• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Loona

why did they make them visible? did people just give up because they figured MLP had it on lock?

I don't know about their exact reasoning, but I know I needed a tie-breaker between 2 games I was inclined to support (CvS2 and DoA5) - knowing their relative standings let me focus on one of them and donate right away, which is better than staying undecided and not donating.
(as much as I like CvS2 in concept, I'm kinda relieved it didn't get much support, I'm sad the game degenerated into A-groove custom combos and roll cancelling, which makes for a boring spectacle)

Skullgirls is currently the one to beat.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ain't going to happen. You know the FGC will rail against "Tits or Ass 5" and put in half-baked fighter because it's 2D and TITS/Sexy Schoolteacher instead.

Loona

Ain't going to happen. You know the FGC will rail against "Tits or Ass 5" and put in half-baked fighter because it's 2D and TITS/Sexy Schoolteacher instead.

I'd be more worried if they were rallying around the sort-of-playable FCG in-joke that is Divekick - that's really really boring to watch.

Anyway, since I once asked about a Mila/Bass screenshot with matching outfits here and got no results, I'm giving it a shot at FSD with an extra dose of donation motivation: http://freestepdodge.com/threads/will-donate-extra-for-an-avatar-worthy-screenshot.2302/

half-baked fighter
You think Skullgirls is a "half-baked fighter" and DOA5 is a "solid, competent fighter?" I think someone may have misinformed you on the definitions of those words. My DOA hate aside, as deserved as it is, DOA5 deserves the spot the least even out of just the 3D fighters.

Loona

At the end of the day, both games are kinda derivative (SG from Capcom's stuff, DoA from VF) while doing some things of their own, and both are getting patched.
Thing is, EVO already covers most Capcom series that SG draws from, so DoA would add something more distinct to this year's lineup.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Told you.

grap3 said:
You think Skullgirls is a "half-baked fighter" and DOA5 is a "solid, competent fighter?" I think someone may have misinformed you on the definitions of those words. My DOA hate aside, as deserved as it is, DOA5 deserves the spot the least even out of just the 3D fighters.

Nope. Skullgirls didn't have a move list on launch and took like... 3-6 months to include it. Sorry, that's not "competent" in any sense of the word.

DOA5 has issues, but 1) it included the basics most fighters need on launch (tutorial/training mode, move list/move data, online play in 2012-2013) and 2) didn't take six months to do 1.

And as much as I love MvC2 over (U)MvC3, Skullgirls doesn't remind me ANYTHING of it. I really wish people would stop comparing it to that.

Thing is, EVO already covers most Capcom series that SG draws from, so DoA would add something more distinct to this year's lineup.

Evo -> SRK kiddies -> not surprising.

Only way a paradigm shift is going to happen is if Capcom screws up Street 5 as much as they screwed up Street vs Juggleken. Of course, some people are into defending Capcom religously when it comes to fighting games ("So what is Marvel 3 came out nine months ago and doesn't include spectator and could be patched/fixed or Capcom gives you a discount for Ultimate? NEW CHARACTERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!") so fat chance of that ever happening.

DR2K

Banned
Beach stage comes out next week 1/22 for PS3/360(Free). First set of Bikini's next week as well, different from the ones in the CE version of DOA5+.

Nope. Skullgirls didn't have a move list on launch and took like... 3-6 months to include it. Sorry, that's not "competent" in any sense of the word.

DOA5 has issues, but 1) it included the basics most fighters need on launch (tutorial/training mode, move list/move data, online play in 2012-2013) and 2) didn't take six months to do
Your single complaint about Skullgirls is that it didn't include a move list on day one? It had a tutorial mode, one that's much in-depth and explanatory than DOA's "do three kicks" crap. Skullgirls's tutorials were one of its biggest selling points.

You seem to also think that Skullgirls doesn't have online play when it had GGPO based net play day one. It's some of the best net code this generation. Again, one of its biggest selling points. DOA5 on the other hand is the exact opposite and has some of the worst net code for a fighter this generation.

Besides that, DOA5 has the single biggest flaw: its gameplay. It's a terrible fighting game and the entire FGC rips on the game for good reason and it's all deserved. The developers couldn't fix the flaws from the last game despite getting personal input from incredibly knowledgable players. You have someone telling you exactly what's wrong and how to fix it and you still can't do it? If that's not the definition of incompetence then I don't know what is. All I think about when I pop this game in is "This needs to be fixed, that needs to be fixed, etc." Maybe DOA6 will be decent...

