They're working on adding same faction queues so the heroes can PvP, but it might take a while for them to release it.
electroshockwave said:
How does need vs. greed work for group loot?
Need before greed. Highest need roll will trump need & greed, highest greed roll will win the loot if no one rolls need, and if everyone passes it'll do a silent roll. Generally no one cares what you roll during the lv 1 - 30 solo missions, but once you start doing group content it's rude to roll need on loot not tied to your current role without asking.

mocoworm said:
If you subscribe later, do the trophies unlock retroactively ?
I don't believe any game allows retroactive trophies. You have to be a subscriber when they unlock to get them.
Roto13 said:
Is there a way to check how much EXP you need before you level up? :p
It might be hard on a SDTV, but there's a slim purple bar underneath your loadout. You lv up every time it fills up.

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
Moobabe said:
Can someone throw up a few screenshots of awesome vistas to sell me on the game? I'm looking for a free mmo to sink a bit of time into

The PC UI is pretty bad but the battle system and polish makes up for it. And for the love of god, if you decide to play, pick Acrobatics as your power. Rocket gliders....grapplehooks...so much fun!

Gotham City
dcu3.jpg

Arkham Asylum
dcu5.jpg

Roto13

Killthee said:
I haven't had time to bother with PvP since F2P launched but I'm guessing the hero queues have gotten worse cause of all the new F2P heroes running around. There just isn't enough villains for matchmaking to pair up the heroes with. They're working on adding same faction queues so the heroes can PvP, but it might take a while for them to release it.

It might be hard on a SDTV, but there's a slim purple bar underneath your loadout. You lv up every time it fills up.
The estimates for PvP queues are always like a few minutes, but they never start. Even when I pick first available. Stupid lying estimates. :p

Hah, the purple bar was cut off on my screen. :p It's pretty much impossible to fit it in such a way that I can see everything and read important text. In fact, I can't ever read anything in the chat box, no matter what I do. I need to just get a new TV. This one's on its way out anyway.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Between PC and PS3 version, which is the better choice? In regards to performance and population.

I played the beta for a month on PC and loved it, though the controller use wasn't exactly smooth.

I then played the PS3 beta for a week before burning the idea of the game from my noggin. Although the controls were smoother I recall frequent freezing which was aggravating.

Killthee

Moobabe said:
PS3 version shots, game will look better if you play it on a PC.

DC%252520Universe%252520Online.jpg

IPoopStandingUp said:
Between PC and PS3 version, which is the better choice? In regards to performance and population.

I played the beta for a month on PC and loved it, though the controller use wasn't exactly smooth.

I then played the PS3 beta for a week before burning the idea of the game from my noggin. Although the controls were smoother I recall frequent freezing which was aggravating.
PC is more stable, looks better, and shouldn't have any major population issues now that F2P has launched.

PS3 on the other hand no longer has the major freezing issues it had during beta/launch, had the more stable population prior to F2P launching, and most importantly it has no macro PvP cheaters. The combat in the game is very much like a brawler filled with combo moves and apparently a bunch of people on the PC side like to ruin PvP by using macros to create impossible combos. Dev have said they're working on a solution to catch cheaters, but that will probably take a while before it's deployed.

So if you don't care about PvP, PC all the way. If you want to PvP, make a villain on the PS3.

Hey GAF:

If any hero side players want a little help running though some missions, I'd be happy to. Conversely, if any more geared up heroes want to run T2s, Raids, etc, give me a shout. I have a league already, but happy to meet up with some GAFers.

My toon is Kid Sorbet and he's pretty nicely geared up with 81 skill points.

Killthee

PR was just released.

SOE Supercharges DC Universe™ Online with Lightning Strikes DLC Pack, Featuring The Flash

New Electricity Power Set, New Solo and Group Adventures and Amazing Loot Await Heroes and Villains in DC Universe Online's Second DLC Pack

SAN DIEGO, Nov. 17, 2011 Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) will soon launch its second Downloadable Content (DLC) pack for DC Universe Online with the worldwide release of Lightning Strikes, later this year. Launching simultaneously on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC, Lightning Strikes introduces Electricity Powers – the game's eighth power set – and a new adventure starring the iconic speedster The Flash.

"In this DLC pack, fans have the opportunity to immerse themselves in another great character and action-packed story from the DC Universe," said Jens Andersen, Creative Director for DC Universe Online. "With exciting gameplay, a new power set and new locations to share with your friends, we packed a whole new kind of fun into this DLC pack and are eager for our players to dive into another legendary adventure."

