• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

garath

VeritasVierge said:
So should I get the 360 one or the PS3 one?

I'm going for the PS3 version personally. Given 2 identical versions of a multiplatform game I tend to go with the PS3 route. I like my PS3 better than the 360 in general though so take what I say with a grain of bias.

indie85

Banned
VeritasVierge said:
So should I get the 360 one or the PS3 one?
I believe IGN gave the edge just to the PS3 one, probably pretty close.

Might be why Eurogamer gave it a 7.

Jk.
OR AM I?

Kingpen said:
Hmm Eurogamer review says 11 hour long on initial playthough.... I gotta say the devs hyping up 15+ hours of content and then hearing this is disappointing.

It will be a game day decision on Wednesday if I sill pick this up, or just pay off my other pre-orders.

Since there are maybe only two modern action/adventure/shooter games that remain consistently good for 15+ hours, I'll gladly take a better-paced, more polished 10-hour game every single time. Especially if the achievements/trophies make it fun to play through multiple times, ala BioShock.

Plus, the floodgates are about to open so I only have time for a few good single-player games outside of Fable 2, Fallout 3, and LittleBigPlanet which will take up the majority of my time this fall.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
indie85 said:
I believe IGN gave the edge just to the PS3 one, probably pretty close.

Might be why Eurogamer gave it a 7.

Jk.
OR AM I?
The fact that Eurogamer commented on how similar the two versions were speaks very highly of the PS3 version in that they are one of the only sites to commonly point out even the smallest differences.

Thanks all for the replies.

garath said:
I'm going for the PS3 version personally. Given 2 identical versions of a multiplatform game I tend to go with the PS3 route. I like my PS3 better than the 360 in general though so take what I say with a grain of bias.
Yeah, I'm leading towards the PS3 but it's not console preference. I got the PS3 version of Soul Calibur 4 only because online is free and sometimes I hate paying for Live. I suppose I'll have to wait and see like RavenFox stated to see what each bring to the table.

UK Narayan, I'm too cheap to justify that. Both versions would really have to exclusive yet worthwhile content on their own.

Kweh

dark10x said:
The fact that Eurogamer commented on how similar the two versions were speaks very highly of the PS3 version in that they are one of the only sites to commonly point out even the smallest differences.

No doubt they're saving them for the next "Face Off" article.

Costanza

Banned
So I just got off the phone with Toys R Us..

Apparently it's possible that they won't receive the game until Saturday (but it can still come in Wednesday). Fuck.

I'm going tomorrow and buying Saints Row 2 along with 2 other placeholder games.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Darklord said:
Good. Whenever the hype is huge GAF'ers expect way too much, end up disappointed and over time start hating it. It started on Diablo 3 about 30 seconds after it was announced.

Just wait and see the Little Big Planet hate start to fly a week after it's released.

"10? How did it get so many 10's? This a 7 at best"
"GOTY? More like OHGOTY(over hyped game of the year)"
"Holy shit THIS is what I've been waiting for? What a major disappointment"

6 months later:

Worst game this gen thread:

"Little Big Planet. Fuck that shit"
"GTA4 or Little Big Planet. Waste of money"

ect, ect.
As soon as people started touting Dead Space as the third coming of System Shock, which was a fucking genre defining, G.O.A.T. example of software, I knew DS was doomed before a single review hit. The lesson here is that people should stop namedropping the classics in reference to unproven software, period. Do we really expect Dead Space to be on Top 10 lists a decade and a half from now? That's what you're asking of it. I rolled my eyes when that poster gave his hands-on impressions a while back and said , "Forget Bioshock, THIS is your sequel to System Shock!" Really? Did he know what that means?

Resident Evil 4 in space would do it for me. Though I admit, I was hoping this could be something special.

Tycho words it nicely:

We devote a very small amount of space in this comic to Dead Space, which is an inversion of the amount of time we spend thinking about it. I'm utterly obsessed with it, but I try not to hold forth on the topic because frankly I don't know anything. I know the few minutes I've seen it running in front of me, and I try to glean things from trailers, but I don't know anything you don't. I'm waiting for Wednesday like everyone else, to discern if the imaginary structure I've built in my mind conforms in any way to reality.

todahawk

Costanza said:
So I just got off the phone with Toys R Us..

Apparently it's possible that they won't receive the game until Saturday (but it can still come in Wednesday). Fuck.

I'm going tomorrow and buying Saints Row 2 along with 2 other placeholder games.
damn, good point. I'll make sure to call before i head over on teh way home (it's a bit out of the way for me)

EdgeTurn

I generally favor Xbox360 versions over PS3 in the case of cross platform titles, but it's promising to hear that the PS3 version seems to stack up in this case. Any word on if it requires an install? My hard drive is almost out of space so mandatory installs are a dealbreaker for me for cross platform from here on out.

