• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

DangerousDave said:
The game is a little chaotic in the PS3 version, and is very difficult to remember all the combos and powers but... who cares?

Is a free game without subscription that is shipped in any brand new PS3. They should be advertising this, because is like having a bundle in any PS3. Is like Home, but with enemies and a better character editor.
Apparently there's going to be a TV/online advertising campaign coming up soon either this month or next.

Ohwiseone

Okay, I am up running Char name is TheWhiteProtector (Don't ask, I was tired sounded cool at the time).

Anyway if anyone wants to add me on PSN to play name on there is:Ohwiseone

Stupid question, is there a gaf league or something set up.

Ohwiseone said:
Stupid question, is there a gaf league or something set up.
Whenever SOE puts my account back to Legendary I might make a league on both sides for GAFers if they want. That way people can find each other easier and get groups together to do content.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Seems I am on a premium account. got my character's name changed!

44Casl.jpg

QsuM7l.jpg

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
There's too much neon lycra running around Metropolis at the mo, so I give you... Topper Harris, Metro's sharpest dressed Tank :D

1z23znp.jpg

gotee12

Finally made it through the tutorial on my second try. (Game crashed the first time around)

Question, there's not a lot of stuff in the pay shop. Do items get swapped out on a regular basis? Also, what's the Green Lantern content like? That's an awesome looking ring you get with it, it's just not $11 worth of awesome by itself...

ElRenoRaven

gotee12 said:
Finally made it through the tutorial on my second try. (Game crashed the first time around)

Question, there's not a lot of stuff in the pay shop. Do items get swapped out on a regular basis? Also, what's the Green Lantern content like? That's an awesome looking ring you get with it, it's just not $11 worth of awesome by itself...

So far I'm not sure how much content is with it. I do know that the GL powers are pretty damn cool. So far they feel the most superhero like to me.

Akkad

Banned
They really fucked up with this relaunch, didn't they? How are people supposed to check out the game and even pay a dime for anything when it doesn't even run? Why didn't they beta test this before launching it again. Also, how hard is it to program a server status option in the fucking launcher.

gotee12

PsychoRaven said:
So far I'm not sure how much content is with it. I do know that the GL powers are pretty damn cool. So far they feel the most superhero like to me.
So the GL DLC comes with an additional power set that's usable outside of the GL DLC specific missions? That makes the price point a little more palatable.

Law Paw, the furry archer of the long arm of the law, is tearing up Metropolis at the current moment.

He does not wear pants.
They chafe.

gotee12

Akkad said:
They really fucked up with this relaunch, didn't they? How are people supposed to check out the game and even pay a dime for anything when it doesn't even run? Why didn't they beta test this before launching it again.
From what I can tell they are only allowing X number of players in at a time. Probably trying to keep the servers from lagging too much. I finally made it in tonight and it was much smoother than last night yet my buddy never even made it through character creation (even after four attempts).

Like you said, now is when they should be most concerned about a first impression. If folks can't get in within the first few days, then there is a good chance that they are going to give up on it. That's no way to bring in cash to a f2p...

ElRenoRaven

gotee12 said:
So the GL DLC comes with an additional power set that's usable outside of the GL DLC specific missions? That makes the price point a little more palatable.

Yup. It's really cool. You start like normal and can make a character that is inspired by Green Lantern or Sinestro. Then of course you can pick your style like Martial Arts, Brawler, etc just like any other character. Then you go through the starting area like normal and end up in the areas like normal based off who your mentor is.

It's really cool because your powers etc have that Green lantern style. LIke giant claws, boxing gloves, Apache attack choppers, giant machine guns, etc. It's really freaking fun.

Akkad said:
They really fucked up with this relaunch, didn't they? How are people supposed to check out the game and even pay a dime for anything when it doesn't even run? Why didn't they beta test this before launching it again. Also, how hard is it to program a server status option in the fucking launcher.

They didn't even really push it either, it was a real quite relaunch. The real relaunch is still to come with actual marketing and such.

BattleMonkey said:
They didn't even really push it either, it was a real quite relaunch. The real relaunch is still to come with actual marketing and such.

Steam "pushed" it. That was about it, really, though.

Akkad

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

I can't imagine what will happen when they start advertising it.

PsychoRaven said:
Total destruction. They've screwed this up so badly it isn't funny.

Not much to screw up, it's free, people will play. Almost all these launches of free games lately have met with major server outages and waits as people jam the servers. They got stuff to fix before they go with a marketing push with the TV ads.

