• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Shouta

Got the download done (Japanese internet is stupid fast) and started a character the US PVE server. I was mostly testing things out as I haven't really decided on what setup I wanted to use. I do like the combat though, more action-y which works well. I'm a little disappointed there aren't any lightning powers though, I like Lightning >=(

Shouta said:
Got the download done (Japanese internet is stupid fast) and started a character the US PVE server. I was mostly testing things out as I haven't really decided on what setup I wanted to use. I do like the combat though, more action-y which works well. I'm a little disappointed there aren't any lightning powers though, I like Lightning >=(

Lightning is apparently the next expected power set for the next dlc.

Shouta

Mmm, LIGHTNING!

Kind of late right now, so I'll remake a character tomorrow.

Oh and what's the poiint of picking your initial outfit out if it's overwritten by the armor you wear?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
There is a "styles" tab that lets you lock your appearance to that of any equipment you have gained, including locking the appearance to that of your rolled char, individual slots can be set to lock/unlock and you select the appearance of a locked slot via a dropdown menu containing your options.

Hit ESC and it's the 2nd or 3rd button at the bottom, looks like a face mask IIRC.

SLV

Has anyone been able to log in at all to the EU servers for the past 2-3 days ?
Either its PVe or PVP, still after choosing the char, it just loads forever ...

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
SLV said:
Has anyone been able to log in at all to the EU servers for the past 2-3 days ?
Either its PVe or PVP, still after choosing the char, it just loads forever ...

I'm on the EU (PVP) and have had no trouble logging in.

(Char is Topper Harris if anyone wants to add me as a friend or whatever)

Dunlop

Can you hide the items you equip?

Spent 30 minutes making my dude only to have him look moronic now that I have items to increase my stats

edit: lol nvm. Question answered while I was writing this

SLV

Then what could be the issue ? As it gets stuck after choosing the character forever.
At the beggining there is some Download traffic but after about 10 seconds it stops completely and game is loading forever .

Dunlop

SLV said:
Then what could be the issue ? As it gets stuck after choosing the character forever.
At the beggining there is some Download traffic but after about 10 seconds it stops completely and game is loading forever .

I had that happen a few times on the first day (PS3), I just exited out and then relaunched

Dunlop said:
Can you hide the items you equip?

Spent 30 minutes making my dude only to have him look moronic now that I have items to increase my stats

Styles tab in the menu lets you lock down visual of item or change any item to look like any other item you have aquired. Once you pick up and equip an item, its visual appearance becomes part of your collection.

Collecting styles is also kind of a part of the game and there are feats attached to collecting styles

Billen

Banned
Tried downloading this for 24 hours. The download has died three times, the PS3 has also crashed three times, and I got it working once. Made a character, and when entering the game I got a message that the files were damaged.

After this it wants to download 500 mb again. My third attempt at that now aswell. Crashed once and hung once. Great stuff, this. :D

SLV said:
US i presume ??? I made 2 characters on EU, PVP on pc, and i still cant log in even now !
UGH, PVE is the same >.<
Yeah, US server. My villain's name is the same as my GAF name. I wasn't feeling particularly creative. :x

Roto13

Osiris said:
There is a "styles" tab that lets you lock your appearance to that of any equipment you have gained, including locking the appearance to that of your rolled char, individual slots can be set to lock/unlock and you select the appearance of a locked slot via a dropdown menu containing your options.

Hit ESC and it's the 2nd or 3rd button at the bottom, looks like a face mask IIRC.
I did not know this but I am very happy to learn it.

My character is a Ice Speedster named Zygmunt who is pretty cool and he seriously doesn't need a cape. Honestly, he's pretty much the reason I haven't given up yet.

SpecX

I hope this is worth the wait. I started downloading last night and it froze up on me. When I woke up this morning it was stuck at 30%, so I restarted it and hope it will be done when I get home.

Grinchy

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
I dunno. I think both look good. Neither looks spectacular. I do prefer playing with my 360 controller on pc though.
Yeah I've been using my PS3 controller and playing on my TV and it feels nice. The PS3 version had some really clunky framerates which I just don't see in the PC version. I'm seeing areas where things chug for a second, but overall the PC version feels so much more stable to me. The PS3 version was just completely janky like a car that barely runs.

Roto13 said:
I did not know this but I am very happy to learn it.

My character is a Ice Speedster named Zygmunt who is pretty cool and he seriously doesn't need a cape. Honestly, he's pretty much the reason I haven't given up yet.
You gotta have a cape!

Billen

Banned
So, yeah, completely impossible for us to download the game here. Oh, well, after 24 hours of continual tries it's time to go back to other games. :D

Is anyone on USPC able to log in right now? I keep getting stuck at "Waiting for Character List" and then eventually get disconnected. The game was working fine earlier today too.

Ezduo

Banned
Still can't play. Best I got was the character creation screen for about 10 minutes yesterday afternoon but I haven't gotten past the little login popup since. Do we have an estimate of how long this is going to be down?

.GqueB.

Banned
Osiris said:

I loved that feature in the game. I miss it every time I have to put a goddamn skirt on in Dark Souls so I wont get poison in Blightown. Takes away from the bad ass look Im going for.

I just poked around their forums to see what's up apparently they're implementing a hotfix which is why its down right now.

We are currently hotfixing both EU and US PC to correct an outstanding issue with queue positions. Players should now see a more accurate reflection of their place in the queue.

Although that just seems to for queueing problems. They had this to say about more general server issues

We will be reopening the server soon. Although we do not have a fix yet for this problem we have added additional code to try and catch and diagnose the problem. I apologize in advance if we crash again, but know that the information we get will help to make sure we solve this problem as quickly as possible.