In addition to the new Electricity Power set, DC Universe Online players will also be able to interact with The Flash-themed characters and content with new maps and features:
  • Central City – An all-new map that offers players a more open world experience that provides on-going gameplay, with solo and group missions.
  • The Flash Museum Duo – Players can now experience the Central City of today and tomorrow. In The Flash Museum Duo, players can travel back in time to the very moment when Barry Allen became The Flash and battle foes inside the Central City Police Station!
  • Electricity Powers – Players now have the opportunity to get the new Electricity Power set for current and new characters. The new Electricity Power set allows players to leverage the lightning power of electricity and use new types of attacks in combat. Electricity Powers include the Tesla Ball, which creates a floating ball of electricity that zaps nearby enemies; the Shockwave, which shoots streams of electric bolts at enemies; and Ionic Drain, which drains energy from the environment to replenish a player's health while simultaneously damaging surrounding enemies.
  • New Gear – Players can earn all-new gear sets including the new Zoom-inspired gear set for villains, and the new Black Lightning-inspired gear set for heroes.
  • New Characters – Lightning Strikes brings players new iconic DC Universe characters including Livewire, Black Lightning, The Top, The Trickster, Static and more. New characters – such as Livewire – will be featured as new "Inspired By" options for players who can choose to create a new character inspired by some of DC Universe's legendary characters. Additional new characters – such as Black Lighting – serve as a bounty mission that players can fight if they choose to be a villain.

Lightning Strikes offers players a new story-driven adventure that offers up even more of the intense and fast-paced combat that distinguishes DC Universe Online, a game focused on superhero combat set in locations where gamers can showcase over-the-top powers in epic battles. The Flash adds another legendary superhero for players to battle against or alongside on their journey to becoming the next legend.

DC Universe Online's Lightning Strikes DLC pack will be accessible for free for all of the game's Legendary players and available for purchase for $9.99 USD for all Free and Premium players from the PlayStation® Network Store, through the in-game Marketplace and on the PC from the DCUniverseOnline.com website.

zQWzf.jpg

0PjMI.jpg

iyJWO.jpg

Dunlop

cool stuff.

I should finally hit lvl 30 by tomorrow night (damn work), is there any quick reference on what I should be doing in order to at least think about raiding?

Controller: Mind Control, Dual Pistols (fine with changing)

edit: lol PSN is going down today..change should to hopefully

Cool, I like these dlc like packs.

So a whole new city is being added to the game? No mention of new alerts/raids attached to this dlc?

Angelcurio

Mercury Fred said:
Hey GAF:

If any hero side players want a little help running though some missions, I'd be happy to. Conversely, if any more geared up heroes want to run T2s, Raids, etc, give me a shout. I have a league already, but happy to meet up with some GAFers.

My toon is Kid Sorbet and he's pretty nicely geared up with 81 skill points.
Are you on PC or PS3? Because i'm having a lot of trouble with the Spooktacular event on PS3.

Killthee

NihonTiger90 said:
Release date on this, or is it live now?
The content was added in the last patch, but the unlock key hasn't been added to the Marketplace/Legendary accounts. The only date we have is "soon" and "this year".

Angelcurio said:
Are you on PC or PS3? Because i'm having a lot of trouble with the Spooktacular event on PS3.
He's on PS3, but the Spooktacular event ended on Tuesday morning when they released Update 6.

Dunlop said:
cool stuff.

I should finally hit lvl 30 by tomorrow night (damn work), is there any quick reference on what I should be doing in order to at least think about raiding?

Controller: Mind Control, Dual Pistols (fine with changing)

edit: lol PSN is going down today..change should to hopefully
Just gotta get your gear up so you can survive in raids. Work on a couple of challenges first, then duos, then T1 hard alerts. You'll see more content up for you as you get better gear and raise your combat rating.

BattleMonkey said:
Cool, I like these dlc like packs.

So a whole new city is being added to the game? No mention of new alerts/raids attached to this dlc?
It's not a full city, more like a mini city. No new alerts/raids, but there's supposed to be some new solo/group content in Central City. I'm guessing the Earth DLC will introduce the Magic/Wonder Woman Brainiac Raids.

Newsrama has a dev interview up and GamesRadar has some more info on the content.

The DCUO team is calling the new mechanic Rescue Healing. “Put a charge on someone, and when they reach a certain threshold, they’ll actually get the heal automatically,” says Andersen. “So it’s kind of fire-and-forget stuff. It’s a really cool mechanic.”

But Lightning Strikes’ most interesting new content will likely be found in what the DCUO team describes as a “brand new style of map,” a large scale shared instance that can host up to 50 players at a time. “It takes place in a part of Central City outside the Flash Museum – and 50 players are going to be able to join each other for solo and group content in this shared space,” says Andersen.

