• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

AgentOtaku said:
It's just not smooth and feels overly erratic and spastic. Turning it all the way down doesn't really help...
It's part of the reason I refuse to finish Bioshock on PC as I can never get used to it.
Seriously, Bioshock plays best with a controller as the core game feels like it was designed around it ala Gears of War

But you can play Bioshock with a 360 controller, it even changes the game interface to be exactly like the 360 version. You have the best of both world!

Yep...you want DEAD SILENCE for this time of game .....not *whiiiiirrrrlllllllllllllll*" ...then again you can always wait for NXE

RockmanWhore said:
But you can play Bioshock with a 360 controller, it even changes the game interface to be exactly like the 360 version. You have the best of both world!

and I have!

...but as the kids on GAF know, I love the DS3 :D

PatzCU

seat said:
Damn! Mind changed again! Bad time for me to be tight on cash.

I would take the reviews with a grain of salt for this game. If you think you are going to like Dead Space given the setting, playstyle, and story, then go for it. From my experience, horror games almost always have mixed reviews. Inevitably some reviewer just can't be frightened no matter how scary the game and just attribute the entire experience to some cheap haunted house or something.

The majority of Dead Space reviews are confirming exactly what I'm looking forward to in the game. Scary setting and great gameplay mechanics. Can't go wrong with this one.

Shawsie64

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Yep...you want DEAD SILENCE for this time of game .....not *whiiiiirrrrlllllllllllllll*" ...then again you can always wait for NXE

and I have!

...but as the kids on GAF know, I love the DS3 :D

does the DS3 work alright witht he PC? does the vibration work? havent tried it yet..

Linkzg said:
It's just starting to sink in that audio is probably going to be really important to this game. I might need to see if I can get the PS3 instead of 360 tomorrow since my 360 is quite loud (not a problem for Saints Row 2).

Well also, some PS3 games have uncompressed audio because of the disc size, though I'm not sure multiplats do?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
chubigans said:
The reason many say the PS3 sound output is better is mainly

-DTS support on all EA games, which improves sound fidelity and cranks up the bass quite a bit, and
-Better 5-channel separation, in my opinion.

DTS doesn't crank up the bass. This misconception arises due to the fact that DTS sounds better from less compression over Dolby Digital and the fact that DTS usually is a few Db louder than DD normally.

Ideally, we should hope for a lossless, PCM soundtrack for this game.

DestinRL

We got a copy early at work, and I can't say much but I have pooped in my pants once........no I'm not going to lie to you guys at least twice. This game is awesome. I was excited for it, but I didn't expect it to be this good.

Yeah, I know I'm fanboying out a little bit.

dralla

Witchfinder General said:
DTS doesn't crank up the bass. This misconception arises due to the fact that DTS sounds better from less compression over Dolby Digital and the fact that DTS usually is a few Db louder than DD normally.

Ideally, we should hope for a lossless, PCM soundtrack for this game.

that's what I'm hoping for, it would be nice if reviewers would mention this stuff. I have a feeling it's DD though, just because it's multi

Grecco

Well ill be picking it up on 360 on wednesday. If the Tropical Storm doesnt make the roads impasable that is. I really want to play a Survival Horror game and i wasnt too interested in the new Silent Hill game. What type of sound does it have on 360?

Scarecrow

I bet it's been asked already, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers: Should I read the prequel comics before playing the game? I'm worried it'll give away too much of the backstory, as opposed to peicing it together myself, ala Bioshock.

Scarecrow said:
I bet it's been asked already, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers: Should I read the prequel comics before playing the game? I'm worried it'll give away too much of the backstory, as opposed to peicing it together myself, ala Bioshock.

Nobody really knows since we haven't played the game yet. It doesn't reveal all that much, and doesn't even mention the main character. Just introduces you to the world they've set up (which is quite cool) and gives somewhat of an idea of how things got so messed up.

DestinRL

WHOAguitarninja said:
Nobody really knows since we haven't played the game yet. It doesn't reveal all that much, and doesn't even mention the main character. Just introduces you to the world they've set up (which is quite cool) and gives somewhat of an idea of how things got so messed up.

You don't really need to read the prequel comics, or watch the DVD, they just help the experience.

Scarecrow

DestinRL said:
You don't really need to read the prequel comics, or watch the DVD, they just help the experience.
Yeah, but I'm worried that it could tell me something ahead of time that I might like to find out in game.

Fake Example: Say for instance doctor so and so on the space station is actually the one responsible for the monsters, instead of them being aliens. I think it'd be cooler to find that out in game as opposed to being told through a comic.

Scarecrow said:
Yeah, but I'm worried that it could tell me something ahead of time that I might like to find out in game.

Fake Example: Say for instance doctor so and so on the space station is actually the one responsible for the monsters, instead of them being aliens. I think it'd be cooler to find that out in game as opposed to being told through a comic.

I agree, I'mma beat the game then do the back story thing.

DestinRL

Scarecrow said:

Well I'm going to take a guess and say that the dvd is the 6 episodes that were released on PSN and the 360 marketplace.

I would also guess that the comic is just the same thing printed.

