• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

I got the platinum trophy in Dead Nation tonight. Must say that the co-op works really well. Granted, it's sometimes difficult to tell who is who, but besides that it's loads of fun. I played with a friend in Europe, with a one bar connection. I was like, oh gosh, this is going to be a total lagfest. Turns out, it wasn't laggy at all, if it was I didn't notice it. So, now I not only love this game's single player, I also love the co-op. One of these days, I will tackle Undead all the way through. From what little I did play of Undead, I'm afraid, very afraid.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I finished the campaign now, and the last level was a marvel in every way. It feels so good ripping through hundreds of those rotting bastards rushing at you, so cathartic. Also, fully powered Shocker truly is a thing of beauty, just as its description says.

Did everyone notice the fat Santa Claus zombie/bombie near the end of the level? I think he runs out of an ambulance car. Of course, there was also an unmistakably obvious SSDHD billboard thrown in there as well. There's couple more easter eggs, I noticed maybe two stores that had their name signs only partially lit to reveal a funny message.

Raist

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Wtf it keeps freezing at the load screen. -_-

Did you get the patch? Fixes a bug with the friend list. If you have 100 friends the game will freeze, but the patch fixes that.

There's something fishy going on with the UK in the leaderboards. They were like 12th or something but for the past couple of days the cycle %age has been growing extremely fast, despite what seems to be a "normal" amount of zombies killed. UK is now 2nd and about to take over Poland. WTF is going on.

Lord Error said:
Of course, there was also an unmistakably obvious SSDHD billboard thrown in there as well.

Yeah, there's one at the end of level 9 as well. There's a couple of "hidden" areas with loads of easy kills as well, notably on levels 4 and 10.

No45

So is there any hint that a patch might be release, addressing some of the online issues? I want to get back into this, but no voice chat and some issues with matchmaking (if I understand correctly) are putting me off diving back in for the co-op. :(

RustyO

Just beat it on Grim tonight. :D

Rifle & Flamethrower combo all the way... added the shocker (L09) and slicer (L10) and still had a spare half million in loose change.

Couple of trophy questions:

a) King of Looters : Does it need to be done in a single campaign? Or does it stack? (i.e. can I do each mission seperately? As I got the one level loot achievement on the graveyard level)

b) Morbidly Curious : If I did a Morbid co-op run, would that trigger both this and the co-op achivement for both players? (Thinking of you, ijed)

Raist

Banned
RustyO said:
Just beat it on Grim tonight. :D

Rifle & Flamethrower combo all the way... added the shocker (L09) and slicer (L10) and still had a spare half million in loose change.

Couple of trophy questions:

a) King of Looters : Does it need to be done in a single campaign? Or does it stack? (i.e. can I do each mission seperately? As I got the one level loot achievement on the graveyard level)

b) Morbidly Curious : If I did a Morbid co-op run, would that trigger both this and the co-op achivement for both players? (Thinking of you, ijed)

a) I don't know for sure, but I reaaaally doubt you have to do that in one campaign run. That would be a nightmare.

b) Yes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, have they patched in mid-level saving?

No?

Worst $15 purchase last year, then.

Edit: And I can't give two fucks about the leaderboard. So don't be throwing that at me.

Hypereides

Gold Member
TheSeks said:

No?

Edit: And I can't give two fucks about the leaderboard. So don't be throwing that at me.

dealwithitUncharted3VictorSullivan.gif

It seriously isnt that bad... its just a question of getting adjusted to it.

It would be too easy if you could save at checkpoints imo.

acevans2

Twice now, I've played through the majority of a level and then gotten stuck, dying repeatedly for upwards of half an hour.

It really makes me not want to go back to the game when I have to go back through the whole level just to *attempt* to get beyond that spot again.

This is a great game, the checkpoints really stop me from loving it.

-Amon-

acevans2 said:
Twice now, I've played through the majority of a level and then gotten stuck, dying repeatedly for upwards of half an hour.

It really makes me not want to go back to the game when I have to go back through the whole level just to *attempt* to get beyond that spot again.

Save points for me are fine as they are. Having sparse checkpoints force me to conserve ammo and objects before that hard place i can't pass. I like to force myself to save claymores and molotovs thinking that they'll be so much needed for that moment.

Having checkpoints just before difficult situations could force you in a situation where you're short on ammo and supplies and can't don anything about it, making the situation much harder...

It forces you to think ahead, i like that.

meppi

The more I play this game, the more I wish that for their next game Housemarque would develop a Ghostbusters game using this engine.

