• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Y2Kev said:
Ordered from EBgames.com, they shipped last night.

Finished chapter 1. I have only one complaint and it's the lack of a quick turn. Game buttfucks other games and then makes them make it a sandwich.

I don't even want to stop to offer my thoughts, but:
--Really scary, especially the beginning.
--Atmosphere out the ass. Unparalleled...matches Bioshock and exceeds it in terms of inventory management/holographic stuff.
--Graphics are unbelievable
--Sound and music are superb
--"guns" feel amazingly powerful, beautiful dismemberment effects, gore out the ass, awesome monster design
--Story seems really interesting so far, I can see this going a number of ways
--"Army of Two" Retard Arrow reappears to help tards like OXM find their way around without getting lost. Real Gamers™ never even need to use it.
--Basically no loading within each chapter (significant chunks of gameplay)
--Awesome character design

Negatives:
--Quick turn missing. Would be nice though.

360 game.

tommmoorrrrrrrrrrrrowwwwwwwww

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, I was wrong-- in a vacuum, you can hear some stuff. Like Isaac's breathing. His heavy breathing. Oh my god so creepy :lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
beelzebozo said:
my life is stupid until i have this game in my hands
stupid and worthless

I'm a walking husk of a man today. The lights are too bright here at work, little noises that I wouldn't otherwise notice are bothering me greatly. Just now I went on an hour-long rant because of a fly fluttering its wings near my cubical. I can feel my will to live draining away at a faster and faster rate.

i.e. - I called GameStop and Target both, and both said I had to wait until tomorrow!

Variable

As someone who has both a 360 and a PS3, which version is superior? Are there any noticeable flaws in either version, or is it just a matter of Achievement points vs. a quieter system?

Zeliard

Damn, PC version's not out till the 20th. That's only 6 days after the console versions, but I'm surprisingly anticipating this so much that I'm almost willing to just go ahead and get the PS3/360 version rather than wait. Almost.

Hopefully the port isn't fucked.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Variable said:
As someone who has both a 360 and a PS3, which version is superior? Are there any noticeable flaws in either version, or is it just a matter of Achievement points vs. a quieter system?
Nothing major. Skim the thread and see a few people state the same. No worries on buying either version.,

vilmer_

Variable said:

Achievements vs Trophies I guess... I'm not sure what version to go with either.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Damn that sucks that people who ordered gamestop online got it a day earlier if they did overnight delivery than those getting it from the store. Hope this isnt a trend. If you dont get in on one of those overnight shipping free deals, they charge a ridiculous amount.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Diseased Yak said:
Shit, I wish I hadn't of watched that. Not only does it spoil what I presume is the opening, but it also shows what's got to be a boss.

Still, awesome as hell.

thanks for taking one for the team. i'm taking a wide berth

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
beelzebozo said:
thanks for taking one for the team. i'm taking a wide berth

Yeah, stay away. It is a bad ass trailer, though, with some cool music. Very well put together. The graphics look insane.

Draft said:
Of course. Though it does look like this is another game suffering from a sloppy port, and probably will require a gamepad for full enjoyment.
plays better on a gamepad does not = sloppy port. not in my book. survival horror is better on a pad. games where you have to hold a button to aim your weapon just don't feel right on a mouse and keyboard. never have.

Draft

plagiarize said:
plays better on a gamepad does not = sloppy port. not in my book. survival horror is better on a pad. games where you have to hold a button to aim your weapon just don't feel right on a mouse and keyboard. never have.
Emulating analog stick aiming with a precision instrument like the mouse is sloppy. Period. But it's very common nowadays, so anyone who's trying to use their gaming PC as a console replacement should go and buy a gamepad for just that reason.

pakkit

Banned
Diseased Yak said:
Yeah, stay away. It is a bad ass trailer, though, with some cool music. Very well put together. The graphics look insane.
Sigur Ros is all the rage in videogame trailers these days it seems.

