• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Villain actually as well. I have one hero I dabble with on occasion. But I tend to like the villain side a bit more. Even if things do pop slower and stuff.

NeonZ

Have they gotten around to implementing a way to save and load style/costume sets yet? Or does the player still needs to do that manually piece by piece, color by color, every time he changes the characters' appearance? I remember that was a promise for future DLC a few months ago, but I had to delete the game to get HD space for my PS3, so its been a while since I played it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Have they gotten around to implementing a way to save and load style/costume sets yet? Or does the player still needs to do that manually piece by piece, color by color, every time he changes the characters' appearance? I remember that was a promise for future DLC a few months ago, but I had to delete the game to get HD space for my PS3, so its been a while since I played it.
That was scheduled to come out with the next DLC pack which I believe should come out in July.

dubq

I've been a long time player on PS3, since beta actually. Over the last little while I've been getting CONSTANT disconnects when in the Watch Tower. Give it 5 minutes and I'm sure to be sent back to the launchpad. Everywhere else in the game is fine.. Anyone else getting this?

Killthee

So will our ps3 characters and such work on the ps4 version?
That's the plan, but they're still evaluating it. We'll probably hear more about which way they're heading during SOE Live.

sZFOhTt.png
qCKJ7VV.png

Any DCUO news from SOE?

Side note, looks like Everquest Next is taking notes directly from a lot of what DCUO has done as far as movement and ability slots, etc.

Killthee

Any DCUO news from SOE?

Side note, looks like Everquest Next is taking notes directly from a lot of what DCUO has done as far as movement and ability slots, etc.
Yeah from the little tidbits I've read on EQN (8 skills, controller friendly, action focused), it just screams DCUO to me.

As for DCUO news, there wasn't much this year. Here's the keynote recap I posted in the Sons of Trigon thread:

It's over. It was much shorter this year and a little bit less detailed than what they've done in previous years.

• Halls of Power DLC has been pushed back. The League Halls and the Armory (personal quick costume change/loadout switch) have now been separated from the DLC pack and are now free content for everyone scheduled to launch alongside the DLC.
  • Summarized what they've already announced about the Sons of Trigon DLC details. Trigon demons have new models that will be replacing the current models.
  • PvE and PvP leaderboards are being added. Sounds like there will be several boards which you can select and display in your League Hall as a statue (like the huge statues in the Watchtower). Statue will take its form based on the top players in the leaderboard. Also talked about rotating the boards monthly so new people get a chance to be displayed.
  • DLC packs will continue to alternate between small group (solo, duos, alerts, etc...) and large group (raids). SoT DLC is small group.
  • Tier gear release is being reshuffled. They want to move the new tier releases into the small group DLC packs so people interested in new gear don't ignore the solo DLC's.
  • Story arcs are gonna be spread out between 3 separate DLC packs. They won't be released sequentially though, other arcs could be revisited after a new arc is introduced.
  • War of the Light DLC announced. Part 1 of a Lantern focused arc. St Walker will be introduced. Mogo will appear over Metropolis.
  • Amazon Fury announced (working title), Amazon focused arc. Hippolyte declares war against the world of man.
  • Halls of Power detailed a bit. Apokolips/New Gods arc. Travel to Apokolips and New Genesis, defend your League Hall against the New Gods.
  • Talked about PS4. Repeated E3 news (doesn't require plus, increased LOD, higher fidelity animations/draw distance). Same game. PS3 support will continue for a long time. PS3/PS4 share the same servers. Same characters/progression.
  • Talked about Celestial being different from Sorcery.
  • 4 new styles in SoT; N52 Raven, Eclypso, Demonic, Blessed. (Not 100% sure on this bit)
  • Celestial effects differ between faction like Hardlight does. It also has power combos like Hardlight. Healing is a mix between burst/HoT, the power of your heals is based on your damage output. DPS is a mix between precision & might, leans on the precision side.
  • SoT out this Fall. War of the Light will follow. Wouldn't comment on the order of Halls of Power/Amazon Fury.

Video: http://www.twitch.tv/dcuniverseonline/b/439897032

Larry Liberty also did an interview with Shack News
where he said the team would celebrate the day they don't have to support the PS3 version cause of the RAM constraints that version imposes on the team. He went on to say support would continue for a while cause that's where the base is, but he wouldn't be surprised if there's a quick migration to PS4. I don't think SOE was particularly happy with the way that interview was written, they sent Shack News a statement that PS3 support would continue and there's no current plans to end it.

