• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Ashodin

Just started this up again myself, really enjoying the Earth powers and the shield weapon type. Hell of a lot of fun with the combat, I keep forgetting how different this game is.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just got the most absurd e-mail telling me I'm forced to make some account at some website I never heard of if I want to continue playing DCUO. I need to make an account and link it to my DCUO account if I want to keep my current characters.

ProSiebenSat.1 is a German network if I'm not mistaken. at least, I know ProSieben is a German tv channel, I had no idea they were an(appearantly) big player in de videogame industry.

How very random.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This game. This fucking game. Decided to try it out last week. i just bought all the DLC. i dont feel clean. i love it though. God do i love it.

Its the collectibles. Omg the collectibles. And how they use achievements.

edit: DLC is half off for the next few hours. It expires tonight! Also in the future they will not accept Station Cash for DLC so you better head to Walgreens now!

Tizoc

I just started dling this game to ps3's hdd, when I left it it was 3-4%. I won't be home til 9 hours later, but can I stop/pause the dowload and continue the next day or will that reset the download?

I just started dling this game to ps3's hdd, when I left it it was 3-4%. I won't be home til 9 hours later, but can I stop/pause the dowload and continue the next day or will that reset the download?

It saves your progress and resumes the next time you open it thankfully. Living in Australia I had to only download it off peak otherwise I would've been capped by the end of the first week of the month.

What's the differnce between playing PVE and PVP? CAN I switch between the two whenever I want?

In PvE, when in the open world, heroes and villains can't hurt each other (unless going into the d-pad menu and turning on a PvP flag). In PvP, whenever they're in the open world, heroes and villains can attack and kill one another. You can flip between the PvE and PvP phases by going to the Phase Shifter in the Watchtower or Hall of Doom.

Tizoc

In PvE, when in the open world, heroes and villains can't hurt each other (unless going into the d-pad menu and turning on a PvP flag). In PvP, whenever they're in the open world, heroes and villains can attack and kill one another. You can flip between the PvE and PvP phases by going to the Phase Shifter in the Watchtower or Hall of Doom.

Thanks for clearing it up mate!

Now as for the DLC, which of them have Larfleeze? Do any of the DLC feature obscure DC characters like Ambush Bug or Frankenstein?
...and is Aquaman in the main game or does he also have a DLC?

Kyari

I THINK Larfleeze is part of a holiday event going on right now.

The DLCs are generally quite mainstream for obvious sales related reasons, Ambush Bug just deals with the Vault stuff.

Aquaman does show up as part of the game's main storyline without the need for DLC, he's also chilling out on the Watchtower and was part of a recent Summer event that will probably cycle around again in the future.

FYI, any former Legendary subscribers that have let their memberships lapse get free Legendary access from now until the middle of January or so-- that means acces to DLCs, lockboxes, etc: http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/welcome-back/

Thanks for clearing it up mate!

Now as for the DLC, which of them have Larfleeze? Do any of the DLC feature obscure DC characters like Ambush Bug or Frankenstein?
...and is Aquaman in the main game or does he also have a DLC?

Sure thing.

Yes, Larfleeze is part of the holiday event which anyone can participate in. As said, Ambush bug has more of a cameo role in the game. No Frankenstein. Aquaman is in the main game. There's a story arc involving him and Mera toward the end of the leveling up to 30 process. There are also a couple of Aquaman style pieces-- an iconic belt and an Aquaman themed tank top from the vault.

DLC 5 features Dr. Fate, Faust, Tala and Swamp Thing

Obscure characters seem to pop up during seasonal events-- Halloween featured Klarion the Witch Boy and Summer featured Ocean Master and Aquaman. There were some rumblings of Star Sapphires showing up for Valentine's Day but nothing at all official or confirmed.

Anyone on this for the PS3?

I just started playing it on PS3 last night, but only had time to do the first two or so fights.

I have no idea what im doing lol Cant even find a place to save my progress/character. Do I even need to do that?

Havent played an online MMO before.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I just started playing it on PS3 last night, but only had time to do the first two or so fights.

I have no idea what im doing lol Cant even find a place to save my progress/character. Do I even need to do that?

Havent played an online MMO before.
Characters are saved server side. The only thing that is saved locally on your system is your settings.

Killthee

Excellent.

Played for about an hour today and loved it. Not sure why I'd need to pay any money to be honest, but I'm sure I'll find out later.
The free stuff is pretty much the tutorial for the game. You can pretty much solo most of the lv 1 -29 content. Once you reach lv 30 though, you'll need to group up for most of the endgame content (alerts, duos, bounties, & raids) and most of that is locked behind DLC packs.

