• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Is this game a face roller or is there actual mechanics at play here? Thought about giving it a try just to say I tried it now that its F2P.

If there ever was a Marvel Ultimate Alliance Online, this would be it. The combat mechanics play about an equal part imo... you can get by just mashing, but to get into the higher end things and PvP, you need to know what you're doing to be successful.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If there ever was a Marvel Ultimate Alliance Online, this would be it. The combat mechanics play about an equal part imo... you can get by just mashing, but to get into the higher end things and PvP, you need to know what you're doing to be successful.
Yeah you can face roll most of the content, except for the higher tier raids/instances and PvP. Those require some teamwork or you're not gonna complete them. PvP also requires some thinking. You need to understand how the combat system works and be able to identify moves if you don't want to get steamrolled.

DY_nasty

Yeah you can face roll most of the content, except for the higher tier raids/instances and PvP. Those require some teamwork or you're not gonna complete them. PvP also requires some thinking. You need to understand how the combat system works and be able to identify moves if you don't want to get steamrolled.

I'm working on a shock character right now Killthee. I used to be in the old GAF league but I got pulled away due to work, can you add me again?

Noblesse Oblige, hero, PS3

I've thrown this out there before, but if people want a hand on the hero side, US PS3 I'm happy to help. Add me as a friend: Kid Sorbet

Killthee

I'm working on a shock character right now Killthee. I used to be in the old GAF league but I got pulled away due to work, can you add me again?

Noblesse Oblige, hero, PS3
I'm rarely on the hero side these days, you'd be better off grouping with Mercury Fred/Kid Sorbet.

I'm rarely on the hero side these days, you'd be better off grouping with Mercury Fred/Kid Sorbet.

Which is a shame, cuz Morrow rules :D

Btw, sorry I didn't reply to your reply the other night, we were already raiding by then. Finally got the FoS3 speed feat and scored the DPS necklace there :D

Have you gotten a SPARC weapon? I'm holding off until I can get the 113 version. CR is still at 65...

Ashodin

I'm on USPC side, if anyone is available for play - me and my brothers play usually every night!

I'll have more pictures of my other characters soon.

Killthee

Which is a shame, cuz Morrow rules :D

Btw, sorry I didn't reply to your reply the other night, we were already raiding by then. Finally got the FoS3 speed feat and scored the DPS necklace there :D

Have you gotten a SPARC weapon? I'm holding off until I can get the 113 version. CR is still at 65...
Figured as much, no worries.

I should have enough marks to get the 113 version today, but my combat rating is at 66 : /

I think I might go for the DPS trinket since I'm still using the spring trinket.

Figured as much, no worries.

I should have enough marks to get the 113 version today, but my combat rating is at 66 : /

I think I might go for the DPS trinket since I'm still using the spring trinket.

Yeah, I don't really want to pick up the blue one. I grabbed the DPS head piece today to replace my old T2. Hoping that I can bump my CR enough to get the 113 before too long. Unfortunately, none of the accessories or trinket are as good as the gear I have already, but the new armor set is a nice way to be able to stop-gap along the way to a full T3 set.

Killthee

Yeah, I don't really want to pick up the blue one. I grabbed the DPS head piece today to replace my old T2. Hoping that I can bump my CR enough to get the 113 before too long. Unfortunately, none of the accessories or trinket are as good as the gear I have already, but the new armor set is a nice way to be able to stop-gap along the way to a full T3 set.
Got two rings instead of the trinket and that bumped my rating to 68. Should have the weapon in a couple of days now.

I'm on USPC side, if anyone is available for play - me and my brothers play usually every night!

I'll have more pictures of my other characters soon.

I'm around, usually. You can add me: Cold Front

or my alts: Illuminada (controller) and Summer Moon (healer)

LakeEarth

I just got this, free is free. Finished the big download, made my Johnny Storm clone and got it going. Just wondering, is a 2500+ queue normal, or did I log in at a peak hour?

darkwing

I just got this, free is free. Finished the big download, made my Johnny Storm clone and got it going. Just wondering, is a 2500+ queue normal, or did I log in at a peak hour?

peak hour, premium gets a bit faster inside I think, legendary has no queue

Killthee

Ugh, RadarX is saying crafting isn't in Update 7.

