• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Ashodin

Pics of my main character, Soulfyre!

soulfyregfj9e.png

Roto13

I used to pay monthly for this. But I lost interest in it. But after reading this thread, viewing videos and now it's free to play has really got me in the mood to play it. I'll end up paying monthly for it though, even though it's free.

Just spending $5 (or more) once to get Premium status for life might be enough. Though if you want the Legendary features, go for it. :p

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Today I launched DCUO on my second PC and sent me to make a new char, it never showed me my old one that I started on a different PC. Isn't this stuff done via my Station log in?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Today I launched DCUO on my second PC and sent me to make a new char, it never showed me my old one that I started on a different PC. Isn't this stuff done via my Station log in?
Yeah everything is saved server side and tied to your station account. Do you have multiple station accounts?

If its not that it could be you logged in right at the moment the servers started to kick in for the day. The character database lags behind the world server by a minute or two so sometimes when you log in right after a reboot you'll automatically be taken to character create because the game isn't finding you in the character database. It could also be your trying to play a character that was on a different server. There's 2 servers on PC, EU & NA. You should be able to switch servers via the launcher.

Anyone else notice any unexplained charges on their credit cards?

SOE is holding $30 on one of my accounts and I have NOT purchased anything since the game went free.

Killthee

Server Downtime December 6th and the DLC

Extended Maintenance Notice: Tuesday, December 6, 2011

We will perform maintenance on all games and services beginning at 12:01 AM PST* on December 6, 2011. You may experience the following:
  • Account management will be unavailable starting at 12:01 AM to approximately 10:00 AM PST*
  • Commerce transactions, including purchases on our websites and in-game marketplaces will be unavailable between 12:00 AM and approximately 10:00 AM PST*.
  • Forums will remain open during the downtime however you may lose permissions and experience occasional disconnects between 12:00 AM and approximately 10:00 AM PST*.
  • All servers will come down at 10:00 AM PT and the DLC released. Downtime is anticipated to be approximately 90 minutes. Content will be available immediately to Legendary members and available for purchase to Premium and Free players. Note: Purchase of DLC is contingent on the weekly PlayStation Network updates for both SCEA and SCEE.

We apologize for this interruption and will resume all affected services as soon as the maintenance is completed.

*Convert to your local time
b23QHl.jpg

Killthee

DLC is up for Legendary members on the US PS3 server. Download is around ~500MB.

The textures in the Brainiac ship look sharper and the Character Select screen also looks to have better models.

DC%252520Universe%252520Online.jpg

Killthee

The mission the Flash gives you is the most annoying mission I have encountered in some time. Chasing down those NPCs... ugh.
I'm having more trouble with the bounties. The spawn areas are basically a whole district and the spawn times seem to take forever.

Killthee

DLC is disappointing IMO. The Duo is fun and I'm excited to see what other origin stories they'll add, but all the other high level content is pretty terrible. They took the worst lv 1 - 30 missions (Kill #X of this, Bring #X of that to this portal, Activate #X of this), added a new terrible mission type (Chase #X of civilians), and made them all into dailies. Ugh. Who asked for this garbage? The best part of the lv 1 - 30 missions is the instances with the motion comics at the end not the garbage crap they throw at you in between them to extend your play time.

The bounties are also pretty bad. First of all they added Bounties that could actually use a raid group to take down and then forgot to fix the open world raid bug that's been in since launch (Single target heals don't work in open world raid groups and I think the same applies to Defib/Recharge/Psychic Emp while POT only works with 3 people). The respawn timers are also way too long, specifically for the bounties in Central City. There's 50 people in CC, most of them looking for those two bounties and as soon as they're found you have 30 people swooping in taking them down within a minute. If you miss out or don't get credit (this occurs way too often), you have to wait forever for them to respawn.

The Metropolis/Gotham bounties also have they're own set of problems. Hardest part of them is finding them. District wide manhunts are just not fun especially when the game (on the PS3 side) has long load times for NPC's when zoning into a new area. Worst part is when you manage to find the bounty and help kill it, but still don't get credit for it. I had this happen to my group several times.

I haven't had a chance to sink my teeth into Electric powers yet, but I really hope they're awesome cause the rest of the content in this DLC is not worth $10. This pack is nothing like the GL DLC.

DLC is disappointing IMO. The Duo is fun and I'm excited to see what other origin stories they'll add, but all the other high level content is pretty terrible. They took the worst lv 1 - 30 missions (Kill #X of this, Bring #X of that to this portal, Activate #X of this), added a new terrible mission type (Chase #X of civilians), and made them all into dailies. Ugh. Who asked for this garbage? The best part of the lv 1 - 30 missions is the instances with the motion comics at the end not the garbage crap they throw at you in between them to extend your play time.

The bounties are also pretty bad. First of all they added Bounties that could actually use a raid group to take down and then forgot to fix the open world raid bug that's been in since launch (Single target heals don't work in open world raid groups and I think the same applies to Defib/Recharge/Psychic Emp while POT only works with 3 people). The respawn timers are also way too long, specifically for the bounties in Central City. There's 50 people in CC, most of them looking for those two bounties and as soon as they're found you have 30 people swooping in taking them down within a minute. If you miss out or don't get credit (this occurs way too often), you have to wait forever for them to respawn.