It feels like this would be a perfect fit.

If anyone from Housemarque reads this, please, please, please give this some thought. :)

depward

acevans2 said:

Same. Fine game but I don't play it nearly as often as I want to because I only have a limited amount of game time... and I don't want to play through half or 2 / 3s of a level and then have to quit and do it all over again.

TheSeks said:

No?

I think maybe they should have added a casual normal mode where you can save anywhere you want/ transfer weapons and stuff etc and a hardcore points mode for the people who like leaderboards.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
-Amon- said:
Save points for me are fine as they are. Having sparse checkpoints force me to conserve ammo and objects before that hard place i can't pass. I like to force myself to save claymores and molotovs thinking that they'll be so much needed for that moment.

Having checkpoints just before difficult situations could force you in a situation where you're short on ammo and supplies and can't don anything about it, making the situation much harder...

It forces you to think ahead, i like that.

No, you don't understand. If you reach a checkpoint in the middle of a level, shut off your system, re-start game, you will be at the beginning of the level.

So im in a score battle with a few of my buddies. We have all beaten the singleplayer game on normal. If I move onto the next difficulty, will that help my score get bigger to beat my buddy. Or am I supposed to replay normal but just do better this time to beat my friends score?

TrAcEr_x90 said:
So im in a score battle with a few of my buddies. We have all beaten the singleplayer game on normal. If I move onto the next difficulty, will that help my score get bigger to beat my buddy. Or am I supposed to replay normal but just do better this time to beat my friends score?
Yes, it doubles for every difficulty level.
so,
Grim = 2x normal
Morbid = 4x normal
Undead = 8x normal

TheSeks said:

No?

I find it very interesting how the style of the game has set expectations. If you're any good, a game of vanilla Super Stardust HD requires not 30 minutes like Dead Nation, but literally hours without a save point. Yet I don't recall much bitching about that. I guess the fact that you can lose progress is what makes the difference.

NinjaCodah said:
Yes, it doubles for every difficulty level.
so,
Grim = 2x normal
Morbid = 4x normal
Undead = 8x normal

only thing that sucks, is that im more of a play a level and then save and stop. Of course that means my multiplier goes away. my buddy can game for hours on end, so he keeps his mutliplier going right? cuz he never stops until half way through the campaign?

acevans2 said:

Same. I have an eleven month old and non-stop gaming isn't an option. Sure, with most games, pause is the answer and it works great here. But Other games have quick save options, this one doesn't. So when the wife and I want to watch a movie or go out, I lose a good chunk of difficult/tedious gameplay that i have to redo. I hate that. I'd love to boot it up and play some more but I can't until i see this thread mention a patch coming.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Dunno if this was posted but

i ran against one of those annoying glitches on top of
near the end, killed everything but the barricade wont go down, cant go on.

netguy503

Don't know if this was posted but the Playstation Plus discount ends after tomorrow's store publish. So it's still a good deal to get this game now (as well as your last chance), even if the game still needs patches, as it will save you money on a platinum trophy game release.

Raist

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
only thing that sucks, is that im more of a play a level and then save and stop. Of course that means my multiplier goes away. my buddy can game for hours on end, so he keeps his mutliplier going right? cuz he never stops until half way through the campaign?

Multiplier doesn't go away if you quit after finishing a mission in campaign mode. It's only reset if you quit in the middle of a level.

Grisby

TheSeks said:

No?

I finished the game a couple weeks ago and I have to agree. Its a competent game but the darkness of the levels, and the fact that they all start to run together until the last two or so, sucks. Checkpoints and a newgame plus of some sort are complaints for me as well.

There was fun to be had but I feel a bit shortchanged on the $15 tag. Kudos to everyone really enjoying it though.

Wowbagger

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Dunno if this was posted but

i ran against one of those annoying glitches on top of
near the end, killed everything but the barricade wont go down, cant go on.

Did you check the ramp leading to the area? I had a fat zombie spawn there. Luckily, I was able to lure it near enough to nade or knife (can't remember).

-Amon-

alr1ghtstart said:
No, you don't understand. If you reach a checkpoint in the middle of a level, shut off your system, re-start game, you will be at the beginning of the level.

Don't like that really.

I'd like a difficulty where you have normal difficulty enemies, but one single life from start to end.

That would make things really tense lol

RustyO

-Amon- said:
I'd like a difficulty where you have normal difficulty enemies, but one single life from start to end.

