• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

zulfate

Is that confirmed? It looked off to me, but I wasn't 100% sure it was running at 30fps... It didn't look like 60 to me, but it did feel much more consistent than PS3.

Not confirmed i can just tell. I am not sure why i know the ps3 has enough power to run this gamr at 60 fps.

EDIT: i meant ps4. I am not used to saying ps4 yet :)

Just started playing. Made a Loli Ice Demon with a heart of gold as my character. :D

BaRx3LoIEAAwXA0.jpg:large

oktarb

. Which power are you using? Some powers look much, much better than others. Also, different weapons have different combo types. You may find one that has a different feel that you like better.

I've experimented with a bunch at lower levels. For my main weapon I seem to keep settling on Blaster as I like range and it fits my style. But I am a self professed altaholic.

It just seems like the combat doesn't have much flow. Its chunk, chunk CHUNK. And mad a ton of knock down mechanics. I think I have to get better at breaking them but still sometimes it can be ridiculous. I've never been a fan of a mechanic that take control away from me for too long.

Recently Warframe has dug its claws into me deeply.

Nightz

Anyone else have the issue where the game looks a little "zoomed in"? My chat window and the mini map have portions that are off the screen and I can't find any configurations to fix it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Anyone else have the issue where the game looks a little "zoomed in"? My chat window and the mini map have portions that are off the screen and I can't find any configurations to fix it.
That's overscan. There's a slider under Settings -> UI -> Screen Scale -> Move it all the way to the right -> press Square. If it's too small, you can tweak with the slider to get something you're comfortable with.

Nightz

That's overscan. There's a slider under Settings -> UI -> Screen Scale -> Move it all the way to the right -> press Square. If it's too small, you can tweak with the slider to get something you're comfortable with.

Thought I messed with that setting last night, but I'll give it a shot again later when I get home. Thanks.

Killthee

Thought I messed with that setting last night, but I'll give it a shot again later when I get home. Thanks.
You have to press Square after moving it otherwise it won't save when you close the settings window.

zulfate

On the controller hold L1 and hit down on the d-pad will move the camera back, hit up for zoom.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I had downloaded this on PS4, and it managed to pop back up with 4 characters I made way back when the game was launched.

Is this game on 1 server, or multiple servers? I'm not entirely sure what server I might be on.

But I did see that I was somehow, a higher up/admin of a "GAF United" clan, from the beginning...

Killthee

I had downloaded this on PS4, and it managed to pop back up with 4 characters I made way back when the game was launched.

Is this game on 1 server, or multiple servers? I'm not entirely sure what server I might be on.

But I did see that I was somehow, a higher up/admin of a "GAF United" clan, from the beginning...
They merged the original launch servers into a four regional servers (US PS3/PS4, EU PS3/PS4, US PC, & EU PC) a few months after launch. If you're playing the console version your download region will dictate the server you're place in (NA PS3 or PS4 download = US PS3/PS4 while EU PS3 or PS4 download = EU PS3/PS4). Within each server there's multiple instances of the game running concurrently with each other in the background, but you can easily group up with someone in a different instance by partying up with them. You can also switch between a PvP and a PvE overworld by going into the Phase Shifter in your faction HQ.

So the forums are in an uproar over Rage potentially being the next tank power. I really hope it is as it will become my power of choice for sure.

Fewr

Question: there is this mission early in the game where I have to stun some enemies then use an amulet to steal tehir memories. How do I use this amulet or where do I get it?

Also, is there a way to change the language? my game is in spanish and I can't search for specific missions because I don't know the names.

Thanks.

Killthee

Question: there is this mission early in the game where I have to stun some enemies then use an amulet to steal tehir memories. How do I use this amulet or where do I get it?

Also, is there a way to change the language? my game is in spanish and I can't search for specific missions because I don't know the names.

Thanks.
I think language is tied to your System Language in System Settings. Change that to English and the game should switch.

As for the mission, I don't recall that one specifically but I'm guessing it's this one? Usually for those mission types you automatically get 'items' like the amulet by progressing through the quest so by the time you get an objective like 'use the amulet' it's just a matter of beating up the specific enemy (looks like Magent's for this one) and then holding circle when the icon appears above his head to use the 'item'.

Fewr

Yes, that's the one.

I stun them, but I havent' seen the prompt to press circle. I'll try again in a few hours. Thanks for that and for the language tip.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just downloaded the game for shits and giggles on my PS4 and the dude I created back when the game launched on PS3 is still there!

If I were to keep playing, it seems the Flash DLC is the main one worth getting as it adds a new city. Yes?

Killthee

Just downloaded the game for shits and giggles on my PS4 and the dude I created back when the game launched on PS3 is still there!