The Metropolis/Gotham bounties also have they're own set of problems. Hardest part of them is finding them. District wide manhunts are just not fun especially when the game (on the PS3 side) has long load times for NPC's when zoning into a new area. Worst part is when you manage to find the bounty and help kill it, but still don't get credit for it. I had this happen to my group several times.

I haven't had a chance to sink my teeth into Electric powers yet, but I really hope they're awesome cause the rest of the content in this DLC is not worth $10. This pack is nothing like the GL DLC.

Agree 100%.

I will say that I like the character additions-- Pied Piper especially, but yeah, our group got really frustrated hunting for bounties in Metropolis. It was a little easier in Gotham where zones are smaller, but we only found two. I managed to get a couple more in Metropolis via shouts but one I got no credit for. Wah wahhh.

I appreciate the effort to get more open world gameplay going, but a new "city" that's smaller than many of the alerts is not the answer.

Killthee

Agree 100%.

I will say that I like the character additions-- Pied Piper especially, but yeah, our group got really frustrated hunting for bounties in Metropolis. It was a little easier in Gotham where zones are smaller, but we only found two. I managed to get a couple more in Metropolis via shouts but one I got no credit for. Wah wahhh.

I appreciate the effort to get more open world gameplay going, but a new "city" that's smaller than many of the alerts is not the answer.
That sucks. I really really want a 113 SPARC weapon so I stuck with it and managed to find all the villain bounties with my group. Seems like most of them spawn in the same spots so that whole district wide area felt like an artificial way to extend the initial search time. We fought Raven 3 times in the same spot, Static 2 times near Gotham Mercy, Nightwing 2 times in exact same spot and 1 time a couple of blocks away, Black Lightning & Flash 2 times each right behind the Flash Museum.

I don't think I would be able to stick with it on my hero though. It must be hell getting them all with more people hunting them down, the long respawn timers, the broken open world raid groups, and the credit function not always working properly.

Foxix Von

Where in the heck do I find the DLC?

I do a search via the store and it comes up but it says it cannot be accessed on my account? =/

Killthee

Where in the heck do I find the DLC?

I do a search via the store and it comes up but it says it cannot be accessed on my account? =/
Are you subbed? if you are you automatically have access to it.

If you're not subbed, have you tried the in game Marketplace?

Foxix Von

Are you subbed? if you are you automatically have access to it.

If you're not subbed, have you tried the in game Marketplace?

Ahhhh gotcha, durp, yup I'm subbed. For some reason I figured it was something I had to download separately. I haven't played in quite some time so I'm a little out of touch hahah. Alrighty then, definitely looking forward to trying it out again. Thanks!

Killthee

Ahhhh gotcha, durp, yup I'm subbed. For some reason I figured it was something I had to download separately. I haven't played in quite some time so I'm a little out of touch hahah. Alrighty then, definitely looking forward to trying it out again. Thanks!
The content was pushed out during U6 (Nov) and unlocked with the patch (500MB) this morning. If you're subbed you'll have access to it while you're sub is active. If you downgrade your account you'll lose access to the content, but not the electric characters you make and the DLC option in the store will unlock to your account so you can purchase it if you want to.

Electric powers are available from the start by making a new character (there's no free respec tokens available this time). The duo unlocks when your Combat Rating reaches 43, the Central City instance unlocks at 53 CR (portal is in the Hangar bay in the Tech Wing), while the 113DPS weapons are available from the CC vendors when you reach 68 CR.

shaowebb

Posted in wrong thread.
PC looks better, is more stable, and you can use a controller with it. PS3 version has less PvP cheaters (macros are apparently a big issue in the PC version).

Took you word on this and started playing. Just got to Grodd's base. Used acrobatic's wall climb as soon as I entered the door and it set me to climbing...broke it HARD. Everything I touched cloned and so did my character.

P5niG.jpg

So much for that theory!
:D
:C

Zeal

Banned
Bought the game when it first came out and played the shit out of it, all the way to the hardest raids. Haven't played since a month or two after release, but having decided that Star Wars The Old Republic isn't for me, and considering this is free to play now, I'm thinking of going back right now.

Has enough been improved to make the game fun again? Is there a good amount of people playing now? How about the new content and raids?

Appreciate the input, DCGaf.

EDIT: Shit......now downloading a 14gig client.

Ashodin

Bought the game when it first came out and played the shit out of it, all the way to the hardest raids. Haven't played since a month or two after release, but having decided that Star Wars The Old Republic isn't for me, and considering this is free to play now, I'm thinking of going back right now.

Has enough been improved to make the game fun again? Is there a good amount of people playing now? How about the new content and raids?

Light powers from green lantern are pimp,

Electric is AWESOME from Lightning Strikes DLC

And the game itself feels more... community full than before.

darkwing

same as you, when I came back because of the free to play, it's more addicting now, bought the two dlcs lol

Yes. Not everything's fixed, but the game has improved substantially since the launch.