Outside of SOE Live, they asked for feedback in the game forums a few nights ago pertaining to the upcoming Sorcery/Nature power revamp.

Well good to hear that will be able to migrate my ps3 character. The performance on ps3 really hurts my interest in playing it.

Doubt they are going to see that big of a migration of people off the ps3 version though

Double D

So I just started playing this on PS3. First MMO I've ever played.

Got to the part where you have to block break and it tells me to hold triangle. I spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out what the hell to do and ended up just turning the game off. Can anyone hep me out? I googled and watched videos but still have no idea.

Got to the part where you have to block break and it tells me to hold triangle. I spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out what the hell to do and ended up just turning the game off. Can anyone hep me out? I googled and watched videos but still have no idea.

What weapon are you using?

Killthee

I haven't touched the game in a long time now, but I'm guessing you got stuck during the tutorial. Basically the combat system is designed to play like rock, paper, scissors with 3 basic moves that each counter one move while being vulnerable to the other. I never played the updated tutorial you're stuck in, but my understanding is you have to perform all three types of attack to progress forward.

A block breaker is performed when an opponent is blocking and you attack him with your hold triangle move. So wait for the enemy to block and then hold triangle to attack him with your BB. You'll see your character perform an animation that ends up throwing something to the enemy causing him to fall on his butt. If nothing happens when you hold triangle, my only suggestion is to double check your skill tree to make sure the hold triangle combo has been unlocked.

Double D

What weapon are you using?

I haven't touched the game in a long time now, but I'm guessing you got stuck during the tutorial. Basically the combat system is designed to play like rock, paper, scissors with 3 basic moves that each counter one move while being vulnerable to the other. I never played the updated tutorial you're stuck in, but my understanding is you have to perform all three types of attack to progress forward.

A block breaker is performed when an opponent is blocking and you attack him with your hold triangle move. So wait for the enemy to block and then hold triangle to attack him with your BB. You'll see your character perform an animation that ends up throwing something to the enemy causing him to fall on his butt. If nothing happens when you hold triangle, my only suggestion is to double check your skill tree to make sure the hold triangle combo has been unlocked.

Thanks for responding. I picked gadgets and martial arts (or whatever it's called, right now I'm punching dudes and have no weapons). I just got an ability to lasso and stun enemies. Basically when I hold triangle my character punches once and then just stands there.

Killthee

Thanks for responding. I picked gadgets and martial arts (or whatever it's called, right now I'm punching dudes and have no weapons). I just got an ability to lasso and stun enemies. Basically when I hold triangle my character punches once and then just stands there.
IIRC, the MA block breaker is a throwing star. You saying you throw out a single punch is making me think you managed to unequip your basic weapon and have reverted to the basic no weapon equipped animations.

Check your inventory and make sure you have a weapon equipped to the primary weapon slot.

qE3u6pl.png

If you have a weapon equipped and you still can only throw punches with triangle, then the only other thing I can suggest is to open your skill tree and make sure the first attack in the Martial Arts tree has been purchased.

m8X06M1.jpg

Hey guys, i used to play this long ago during beta actually. gonna start playing again for the hell of it. just a few questions...

if i avail of the 1 month membership, can i download all dlc for free? if not, how?
whats the best dlc? im kinda interested in the flash dlc only. :p
my new guy is ice/bow, hows that for a dps character?
and lastly, my old account is "premium", what are the perks? not really clear on it

thanks!

Hey guys, i used to play this long ago during beta actually. gonna start playing again for the hell of it. just a few questions...

if i avail of the 1 month membership, can i download all dlc for free? if not, how?
whats the best dlc? im kinda interested in the flash dlc only. :p
my new guy is ice/bow, hows that for a dps character?
and lastly, my old account is "premium", what are the perks? not really clear on it

thanks!

If you subscribe all of the DLC are available to play. Everyone gets the content downloaded with patches but unless you're Legendary or you have bought that individual DLC then the content is locked for you. One exception is DLC powers. If you go Legendary, make a toon with one of the DLC powers then let Legendary run out you still get to use that power on that toon.