Your single complaint about Skullgirls is that it didn't include a move list on day one? It had a tutorial mode, one that's much in-depth and explanatory than DOA's "do three kicks" crap. Skullgirls's tutorials were one of its biggest selling points.

You seem to also think that Skullgirls doesn't have online play when it had GGPO based net play day one. It's some of the best net code this generation. Again, one of its biggest selling points. DOA5 on the other hand is the exact opposite and has some of the worst net code for a fighter this generation.

Besides that, DOA5 has the single biggest flaw: its gameplay. It's a terrible fighting game and the entire FGC rips on the game for good reason and it's all deserved. The developers couldn't fix the flaws from the last game despite getting personal input from incredibly knowledgable players. You have someone telling you exactly what's wrong and how to fix it and you still can't do it? If that's not the definition of incompetence then I don't know what is. All I think about when I pop this game in is "This needs to be fixed, that needs to be fixed, etc." Maybe DOA6 will be decent...
THE worst.

Game's fun, though. Not a hardcore player, so I'm not seeing the gameplay flaws. It's the only fighting game I've played this gen (outside of the Soul Calibur games) that really makes every character feel like a viable option to main as.

Squire

Banned
THE worst.

Game's fun, though. Not a hardcore player, so I'm not seeing the gameplay flaws. It's the only fighting game I've played this gen (outside of the Soul Calibur games) that really makes every character feel like a viable option to main as.

Being a hardcore player is irrelevant though. I think DOA5 is (usually) fun, but it's definitely low on the totem pole of fighters released this generation.

Being a hardcore player is irrelevant though. I think DOA5 is (usually) fun, but it's definitely low on the totem pole of fighters released this generation.
I don't see how - it's the most fluid fighting game out there. An unparalleled sense of control in the 3D space.

But I don't play fighting games for the fluff single player modes, so the barebones features don't bother me.

So pumped for DOA5+ :-D

Squire

Banned
I don't see how - it's the most fluid fighting game out there. An unparalleled sense of control in the 3D space.

But I don't play fighting games for the fluff single player modes, so the barebones features don't bother me.

I am, too! :D And the game is fluid, but a good fighting game is more than fluidity. Especially in this age. The net code is atrocious, the AI is psychotic, there's stuttering, there's balancing issues; there are a lot issues present that need fixing.

And I think the new patch will address a lot of that stuff and the Vita port will be great to start. But no one should be up on a high horse over DOA5 (not that you are, LL, I'm just speaking to Seks' posts.) Even if you cut the genre in half and restrict the argument to 3D fighters only, DOA5 still isn't in the top five.

I am, too! :D And the game is fluid, but a good fighting game is more than fluidity. Especially in this age. The net code is atrocious, the AI is psychotic, there's stuttering, there's balancing issues; there are a lot issues present that need fixing.

And I think the new patch will address a lot of that stuff and the Vita port will be great to start. But no one should be up on a high horse over DOA5 (not that you are, LL, I'm just speaking to Seks' posts.) Even if you cut the genre in half and restrict the argument to 3D fighters only, DOA5 still isn't in the top five.
Well, there has to be a reason why the game hasn't blown up (either critically among the community, or commercially among the general populace) despite its early warm reception and psuedo-"comeback" status. So I know it must be all sorts of busted - there's just nothing else out there that matches my tastes quite as well.

Glad the update is addressing some issues though. The custom BGM options and free stages sound like someone is taking notes from Harada :p

Skilletor

Because people want to be rewarded for outsmarting their opponent. DoA offers multiple opportunities for my opponent to get out of making a mistake.

It's still way too close to DoA4, even with all of the changes. DoA has never been popular amongst the tournament-going community. DoA5 had an opportunity to fix this, and looked like it was going to with the E3 build, but they went back on many of the good changes they made.

I have lots of fun with it, but it's nothing I'd ever play seriously.

And yes, the netcode is fucking horrid.