The free stuff is pretty much the tutorial for the game. You can pretty much solo most of the lv 1 -29 content. Once you reach lv 30 though, you'll need to group up for most of the endgame content (alerts, duos, bounties, & raids) and most of that is locked behind DLC packs.

Like standard DLC or do I need to pay monthly to get that? I don't mind paying for DLC at all.

Killthee

Like standard DLC or do I need to pay monthly to get that? I don't mind paying for DLC at all.
You can either subscribe for $15 a month to unlock all the DLC packs during your sub period or you can purchase the DLC packs a la carte for $10 each. If you purchase them a la carte they're yours to keep for as long as the servers stay online and you'll get upgraded to "Premium", but you don't get the perks that come with the sub option (loyalty points [special currency you can use to purchase stuff that normally cost real cash; 500 points = $5 of real cash, but the vendor doesn't carry some stuff the real cash shop does such as DLC packs], unlimited promethium keys [special lootbox keys], unlimited in game cash).

I wouldn't worry too much about the DLC packs right now since like I said it's mostly endgame content, but if you dig the game you should consider the $30 for 3 months sub promo they're offering right now. The offer ends next week and the last time they offered it was during Fall 2011 so it probably won't be back for a good while.

Here's a link to the different DLC packs and a chart that shows what the sub option includes:

Thats awesome, thanks.

I just hit level 10, so a lot of stuff has opened up. I also checked out the official forum and it has some tips for beginners which really helped, but its a lot of stuff to take in. Might try that $30 sub actually, i'm really enjoying it.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have the Earth and Green Lantern DLC packs myself, I think the Green Lantern powers are awesome and very much worth the price.

Green Lantern powers + staff = beast mode. Stun lock to infinity.

I just read that I cant voice chat to my buddy who just downloaded it tonight without paying money.

WTF is that shit. Dammit :( Thats a real bummer actually.

Killthee

I just read that I cant voice chat to my buddy who just downloaded it tonight without paying money.

WTF is that shit. Dammit :( Thats a real bummer actually.
IIRC, it's only proximity voice chat that requires cash. Group voice chat and league voice if you both join a league made by someone else should be free. I think you should also be able to create a custom voice channel just for you two, but it's been a while since I've played so I'm sure if that still around or an option for free players.

Just got back into this after being gone for over a year.
Im pretty lost, and im even having trouble with some solo challenges
should I save up for the Batman armor(have the arms) or should I go ahead and buy some of Steel's which is much cheaper and I can probably buy 3 parts.

Ashodin

Just got back into this after being gone for over a year.
Im pretty lost, and im even having trouble with some solo challenges
should I save up for the Batman armor(have the arms) or should I go ahead and buy some of Steel's which is much cheaper and I can probably buy 3 parts.

I just saw they're going to add Quantum powers next. Awesome!

I just saw they're going to add Quantum powers next. Awesome!

As someone who's been playing on and off since launch, I can say that this next DLC looks massive, probably the largest to date. I'm excited for the new raids, storyline (alternate realities via time travel mucking with the past), new 4-man operations, powerset, first time PvE Legends play and Tier 5 gear. Good stuff!

This thread has me excited and looking to get back into the game.

Is there any benefits for those that purchased the game at launch? (Not that it'd affect my decision, but just curious)

Ashodin

As someone who's been playing on and off since launch, I can say that this next DLC looks massive, probably the largest to date. I'm excited for the new raids, storyline (alternate realities via time travel mucking with the past), new 4-man operations, powerset, first time PvE Legends play and Tier 5 gear. Good stuff!

I heard there's awesome solo story missions or something!

Killthee

This thread has me excited and looking to get back into the game.

Is there any benefits for those that purchased the game at launch? (Not that it'd affect my decision, but just curious)
Your account will automatically be upgraded to the second free tier which grants you some small perks over the base free tier (character slots, small inventory boost, etc..).

https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/

All the other launch perks require you to have done something/logged on during a specific time. Like the pre order/CE Batman skin for Legends, the useless trinkets they gave out via Facebook shortly after launch, the Batman mask they gave out to everyone who came back after PSN/SOE server hack that first summer post launch, the free GL DLC pack they gave out to everyone subbed when that launched, and the $200 lifetime PC sub which got discontinued shortly before the game went F2P.

I heard there's awesome solo story missions or something!
I'm actually really surprised it took them this long to launch PvE Legends.

Well I finally started learning to play well again after a while back.
started actually using my controller role,
Tier 3 armor is going to take me forever though.