The DLCs all have their strengths and weaknesses and it's hard for me to imagine the game without any of them as each builds off of the previous one for the most part. I wouldn't want to be without any of them.

I can't recall the Premium benefits, it might be a little more cash allowance than straight F2P but don't quote me on that ;)

My main toon is ice and a bow user and I like it for DPSing, however getting ice to do big numbers isn't easy. The more popular DPS sets these days are Hard Light, Quantum, Gadgets, Mental, Electricity and Fire. But really any of them can work.

Vizzeh

Banned
I would like to take blame on this myself, but I did not know this was free on the PS3 and im sure many of my friend dont know about it either, I know a few who love their comics etc too, surely Sony need to have this game pinned to the Home screen or something, with a big FREE to PLAY on it...only reason I found out about it was that I was checking out the games that will be available on PS4 and have been looking through the F2P titles...

sagat2036

Iam getting the itch to play again.... Its been since the FR/BiA outdoor loot nerfs.

Is everyone waiting for Ps4 and its UI update to jump back in?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wonder what this will look like on PS4. It was fun on PS3 but the framrate was atrocious for the most part.

Killthee

I wonder what this will look like on PS4. It was fun on PS3 but the framrate was atrocious for the most part.
They were running the game at 1080p 60fps back in June:

"Right now we're running at 60 fps, which is double the frame-rate of PS3, and we're running at 1080p, which is around double the resolution of what PS3 is (720p). We feel that is a really good baseline."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/e3-2013-dcuo-plans-to-remain-completely-free-on-ps4/

Even crappy offscreen YouTube videos display the improvements they've made to the game.

Killthee

CBR posted a really good interview with Jens about porting the game over to PS4. It's too long to quote everything but he mentions some of the improvements they've done, the difficulty in porting the game over, the current status of the PS4 build, and plans for the future.

Veteran users who are either sticking on the PC or coming over to the PS4, are going to notice a change to quality of life things just in the game mechanics alone -- camera enhancements, user interface enhancements, things like that. From a graphical standpoint, we needed to take all the assets in the game and the environment and we needed to improve the graphics. This was really going to benefit mostly our PS4 and PC players. They're going to see a lot more enhanced graphics in terms of the visual fidelity of the lighting and the texture detail. They're going to see environment level-of-detail settings pushed way farther out into the horizon. Really a lot of work from every department, from engineering to art to design. Everyone contributed a massive mount to get things ready.

However, I know that Sony is definitely interested in promotions for PlayStation Plus and all kinds of things that are going on for the PS4, so down the road, there may be opportunities that could be platform exclusive. We have done that in the past, but we don't want to show any favoritism to loyal players that are making the jump and loyal players that are actually staying back on the PS3.

Now, there was a lot of back-and-forth between Epic and us while we were doing that. I'm not sure where they ended up and what each side contributed, but I know it was a Herculean effort on our part to get it up and running. We basically had to start all over again from the ground up in getting every single feature working: the user interface, the renderer -- everything from the ground up. It was a tremendous effort and they did a really good job. They've been working on nailing down the fine details as we've gone through the submission process and submitted the game to Sony Computer Entertainment. They've asked us to address a few things, which we were addressing just last week. We're always trying to make sure it's as solid as possible, and it looks really good right now. I'm really proud of the engineering team and the work they've done to get it to work.

Full interview here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48902

Ok. I'm seriously considering coming back to this since I got my PS4. I'm curious to hear from people here.

So I left before the game went F2P, and I've been hesitant to come back because I feel like all my work would have gone to waste. I was working towards getting all the armor from the gold symbols you collect in raids, and had a few pieces, and mostly all silver piece stuff otherwise. I got up to the last Brainiac raid where you fight him in the big cave like thing.

I had a sorcery healer I really loved, but I'd be really sad if all my work was completely useless now and I'd feel like I needed to spend a lot of money to get the experience I used to get.

Thoughts anyone? Is the game better? Worse?

EDIT: O and is it still easy to find pick up parties for raids and duos? I doubt I'll ever have the schedule availability to plan these sorts of things out, but I always liked that DCUO had lots of stuff I could do on my own, like completing challenges for extra weapon points.

