• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2: Severed |OT| The Necro Gangbang Continues

TenshiOni said:
Just a guess but:

I always figured he was the Necromorph that attacked Lexine at the end since the images that flash near the end (when it's all Necro vision) include events that only McNeil saw IIRC. I guess he was somehow infected when he was pinned by the boss he fought in the chapter before.

Maybe he's cooped up in Gabe's space-shed mindlessly playing video games.

I still think it seems out there that Gabe and Lexine hooked up. Hope they explain how this came about.

Replicant

It makes me wonder though: if you're dead and turns into a Necro, do you still retain your mind but unable to control the body? As a result, you see your body hacking/slashing other people while your mind is trapped inside. Or has your brain been turned into something else entirely?

Grisby

I wish McNeil had been the MC of Severed.

But then I remembered the ending of Extraction. Guess you couldn't really have a
one handed MC

Yay more Dead Space! Although I made the mistake of watching the trailer - I have a bad feeling it may have spoiled some of the major set pieces. I mean it's not exactly like any of us are expecting this to be any more than 2-3hrs long is it?

Grisby said:

But then I remembered the ending of Extraction. Guess you couldn't really have a
one handed MC
He doesn't have to be like that. There's a character in that new Dead Space movie with a robotic arm or something.

Also, TenshiOni, I'm pretty sure the infection doesn't work like that.

aaachampions

Neo Member
Is there any information on how one will go about playing the dlc when it comes out? Will it just be a selectable option from the main menu?

Jigsaw

Banned
Guardian Bob said:
Just finished the game

where were the bosses?

there was this giant spider thing in the church,after the quick time event it was never shown again,lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Wallachia said:

heheh, not bad, not bad at all.

Replicant said:
It makes me wonder though: if you're dead and turns into a Necro, do you still retain your mind but unable to control the body? As a result, you see your body hacking/slashing other people while your mind is trapped inside. Or has your brain been turned into something else entirely?

This Joystiq article raises this issue - apparently the concept Visceral is going for is that these things are literally wearing your skin and body. But confusingly, they also say it's not an an alien creature, but a mutated human.

"It's not actually like an alien creature, it's a human, that then mutated into this," Gialdini says. "And they're dead, so we can't do a lot of screaming or anything like that. So, basically, you're looking at it as if something is inside your skin, wearing it, and then trying to move around in it. That's how I look at it. If something burst out from the inside, it's now kind of wearing you as a suit."

So my guess is that Necromorphs are alien genetic code that uses human tissue to express itself. Maybe. Or more likely he's just referring to the animation process and this has nothing to do with what Necromorphs actually are.

aaachampions said:
Is there any information on how one will go about playing the dlc when it comes out? Will it just be a selectable option from the main menu?
My guess is that it will be either in the "Extras" section, or it will appear as a new option under "New Game".

Crewnh said:
Also, TenshiOni, I'm pretty sure the infection doesn't work like that.
I know. It mostly happens via Infectors or necromorph DNA getting into your system somehow (see: Dead Space: Martyr infection outbreak). And if the Dead Space: Aftermath film is to be believed, signals from the Markers themselves might be able to cause the infection by transforming nearby corpses (unless I totally misunderstood that).

I guess I'm arguing it's possible that
whatever punctured McNeil at the end of Extraction somehow pumped some Necro DNA into him. Though, if that were the case, it should have happened much faster, yeah...

I guess it's possible the Necro at the end of Extraction was an illusion or simply one that snuck aboard their escape ship.

Maybe McNeil was taken in by EarthGov in order to make Markers for them? Like Stross and Isaac, McNeil was seeing the symbols of the Red Marker throughout Extraction if memory serves correctly.

TenshiOni said:
I know. It mostly happens via Infectors or necromorph DNA getting into your system somehow (see: Dead Space: Martyr infection outbreak). And if the Dead Space: Aftermath film is to be believed, signals from the Markers themselves might be able to cause the infection by transforming nearby corpses (unless I totally misunderstood that).

I guess I'm arguing it's possible that
whatever punctured McNeil at the end of Extraction somehow pumped some Necro DNA into him. Though, if that were the case, it should have happened much faster, yeah...

I guess it's possible the Necro at the end of Extraction was an illusion or simply one that snuck aboard their escape ship.