If I were to keep playing, it seems the Flash DLC is the main one worth getting as it adds a new city. Yes?
I wouldn't call it a city. It's a small shared instance (the Flash Museum and a small area around it) that can only house 50 other people. It's nowhere near the size of Metropolis or Gotham and if I were to compare it to a landmark in those areas the first thing that pops into my mind is the Gotham Knightsdome + the parking lots around it.

If you don't have a lot of the higher end gear your only options are pretty much the Fight for the Light DLC, Lightning Strikes, or The Last Laugh (if you're into Legends PvP). All the other packs are more geared towards higher lv gear so you'll have to grind to use their content.

Dead

well not really...yet
Hmmm alright. Looks like there is a 50% off bundle for the Fight for the Light dlc. Might as well.

dubq

I just got back into this due to the PS4. I had been on PS3 since beta, but over the last year I had been getting disconnects every time I tried to play. Thankfully PS4 seems to have remedied this and I can actually play the game again! Glad to use my old Hero Controller.. and I just leveled up a new Villain Controller to 30 and Tier 2 armor so far.

After I get all of my T2 gear on this Villain, I think I am going to start spending MOT on DPS gear as well. I never used to encounter this before, but lately I've been pugging into ALL controller groups. It's really bizarre.. I guess more people are getting into the role.. whether or not they know what they're doing. ;)

Also loving this via Remote Play on the Vita!

Anyway, I added my info to the OP's google doc. Would love to join a league if anyone has one going.

Hero: dubq
Villain: Ultra Magus

dubq

Got my first piece of T3 gear last night. Back piece for my villain. Much further than I ever got with my hero and in much shorter time, too. Finally boosting my VIT/DOM with some nice beta mods, so that's cool, too.

One thing that still bugs me about this game is that so many people play the blame game when they get squashed. I got "called out" the other night in the Chasm for not throwing enough power. Well, it's an 8-man instance, and I'm the only Controller and I'm only on 2.5, and you always have a few guys in there who just spam their powers, so I'm constantly working on them. I don't think it's reasonable to expect me to keep the ENTIRE group with full blue bars.. regardless, I suggested we get a second controller so that one of us could do POT and the other could do instant power... and I got kicked for it. Very douchey, IMO.

Still though, the good usually outweighs the bad in my experience.. it just seems that when I have a complaint, it's the issue above.

Hello All,

My friend and I just started playing this on PS4, we did the first couple of main missions. We beat Scarecrow and Bane and are currently level 10. Do you all have any useful tips for beginners? What should be be focusing on this early in the game? We want to get some of that cool armor in The Watchtower, should we be doing anything special this early on in the game so we can get that armor later?

Thanks for the help. :)

Killthee

Aw, man :(

If you need some help on the hero side, just say the word :)
I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to give the hero side another shot. ; )

Hello All,

My friend and I just started playing this on PS4, we did the first couple of main missions. We beat Scarecrow and Bane and are currently level 10. Do you all have any useful tips for beginners? What should be be focusing on this early in the game? We want to get some of that cool armor in The Watchtower, should we be doing anything special this early on in the game so we can get that armor later?

Feats. You should be trying to finish as much of them as you can while leveling up to 30 cause for every 100 feat points you get you earn an extra skill point. More skill points = higher stats cause there's tons of stat boosters buried in all the weapon trees.

As for the armor, you can't really do anything about it till you reach 30. Once you reach 30 though you should start to focus on raising your Combat Rating (CR) if you're set on getting that armor quickly. Every item you can equip basically has a CR value, your total CR is a percentage of the highest possible CR combination you can get with all the items you own. So if you have three head pieces; a CR20 equipped, a CR30 you can equip in the bank, and a third piece that is a CR45 but you can't equip it cause it's only for a specific role your CR will be based on the CR30 piece in the bank.

The reason why CR is so important is cause all the harder content has a CR requirement you must meet to queue up for it and in order to get Marks (currency) for the armor you need to be doing those missions. Generally the higher the CR requirement the more Marks are dropped in the instance. The easiest way to plow through the CR requirements is to get someone to carry you through an instance by using the portal for the instance instead of queuing up for it so you can bypass the CR requirement and earn more Marks than you would in content geared towards your CR.

Hello All,

Something I completely missed when I started playing: be sure to always check the blue and green exclamation mark spots. Same with the yellow question marks. When you get a piece of gear, even if the stats aren't great, make sure you try it on if you haven't yet collected the style which will show in green if that's the case. Also, try collecting exobits in the open world to make some quick cash :)

BizzyBum

I just downloaded this on PS4 and I actually ended up enjoying it a bit, but I'm such a sucker for games like this with grinding and collecting tons of shit.

Getting plat seems like it would take forever though.

Killthee

Can I unlock the trophies if I buy the Ultimate Edition or do I need to buy a sub?
I'm pretty sure you need a sub for the trophies to pop, but you can meet the requirements while being a free/premium player so they'll instantly pop whenever you sub. Basically you can buy the Ultimate Edition, complete the in game feats (achievements) that match the PSN trophies, sub for 1 month, log on, and you'll instantly get a trophy notification for all the trophy related feats you completed while being a premium member.

