• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Dunlop

lol, I think I went from 29 to 30 in about 40 minutes

Guides are really slim picking for this game, I did my first Duo as a controller but I just feel like I am spamming buttons

Hey GAFers I want to propose a US PS3 hero side meet up sometime soon. We could grab some bounties (nice for grabbing EXP if you're not yet 30), add to friends lists, share pointers, etc. Anyone game?

Maybe one night this week or sometime over the coming weekend?

yencid

so doest the flash have lightining powers now as an NPC/Bounty?

It was awkward going to fight him and seeing him have fire based powers.

Angelcurio

Hey GAFers I want to propose a US PS3 hero side meet up sometime soon. We could grab some bounties (nice for grabbing EXP if you're not yet 30), add to friends lists, share pointers, etc. Anyone game?

Maybe one night this week or sometime over the coming weekend?

Well, i'm all for it. It's really hard to play some of the on duty missions with total strangers that only care about spamming attacks without thinking about healing and defense. I completed the brainiac ship with the alpha, beta and prime enemies really fast, even though i was only playing with a second partner instead of the 4 that could join; i kept throwing life barrels to the enemy while the other player kept attacking, so we could both be healing ourselves while attacking. Later in the night i was playing the mission of Ultra Humanite with 4 strangers and we just kept failing since they only cared about attacking themselvers, without healing or reviving fallen allies, it was one hour later that we could complete the mission.

Neiteio

How's the PC version of this game? I hear it's completely free to play now, meaning no sub fee? And how are the controls? Can someone describe them to me? I don't have a 360 controller, just keyboard and mouse.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
How's the PC version of this game? I hear it's completely free to play now, meaning no sub fee? And how are the controls? Can someone describe them to me? I don't have a 360 controller, just keyboard and mouse.

It's better than the PS3 version in every possible way except for the PvP cheaters.

It's free to download and free to play with some minor restrictions. You can either download it directly from SOE or via Steam. As for controls the game was designed for controllers so keep that in mind. The loadout is limited to 6 powers, 1 potion, and 1 trinket due to the limited buttons on controllers and the combat is a bit tedious without one. It plays like a combo brawler and it works great on a controller, but if you don't have one you have to use your mouse for weapon combos (basically combos consisting of hold/tap left click, hold/tap right click, and the arrow keys; you can take a look at the combos by using the skill planner and browsing the weapon trees). If you have a PS3 controller you can use it with the game if you can get the drivers working properly.

Neiteio

It's better than the PS3 version in every possible way except for the PvP cheaters.

It's free to download and free to play with some minor restrictions. You can either download it directly from SOE or via Steam. As for controls the game was designed for controllers so keep that in mind. The loadout is limited to 6 powers, 1 potion, and 1 trinket due to the limited buttons on controllers and the combat is a bit tedious without one. It plays like a combo brawler and it works great on a controller, but if you don't have one you have to use your mouse for weapon combos (basically combos consisting of hold/tap left click, hold/tap right click, and the arrow keys; you can take a look at the combos by using the skill planner and browsing the weapon trees). If you have a PS3 controller you can use it with the game if you can get the drivers working properly.
I looked at that site regarding PS3 controllers on PC. I didn't know this was possible. I'm not clear on how it works, though. Do I download something and then the computer will somehow sense the PS3 controller?

Killthee

I looked at that site regarding PS3 controllers on PC. I didn't know this was possible. I'm not clear on how it works, though. Do I download something and then the computer will somehow sense the PS3 controller?

It installs drivers so your PC recognizes the PS3 controller as a 360 controller. It's a total pain in the ass to get it working because the drivers are annoying to configure properly (especially the bluetooth driver; do not install the bt driver if you actually use your bt with other devices cause it will override your current driver and configure it to only work with the PS3 controller), but once you do you'll be able to use your PS3 controller on your PC.

Here's instructions on how to get it working.

Neiteio

It installs drivers so your PC recognizes the PS3 controller as a 360 controller. It's a total pain in the ass to get it working because the drivers are annoying to configure properly (especially the bluetooth driver; do not install the bt driver if you actually use your bt with other devices cause it will override your current driver and configure it to only work with the PS3 controller), but once you do you'll be able to use your PS3 controller on your PC.

Here's instructions on how to get it working.
This looks confusing. :-\ Thank you, though. :)

Killthee

Dev chat tomorrow:

20111129-8aithxm9w39c9cif8napymyxy4.jpg

Stickam link.

Hopefully we get a release date.

Killthee

Looks like they dumped Stickam and are using Twitch for the stream this time. It should be starting soon.

Ah nice. Betting it's this Thursday.

Awesome runs yesterday, btw. That Star Labs speed feat was hilarious.
My guess is next Tuesday cause the PS Store usually only updates on Tuesdays and they'll need to update the store with the entitlement if they handle it the way they handled the GL stuff.

Yeah that final boss fight was hilarious.

