• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Mdk7

I was totally hyped about this one until i read some reviews... I'll probably get it on day one anyway, maybe i'll import the PS3 version from the US...
If you guys confirm there are no differences between 360 and PS3, of course. :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mdk7 said:
I was totally hyped about this one until i read some reviews... I'll probably get it on day one anyway, maybe i'll import the PS3 version from the US...
If you guys confirm there are no differences between 360 and PS3, of course. :D
Nothing that should make you think twice about it.

linsivvi

Well I just finished chapter 1 (PS3 version) and I can say if the rest of the game remains this good, this is definitely among the best survival horrors out there. Some impressions below and I'm not going to bother with spoiler tags, so read at your own peril.

There's no installation required, mandatory or otherwise. It started with about 20 seconds of loading, then you watch the cutscene and a very smooth transition into game play. There's no loading within the game except in between chapters. Although you can say the elevators rides are the loading part, just like Mass Effect (though not as long).

It take a while getting used to the 3rd person view with the character standing a bit to the left, and the pop up menu that moves with your right stick. The 3d map is confusing and kinda useless, but one thing I like about the game is if you press the R3 button anytime during the game, it shows you a path to your next mission objective.

The gun play is pretty much like a standard 3rd person shooter, and there's not much to fault here. The atmosphere is where the game shines. The smart use of sound effects, shadow and lightning makes sure you always have to look around corner and at your back at all times. So far, the game gives me a very strong Alien vibe, both in terms of environment and plot. Though I must say the voice acting and script, while acceptable, ruins the atmosphere a little bit. I wish the 2 crew members would just shut up already.

The only problem I have with the game right now is once I switched to the DLC scorpion suit (given for free in my version of the game), I can't switch back to the old one. Hopefully I can do that in later chapters of the game.

Edit: The thread title should be changed to "Epic dismemberment", or something like that. :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
linsivvi said:
Well I just finished chapter 1 (PS3 version) and I can say if the rest of the game remains this good, this is definitely among the best survival horrors out there. Some impressions below and I'm not going to bother with spoiler tags, so read at your own peril.

There's no installation required, mandatory or otherwise. It started with about 20 seconds of loading, then you watch the cutscene and a very smooth transition into game play. There's no loading within the game except in between chapters. Although you can say the elevators rides are the loading part, just like Mass Effect (though not as long).

It take a while getting used to the 3rd person view with the character standing a bit to the left, and the pop up menu that moves with your right stick. The 3d map is confusing and kinda useless, but one thing I like about the game is if you press the R3 button anytime during the game, it shows you a path to your next mission objective.

The gun play is pretty much like a standard 3rd person shooter, and there's not much to fault here. The atmosphere is where the game shines. The smart use of sound effects, shadow and lightning makes sure you always have to look around corner and at your back at all times. So far, the game gives me a very strong Alien vibe, both in terms of environment and plot. Though I must say the voice acting and script, while acceptable, ruins the atmosphere a little bit. I wish the 2 crew members would just shut up already.

The only problem I have with the game right now is once I switched to the DLC scorpion suit (given for free in my version of the game), I can't switch back to the old one. Hopefully I can do that in later chapters of the game.

Edit: The thread title should be changed to "Epic dismemberment", or something like that. :D
THANK YOU!!!!! PS3 version should be no issue folks.

greenjerk said:
anybody see this out in retail yet? TRU, BB? It's still showing pre-order on TRU's site...
It may be in stores today.

AgentOtaku said:
page3_blog_entry521_1.jpg

I approve of your avatar :D

Great album. Too bad they're not around anymore. Who saw that coming?

Cheech

No, it's not going to be in stores today. Sorry guys. I called two Gamestops, and it's only just shipping today.

RavenFox

Banned
linsivvi said:

Oh shit its on now baby. Are you playing this with surround sound? If you are hows the love coming out of those speakers?:D

Cheech said:
No, it's not going to be in stores today. Sorry guys. I called two Gamestops, and it's only just shipping today.

That's too bad. Looks like my order from EBGames is out for delivery. I would love to play a bit today before the sun goes down, but chances are, it won't arrive until tonight anyway.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am definitely renting this first with the intent to buy. Going with the PS3 version (saving my X360 for Fable 2 and Gears 2) because I think my PS3 does a better job with my surround system compared to my X360.

if you have to wait until tomorrow from gamestop, then why not get at circuit city. they advertise available wed 2pm and u get a $10 gift voucher (same with saints row 2)

as an IGN insider i just wanted to share this with you all.

the 360 and PS3 versions tied in every area but presentation, where the PS3 took it by a nose due to being a second or two faster loading (with no install!).

overall they said it was a tie.

EA Redwood Shores has done one of the best jobs I've seen of making sure their game runs equally well on the 360 and PS3. The game looks great, sounds great, and plays great on both platforms. Neither version is missing a crucial feature, and EA has outdone most other major third party publishers by including Trophy support in the PS3 version. The game runs identically on both platforms, and controls equally as well on either controller. You'll be able to save yourself a few seconds when loading a saved game on the PS3 version, but this isn't something you'd notice unless you were actively timing it. Ultimately, the PS3 and 360 version of the game will deliver an identically entertaining and atmospheric experience.

garath

cleveridea said:
if you have to wait until tomorrow from gamestop, then why not get at circuit city. they advertise available wed 2pm and u get a $10 gift voucher (same with saints row 2)

Did not know that. Basically $10 off will seal it for me. Can get $20 off with the TRU deal but who knows when they'll have it in.

cleveridea said:

Circuit City is much further away.

