• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Mifune

Mehmber
HiResDes said:
No he was brought in early on, but much of what made it in has been altered so much that only the very basic structure of Dead Space and the naming of the characters can even be attributed to him.

Ah gotcha, thanks.

newsguy

MyEpitomeCliché said:
So it seems my order from EBGames has shipped. Here's hoping it'll arrive tomorrow (free overnight shipping FTW).

Hmm. I noticed that EB switched to "ships within 24 hours" which means this game could very well be in stores tomorrow. The hunt begins...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
KGKK said:
Damn 3 games come out tomorrow, Socom, Saints Row 2 and this. Don't know which one to get first.
Gamestop might have this tomorrow?!!!?!?!?!? I have the day off and that wold be all sorts of awesome.

newsguy said:
Hmm. I noticed that EB switched to "ships within 24 hours" which means this game could very well be in stores tomorrow. The hunt begins...

No, it'll hit Wednesday. Tuesday is shipping date :\

9.0 from Gamespot

The Good
Deeply engrossing story Breathtaking visuals and nerve-wracking audio Strategic dismemberment adds an entirely new, satisfying dimension to combat Truly terrifying gameplay keeps you on the edge of your seat.

The Bad
Repetitive mission objectives Close-quarters combat is troublesome.

Dead Space is a remarkable game from a well-tread genre that manages to stand out from its competitors in almost every way, from visual presentation to engaging story, innovative combat mechanics to fright factor. Whether you're looking for a terrifying horror experience or a deeply story-driven adventure that will keep you engaged for 15-20 hours, Dead Space is a fantastic game that you should not pass on.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/deadspace/review.html

Shawsie64

Banned
wow, this game reminds me of Riddick. That game just came out of nowhere for me and turned out to be one of my favourite games.

ThePeacemaker02 said:
The official dead space site says "In store tomorrow".

Well then I'm wrong, oh well.

I was speaking more out of generality with Gamestops BS though, they always tell you to come in Tuesdays and when you do they look at you like you're a fucking crazy person. :lol

dralla said:
websites always say that, ships tomorrow, in stores on Wed.

My order from EBGames shipped. The status of the game says it ships in 24 hours on their website. People have supposedly already found the game at Best Buy and my Gamestop has confirmed with me that they received it today to sell tomorrow. Guess it can't hurt to check tomorrow, eh?

kaskade

permutated said:
Well then I'm wrong, oh well.

I was speaking more out of generality with Gamestops BS though, they always tell you to come in Tuesdays and when you do they look at you like you're a fucking crazy person. :lol
I hate that, I wish sites would show the street date. I don't know how many times I've walked into a store and they never got the game in.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
my gamecrazy told me tomorrow, and they usually go to pick up games from the airport themselves even if they are only moderately hyped so im inclined to believe them.

Shawsie64 said:
wow, this game reminds me of Riddick. That game just came out of nowhere for me and turned out to be one of my favourite games.
I'm getting the same feeling. Man I hope it holds true. Riddick was absolutely fantastic.

I hate to start this again, but I am genuinely conflicted about which version to get. I kept hearing sporadic posts saying that the PS3 version has better audio. Is this confirmed? Is it due to the fact that blu ray has more space and they compress the audio more on the 360 dvd?

I would much rather get it on 360 since I like the controller better, especially for this kind of game, but if the audio on the PS3 version is superior it might sway me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ah yes, Riddick definitely seems like a good comparison here.

MisterAnderson said:
I hate to start this again, but I am genuinely conflicted about which version to get. I kept hearing sporadic posts saying that the PS3 version has better audio. Is this confirmed? Is it due to the fact that blu ray has more space and they compress the audio more on the 360 dvd?

I would much rather get it on 360 since I like the controller better, especially for this kind of game, but if the audio on the PS3 version is superior it might sway me.
Im only relying on actual text from reviews, of which I havent seen anything relating to which version is better. Im just gonna go with the 360.

Haunted

WHOAguitarninja said:
I'm playing it with a controller. If that has input lag too, then I'll go console, but I doubt it will.
As far as I understood, the mouse lag stems from the fact that they are emulating the analogue stick of a controller (instead of "true" mouse support). So basically the mouselook was as clumsy as an analogue stick would've been. But if you're playing it with a controller anyway, that point's moot. Then it's identical to the console versions.

I'm honestly considering playing this with a controller as well, just bought a new 360 one last week. Will try both options and decide then, I guess.

Oh wait, this comes out tomorrow? Shit I've been watching my Gamefly for so long it made me believe it was releasing on the 16th.

Oh well, I can wait a little longer.

So when can we expect Dead Space Wallpapers and Themes on the Playstation store?