Draft said:
Emulating analog stick aiming with a precision instrument like the mouse is sloppy. Period. But it's very common nowadays, so anyone who's trying to use their gaming PC as a console replacement should go and buy a gamepad for just that reason.
laser sight aiming with a camera that isn't locked to a crosshair that you have to hold down a button to aim with works best with an analog stick. emulating it with a mouse is sloppy. period.

this is a survival horror game. it's meant to be more difficult to aim than with a mouse. twas designed that way. twas designed to be played on a pad. the developers want people playing it on PC to experience the game on a pad, because that was their intended method of control, and the gameplay is balanced accordingly.

Shinjiru

I've seen some pretty good trailers in my day and that one is right up there.

Edit: I wish UPS would hurry up and get here!

pr0cs

I'm so happy this game is getting good scores, a company like EA with crazy amount of capital should be willing to do more risky new IP games like Dead Space, I hope this game sells well enough that EA continues to take more chances and make games/premise that I'm interested in.
I'm a little worried that Oct/Nov is going to leave some games in the shadows just because companies are stupid enough to release them all at the same time.

As is generally the case, I haven't been adding to the hype but have been waiting to see how this turned out. What I'm seeing and hearing of the final product sounds quite good, and in one of my favorite genres no less.

Still, since I have more than enough games waiting for me on the shelf unplayed, including the apparently "like-it-or-hate-it" Condemned 2, a rent might do. To that effect, I just called my local Blockbuster and it isn't even in their system yet.

this game went from a "lol wtf is this bullshit EA" when i got my game informer a year ago with dead space on the cover to a guarateed buy this week. EA is stepping up their quality in most areas (with the game i care about most being the exception... madden...)

:(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damn, wish I had some extra cash to buy this. Out of nowhere I got hit by a ton of hype, so I sent back a game to gamefly and cleared the list of everything but Dead Space. They have it listed as 10/16 for some reason, but I'm actually glad, I really want to get this, and usually gamefly takes forever with new releases unless you can get it right away.

pr0cs said:
I'm a little worried that Oct/Nov is going to leave some games in the shadows just because companies are stupid enough to release them all at the same time.

I think EA were really smart when they pushed forward the release to this week (was oct 21, even labelled as such in comic #5). Next week is Fable II and a bunch of others Far Cry 2, bioshock PS3, Spiderman, LBP etc. This week 'only' Saints Row 2 & SOCOM.

the local gamestop said they just got a bunch of preorders in the last couple days, there's strong word of mouth.

Median

I just got a call from my local EB (Brampton, Ontario) saying that they got a rush delivery containing Dead Space. This would be totally awesome for me except for the fact that I'm currently at school in Toronto waiting for a night class. I'd pick it up down here but the damn thing is paid for at a store about 40KM away :(

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
cleveridea said:
I think EA were really smart when they pushed forward the release to this week (was oct 21, even labelled as such in comic #5). Next week is Fable II and a bunch of others Far Cry 2, bioshock PS3, Spiderman, LBP etc. This week 'only' Saints Row 2 & SOCOM.

the local gamestop said they just got a bunch of preorders in the last couple days, there's strong word of mouth.

The commercials have been extremely effective.

Doodis

Shinjiru said:
I've seen some pretty good trailers in my day and that one is right up there.
Agreed. That was pretty sweet.

Anyone know if there's any difference between the Elite/Scorpion DLC suits besides color? If the only difference is color, I'll stick with the free one.

So I guess I'm going to have to settle with the 360 version for control. Doesn't seem like anyone else will write and more impressions before the night's over.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Done with the first three chapters. I think the game will be a great length actually.

:bow EA :bow2
:piss everyone else :piss2

pr0cs

VeritasVierge said:
So I guess I'm going to have to settle with the 360 version for control. Doesn't seem like anyone else will write and more impressions before the night's over.
I was sort of in the same situation when I preordered it. I wanted to save money but at that time there weren't any platform comparisons. I just picked the 360 version because in the past I've lucked out (GTA4). If i had the luxury I would have waited because I really prefer how the PS3 handles audio, a big piece of likely what makes this game all kinds of awesome.

Top Bottom