• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Jintor

One thing I really love about hero/villain MMOs is that most people have awesome ideas for Superhero/villain names (and shitty ones for fantasy heroes)

Of course, you're still going to see Th3 hum4n t0rch and deathly_killer666 running around, but still

Grinchy

Banned
Willy105 said:
So this game is still unplayable. I'll see again tomorrow then.
I had a legends match (PC) yesterday that went wrong. We were fighting and all of a sudden no one had any animations. It kinda lagged out, and then it showed my dead body next to other dead people and it gave 8 minutes as a respawn time. I laid there for about 3 of those minutes and said screw it. I never found too many issues with the grind up to level 30, but the grouping instances are where the game seemed to shit on itself.

Also, PC players on my server are the biggest gankers ever. There was plenty of ganking on No Man's Land when I was on PS3, but this PC server is ridiculous. Groups of level 30s literally just waiting at different corners of lvl 4 questing areas.

Just started a while ago, PC EU PVP server (The Emissary).

Only level 7 so far but I'm loving it.

Is there any penalty for losing all your HP and fleeing?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Mxrz said:
Kept playing my fire dude, and he improved a bit with more skills. Also didn't realize Flight had its own attacks and things. I want to add a 2nd weapon stye, but not sure what yet.

- Is 1Hand always axes? What style does the Nature/Werewolf mode use? That was fun as heck.

- Would taking a lot of iconic & movement powers lead you down the road of the gimp? Dive bombing stuff seems like it would be a hoot.

Level 12'ish. Think I'll try the scarecrow stuff in a bit. I went into pvp as Robin had no idea what I was doing so I just button smashed. Apparently the game thought I did well.
No, weapons have their own styles too. 1 handed has axes, swords, chokutos, daggers, Scarecrow's cleaver (rare drop), etc... and they keep adding more styles as they release new content. Here's a couple of the different styles:

BnOs5l.jpg
F2r7a.jpg

UWvdc.jpg
1ylGp.jpg

Try going to the Broker located at your faction HQ and view the listings, if you press Square/X on a 360 controller you can preview all the different styles in the Broker.

Nature Wolf form uses a modified Brawling weapon set I believe.

The top half of the iconic powers are pretty much useless. The Hard Light shield is good if your power set doesn't have it's own shield and Neo Venom Boost is good for DPS but everything else is pretty weak. The bottom half on the other hand is pretty much necessary to spend at least 2 points to max out your role. They're all innate stat boost that will help you out without wasting a slot on your loadout. Movement powers use skill points and the only cap for skill points is the amount of feats in the game (100 feat points = 1 skill point) and the amount of time you're willing to waste grinding feats. Get your movement upgrade as soon as you hit lv 9 (Rocket Assisted Glide for Acrobatics, Supersonic for Flight, and Speed Force for SS). The resistance/power recovery innate moves are also good moves to dump skill points in after you finish your first weapon tree and some of the actual movement powers are really good (SS's Speed Drain is a must if you're a Controller). If you don't like a move you can always respec at the respec machine in the Watchtower (it's in the hallway connecting the Meta wing to the Tech wing). Try to avoid using the respec machine back to back though, the cost will keep rising until it hits somewhere ~2k and then it'll reset to 500. Waiting 24 hours will also reset the cost.

OneMoreQuestion said:
Just started a while ago, PC EU PVP server (The Emissary).

Only level 7 so far but I'm loving it.

Is there any penalty for losing all your HP and fleeing?
No, but each time you die by a NPC attack your gear losses its durability by about 10 points. When it gets down to the 20's you have to repair it if you want to use it. You can repair at any time by visiting a vendor, but the less points your gear has the more expensive it is to repair. It shouldn't really be an issue until you hit lv 30. You change your gear so much during the lv 1 - 30 missions that by the time you need to repair something you've already exchanged it for a better stat item.

Dunlop

damn I thought it was related to being busy last night, but I can no longer get in on my character.

I get stuck on the loading screen after the character select, but unlike other times when that happed I get weird background music starting at about the time my would have logged in I even logged out properly last night ; (

Toki767

Anyone else having trouble beating Cyborg? Whoever's bright idea it was for him to be able to heal himself needs to be tortured.

spk

Is there any way to change my color scheme/costume once I've created my character? I'm getting tired of it even with the mods.