Maybe McNeil was taken in by EarthGov in order to make Markers for them? Like Stross and Isaac, McNeil was seeing the symbols of the Red Marker throughout Extraction if memory serves correctly.

That'd definitely be interesting. Perhaps he will show up in a future title, but in a degenerated state similar to Stross... though from what I've seen, he's more strong-willed than Stross was.

Gribbix

Grisby said:

one handed MC
Despite the focus on dismemberment, the loss of limbs does not appear to be quite as serious in the Dead Space universe.

Stallion Free said:
Shit pacing (critical in this genre), terrible bosses, no ability to replay segments of levels.

Not meaning to troll, but I have to agree. The Wii has a few great, great on-rails shooters (House of Dead 2 & 3 Returns, some other Sega games and the RE On-Rail shooters namely), and I have to say that Dead Space Extraction was not one of them. To me, the game was also shockingly short and light on content =/

Salmonax

Would love to partake, but I seem to be hopelessly stuck on one of the later chapters of the original game because the necromorphs never. stop. spawning. I'm sure I made some poor decisions upgrading my weapons or something. But I hate that DS2 gets so action-heavy.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
boo at no PC release. Guess I'll have to pass. Looks awesome too

Salmonax said:
Would love to partake, but I seem to be hopelessly stuck on one of the later chapters of the original game because the necromorphs never. stop. spawning. I'm sure I made some poor decisions upgrading my weapons or something. But I hate that DS2 gets so action-heavy.
If you're in a room where it feels like they keep spawning Necromorphs, just stasis and run. In pretty much every situation where you're getting overrun, you can just run to the next area and the Necros usually won't follow.

It's cheap and lame, I know...but it works if you're having troubles. Helps you conserve ammo and health packs.

Also, you could just respec all your weapons (and RIG?) if you feel like you made bad decisions. I highly recommend you focus on maximizing stasis. It makes the final few chapters much more manageable.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Salmonax said:

You can turn down the difficulty (or raise it at any point). I agree that the endgame can be practically insurmountable if you haven't sunk most of your nodes into
one or two weapons (spreading out nodes across all four weapons instead of focusing them on one or two is a recipe for frustration. I had to go back and respec my weapons to rededicate my nodes into just two weapons before I was able to finish the final battle in a reasonable amount of time).

seat

plagiarize said:
i wonder what people like you think level designers do with themselves when they've finished designing the levels, but the game is months away from being done.
Well, for a start, they could release these fantastic levels for free for those who actually bought the game. Or, as a trade-off, how about at a more reasonable price?

AwShucks said:
Hey look it's DLC that doesn't fit into the story of the actual game so it makes sense to release it as DLC.

Oh and it's only $7. It's not like the main game was 4-5 hours or some BS and this is a ripoff cost wise.
This DLC is only two chapters. Is that really worth seven bucks to you? That's really what it all boils down to. Even if it's great, I'll just wait for the inevitable sale.

The mechanics are the same as Dead Space 2, but the pacing is sped up. I know lots of people lost their minds when it was said that Dead Space 2 would have more action game moments, but Severed is all action game moments. You start with a Pulse Rifle, and pretty much every battle is made up of waves of Necromorphs coming at you and you mowing them down. It's fun, but it's definitely different.

It's more Dead Space 2. I loved the sequel, so getting new content to blast through is fine by me, and the fact that it feels fresh thanks to the pacing means I'll be kept on my toes. If you're a story whore like myself, I can't wait to see how the plot shakes down for Gabe and what fellow Dead Space Extraction character Lexine's role is in the game.

I worry about the value of the Severed. The DLC costs 560 Microsoft Points/$6.99, but it's just two chapters. Granted, it took me around 20 or 25 minutes to get through the first chapter, but that still doesn't seem like a ton of time. Workbenches and nodes are here, though, so there's probably some replay value if you feel like maxing out your weapons.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1152137p1.html

Ugh, I really really hope the waves of Necro's aren't as bad as they were during the final level.

Replicant

Destructoid - Hands-on with Dead Space 2: Severed (possible SPOILER!!!)

Scott Probst, producer on Dead Space 2, demoed the new content for me and told me that "Severed" is made up of about "50/50" new and old content. Visceral "wanted to play up the fact that [Gabriel] is going through similar areas because we're paying an ode to Isaac."