I think it depends on how much DLC you have. The more you have, the much more you can do and more extra goodies. Just, for perspective, while I play the game on PC, even the PC has a healthy population. (Though villains do have a longer wait on anything not cross faction) I'm going to assume the more popular PS3/PS4 will have it much easier. You will get a bad pug every now and then, but whatever what MMO doesn't have that happen when pugs are involved?

I think the game's improved much from the early days. Peek at some of the DLC Packs and see if anything strikes your interest. There is a lot to do, both team/raid/duo and even solo which is important to me as well.

Dunlop

Don't get my PS4 for a couple of weeks, but reinstalled my PC client loaded in my lvl 30 character and stared blankly at the screen.

I have no clue how to play anymore lol. I'll relearn when I get the PS4 with a new toon

So I downloaded this on PS4, but I've yet to boot into it as I don't under stabs how the DLC works. Are some packs essential to early game progress and character creation?

Killthee

So I downloaded this on PS4, but I've yet to boot into it as I don't under stabs how the DLC works. Are some packs essential to early game progress and character creation?
Yes and no. You don't need any of the DLC packs for early story content or missions, it's mostly endgame stuff when you start getting hit with DLC requirements.

Powers are a different matter though. The free base game portion includes 6 powers. 2 healers (Sorcery & Nature), 2 tanks (Fire & Ice), and 2 controllers (Gadgets & Mental). Every other power is part of a DLC pack so you'll need to purchase either the DLC pack or a subscription. If you purchase a sub you'll have access to all the DLC packs for the duration of your sub and any character you make with a DLC power will be yours to keep even if your sub expires.

The DLC powers are:

Fight for the Light - Hardlight [Green/Yellow Lantern power] (controller)
Lightning Strikes - Electricity (healer)
Battle for Earth - Earth (tank)
Origin Crisis - Quantum (controller)
Sons of Trigon - Celestial (healer)

There's also one weapon type locked behind a DLC pack (The Last Laugh - Shield).

If you want an idea of what else the DLC packs include check out the wiki: http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content

Yes and no. You don't need any of the DLC packs for early story content or missions, it's mostly endgame stuff when you start getting hit with DLC requirements.

Powers are a different matter though. The free base game portion includes 6 powers. 2 healers (Sorcery & Nature), 2 tanks (Fire & Ice), and 2 controllers (Gadgets & Mental). Every other power is part of a DLC pack so you'll need to purchase either the DLC pack or a subscription. If you purchase a sub you'll have access to all the DLC packs for the duration of your sub and any character you make with a DLC power will be yours to keep even if your sub expires.

The DLC powers are:

Fight for the Light - Hardlight [Green/Yellow Lantern power] (controller)
Lightning Strikes - Electricity (healer)
Battle for Earth - Earth (tank)
Origin Crisis - Quantum (controller)
Sons of Trigon - Celestial (healer)

There's also one weapon type locked behind a DLC pack (The Last Laugh - Shield).

If you want an idea of what else the DLC packs include check out the wiki: http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content

Thanks, Killthee. I appreciate the overview!

Killthee

so anyone playing the ps4 version? i went back and my old characters now have a _brt next to there names, why is that?
Did you buy the game near launch? During the server merge any inactive character that had a name that conflicted with another characters name got their original server designation appended to the end of their name. So any duplicate character on a server like The Killing Joke who lost rights to his name got "_tkj" added to the end of their name. I'm guessing you were on Birthright and didn't play enough hours to keep the name post server merge.

When they merged the servers they didn't have the Marketplace in place so they mailed everyone a naming token in game. Check your mail and see if you got anything. If you don't, I guess you could try your luck at contacting support for a free name change but it's been so long since the merge I'm guessing they'll just tell you to buy a name token from the Marketplace.

zulfate

Did you buy the game near launch? During the server merge any inactive character that had a name that conflicted with another characters name got their original server designation appended to the end of their name. So any duplicate character on a server like The Killing Joke who lost rights to his name got "_tkj" added to the end of their name. I'm guessing you were on Birthright and didn't play enough hours to keep the name post server merge.

When they merged the servers they didn't have the Marketplace in place so they mailed everyone a naming token in game. Check your mail and see if you got anything. If you don't, I guess you could try your luck at contacting support for a free name change but it's been so long since the merge I'm guessing they'll just tell you to buy a name token from the Marketplace.