Where do I learn weapon proficiencies? How do I respec (am I able to change my power from say Ice to Fire)?

Akkad

Banned
spk said:
Is there any way to change my color scheme/costume once I've created my character? I'm getting tired of it even with the mods.

Where do I learn weapon proficiencies? How do I respec (am I able to change my power from say Ice to Fire)?

Yeah, you can change colors in the second option in the menu (forgot the name), at the top there are two tabs Style and Color. You can respec at the Watchtower for 500 money.

anybody unable to add friends on usps3? All of my original friends are gone and it won't let me add anybody back or new.

Also yay it let me warp to hq so I'm not stuck infinitely falling.

Killthee

xKilltheMx said:
anybody unable to add friends on usps3? All of my original friends are gone and it won't let me add anybody back or new.

Also yay it let me warp to hq so I'm not stuck infinitely falling.
The League/Friends server might have crashed. It crashed frequently when the US PS3 megaserver launched along with the text chat/voice chat/mail servers and when it did you couldn't use your friends/league list or communicate in game. Don't worry about it, it should be back next time the server crashes and they have to reset them.

gotee12

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. It's really cool. You start like normal and can make a character that is inspired by Green Lantern or Sinestro. Then of course you can pick your style like Martial Arts, Brawler, etc just like any other character. Then you go through the starting area like normal and end up in the areas like normal based off who your mentor is.

It's really cool because your powers etc have that Green lantern style. LIke giant claws, boxing gloves, Apache attack choppers, giant machine guns, etc. It's really freaking fun.
Are you not able to "deputize" your current toon with GL content? Do you have to create a new character to get access to the content?

Killthee

gotee12 said:
Are you not able to "deputize" your current toon with GL content? Do you have to create a new character to get access to the content?
Not completely sure, but from what I read on the forums only people who were subscribers when the content was released got Light power respec tokens. People who purchased the content now that the game is F2P didn't get the tokens.

The alerts open up to all your characters at lv 30 regardless of their powerset if you have purchased the DLC/are a current subscriber.

gotee12

gotee12 said:
To answer my own question...

I bought the GL DLC and I was given an item in my inventory. It's a *shock* GL ring that allows me to deputize up to two toons. I applied it to my current toon and it gave the warning that "you'll never go back to being un-Lanternized". It then allowed for a skill/powers respec of my toon with all the points I'd collected so far.

According to my inventory, the ring only has two uses. Can you only have two Lanterns per account? You don't have to buy more "rings" at $11 a pop do you?

Killthee

gotee12 said:

I bought the GL DLC and I was given an item in my inventory. It's a *shock* GL ring that allows me to deputize up to two toons. I applied it to my current toon and it gave the warning that "you'll never go back to being un-Lanternized". It then allowed for a complete respec of my toon with all the points I'd collected so far.

According to my inventory, the ring only has two uses. Can you only have two Lanterns per account? You don't have to buy more "rings" at $11 a pop do you?
I guess you do get the respec tokens. You can have more than 2 Light power characters, but the only way to switch an existing character over to Light is by using those tokens. Not sure if they fixed the glitch yet, but it used to be you could get 2 tokens for every character you had by claiming the item separately on each character.

spk

gotee12 said:

I bought the GL DLC and I was given an item in my inventory. It's a *shock* GL ring that allows me to deputize up to two toons. I applied it to my current toon and it gave the warning that "you'll never go back to being un-Lanternized". It then allowed for a skill/powers respec of my toon with all the points I'd collected so far.

Would it give you the option when creating a new character?

gotee12

Killthee said:
I guess you do get the respec tokens. You can have more than 2 Light power characters, but the only way to switch an existing character over to Light is by using those tokens. Not sure if they fixed the glitch yet, but it used to be you could get 2 tokens for every character you had by claiming the item separately on each character.
Ok, so the tokens allow for current characters to become Lanterns but I can create as many new characters as I have slots and make them lanterns from the get go. I'm cool with that.

Toki767

I could really use some tips on beating Cyborg. I swear that's the only early part of the game I ever have trouble on.

Killthee

Toki767 said:
I could really use some tips on beating Cyborg. I swear that's the only early part of the game I ever have trouble on.
Do another mission or race, lv up, and then go back to beat him or just group up. You don't have to beat him alone.

gotee12 said:
Yeah, so if anyone is wondering if becoming a reserve Lantern is worth the $11, it is. It sooo is.
3AQmK.gif

can't agree more. Using lantern powers is awesome.