Edit: Patch notes

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/us/patch/0116b.html

Fixed voice playback at the start of a match because it was actually playing back 15f later than the start.
Tripled crouching speed against high attacks.
Changed standing/crouching switch frame during normal status, when guarding, etc. from 5⇒3F.
However, you can guard against at low attack in 1F, and crouch against a high attack in 2F.
Fixed a bug just after guard recovery, etc. that caused a frame where the player was unable to perform a hold and could only guard.
The one frame in which a player could guard but not hold has been changed to allow both guards and holds.
Changed default health to 270.
Change affects Arcade, Time Attack, Survival and other modes as well.
Removed Counter adjustments after ceiling throws. Even Hi Counter follow up attacks act like normal hits.
Changed to allow a strike if throws overlap after rising/tech rolling.
Changed normal sidestep properties for all characters to 0(20)5.
Improved control input to make it harder for derivative followup moves to be triggered accidentally from sidestep.
Improved control input to make it harder to trigger taunts accidentally when pressing up/down when sidestep controls are set to 8 or 2H+P+K.
Fixed an issue that retained a hold input performed while the player could not hold until the unholdable interval had ended. The input buffer for Critical Holds was also changed to 12F, just like strikes. This improves play by reducing unintended moves triggered by inputs during unholdable periods.
Made H Cancel work better when used during a status other than strike. For example, it is harder when inputting 7PHK to mistakenly trigger 7PK.
Fixed reach for down throws being too long when the opponent's head was close.
Adjusted the back rising motion for Mila, Rig and VF characters. This corrects the weird speed that they could move back with.
The latter half of stuns from moves like Helena's 3KK are fixed to be invulnerable just like other of the same kinds of stuns.
Changed stuns from mid and low rising kicks on normal hit to small stuns.
Changed all back-turned stuns that do not down the player to end with the player facing front.
Added a ground shake effect to make sit-down stuns easier to spot.
All drop (vertical) kicks cannot be tech rolled.
Fixed a bug that made stuns after certain characters' moves the same as a Critical Finish stun.
Fixed a bug when an opponent was already in some stuns which cannot be tech rolled and a followup attack was made, then the un-tech-rollable status was maintained.
Lengthened the Critical Burst stun 5F, making followup attacks easier.
Changed behavior when near a wall to cause a Critical Burst even if the opponent uses a Critical Hold.
Fixed an issue that displayed a red "CRITICAL STUN" during a Critical state from which a Critical Burst cannot be performed, for example after breaking an object after a Critical Burst.
Fixed some objects that would not turn transparent when covering a character.
Changed the way Danger Zone damage is calculated (except for Cliffhangers). Changed all Danger Zone damage from throws and holds from to 16%+4 to 20%.
Changed Slip Zones to only cause slipping on Counter Hit or higher.
When an opponent's throw or OH lands during the entrance or exit of a tag change, it is now treated as a Counter Hit.
Fixed an issue that added the combo adjustment when performing a tag throw after a juggle in Tag Mode.
Fixed an issue that added the combo adjustment when performing an air throw or down throw during a juggle in Tag Mode.

Also lots of character changes.

P+K, 3H+KKP, sidestep P: changed reaction on normal or Counter hit to sit-down stun. - Hayate

NICE buffs.

Ayane has a BT CB move now :D.

Double edit:
Ver.1.03 Update Details.

Release Dates:

PS3: January 22nd, 2013

Xbox 360: January 29th, 2013

Why one week later for XBL? :/

vic2020

Neo Member
Glad the update is addressing some issues though. The custom BGM options and free stages sound like someone is taking notes from Harada :p

what is this? Are they finally patching in the ability to add custom soundtracks on the ps3 version, or allowing the in game music to be toggled?

Because people want to be rewarded for outsmarting their opponent. DoA offers multiple opportunities for my opponent to get out of making a mistake.

It's still way too close to DoA4, even with all of the changes. DoA has never been popular amongst the tournament-going community. DoA5 had an opportunity to fix this, and looked like it was going to with the E3 build, but they went back on many of the good changes they made.

I have lots of fun with it, but it's nothing I'd ever play seriously.

And yes, the netcode is fucking horrid.

Edit: Patch notes

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/us/patch/0116b.html

Also lots of character changes.

P+K, 3H+KKP, sidestep P: changed reaction on normal or Counter hit to sit-down stun. - Hayate

NICE buffs.

Ayane has a BT CB move now :D.

Double edit:
Ver.1.03 Update Details.

Release Dates:

PS3: January 22nd, 2013

Xbox 360: January 29th, 2013

Why one week later for XBL? :/

*starts reading*

stance critical burst moves... i approve!

Tina said:
46T: fixed an issue that made it easy to unintentionally trigger J.O.Cyclone when performing the move from a crouching dash.

oh fuck you too Team Ninja

*continues reading*

Zack said:
Zack Beam (236H+P+K): added the attack attributes of a mid punch with 30 damage.
oh.. it's mid?