RadarX said:
Folks to clear up any confusion, R&D [crafting] is not in this update. As you can see from some of the negative feedback surrounding the delay we try to only discuss things when we are certain of their release.

As someone mentioned, yes these content updates are going to be smaller and a little more frequent. The DLC just launched last week so there is still plenty to do.

Also I've cleaned up the off topic posts. Let's minimize that please.

Not sure if I'm gonna renew when my sub ends in Jan with the way things are going. At this point my main is pretty much maxed out. I'm just running dailies and logging out....

Killthee

Been actually having a lot of fun getting into bounty groups and running around the cities to take 'em down. Also doing the CC dailies pretty regularly :)
Morrow it is then. I think my CR rating should be high enough to get into CC. Send me a message if you see me on tomorrow when you start your group and I'll join you guys.

Morrow it is then. I think my CR rating should be high enough to get into CC. Send me a message if you see me on tomorrow when you start your group and I'll join you guys.

Sounds good, will do. Oh, and thanks for the tip on the CC rings. I bought one and it bumped me up from 65 to 66.

Killthee

Update 7 patch notes.

Server Downtime 12.13.2011 - Game Update 7 Notes Included

All servers will be offline beginning at 8:00 AM PT (5:00 PM CET) for a patch to the DCUO client. Downtime is anticipated to be less than 3 hours. Players may note the following changes (more notes may be added):

New PvP Arena! Watch your back! Take on other players in the new 5v5 death-match arena located high above Earth in the Justice League of America Watchtower! Look for “Watchtower (5 vs 5)” under Arenas: PvP in your On Duty menu.

New Seasonal Content & Daily Mission! –Larfleeze wants the holidays all to himself. He stole everyone’s holiday gifts and is attempting to send them off-world for his own selfish use. Find and recover the stolen gifts in Metropolis and Gotham City before it’s too late! Look for “Yuletide Fear” (Villains) or “Winter Plunderland” (Heroes) in your Mission Journal.
  • New Seasonal Collections –See who made the Naughty and Nice list this holiday season!
  • New Seasonal Items and Appearances –Collect Holly Leaves by completing the “Season’s Greedings” Daily Mission.
  • New Seasonal Feats – Winter is Coming so be sure to stock up on seasonal feats!

Oolong Island!
The defenses of Oolong Island have been redeployed in an effort to keep out those that threaten Chang Tzu's plans.

• Pterosaurs will now move to ground level when attacking, rather than nuking from orbit.
  • Oolong Island is now shorter than previous versions.
  • Many count requirements have been reduced.
  • Crazed Robots no longer re-spawn in most areas.
  • Players no longer need to collect parts for T.O. Morrow before gaining access to his Laboratory.
  • The 'Protect the Scientists’ section is now a wave event that is more manageable.
  • Various fixes were made throughout Oolong Island.

Vendor Item Sorting!

• Vendors should now display a logical sorted order to their sale lists.

Alerts:

Oolong Island:

• Oolong Enforcer should now always summon its minions even if the fight resets.

Oan Sciencells:

• Prison Break: This Mission should now complete properly.

Audio:

• New music has been added for the Tap Room Safehouse.
  • A new unique Winter Holiday seasonal piece of music has been added to Gotham City and Metropolis when players zone into each (available during the Winter Holiday only).

Feats:
  • The "Coast City Duo" feat has been renamed "Ferris Aircraft".
  • “Deprogrammed” should now complete as intended.