If you also have a PS3, you can double the trophy count by logging into the PS3 version while you're subbed and you'll get a PS3 trophy for all the trophies you got while playing the PS4 version.

never played an MMO before but this looks interesting. gonna boot this up on my PS4 in the coming days.

I find it super fun, really. The only other MMO-ish games I ever played were a couple of the Phantasy Star games. The combat and action is pretty enjoyable and if you like DC Comics at all there's a ton of fan service throughout.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I find it super fun, really. The only other MMO-ish games I ever played were a couple of the Phantasy Star games. The combat and action is pretty enjoyable and if you like DC Comics at all there's a ton of fan service throughout.

nice to hear it

and i'm a big fan of pre nu52 bat family & the dc u animated movies so i'm ready for some fan service

i'm planning on building a hero/acrobat/dual wield/ nature dude - are there any particular benefits of picking batman as a mentor over wonder woman? i'm interested in both

dubq

nice to hear it

and i'm a big fan of pre nu52 bat family & the dc u animated movies so i'm ready for some fan service

i'm planning on building a hero/acrobat/dual wield/ nature dude - are there any particular benefits of picking batman as a mentor over wonder woman? i'm interested in both

Basically your mentor only dictates your solo story experience. So you could still be a meta human mentored by Batman and you'd still just be doing Batman quests. I think it's one of the reasons they have the mentors as separate trophies, so that people create different characters to experience each solo storyline.

Jagxyz

Basically your mentor only dictates your solo story experience. So you could still be a meta human mentored by Batman and you'd still just be doing Batman quests. I think it's one of the reasons they have the mentors as separate trophies, so that people create different characters to experience each solo storyline.

To add on to that, you'll still do quests for WW and Superman even if you're mentored by Batman, just not as many.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to give the hero side another shot. ; )

Feats. You should be trying to finish as much of them as you can while leveling up to 30 cause for every 100 feat points you get you earn an extra skill point. More skill points = higher stats cause there's tons of stat boosters buried in all the weapon trees.

As for the armor, you can't really do anything about it till you reach 30. Once you reach 30 though you should start to focus on raising your Combat Rating (CR) if you're set on getting that armor quickly. Every item you can equip basically has a CR value, your total CR is a percentage of the highest possible CR combination you can get with all the items you own. So if you have three head pieces; a CR20 equipped, a CR30 you can equip in the bank, and a third piece that is a CR45 but you can't equip it cause it's only for a specific role your CR will be based on the CR30 piece in the bank.

The reason why CR is so important is cause all the harder content has a CR requirement you must meet to queue up for it and in order to get Marks (currency) for the armor you need to be doing those missions. Generally the higher the CR requirement the more Marks are dropped in the instance. The easiest way to plow through the CR requirements is to get someone to carry you through an instance by using the portal for the instance instead of queuing up for it so you can bypass the CR requirement and earn more Marks than you would in content geared towards your CR.

Something I completely missed when I started playing: be sure to always check the blue and green exclamation mark spots. Same with the yellow question marks. When you get a piece of gear, even if the stats aren't great, make sure you try it on if you haven't yet collected the style which will show in green if that's the case. Also, try collecting exobits in the open world to make some quick cash :)

Thank you for the tips. I'm level 21 now. I've been basically doing some on the story missions and Alerts. Most of the time I've been looking for all the orbs in Gotham right now. My mentor is Batman and my abilities are martial arts,acrobatics. And my character is a controller. What should I be focusing my points on as a controller?

Killthee

Thank you for the tips. I'm level 21 now. I've been basically doing some on the story missions and Alerts. Most of the time I've been looking for all the orbs in Gotham right now. My mentor is Batman and my abilities are martial arts,acrobatics. And my character is a controller. What should I be focusing my points on as a controller?
Vitalization is the big one for trolling. The higher your Vit, the more power you can pump out to the group.

Dominance also comes into play for crows control in the endgame content. You should be good with Dom as long as you have the minimum required for the instance.

Give this guide a skim to get some of the basics down: http://dcuo.mmorpg-life.com/2206/guides/dcuo-guides-controller-101/

Vitalization is the big one for trolling. The higher your Vit, the more power you can pump out to the group.

Dominance also comes into play for crows control in the endgame content. You should be good with Dom as long as you have the minimum required for the instance.

Give this guide a skim to get some of the basics down: http://dcuo.mmorpg-life.com/2206/guides/dcuo-guides-controller-101/

Cool, thanks for the help and link. I gave it a quick glance and its going to help me a lot. Whenever I'm doing missions or Alerts with others, I always felt like I should be doing something more than just fighting. Lol

dubq

Ahh, Controlling is such a thankless role. I love it, but holy fuck do people not appreciate the steps involved to do it properly, in my experience.

Top Bottom