Bass said:
63214T・69874123T: changed damage from 66 to 62, now allow a guaranteed ground throw after the end.
Shenanigans!

Lisa said:
PK: removed wall blow back.
i don't know how to feel about this...

Mila said:
4K: changed disadvantage on normal hit from +2 to -6F, and disadvantage on guard from -3 to -6F.
WAT

Common said:
Changed default health to 270.
Change affects Arcade, Time Attack, Survival and other modes as well.
?!?

Skilletor

Wait...did they UP the default damage?

lol

Ouch at that Tina JOC nerf. I hope that doesn't make it too difficult to perform from a crouch dash.

I hope the change to wakeup kicks means no more attacks after the stun caused.

vg260

Gonna assume it's because of the MS cert process, but who knows.

The games on demand version was supposed to be coming out, and should have been out by now, so maybe it has to do with timing it to come out with it pre-patched. Just speculating.

Loona

The Mila nerfs are kinda baffling, even if I like how much they've address in general (I guess I have a reason to try Ranked now) - she didn't seem to be used that often, maybe her players just focused on those moves too much?...

Skilletor

The Mila nerfs are kinda baffling, even if I like how much they've address in general (I guess I have a reason to try Ranked now) - she didn't seem to be used that often, maybe her players just focused on those moves too much?...

If players focused on particular moves, it's probably because they were good.

I haven't had a chance to look over the notes very well, just peeked at a few characters.

DR2K

Banned
All the removed blow back means better combo oppertunities. All the Helena buffs, she's super safe now.

All these glorious changes!!

Dantis

All the removed blow back means better combo oppertunities. All the Helena buffs, she's super safe now.

All these glorious changes!!

Hey, you understand these things better than me. Reading that, it looks like Hayabusa has received a lot of buffs, is that right?

Because that's fucking madness.

Preposterous.

We're still bros though ~_^

S Link, reverse, etc. etc. :p

DR2K

Banned
Hey, you understand these things better than me. Reading that, it looks like Hayabusa has received a lot of buffs, is that right?

Because that's fucking madness.

S Link, reverse, etc. etc. :p

Yeah he has a faster jab, more offensive holds, and a little safer overall. Most of his changes were fixes than buffs or nerfs.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So about that update.

Hey, you can unlock stuff by playing matches online now! AWESOME!

Oh wait, they are restricting it to ranked matches. People tend to just play lobby matches. -_-

Squire

Banned
So about that update.

Hey, you can unlock stuff by playing matches online now! AWESOME!

Oh wait, they are restricting it to ranked matches. People tend to just play lobby matches. -_-

Yeah, but this gives people incentive to play Ranked now. For more than just... ranking.

And notice it's "play" not "win", so that's even better.

louie

Yeah, the wake-up kick and slippery surface change were two of my favourites. But other than that I don't see the logic in a lot of the changes. All-in-all they seem to have made the stronger even stronger, and the weak weaker.

Oh snap.

Unlock conditions for character costumes!

I'll have unlocked the Legendary costume with this update. Hopefully Alpha-152 as well.

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/us/patch/0116a.html

50 matches for Tina
100 for Christie
200 for Lisa

lololol
i ain't even mad...

*reads details*

Set the number of rounds for ranked matches at 3 rounds per match.
Changed so a player's selection in the Character Select screen will not be visible to the opponent.
Removed player stage selection from ranked matches, making all matches occur in randomly selected stages.
(The selection will use the default random filter.)
wow. they're actually making it decent.

Added the ability to save a replay after lobby matches.
yes!

Added an Exhibition Mode to the offline Versus Mode. Setting Exhibition Mode to on will unlock all characters, stages and most costumes. Some features will not be available in Exhibition Mode, such as unlocking trophies and saving fight records.
TOURNAMENT READY

Changed so COM opponents select DLC costumes randomly if DLC costumes have been downloaded.
the ballers will be happy i guess...

DR2K

Banned
I don't understand the changes at all. Especially Kokoro.

Kokoro was incredibly safe and high damaging in DOA5. They slightly nerfed that. On the flipside overall health was nerfed to 270(from 300), and it is now the standard health. So her damage nerfs aren't as bad.

When those new swimsuits are revealed, I hope I see something like Mirfak, Kir Royal or Porrima and none of those boring suits someones Gran would wear at the beach.
Also, Im mad a TN for giving Lisas suit out for free, when I spent hours trudging through tedious Survival mode :mad:

Top Bottom