General:

• Players should now be able to consume collection items that have been removed from their bank or shared bank slots.
  • Combat rating should no longer incorrectly display as zero after leaving Legends PvP or leveling up.
  • Multiple stacks of the same item sent through the mail should now give the recipient the correct amount when claimed.
  • Fixed pathing issues of Robot and Green Lantern in the Monitor Womb of the JLA Watchtower.
  • Certain collection nodes in Gotham City that were re-spawning too fast have been fixed to have spawn times in-line with other collection nodes.
  • The Lantern Corps Deputization Decree can now be deleted.
  • Phase-with should now work properly for group mates in Central City.
  • The Quick Menu option “Phase With” will now put you in the same Central City instance/area as your Group or Friend.

Marketplace:

• Steam: You can no longer attempt to purchase Station Cash through the Steam wallet if you have Steam Community disabled in-game. You will be directed to turn this option back on in order to make Station Cash purchases.
  • Players can now directly access the Marketplace through an Account Access Level dialog box in the User Interface.
  • The Marketplace should now show the correct amount of Station Cash needed to gain Premium Access.
  • PS3 Only: Users should now get a more accurate purchase completion message after purchasing items from the marketplace.
  • A Festive Winter Hat and Reindeer Antlers have been added to the marketplace.
  • Long hair will no longer show through the Sequined Urban Cap on male characters.

Missions:

• Through the Portal: Donna Troy now properly resets to her starting locations after KO’ing players.
  • Fear Itself: Scarecrow will no longer appear to have "deer in the headlights" syndrome after throwing grenades at his enemies.

Movement Mode:

Acrobat:

• Fixed an issue that prevented fast movement mode from increasing speed even though the effects were displaying.

Powers:

• Increased the bonus to Dominance while in the Controller role to 100%.

Gadgets:

Neural Neutralizer is now properly listed as being useable while controlled as well as states it has a damage prevention barrier.

Raids:

Sunstone Matrix:

• Kryptonian Infantry's Whirlwind attack radius now matches its effects radius.

Skills:
  • The Stealth trait purchasable in the Martial Arts and Bow weapon trees has been renamed Cunning; This trait now boost Critical Power Chance by 1% in addition to increasing Stealth Rating by +1 Level.

UI:

• Any stats on the character sheet that are zero should no longer be displayed.
  • PS3 Only: Fixed a crash that could occur after pressing X when scrolling using the analog stick.
  • Character Select: Fixed an issue where character count would increment on queue status updates.
  • Corrected the description of the "Critical Healing Magnitude" Trait. It now properly reads as "Boost Critical Healing Magnitude..."
  • Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause targetable NPC’s names and icons to display in yellow instead of their intended color.
  • Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause your User Interface to show you were in a combat state when you were not.

Visual:
  • Fixed various environmental visual bugs in Metropolis and Gotham City.
  • Fixed an issue with graphical distortion on Joker presents.
  • The handholds for potted plants in the Gotham University duo have been corrected.
  • Fixed an issue with graphical distortion in Area 51.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the fire or ice brawling ranged beam effects to play twice when used with an ability that has a longer animation.
  • Shades of Gray: Fixed a number of geometry issues within the Oblivion Bar.
  • Fixed various visual issues associated with clipping through gear.
  • Fixed numerous issues with animal skin clipping through head gear.
  • Out of the Shadows: Various particle effect adjustments and targetable objects fixed.

Weapons:
  • New 97DPS Epic Weapons for every role have been added to Oolong Island Hard Mode, HIVE Hard Mode, League of Assassins Stronghold and Batcave: Outer Caverns Alerts.

Martial Arts:
  • Increased the combo reset timer for Martial Arts to bring it in line with other melee weapons.

Update 7 patch notes.

Wow, nice that it's hitting tomorrow.

Very psyched that Oolong is getting scaled back a little. That T2 is like an 8-man raid at the moment. And glad that phasing with group members in CC is getting fixed. That was really damn annoying. Hope the seasonal stuff is fun and not too time consuming, the CC dailies take up a lot of time as it is...

Carm

Anyone having the issue where the launchpad says it requires flash to work, yet flash is already installed? Everquest 2 launcher works fine, DC Universe worked like 3 weeks ago. I've uninstalled flash and reinstalled still the same, launcher won't work.

DY_nasty

Down.