They just better not be having issues going on for weeks without any fixes.

ElRenoRaven

Good news hopefully.

I am sorry for the quick taking down of the USPC Server tonight. We have hit amazing player levels the last couple of days and have fixed a number of issues that were impacting server stability at very high populations. We quickly identified the issue and will be deploying out a fix and bringing the servers back up as quickly as possible. The good news is that we identified a major bug that had been causing us a lot of issues the last couple of days. Though I know this is difficult on you the players, your patience and continued support have allowed us to make great strides in our goal to create the most unique experience in massive online gaming.

Lorin Jameson

"DeadMeat"

Executive Producer, DC Universe Online

SOE has done a terrific job at giving first impressions to all of the newcomers. =/

Seriously though guys, once this shit is actually cleared up and running fine- this game is great.

tim1138

Square Triangle said:
SOE has done a terrific job at giving first impressions to all of the newcomers. =/

Seriously though guys, once this shit is actually cleared up and running fine- this game is great.

Even with the log in issues I'm loving it, but I also enjoyed the beta--just enough to pay a monthly fee.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Toki767 said:
Seems like I just get stuck on the loading screen after being done in the queue.

I don't even get there. Can't connect at all. I want to make my character.

Dunlop

I had 800+ login queue but it cleared up in less than a minute.

Game ran flawlessly all night, damn fun once it works :p

free game is gonig to end up getting me to pick up a wireless headset with mike

Hit level 10 having all my powers in assualt thinking that controller was a dual spec..didn't realize I shared the points between the 2. Time to google how to respec :p

Dunlop, villian USPS3

edit: lol, logged back in to respec and tehre is 3k+ in the queue..I'm going to bed

Ohwiseone

Apperently I screwed up when I picked hero lol.

I only played the very very very very start of the tutorial, but I do like the combat.. I will play more tomorrow before I head out to the football game tomorrow night.

I think that the combat is more fun, What I played I like that it was not Turn-based.

So far, I like this more than City of Heroes (which I played for 3 years)

So every time login my main hero I'm just falling through the bottom of he world and can't logout or go to my map. Any vets know a fix?

I had a blast jumping into this last night. Me and some other n00bs spent like 2 hours trying to do that Scarecrow event and finally won, lol. Really is a blast to play.

xKilltheMx said:
So every time login my main hero I'm just falling through the bottom of he world and can't logout or go to my map. Any vets know a fix?

Warp Rally Point when it does that, see if that helps. It's on your map menu.

Dunlop

DarthWufei said:
I had a blast jumping into this last night. Me and some other n00bs spent like 2 hours trying to do that Scarecrow event and finally won, lol. Really is a blast to play.

Beat it my first run with a group that knew wht they were doing..of course I didnt and left the dungeon before the loot dropped

pro tip: wait until the loot drops

requeued again and fell on our faces hard, same for the are 51. Constantly have groups of 4 dps with no tank or healer lol

Toki767

Can a hero help out a villain with a quest and vice versa? Friend is having trouble with finishing a quest on his villain character and I'd like to help him with my hero.

Toki767 said:
Can a hero help out a villain with a quest and vice versa? Friend is having trouble with finishing a quest on his villain character and I'd like to help him with my hero.

Nope.

MikeTyson said:
Which is the better more stable version? I don't want to waste my time or bandwidth downloading poop.

More stable is PC.

Mxrz

Kept playing my fire dude, and he improved a bit with more skills. Also didn't realize Flight had its own attacks and things. I want to add a 2nd weapon stye, but not sure what yet.

- Is 1Hand always axes? What style does the Nature/Werewolf mode use? That was fun as heck.

- Would taking a lot of iconic & movement powers lead you down the road of the gimp? Dive bombing stuff seems like it would be a hoot.

Level 12'ish. Think I'll try the scarecrow stuff in a bit. I went into pvp as Robin had no idea what I was doing so I just button smashed. Apparently the game thought I did well.

JWong

Banned
Soooo yeah. The client is always crashing when it hits the character select screen.

No way I'm going to download this again.

bloodforge said:
So how are the hard light powers, been thinking about buying it. Worth it?

Feels completely different then the other powers to me. I've used gadget, sorcery, and... Another lol.

Worth it to me. Feels like an action game more than before.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Now that I can log in I don't feel like creating a character.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

Top Bottom