That would make things really tense lol

Could be interesting...

so long as no disappearing health packs, health packs dropping off the side of tower blocks or behind fences, and not too many cheap rushes... :lol

I managed to finish Grim solo and only died about 5 times, and three of those were on the final stage... all spots where you got mobbed by hordes plus sspecial zombies.

JoeFenix

Finaly managed to pull off a decent run of Undead and got first place!

I died once on stage 9 where those 3 cutters show up, it's a real shame because I had a 3000x multiplier at that point, would have potentialy gotten 9 billion points if I kept it...

Oh well, I highly suggest people check out this game, it's really good stuff!

spats

Listening to PSNation podcast and a guy from Housemarque just said that there would be downloadable content for Dead Nation in the future. I don't think they had announced anything earlier, and I certainly wasn't expecting anything beyond the voice chat patch. I hope they add some variety to the environments.

Hypereides

Gold Member
spats said:
Listening to PSNation podcast and a guy from Housemarque just said that there would be downloadable content for Dead Nation in the future. I don't think they had announced anything earlier, and I certainly wasn't expecting anything beyond the voice chat patch. I hope they add some variety to the environments.

More levels! I hope this means SP/CO-OP DLC. I'd like to see the extended story with different characters... it was kinda expected if you noticed that DN already has prepared for more trophy content if you press square on the trophy list.

And for chrissake give me some bosses!

Raist

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
man, this game comes alive when you get into score battles with friends. hahaha. when the F is this patch comin out???

Well yeah that's basically the whole point of the game :p

Also congrats to JoeFenix for the highest score in campaign mode. 7 billion points in Undead mode, that's kinda insane.

Decado

spats said:
That's great news. Need a sequel, too!

I was really into it. After getting through the end of level graveyard arena BS I have thought about trying to play through it to the conclusion but every time I shrug it off because I don't want to get stuck and get frustrated and have to do it over again. One of these days I'm going to have to find myself with nothing better to do all night and no wife around and just do it... but I was really hoping for a checkpoint save patch by now.

I have also been waiting on the co-op voice patch for what seems like ages now before I attempt co-op with somebody. Seriously, they announced they were adding that literally a few days after it was released what happened to that.

Glad they are going to be doing DLC, they better release the voice chat patch beforehand tho or there's going to be a riot!

spats

Gen X said:
I just bought this game and don't even know what it's about. :lol

A neat and well produced arcade-style game where you shoot thousands of zombies.

By the way, did anyone watch the 5 minute Dead Nation making of trailer on PSN? It's brilliant. Housemarque receives a huge box that has a zombie in it, who then bites one of the devs. Then they use the zombie to help finish the game.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
spats said:
A neat and well produced arcade-style game where you shoot thousands of zombies.

All I knew was it was about zombies.

Colour me impressed, honestly, I can't remember the last time I bought a game without knowing any review scores or seeing any trailers/advertising. Can see I will have lots of fun with this trying to get all the trophies.

How stable is the online internationally? Oh and lol@the scoreboards and infection stats for countries, pretty cool. I wonder if the updating is real time.

spats

Gen X said:

Colour me impressed, honestly, I can't remember the last time I bought a game without knowing any review scores or seeing any trailers/advertising. Can see I will have lots of fun with this trying to get all the trophies.

How stable is the online internationally? Oh and lol@the scoreboards and infection stats for countries, pretty cool. I wonder if the updating is real time.

I played online with a US gaffer some time ago (I'm from Finland) and it was perfectly functional. I have a slow connection, but the only problem was a millisecond lag in my controls. Easy to host/join other players too.

edit:

klee123 said:
SO what's the best weapon in this game? Any tips perhaps?

The shocker maxed out. It's almost a bit overpowered, even though it runs out of ammo very quickly.

Hypereides

Gold Member
klee123 said:
SO what's the best weapon in this game? Any tips perhaps?

I'd say the blade thrower... pop a flare, watch the massive line of zombies instant-die in splitseconds. :D

Gen X said:

Its really good for your sanity. I usually buy games by the cover that intrigues me, with minimal amount of knowledge about it. This industry/community is so obsessed with scores which most of the time are irrelevant.

Anyway on topic, good to hear youre enjoying it. :D

Gotta go back and finish of the platinum on this.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
So after a couple of days I still haven't ventured into the 2nd level because I keep restarting the first to try and beat it without dying/lasting as long as I can without getting hit. What I've noticed is that the amount of coin crates drop seems random, or does it change based on performance/time taken? Quite a few times I've had around 45k before the first weapons truck, other times I struggle to get 25k.

Top Bottom