I've never understood why we don't see more official themes and wallpapers, especially for big games like this one. I mean the devs already have all the assets at hand, and building themes is so damn easy. If the argument is that the artists have finished their duties and been re-assigned well before launch, then why not have them build the themes/select the wallpapers before they go, and just hold off their release until just before launch?

It's such an easy way to build word of mouth (so much easier than doing animated comics/movie!). Whenever I have friends over to play games or watch movies, the first thing everyone sees is what theme/desktop my PS3 is using, and invariably they ask me about it. These people are your target audience...

todahawk

_tetsuo_ said:
my gamecrazy told me tomorrow, and they usually go to pick up games from the airport themselves even if they are only moderately hyped so im inclined to believe them.

sonofabitch. if that's true i'm staying out the thread tomorrow, i probably won't be able to get the game until wednesday. but dammit, I just might have to make a late run to TRU tuesday if it does come out tomorrow.

_tetsuo_ said:

Gamecrazy rocks, I used to work there during the Gamecube years, was the best job I ever had.

People there usually know what the fuck they're talking about too, not like Gamestop where the employees sound like they post on Gamefaqs during their breaks. :lol

endlessflood said:
So when can we expect Dead Space Wallpapers and Themes on the Playstation store?

I've never understood why we don't see more official themes and wallpapers, especially for big games like this one. I mean the devs already have all the assets at hand, and building themes is so damn easy. If the argument is that the artists have finished their duties and been re-assigned well before launch, then why not have them build the themes/select the wallpapers before they go, and just hold off their release until just before launch?

It's such an easy way to build word of mouth (so much easier than doing animated comics/movie!). Whenever I have friends over to play games or watch movies, the first thing everyone sees is what theme/desktop my PS3 is using, and invariably they ask me about it. These people are your target audience...

Can't you just make your own? It's not like the 360 where you have to pay for that kind of shit, right?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
From what I seen you can use your own. I thought 2 just went up on the PS3 last week? Either way I have a nice dark on set right now.

MisterAnderson said:

Just wait untill people start posting their impressions. That's what I'm doing.

Nikorasu

Haunted said:
As far as I understood, the mouse lag stems from the fact that they are emulating the analogue stick of a controller (instead of "true" mouse support). So basically the mouselook was as clumsy as an analogue stick would've been. But if you're playing it with a controller anyway, that point's moot. Then it's identical to the console versions.

I'm honestly considering playing this with a controller as well, just bought a new 360 one last week. Will try both options and decide then, I guess.

Oh fuck not again! Why do they do this shit. I didn't finish Bioshock for months because the mouse control was so aggravating. Someone refute this, please! I don't want to cancel my pre-order.

Shawsie64

Banned
Nikorasu said:
Oh fuck not again! Why do they do this shit. I didn't finish Bioshock for months because the mouse control was so aggravating. Someone refute this, please! I don't want to cancel my pre-order.

What was wrong with the mouse control in Bioshock?

Shawsie64 said:
What was wrong with the mouse control in Bioshock?
It's just not smooth and feels overly erratic and spastic. Turning it all the way down doesn't really help...
It's part of the reason I refuse to finish Bioshock on PC as I can never get used to it.
Seriously, Bioshock plays best with a controller as the core game feels like it was designed around it ala Gears of War

RavenFox

Banned
MisterAnderson said:

PS3 audio in games have much more going for it. Its not uncommon for people to say this. There was a thread on here not to long ago about this and most users on gaf prefer PS3 sound output. The rest is up to you.

Captain N

I can't wait to try and get a few trophies for this game this week. The Story line is what has me really excited about this title.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Shawsie64 said:
ah okay, yeah i never really noticed it in bioshock myself.. gears on the other hand i couldnt stand..
The reason many say the PS3 sound output is better is mainly

-DTS support on all EA games, which improves sound fidelity and cranks up the bass quite a bit, and
-Better 5-channel separation, in my opinion.

senahorse

Unregistered007 said:
:lol :lol :lol

xbots are ganging up on me even though they are replying without reading, I was talking about 3rd party games in general. I guess they can get some sleep tonight..

Sorry?, was that directed at me? I was merely answering your question about the OFLC rating.

chubigans said:
The reason many say the PS3 sound output is better is mainly

-DTS support on all EA games, which improves sound fidelity and cranks up the bass quite a bit, and
-Better 5-channel separation, in my opinion.

really? ...on all EA Games? ....don't remeber if it was in Army of Two or not, then again that was UE3 and I've never seen a UE3 based game with DTS support

but yes, please someone post if Dead Space has DTS support!

page3_blog_entry521_1.jpg

I approve of your avatar :D

It's just starting to sink in that audio is probably going to be really important to this game. I might need to see if I can get the PS3 instead of 360 tomorrow since my 360 is quite loud (not a problem for Saints Row 2).

Top Bottom