Dev Chat recap:
  • DLC release: Dec 6 for NA / Dec 7 for EU (EU PS3 only I think)
  • DLC Trailer
  • New bounties have different spawn points unlike the current bounties with their fixed spawns.
  • Electricity healing will be a mix of Sorcery & Nature. It'll have fire and forget heals (rescue heal which kicks in automatically at 35% health) and location based heals (personal Circle of Protection that heals anyone around you).
  • No free DLC respec tokens going forward. Generic respec tokens will be added to the Marketplace in the future.
  • They called Explosive Shot's old range a bug (I call BS : /). It won't be fixed. HL Fan also wont be tweaked. No mention of the new bug they recently introduced which allows you to shoot through walls.
  • New DLC dailies hand out Marks of Momentum. You can use them to purchase Black Lightning/Zoom T2.5 gear, raid quality rings and necks, and T3 weapons (103 & 113 DPS) called Spark weapons.
  • Spark Weapons have proc effects and link up with other group members Spark weapons to share procs.
  • Ring compartment trinket will also be purchased using the new marks. Does several different things triggered by doing combos.
  • Mixed group queues will be added in the future to help alleviate hero PvP queues. No ETA.
  • PS3 will get the recent PC Marketplace update when the DLC is released.

Loxley

I just started playing and I've really been enjoying the vanilla experience so far; love the look of Gotham too. In particular I'm enjoying the combat quite a bit, it's just what I was looking for after growing tired of auto-attack after all these years. I may stick around for a while :) Also, I'm glad they adopted the idea of equiping gear but giving the player the option of "hiding" it so it doesn't ruin your character's look.

NeonZ

I'm really enjoying this game, which is really surprising to me considering how my experiences with MMORPGs, and online gaming in general, in the past haven't been very fun. I really hope it doesn't die any time soon.

Roto13

Wow, even as a Premium user, I'm getting a login queue. It's only a queue of 30 so I don't mind, but I guess that means activity is up? :p

daevv

Thinking about giving this game a spin on my PS3. Quick question: Do you have to download the game all at once or will it resume at the same spot if I turn off the system? Thx

Killthee

Getting back into this game with a friend.

Is there any way at all to share missions with your group?
Not sure cause I never tried it, but I think you can share missions by opening up your journal when grouped, select the mission, and then press square.

I think it only works with sidemissions though.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Sony should be marketing the PS3 as the only home console with a complete free-to-play MMO. :p
I'm kind of surprised by the lack of advertising. I feel like there was more advertising for the game a year before the game's release.

What they should be doing is selling PS3s with the game pre-installed, advertising on the box "DC Universe Online inside!" making people think they're getting a great deal with the console.

what are these 'DLC respec tokens'?

When the Green Lantern themed Fight For the Light DLC pack came out, it included a pair of respec tokens that gave each user a chance to change one of their heroes and one of their villains to the hard light power set.

People had been wanting and expecting the same tokens with the new Flash/ lightning DLC, but the developers have said they won't be there for this DLC. However, they've noted that they will be putting generic power respec tokens on the marketplace in the future. They haven't given a timeline on those though.

Killthee

thanks, it sucks the Light powers are mostly melee oriented, not good for a controller
I love it, it makes the power unique from everything else. The problem is all the nerfs it keeps getting in PvE because of PvP. Whip Lash used to cause a ridiculous inescapable hard stun in troll mode that made melee trolling a very viable option, but because people kept abusing it in PvP they went a little overboard on the nerf.

darkwing

I love it, it makes the power unique from everything else. The problem is all the nerfs it keeps getting in PvE because of PvP. Whip Lash used to cause a ridiculous inescapable hard stun in troll mode that made melee trolling a very viable option, but because people kept abusing it in PvP they went a little overboard on the nerf.

what is your troller loadout? and weapon?

Killthee

what is your troller loadout? and weapon?
Dual pistols from the GL alerts for the power regen proc. Loadout consist of Claws (POT), Whip (defense debuff), Recharge, situational freebie (Lightweight.for offense debuff/object destruction or Fan for pulling), Entrap (encasement/healing debuff), and Speed Drain (Superspeed supercharge that restores the whole groups power).

I also have Hand Clap, Ram (might be Impact, I always confuse the two), and the Chainsaw unlocked so I can combo into a loop with Claws/Whip.

Killthee

btw the Marks of Victory aren't used anymore right?
They dumped them when they introduced the T2 PvP set and replaced them with Marks of Conquest. If you have any on you you can go to the PvP vendors (Meta wing basement for Villains in the Hall of Doom // I forget the Watchtower location) and use one of the kiosk to convert them to influence.

where do u get those?
I think they didn't offer them to people who bought the DLC, my understanding is they were only given to subscribers when they launched the DLC. You pick them up by selecting the claim button at the top of the Marketplace menu. I think they're called "Lantern core deputization decree".

Killthee

wait, so you need to be Legendary to get one?
I think they just stopped flagging new accounts with it around the same time F2P came out. I remember people who purchased the DLC asking how to claim the tokens and then saying that they didn't see any tokens in the claim window.

A couple of weeks prior to the F2P launch the devs gave in to the people bitching that wanted to respec back to their original powers and customer support went ahead and respeced them one by one. I assumed after that clusterfuck they pulled the respec tokens for the F2P launch/new subscribers to avoid complaints and that's why they're not offering any free tokens with the Electric DLC. People who were subbed during the GL DLC launch got grandfathered in and still have the tokens flagged on their account.

I might be wrong and they might still be giving people the tokens, but that's my understanding of the situation.

Kikarian

I used to pay monthly for this. But I lost interest in it. But after reading this thread, viewing videos and now it's free to play has really got me in the mood to play it. I'll end up paying monthly for it though, even though it's free.

Top Bottom