Here's what's new from a raid player's perspective:

-Batcave 3 raid (may or may not have been there when you left)
-Fortress of Solitude raids 1, 2, and 3. These reward Marks of Krypton which buy T3 gear. The raids are quite beautiful looking, maybe the nicest graphically in the game. And they're challenging. FoS3 is a one-room arena with waves of Kryptonians and Phantom Zone criminals

-T2 Alerts including three Green Lantern-themed alerts, a League of Assassins alert and harder versions of T1 alerts and a scaled down Outer Batcave re-imagined as a 4-man alert. These reward Marks of Distinction and the daily gives a Mark of Krypton as well.

The new Flash DLC adds another type of currency-- Marks of Momentum. These are earned through daily solo and group missions as well as new high-end Bounties. MoMs are used to buy brand new T2.5 gear.

Beyond that, stability is generally improved, UI is improved and the server merge means that now people who were separated by server can play together. Also, anyone can switch from a PvE phase to a PvP phase at any time by going to a Phase Shifter in the Watchtower.

Killthee

X-mas event is being teased so I'm guessing we should be getting it in around a week. It's supposed to be released with Update 7 which should contain crafting.

Game Update 7 Coming Soon!

The holidays are upon us and DCUO is ready to celebrate! Citizens of Metropolis and Gotham City are dressing up and decorating both cities, and you're all invited to join in on the fun.

GU7_2.jpg

But not everyone is feeling the happiness and joy the holidays bring. Larfleeze, the crafty leader of the Orange Lanterns, is doing everything in his power to make sure there's nothing left under anyone's tree, stealing presents from heroes and villains alike. Can you stop him?

GU7_1.jpg

And if all you want for Christmas is someone else's two front teeth, there's a brand new 5v5 Player vs. Player map that will take you into the heart of the Watchtower and provide you with plenty of heroes' and villains' faces to smash.

Whether it's holiday cheer, stolen presents, or PvP you're looking forward to, Game Update 7: Season's Greedings will be along just in time to make your season bright!

Ashodin

Sounds like fun!

Since they know that they're heavily being watched as the new kid F2P in town, Smedley is making DC UO shine bright!

*thinks about Update 7*

Okay, that makes a ton of sense and it's not another seasonal event with Batman villains. I am very much OK with this.

On the other hand, they REALLY need more from the WW/Circe side of things. Seems like she's getting ignored badly.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm just hopping back in after a looooooong time off.

Polarizing powers are so weaksauce. I created a new character and tried out.... unless I'm doing it wrong, and I don't think I am, the tree blows.

Effect

Been playing again after being a way for a long time. I not sure how I enjoyed this before. I played with a keyboard and mouse originally but playing it now is so frustrating and simply not fun when it comes to combat. I remember not having a problem with it before or at least getting used to it. I had to be fine with it because I have a level 30 Superman mentored character and a level 4 or 5 Batman mentored character. I wouldn't have gotten to that point if I hated the controls the way I do now. I'm going to give a few more sessions tomorrow but if it doesn't click, free or not, I'm going have to uninstall this.

DY_nasty

Been playing again after being a way for a long time. I not sure how I enjoyed this before. I played with a keyboard and mouse originally but playing it now is so frustrating and simply not fun when it comes to combat. I remember not having a problem with it before or at least getting used to it. I had to be fine with it because I have a level 30 Superman mentored character and a level 4 or 5 Batman mentored character. I wouldn't have gotten to that point if I hated the controls the way I do now. I'm going to give a few more sessions tomorrow but if it doesn't click, free or not, I'm going have to uninstall this.

You PvP?

Because the world isn't filled with scrubs like it used to be. I could walk around and simply block once or twice to stuff a guy's combo then pound him through the dirt then waltz off like he didn't have a huge level advantage on me. Also, I'm getting my ass handed to me by regular enemies on the regular too (although, this is my first time using the hand blast stuff).

Effect

Not yet. I'm talking about just general npc combat. I'm also noticing this weird lag in the controls as well and maybe that's playing a part. Still the general feel and setup is a problem.

DY_nasty

Not yet. I'm talking about just general npc combat. I'm also noticing this weird lag in the controls as well and maybe that's playing a part. Still the general feel and setup is a problem.

The UI is way better than before, there's no more annoying lag in menu screens. I think I just picked a broken weapon or something though... Handblasters feel like crap. I can never seem get steady damage out of them.

*thinks about Update 7*

Okay, that makes a ton of sense and it's not another seasonal event with Batman villains. I am very much OK with this.

On the other hand, they REALLY need more from the WW/Circe side of things. Seems like she's getting ignored badly.

The next series of raids is due to be magic-focused, so I'm sure we'll see more of Wonder Woman, Circe and other iconic DC magic characters. The devs seemed to tease Phantom Stranger a while back so I'm thinking we may end up seeing him somewhere in that set of raids.

Is this game a face roller or is there actual mechanics at play here? Thought about giving it a try just to say I tried it now that its F2P.

Top Bottom