Hey thanks a ton for this info. Yes i bought the game on the ps3 i wish that people who bought still had all the access that the original content had :/

Add me on psn guys: sulfate

Killthee

Any impressions of the ps4 version, still mean to download it. Any improvement on load times? Hows it handling
I played a little bit and came away a bit disappointed.

On the positive side:

• You don't have to wait around in the client while the game downloads like on the PS3, you can play something else while the system handles the download.
  • You can launch character create and finish the tutorial after the initial 13GB download.
  • The initial load to get to character select is faster since there's no longer an in game client that handles version check/patch downloads. After that the load times felt similar to PS3 digital install though. Maybe a tad faster, but nothing major.
  • The higher resolution and the higher res textures look really good and are really noticeable when looking at buildings or at the Superman statue in Centennial Park.
  • The frame rate felt a lot more consistent.

On the negative side:

• You need the full download (28GB's) to go outside the starter club/precinct. If you try to play an existing character you'll get a pop up with an ETA for the full download. You don't have to wait in game for it though, you can play something else or leave the system on standby and it'll silently dl in the background. Use Options -> Info on the game tile to check the download progress, it'll say Complete when it's done.
  • The level of detail switch was really bad on certain textures like trees. You have to get pretty close for it to change making it really noticeable.
  • Group UI and the character select screen were both buggy (a patch for those bugs is coming out today though).
  • The UI is still the same.
  • Holding Options for the quick start menu is crappy compared to the Start button on the DS3. Hopefully they switch to the touchpad when the new UI comes out.
  • Combat felt really iffy to me, but I think that's mostly a combination of the awful combat changes they made last year and the fact that I'm still getting used to the DS4.
  • They didn't bother restoring the amount of lines stored in the chat log to launch PS3 levels. It seems to be the same gimped amount of lines they introduced to the PS3 last year.
  • Settings weren't saving properly. A couple of times I had to readjust them after logging in cause it had forgotten the changes I had made. This is an old PS3 bug that I thought they had fixed a long time ago, but it seems to have popped back up for the PS4 launch.
  • I also experienced the PS3 voice chat volume bug (super loud v chat vol until you flick the slider in settings). I didn't play enough to figure out if it occurs every time you launch the game like it used to on PS3, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Overall it felt like they still have some kinks to work out, but I'm excited for the winter event and what they'll do to Metropolis with the next DLC.

Edgeward

I started this today and made it through the tutorial section. Liking it so far, gonna spend some more time with it. Hopefully it's easy to get into a group for a mission or solo-able at least for the early stuff

Killthee

what bothers me is that it is still locked at 30fps, wtf why?
Is that confirmed? It looked off to me, but I wasn't 100% sure it was running at 30fps... It didn't look like 60 to me, but it did feel much more consistent than PS3.

oktarb

Been trying this on the PS4. Seems a solid 'OK'. I like flying around and and finding the clue and resources. I imagine there's a whole cult of super jump and speed fans but flying seems like the only choice to me.

Two things hold me back from really liking this game. First the power graphics are underwhelming. Maybe they get way better later but all my initial power are super meh. Second, all the button combos for your main weapon feels off. Hold, Hold, tap.

In the end I'm glad they have lasted this long and keep developing content but its built on a dated MMO template. If you can overl0ok or embrace that aspect then there's a lot of fun to be had.

Been trying this on the PS4. Seems a solid 'OK'. I like flying around and and finding the clue and resources. I imagine there's a whole cult of super jump and speed fans but flying seems like the only choice to me.

Two things hold me back from really liking this game. First the power graphics are underwhelming. Maybe they get way better later but all my initial power are super meh. Second, all the button combos for your main weapon feels off. Hold, Hold, tap.

In the end I'm glad they have lasted this long and keep developing content but its built on a dated MMO template. If you can overl0ok or embrace that aspect then there's a lot of fun to be had.

I am a member of that super speed cult :p

Super speed has some nice benefits-- it's great in PvP and has a few of the more useful movement mode powers.

Some of the graphics in later content are great. The Fortress of Solitude raids are particularly lovely. The recent Gotham Wastelands zone (a nightmare version of Gotham taken over by Trigon) looks fantastic too. Which power are you using? Some powers look much, much better than others. Also, different weapons have different combo types. You may find one that has a different feel that you like better.

Top Bottom