That statement doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. It'll probably be a couple more days before the servers a completely stable. I'm guessing that they weren't completely prepared for the switch to F2P. Considering they wanted it out by October and it came Nov. 1, it was probably rushed.

ElRenoRaven

GoldenChicken said:
Is anyone on USPC able to log in right now? I keep getting stuck at "Waiting for Character List" and then eventually get disconnected. The game was working fine earlier today too.

Yup. I was playing around and switched characters. That was a big mistake because now For the last hour here it keeps getting stuck on waiting for character. So you're not alone.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
US PS3 is unplayable right now. This is like the megaserver launch only worse. Group members warping around, power cooldowns taking forever, rally not working in PvP. Ugh.

Dunlop

logged on, smooth as butter with a lot of people in the same zone..yay!
then was booted about 6 times and now server is down for maintenace

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that this is a game to revisit in a few weeks when ppl have left. 72 hours of these issues is a little sad

Toki767

Dunlop said:
logged on, smooth as butter with a lot of people in the same zone..yay!
then was booted about 6 times and now server is down for maintenace

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that this is a game to revisit in a few weeks when ppl have left. 72 hours of these issues is a little sad
Night time in the US seems to be when to play with little lag.

Dunlop

Toki767 said:
Night time in the US seems to be when to play with little lag.

I was lag free, kicked a couple of times. I was in the middle of the quest with the parasite guy and the minions I was supposed to bring him were walking into the wall lol so I could not continue.

Hopefully lets me reset the quest

Detox

Would this be a good game for a few buddies who have never played a MMO to just romp through as a co-op game?

Osiris

Satchwar said:
this game turns my router off

:lol?

You know, I could have sworn that this game did that to me too last night, mid-game it caused my cable modem to reboot & lose sync.

(Virgin SuperHub, which is a cable modem & wifi router in one box)

Dunlop

Detox said:
Would this be a good game for a few buddies who have never played a MMO to just romp through as a co-op game?

That was actually my plan for tonight, seems like it will be great for that once (if) they figure out the technical issues that have pretty much taken the game offline more than it has been on since going f2p

tim1138

After logging in for a bit this morning for work I'm back to not getting past the load/connection screens. Really hope they get the issues sorted out as I do enjoy the game and have already purchased the Fight for the Light DLC.

Dunlop

full/crashing servers on game launches is pretty much status quo

what scares me is 72 hours later offical posts like:
As folks have seen we have had some major issues today keeping our US Servers up and running. We are working very hard to correct the problem and we will be keeping the servers down until we can deploy new software to help us fix the issues. The response to our new Free to Play model has been overwhelming (literally) and we are very excited about all the new players in the game. We are working hard to make sure DC Universe Online is the best experience possible.

We will be reopening the server soon. Although we do not have a fix yet for this problem we have added additional code to try and catch and diagnose the problem. I apologize in advance if we crash again, but know that the information we get will help to make sure we solve this problem as quickly as possible.

Lorin Jameson

'DeadMeat'

Executive Producer, DC Universe Online.

there was another post with a mod that pretty much said they are "trying something"

supposed to be up in like 30 mins. If I was a legendary member I would be pretty pissed especially raiding guilds

edit: anyone know why I cant post on the Sony forums, I have a newly activated account. lets me log in but no PM or posting

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
evil solrac v3.0 said:
how can I make my PvE have PvP battles? or do I have to create a new character for that?
There's several ways. You can either turn your PvP flag on by pressing up on your D-Pad (F1 on a keyboard) or you can go to the Watchtower/Hall of Doom and enter the Phase Switcher to switch to the PvP phase. The Phase Switcher is a yellow platform in the center of both HQ's; near the Monitor Womb in the Watchtower/next to the mail kiosk in the Hall of Doom. If you stick to the PvE phase you'll probably have a hard time finding battles because the game fails to instruct how to turn the PvP flag and with all the new people they probably wont recognize your flag is on. If you switch over to the PvP phase you'll find lots of battles and probably some ganking if you're a villain.

There's also instance PvP in the On Duty menu you unlock as you level up. Arena is PvP maps with your own character while Legends is PvP maps played as iconic characters with unique powers (Batman themed characters are the only ones available right now). You might have a hard time getting into instance PvP if you're character is a Hero due to the huge faction imbalance.

A couple of basic PvP things the game fails to communicate properly is that the PvP works on a Rock (tank), Paper (healer), Scissors (troll) system and counters are really important for weapon attacks. Basically a person in a support role will get a buff when fighting against they're counter support role. You get no buff or debuff when fighting in the damage role. The counter system for weapon attacks is similar to the RPS for roles. Blocks will counter a interrupt/lunge, Block Breakers will counter a block, and Interrupts/lunge will counter a Block Breaker. It can get confusing but it becomes second nature once you unlock skill points and start playing around with the other weapon trees. Take a look at your current weapon tree and look for the text below the attacks name (block breaker/interrupt) to learn which combos you have to do in a situation.

Satchwar said:
this game turns my router off

:lol?
The in game voice chat sends out a lot of packets and doesn't play nice with old routers. Try turning off V chat as soon as you get in game.

Detox said:
Yes, the game plays similar to X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance in a MMO size world. Probably not wise to jump in right now with all the server issues the game is experiencing though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone know how to change the name of my character? I made a character when the game was released in jan and my character's name was REZ but now it is REZ_rdm

neojubei said:
Anyone know how to change the name of my character? I made a character when the game was released in jan and my character's name was REZ but now it is REZ_rdm
Did you receive any rename tokens in the mail or in your inventory?

The game is a little chaotic in the PS3 version, and is very difficult to remember all the combos and powers but... who cares?

Is a free game without subscription that is shipped in any brand new PS3. They should be advertising this, because is like having a bundle in any PS3. Is like Home, but with enemies and a better character editor.

Top Bottom