I don't even like the green lantern character and this power pack has been more than worth it for me. Anybody hesitant like I was, go ahead and grab it.

Now that the servers are more stable I have to say I'm really enjoying the game. The combat is a nice change of pace from WoW. My guys name is Bandage Specter on USPC/Hero/PvE feel free to add me. I have a couple of newb questions. Are the people with purple names villans (or opposite faction)? Is there any way to target players and inspect them?

GoldenChicken said:
I have a couple of newb questions. Are the people with purple names villans (or opposite faction)? Is there any way to target players and inspect them?
Yes, a purple icon on the minimap or purple name means that the player is on the opposing faction.

I'm not sure about inspecting as I've never tried doing it.

gotee12

GoldenChicken said:
Now that the servers are more stable I have to say I'm really enjoying the game. The combat is a nice change of pace from WoW. My guys name is Bandage Specter on USPC/Hero/PvE feel free to add me. I have a couple of newb questions. Are the people with purple names villans (or opposite faction)? Is there any way to target players and inspect them?
Opposite sides (if you're a hero then purples are villains and vice versa). Also if you hit f4 and select "nearby" you can select other players near to you and check out what they have equipped.

Killthee

GoldenChicken said:
They're opposite faction members with their PvP flag off, they'll become red and you'll be able to target them if they turn their flag on. If you switch over to the PvP phase every opposite faction members will automatically be red and you'll be able to target them.

You can inspect people by pressing left on the d-pad/F4 -> Nearby -> Player name -> Inspect.

DC_scr_UI_Social_Nearby.jpg

What's the orange bar under my health and mana? The instruction booklet says it's a "supercharge" meter, but it doesn't expand on that at all.

Wallach

Professor Beef said:
What's the orange bar under my health and mana? The instruction booklet says it's a "supercharge" meter, but it doesn't expand on that at all.

Think of it like a super meter from a fighting game. You build it up and store it by beating on dudes, and it stores until you log off (don't remember if you lose your supercharge on death, sorry). Certain powers use up the supercharge meter, with some powers using more supercharge than others. Note that there's a lot of weapon combos though that gain new properties while you have a full supercharge meter, so there's a trade-off to using it on those high-power moves.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
So I just purchased the green lantern dlc and noticed I had 1000 points in my account. I think this is my old EQ account from years ago. Does everyone get free points or was I just lucky?

Roto13

I know you can change the screen size but it ends up cutting off a bunch of stuff. I didn't notice a way to change just the fonts, but I guess I'll take another look the next time I try (and fail) to play.
tim1138 said:
The font is pretty tiny on a HDTV too, that's my only real complaint
There's a blue box in the lower left corner I'm assuming is for text chat and possibly information about what's going on around you, but I can't really tell because it's just a blue square with some yellow lines in it to me. :p

Killthee

Roto13 said:
I know you can change the screen size but it ends up cutting off a bunch of stuff. I didn't notice a way to change just the fonts, but I guess I'll take another look the next time I try (and fail) to play.
There's a blue box in the lower left corner I'm assuming is for text chat and possibly information about what's going on around you, but I can't really tell because it's just a blue square with some yellow lines in it to me. :p
There's an option for font size in. I think it only applies to the chat box (the blue square) so check the chat settings for it.

Are there really only like 4 servers? These queue times are ridiculous, I want to try the game out but good lord.

Also anyone else download it from Steam and when they finally get into a game it just sits on a load screen forever?

So not cool, especially when I just waited 20mins to get into the game from the queue.

wwm0nkey

Angelus Errare said:
Are there really only like 4 servers? These queue times are ridiculous, I want to try the game out but good lord.

Also anyone else download it from Steam and when they finally get into a game it just sits on a load screen forever?

So not cool, especially when I just waited 20mins to get into the game from the queue.
Betting with the recent flood of people they can afford a few more servers now.

Angelus Errare said:

There were multiple servers before but populations were way too small so they merged them all together. Then they went free, and now they need the space again.

Unicorn

I'm in game, but it's at the "Connecting" splash screen, saying connecting to Login server. Took a long time just to get to this. I was able to play for about an hour last night. Is it really this bad because it's Saturday?

....aaaaand disconnected.

Top Bottom