Any idea what DLC's are the best? I only have Hand of Fate atm.

zaxor0

I just started playing this recently, I'm at level 12 now.

I added the gaf chat, not sure how to speak directly to it though and not sure if anyone else is even there. Im a villian on uspc pvp, name is panoptic

JChalmers

Neo Member
Wanting to get back into this after stopping after the first month of launch on PS3.

However I'm looking at getting it on PC will I be able to log in with my PSN details on the PC Version and would I get any bonuses?

Killthee

Wanting to get back into this after stopping after the first month of launch on PS3.

However I'm looking at getting it on PC will I be able to log in with my PSN details on the PC Version and would I get any bonuses?
The 2 versions don't connect in any way. PS3 uses PSN and the PC version uses SOE's Station i NA/ProSieben in EU.

strobogo

Banned
Installing this now on PC. I've never really played MMMOs. Gamepads work for this, right? All the DCAU stuff on Netflix has made me itch for some DC games. How was that Justice League game on PS2/Xbox?

JChalmers

Neo Member
Installing this now on PC. I've never really played MMMOs. Gamepads work for this, right? All the DCAU stuff on Netflix has made me itch for some DC games. How was that Justice League game on PS2/Xbox?

Yeah Gamepads work. Got my 360 controller in and it recognises it without a problem, even changes the game's buttons to map those of the controller.

Killthee

So i came back after a long while, and all my characters are gone :(
Weird. Characters only disappear when you downgrade accounts (Subbed -> Premium) cause of the character slot limits, but even when that happens you're given a choice of which characters you want to keep and the rest are just locked away till you upgrade or purchase a char slot.

Are you sure you're logging in with the same account?

Do we have many gaffers playing this? I'd really like people to play with as pugging things just isn't fun. I've been trying to gear up my first hero guy, a fire tank and it's been abysmal.

I usually play on villain side. I have a like 85CR 89SP elec healer. Couple of other alts there too.

You can find me on Byrrk Ignis, and Acruballista usually if you wanna add me to your friends list.

Halcyon

I was playing it on ps3. Had an ice tank. Hit the tier 4 content and soured me to the game.

Couldn't ever find good groups. Wasted too much time failing raids.

strobogo

Banned
Do we have many gaffers playing this? I'd really like people to play with as pugging things just isn't fun. I've been trying to gear up my first hero guy, a fire tank and it's been abysmal.

I usually play on villain side. I have a like 85CR 89SP elec healer. Couple of other alts there too.

You can find me on Byrrk Ignis, and Acruballista usually if you wanna add me to your friends list.

I'm playing it as Strobogo, but I don't really do anything with the MMMO part. Besides a few randomd saves/saving from other people, I haven't done anything with it. It really has no interest for me. I just want to play it like a solo game.

I'm super excited to hear about it. Hopefully they'll release the high res textures that got removed from the PC version before launch and use those in the PS4 version. Add 60FPS + no more pop in + no more memory crashes and I am back in day 1!

Nice :)

You've been missing some really great content!

Answer to the bolded, underlined, italicized part: no.
God, I feel like the only DCUO player on GAF.
You have summed up what would have taken me paragraphs to express in one sentence every frustration that I have with this board. I went to the community side, and this is barely anyone there. I mean there is absolutely "NO" community or talk about this game. Neogaf seems to love every game on Earth except this one. Hit me up via a message if you're on the US PS3 side.

P.S. Are you PC side or PS3 DarthWufei?

Well count another one of us. I'm a Lifetime PCer and have been playing the game since beta. With that said.. I'm very on and off about playing it, since well I have a lifetime to it. Though I am a bit on and off with it.

Answer to the bolded, underlined, italicized part: no.You have summed up what would have taken me paragraphs to express in one sentence every frustration that I have with this board. I went to the community side, and this is barely anyone there. I mean there is absolutely "NO" community or talk about this game. Neogaf seems to love every game on Earth except this one. Hit me up via a message if you're on the US PS3 side.

P.S. Are you PC side or PS3 DarthWufei?
Tell me about it. It's the only game I enjoy that has next no GAF following.

Anyway, I'm on the PC side, but with how easy it is to hit 30 and gear up. I could easily just get a character on PS3. I think I even have it installed. I'll have to check.

Well count another one of us. I'm a Lifetime PCer and have been playing the game since beta. With that said.. I'm very on and off about playing it, since well I have a lifetime to it. Though I am a bit on and off with it.
What side do you usually play on? Majority of my guys are villains, but I have one hero.

Top Bottom