Is it true they're already going to nerf the electric powers?

Killthee

Down.

Is it true they're already going to nerf the electric powers?
Haven't seen anything yet on a nerf, but I did see something about a bug fix.

Tunso said:
Rescue healing on group members under 35% should be fixed now. And the Invigorate supercharge should function more like you'd expect it too. We got these fixes in later so the patch notes didn't get updated yet. It takes several days to complete patch notes as they need to go through internationalization to be translated. This is why things are sometimes not in the patch notes on day one, since it can take several days sometimes for a note to make its way through all the channels.

They need to do more public testing before releasing the DLC powers. Issues like the HL Fan, HL Whip, and the HL Light Weight could have been patched before they were introduced to the live servers had they tested the powers properly. I'm sure there's some new exploits/over powered moves people will be discovering in the Electric trees in the coming weeks that they'll try to stealth nerf. Especially if the moves are affecting PvP.

Pretty small update. Guess they really are cutting back in favor of DLC packs.
Yeah, it's gonna be micro updates going forward. Guessing they're stealth patching in some new stuff though cause the download is too big (2GB's) for just a seasonal event and some bug fixes.

Killthee

Christmas in Metropolis is pretty fn awesome.
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the seasonal stuff. I'm glad they went back to the St Paddy/Spring type event instead of the lame Halloween instance reskin they gave us. Love what they did with Gotham and the music track is pretty good too.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the seasonal stuff. I'm glad they went back to the St Paddy/Spring type event instead of the lame Halloween instance reskin they gave us. Love what they did with Gotham and the music track is pretty good too.

Agreed. The little instances with Orange Lanterns and the gifts are entertaining and good for laugh. Gotham looks fantastic all holiday'd up :D

JMizzlin

What are the odds of the Lantern DLC going on sale during the Christmas period? Is it worth waiting to see or just buy now?

Also, I'm a level 16 Ice hero and I want to focus on this character. Is buying the Lantern DLC immediately worth it? I heard you can only roll a new Light character or respec at 30. Do I get any items with the DLC that I can use on my main character?

Loving the game so far. Successfully got a lot of friends to try it and now we've got a league. Very exciting.

Killthee

Only problems I run into on the ps3 side is loss of sound.
Yeah that seems to be occurring more frequently. Guessing the audio patches in the last update introduced a new bug.

What are the odds of the Lantern DLC going on sale during the Christmas period? Is it worth waiting to see or just buy now?

Also, I'm a level 16 Ice hero and I want to focus on this character. Is buying the Lantern DLC immediately worth it? I heard you can only roll a new Light character or respec at 30. Do I get any items with the DLC that I can use on my main character?

Loving the game so far. Successfully got a lot of friends to try it and now we've got a league. Very exciting.
Not sure if they'll put it on sale, but if you're playing the PC version they usually have a Double Station Cash Weekend every couple of months where you double the credit for every pre-paid card you redeem during the weekend. Keep an eye on the Announcements board for them.

There's no rush if you don't plan to make a new Hard Light character. The alerts that come with the DLC are locked until your Combat Rating reaches 43. There's a bunch of gear in the alerts that you can only get there and most of it is pretty good if you're not fully geared.

gotee12

Where do you guys go to get detailed info concerning updates? For example, I logged in, saw the "Winter Plunderland" quest, selected it, found Hal, retrieved the gifts, got the holly, and that was it.

Hal didn't give me any further direction. He would only say "seasons greetings". The quest seemed to be a one off as it didn't break out into some kind of quest line. I had holly but no clue as to what it did nor why I should care. I had no other holiday themed quests in my journal. I was lost. After a bit of googling, I've found other folks with the same questions in comment sections/forum posts/etc and others had answered their questions. What are the odds noobs like me are going to instantly know to fly up next to a vending machine by Hal to spend our holly?

Is there a single place where everything in this holiday update is laid out in detail so that as a noob I'm not so lost?

Or maybe I'm just an idiot, a somewhat frustrated idiot.

Top Bottom