Shawsie64

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:
Ugh...the urge to run out and buy this tommorow is so strong.

Must hold out for PC version...

Stay strong with your PC brethren ;).

Is this being released digitally by any chance?

DestinRL said:
Well I'm going to take a guess and say that the dvd is the 6 episodes that were released on PSN and the 360 marketplace.

Do you mean the dvd/blu-ray that's coming out in a few weeks? That's actually an animated movie serving as a prequel to the game, as well. If you're not talking about that, then disregard this post!

sonicmj1

DestinRL said:

The 6 episodes on PSN and XBLM are animated versions of the comic.

The DVD is a separate animated feature set between the events of the comic and the events of the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DestinRL said:

I know the DVD is something else. It's an animated movie about what happened to the crew of the Ishimura. As for the comics, I don't know.

EDIT: Beaten by someone who knows more than I

To those who have it: Is it scary? And if so how would compare it scare wise with Condemned 2 if you've played that.

Going into Dead Space I'm just not expecting it to be scary for some reason. I'm just expecting a decent challenge.

DestinRL

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Do you mean the dvd/blu-ray that's coming out in a few weeks? That's actually an animated movie serving as a prequel to the game, as well. If you're not talking about that, then disregard this post!

I was just taking a guess.

i sure as fuck hope this game is "scarier" than condemned 2. probably the biggest letdown of the past 2 years for me. i know this isn't a thread to bitch about condemned but how could they take such an awesome concept and story from part 1 (well, the first 90% of part 1) and turn it into some bullshit alien sci fi thriller?

condemned 2 wasn't flat out garbage but it just wasn't what i wanted or what i was expecting from it.

p.s. condemned 2 wasn't scary in my opinion.... couple parts made me jump but the first one was actually scary

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Shawsie64 said:
Okay, listening to 1up FM is getting me mega hyped for this game!
Which one has the Dead Space talk, 10/13?

Well, in spite of the mouse lag scare, I went ahead and preordered the PC version with overnight shipping.

DestinRL

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i sure as fuck hope this game is "scarier" than condemned 2. probably the biggest letdown of the past 2 years for me. i know this isn't a thread to bitch about condemned but how could they take such an awesome concept and story from part 1 (well, the first 90% of part 1) and turn it into some bullshit alien sci fi thriller?

condemned 2 wasn't flat out garbage but it just wasn't what i wanted or what i was expecting from it.

p.s. condemned 2 wasn't scary in my opinion.... couple parts made me jump but the first one was actually scary

I just got to chapter 3, and I think it's pretty damn scary. I like it a lot actually. The weapon's are unique, curb stomping an enemy makes a satisfying squish, and the sounds just add to the overall experience.

Gigglepoo

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Yowzers. And yet, they still haven't reviewed SH: Homecoming :lol .

It's coming soon. Homecoming is being reviewed by the same guy who did Dead Space (Lark Anderson) so it's a little behind schedule.

Dartastic

Nikorasu said:
Oh fuck not again! Why do they do this shit. I didn't finish Bioshock for months because the mouse control was so aggravating. Someone refute this, please! I don't want to cancel my pre-order.

I thought the PC controls were fine based on my limited time with the game. I'm not an expert, but I didn't feel any lag at all. Besides, it's not a shooter in the sense that Bioshock is; the pacing is completely different. And as others said; if it doesn't feel right to you, just plug in a 360 pad.

permutated said:
So what's with the OXM review? Anyone know why they gave it a 6.5?

Because they're retarded.

Shawsie64

Banned
K.Jack said:
Which one has the Dead Space talk, 10/13?

Well, in spite of the mouse lag scare, I went ahead and preordered the PC version with overnight shipping.

Yeah 13th, talk briefly about it.. saying the audio and presentation is top notch and how he would have gave it a higher score than matt leonne (which was B+).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Shawsie64 said:
Yeah 13th, talk briefly about it.. saying the audio and presentation is top notch and how he would have gave it a higher score than matt leonne (which was B+).
Thnx, I got it, but had to stop it when I realized he was describing the opening sequence.

SumGamer

DestinRL said:
I just got to chapter 3, and I think it's pretty damn scary. I like it a lot actually. The weapon's are unique, curb stomping an enemy makes a satisfying squish, and the sounds just add to the overall experience.

Turn off the light in your room. Turn the sound up a bit louder than usual and you should get better experience.

P.S. Don't leave a glass of water near you.

avcables

Banned
KGKK said:
Damn 3 games come out tomorrow, Socom, Saints Row 2 and this. Don't know which one to get first.

You're not kidding. Backlog is about to bust.

Saints Row 2 should be coming in the mail in the next two days and I think I'll spring for Dead Space next. I've never been a huge fan of SOCOM but I think I'm going to give the new one a little more attention.

I wonder if this game will run decent on my pc, AMD 4200 with 2gigs of memory and an ATI 1800xt with 521meg ddr3.....im asking because the pc versions are usually less expensive.

Truant

the TMO said:
yes and yes: I need to know which one i must buy for sure ;)

Seriously, someone is claiming the PS3 version has worse particle effects or somebullshit, but that's probably a like. Get it for whatever platfor you prefer.

Top Bottom