(I take buses)

:(

linsivvi

RavenFox said:
Oh shit its on now baby. Are you playing this with surround sound? If you are hows the love coming out of those speakers?:D

No just with my stereo. Well I can't imagine how scary it would be playing with a surround sound system.

Just finished chapter 2. So far, so good, but there's something I don't like at all. When you die, there's about 10 seconds of loading time. Could be very annoying once you get to the harder difficulties.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay the intro is amazing but the girl's hair is like one solid sheet :lol

edit: OMG THIS IS SUPERB

it's scary in the middle of the day :lol

h3ro

Y2Kev said:
Okay the intro is amazing but the girl's hair is like one solid sheet :lol

edit: OMG THIS IS SUPERB

it's scary in the middle of the day :lol

What version did you has?

Draft

Tom Penny said:
So is the PC version going to be superior to the console versions?
Of course. Though it does look like this is another game suffering from a sloppy port, and probably will require a gamepad for full enjoyment.

Draft said:
Of course. Though it does look like this is another game suffering from a sloppy port, and probably will require a gamepad for full enjoyment.

Has anyone confirmed that the X360 gamepad will work with Dead Space? Is it a "Games for Windows" game?

Draft

Solideliquid said:
Has anyone confirmed that the X360 gamepad will work with Dead Space? Is it a "Games for Windows" game?
I mean, in non "Games for Windows" environments, the X360 pad is just any other USB game pad. So it will work like that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I only heard about this game the other day.

So, obviously it wasn't in my budget.

Is there a demo? Not sure If I'll like it after I get it...

bigswords

This game really has good atmosphere. I though SS2 and Bioshock was creepy, but this...ohh boy with no HUD to block your screen, this is really an immerse experience for me. Damn...this game is really awesome.

For the peeps who bought the PS3 version, does it have 7.1 audio? Man the audio in this game is really good...really good.

Y2Kev

Draft said:
Where'd you get it?
Ordered from EBgames.com, they shipped last night.

Finished chapter 1. I have only one complaint and it's the lack of a quick turn. Game buttfucks other games and then makes them make it a sandwich.

I don't even want to stop to offer my thoughts, but:
--Really scary, especially the beginning.
--Atmosphere out the ass. Unparalleled...matches Bioshock and exceeds it in terms of inventory management/holographic stuff.
--Graphics are unbelievable
--Sound and music are superb
--"guns" feel amazingly powerful, beautiful dismemberment effects, gore out the ass, awesome monster design
--Story seems really interesting so far, I can see this going a number of ways
--"Army of Two" Retard Arrow reappears to help tards like OXM find their way around without getting lost. Real Gamers™ never even need to use it.
--Basically no loading within each chapter (significant chunks of gameplay)
--Awesome character design

Negatives:
--Quick turn missing. Would be nice though.

360 game.

Y2Kev

OMG FLAMETHROWERRRRRRRR

They do some amazing "setpiece" design, but in a horror construct. Like you'll walk into a room and you'll see a dying human just banging his head against the wall...and you'll walk over to him and he'll just slump and die. Creepy as hell. They also do a lot with electrical circuits exploding, power going out, random sound effects, shadows, lighting changes, etc.

Draft

Y2Kev said:

Finished chapter 1. I have only one complaint and it's the lack of a quick turn. Game buttfucks other games and then makes them make it a sandwich.

--Atmosphere out the ass. Unparalleled...matches Bioshock and exceeds it in terms of inventory management/holographic stuff.
--"guns" feel amazingly powerful, beautiful dismemberment effects, gore out the ass, awesome monster design
--"Army of Two" Retard Arrow reappears to help tards like OXM find their way around without getting lost. Real Gamers™ never even need to use it.

Negatives:

360 game.
Oh my Goooooooooooood.

DEAD SPACE.

GOTY.

SO HYPED.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Y2Kev said:

Negatives:

360 game.

Jesus. This game is going to own me. I already had nightmares due to Silent Hill 5, but this sounds even more scary. Thanks for the impressions! Tomorrow can't get here soon enough!

Y2Kev

Remember the part in KOTOR2 (or maybe it was the original) where you had to spacewalk, and it was awesome to be out in space except the framerate was like 10 fps and the physics were shitty? Well Dead Space has the same feeling except the framerate is solid, the game is beautiful, and they add a really cool sound filter to distort things in vacuums. Also, if it wasn't damn cool enough, your air timer is displayed on the back of your suit in a hologram.

Holograms bitches. Welcome to next-gen.

Here we go Zero-G Puzzle!

I think the game is definitely more frightening than SH5. If you are frightened at all by darkness, enclosed spaces, or "boo" scares, wear a diaper.

Top Bottom