Scott continued by talking about the hospital level, where you'll get to hours after Isaac has made his way through. "A lot of things that took place in the hospital when you were playing as Isaac are now different or changed based on what Isaac did there. Even though it's a place you've seen before, it's not the same type of gameplay or same type of combat in many instances."

I can't believe I didn't notice this in the trailer but thanks to the better YouTube video (up in the OP now), I can see that
Lexine's last name is now Weller. Lexine Weller. Uh-oh. That doesn't sounds good for McNeill. Screencap of her name

Speedymanic said:
Ugh, I really really hope the waves of Necro's aren't as bad as they were during the final level.
I wanna see hardcore mode severed. I'd hate it to be just elevator and mine-ride scenarios. Just boxed in and they keep appearing and little shits shooting at you from far.

Although the last levels you were sopposed to just run past them and stasis everything that comes close.

Link069 said:
Um anyone having trouble finding out where the dlc is?

Check in extras?

Have you removed the title update?

Removal of the title update will cause the additional area(s) provided by the DLC to be unusable. If this is encountered, please connect to Xbox LIVE and re-download the latest update.

If you haven't, remove it and redownload. Hopefully that will prompt the game to recognise the DLC.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
It's under New Game. You'll see an option to start another game of DS2 and then a separate option to start Severed.

Played the first 5 minutes and then I had to go to work. For those of you who've played through Hardcore it does allow you to use the foam hand. I'm extremely tempted, though I know this will probably make it too easy. Still tempted. :D

luxarific said:
It's under New Game. You'll see an option to start another game of DS2 and then a separate option to start Severed.

Played the first 5 minutes and then I had to go to work. For those of you who've played through Hardcore it does allow you to use the foam hand. I'm extremely tempted, though I know this will probably make it too easy. Still tempted. :D

Sweet. Makes me doubly glad I did Hardcore before Zealot (which I still need to finish off). But I think 1st time through, play with the weapon set the game intended.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Also, adding new upgrade nodes to your rig in Severed no longer restores your health as it did in the main game. Not sure if this is something Severed limits, or if it's the new patch which I downloaded and applied before beginning the DLC.

luxarific said:
Also, adding new upgrade nodes to your rig in Severed no longer restores your health as it did in the main game. Not sure if this is something Severed limits, or if it's the new patch which I downloaded and applied before beginning the DLC.
Fuuuuuuuck thaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Next you'll tell me that upgrading your ammo capacity doesn't give you free ammunition :(

Dyno

luxarific said:

For a moment I raged but then a wicked smile played across my face. "No free health? Maybe no free ammo? Maybe in DS2 as well as Severed? Makes it harder!

The real Dead Space starts here...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BeeDog said:
More impressions, people! :(

Not for 12 hours from me, sadly. ;_; There's a nice little
nod to Aliens
at the beginning (I think):
you see a screen with the health bars of Gabe and his unit - they all start out green and then there's a lot of yelling and screaming and gunfire and nearly all of them dwindle down to red and then death/necromorphization. I'm pretty sure that's a reference to Aliens where the Lt. and Ripley and Paul Reiser are watching the bio readouts of the marine unit which is inside the facility as they are ambushed.
:D

todahawk

luxarific said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Can anyone confirm if that's the case for the main game, not just Severed?

Nemesis_

For those on Xbox 360, playing the game YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS WILL NOT UNLOCK.

Once EA submits the achievements to Microsoft and they appear on the website, you will be able to unlock them normally.

Some new shots:

7abe5a911592b7436ec182122187a9b8_lightbox.jpg

71ae96f653bf26e5e834eed34caf0063_lightbox.jpg

c2fa5ecd50e5b401abfb677a0f99f346_lightbox.jpg

925ff70fd3eb6abd0e8bd928f911bb1c_lightbox.jpg

luxarific

Nork unification denier
greenjerk said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Can anyone confirm if that's the case for the main game, not just Severed?

Now I'm doubting myself. Did I actually see the confirmation message you get when you apply nodes? I may have added the node and then just didn't confirm that I wanted to apply it, resulting in no rig upgrade and accompanying health restoration. I can't remember since I was rushing. ._. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong about this - I could very well be wrong.

Top Bottom