Someone has used the Cosmic Treadmill to travel back in time and sabotage Barry Allen’s origin, creating a paradox and giving birth to an army of paradox reapers that are intent on consuming reality around them. Villains will be capitalizing on the chaos for Professor Zoom, while heroes will focus on helping The Flash control the situation.

You won’t have to queue up or anything to enter this shared space, which will be about eight-by-four city blocks in size. In addition to new open world bounties in Gotham and Metropolis, the Lightning Strikes DLC will also introduce a new set of origin storylines. Andersen sets the scene for the first one players will experience: “You get to go back in time to Central City Police Department the night that Barry Allen fatefully got struck with that lightning bolt and became The Flash – and you’re going to have to make sure that he takes on his destiny as The Flash and make sure that happens.”

Killthee said:
The content was added in the last patch, but the unlock key hasn't been added to the Marketplace/Legendary accounts. The only date we have is "soon" and "this year".

He's on PS3, but the Spooktacular event ended on Tuesday morning when they released Update 6.

Just gotta get your gear up so you can survive in raids. Work on a couple of challenges first, then duos, then T1 hard alerts. You'll see more content up for you as you get better gear and raise your combat rating.

It's not a full city, more like a mini city. No new alerts/raids, but there's supposed to be some new solo/group content in Central City. I'm guessing the Earth DLC will introduce the Magic/Wonder Woman Brainiac Raids.

Newsrama has a dev interview up and GamesRadar has some more info on the content.

So Barry is The Flash? Yeah, DC editorial has their hands all up in this shit.

hgplayer1

So should I just solo quests/missions until level cap or is there any reason to stop and do some of the other things before cap?

Are we all playing on the same server?

Is this patched right now? Didnt see a release date for it. Also how can all chars use current chars this power? Do i need to respec or is it available through a skilltree?

Wow, electrical powers look great. Excited about all of the new bounties and the open world content sounds cool too.

Angelcurio said:
Yup, as Killthee said I'm on PS3 but Spooktacular is over already.

Killthee

hgplayer1 said:
So should I just solo quests/missions until level cap or is there any reason to stop and do some of the other things before cap?

Are we all playing on the same server?
You get a nice exp point reward when you complete some of the group quests in your journal/bounties so if you wanna power level or just need some exp to lv you should do some.

There's 4 servers; US PC, EU PC, US PS3, EU PS3. None of them are connected, but I think the PC versions lets you choose which PC server you want to log into.

RaGMasTeR90 said:
Is this patched right now? Didnt see a release date for it. Also how can all chars use current chars this power? Do i need to respec or is it available through a skilltree?
The content was patched in, but it's locked at the moment. The unlock key is supposed to be released soon/sometime before the year ends.

They're not gonna include a respec token with the DLC this time. It's looking like they're gonna start selling generic power respec tokens in the real cash marketplace for anyone who wants to switch their power.

El'Kharn said:
question, is having a combat rating of 13 at lvl 15 good or bad?
I don't think it matters until you get to 30. You should be getting lv appropriate gear as you complete the solo quests so it should be going up consistently.

Angelcurio

Mercury Fred said:
Wow, electrical powers look great. Excited about all of the new bounties and the open world content sounds cool too.

Yup, as Killthee said I'm on PS3 but Spooktacular is over already.
That's too bad, i din't know that those were timed event, but thanks Kilthee and you for answering my inquiry. I'll add you both to my friends list so we can play some missions.

Samus4145

I missed the Halloween event too. Couldn't wait in that 8000+ queue. Once I did, and the game froze before loading, and I got dropped back in line.

Wish I could respec to get those lightning powers.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Kinda sucks when games limit your money and such, not as restrictive as most f2p games though. Might have to try again.

Sblargh

Banned
I hope people bite these DLCs. Game deserves to keep going a long time (even if it doesn't quite deserve a monthly subscription)

Toki767 said:
Hmm...now the difficult thing to decide is whether to spend $20 on both DLC or $15 for a month of Legendary.

I'm probably going to just buy the DLC at $10 since I had Fight for the Light already.

markatisu

I prefer DLC to a monthly sub fee. I get GS gift cards all the time so its easy for me to just get a SOE 1000 points card and be done with it, also since i collect the clones wars figures they now come with 150 points that is supposed to be used for Clone Wars online but its just regular SOE cash so it works with DCO

In hindsight, I like them breaking this up into 5 $10 chunks that they can spend time on refining and getting right instead of one lump-sum $50 blob that gets played through in two weeks and we get tired of.

Top Bottom