Kingpen

I think you guys are right about not getting nitpicky with the length. An 11-13 hour game is actually decent length. I'm playing Brother in Arms:HH right now, and it was supposed to have an 8 hour length. I'm probably half way done with it and already have put in 7 hours so far...

I think I'll keep the pre-order, now with the editional promise of new weapons via DLC.

Costanza

Banned
nathkenn said:
Dead Space is not the repetitive experience I sort of expected it to be. No two situations are alike. Puzzles are thrown in here and there to change the pace of the game. There are even minigames including a shooting range and a sort of demented basketball court that serve both to ease the tension after a series of wicked battles, and also to reward the player with much-appreciated loot.
:D

RPS37

What the hell is up with Doc saying "first-person" when he means to say "single-player"?
That shit blew my mind for a second there.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So, any reviews or articles directly comment on the differences between the 2 versions? In the case of them being the same, 360 is the obvious choice for the achievements and most of my friends are on the 360, but im looking for a game thats actually better on the ps3 cause that thing mostly collects dust. since the only games I buy for it are exclusives.

I dont know where the people above are getting their info from about IGN saying ps3 is better since i didnt see any specific reference to a format in either reviews.

todahawk

bigdaddygamebot said:
Wow.

It's getting crazy high reviews.

I knew it was worth purchasing but ... these reviews have me pretty eager to get my hands on it now.

I'm really trying not to get too hyped up, I don't want to be disappointed. These damn reviews!

This game will be amazing without a doubt. The team did everything right. Starting with the storyline. Judging by the reviews and the animated movies and trailers we've seen, they've truly fleshed out a universe with a real storyline. Audio and video logs all throughout the space station, being all alone in space. This game nailed the one thing that makes truly great games,. Immersion. An awsome storyline with great graphics and sound, great setting and deep fun gameplay. This game has got it all, I'm totally psyched.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If Dead Space can keep me entertained for the 10 or so hours to finish it and is hopefully fun enough to replay sometime, thats all I want. I never bought into that whole "this game is the next *insert gaming sacred cow*" or "this game is the true sequel to *insert gaming holy grail here*". That line of thinking always leads to disappointment and you can only see the game for what it isn't instead of what it is. Thats a recipe for failure. FFVII taught me that lesson well.

andylad_uk

Neo Member
if the 2 versions are pretty identical i'll go for 360 one as it will upscale to 1080p on my tv....

only very few ps3 games upscale which is a bloody stupid really since sony always seem to be the ones hyping 1080p.....baaaaaa

were getting this a week after you guys in the us..... 4 games on the same day 24th..

dead space
fable 2
far cry 2
little big planet

its a tough day to be a game freak money wise but fookin awesome to play em woo hoo :)

RavenFox

Banned
nathkenn said:
Wow!

For instance, you can always tell you’re about to get your ass handed to you because all of the sudden you find yourself in a room full of stasis recharge and ammo crates. If it feels like the game is handing you a bunch of good stuff, I would be very careful about the next few doors you open. The Ishimura welcome wagon probably has a hell of a reception for you.

While the game is absolutely gorgeous in its dreariness, SOUND DESIGN is where I feel Dead Space beats the living snot out of anything I have ever played. Apparently done by the devil himself, there’s never a moment where you feel safe. Several times I had to take off my headphones for an escape from the extreme tension that the audio brings to the game.
Oh shit

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Congrats EA, I ordered Dead Space today, making it my second PS3 game after MGS4.

RavenFox

Banned
andylad_uk said:
if the 2 versions are pretty identical i'll go for 360 one as it will upscale to 1080p on my tv....

only very few ps3 games upscale which is a bloody stupid really since sony always seem to be the ones hyping 1080p.....baaaaaa
Do you think an upscaled image looks better than a native true 720p image? Please keep your BS out the thread. Your rich...

RavenFox said:
Do you think an upscaled image looks better than a native true 720p image? Please keep your BS out the thread. Your rich...

If his TV is native 1080p and his 360 does a better job upscaling, then it will.

dk_

Is there any reason to favor a version over the other? I preordered the 360 one just to make sure. :)

God, I'm so hyped!

andylad_uk

Neo Member
no bs mate, i enjoy both consoles and i think the pic of the upscaled 360 is better than native 720 on ps3 but hey maybe thats my opinion...

deffo not rich either, but make sacrifices to enjoy my games what can i say....

but when ps3 does push 1080p .......wipoeout jesus looks amazing.....

i just dont know why the 720 p games cant be upscaled like they are on 360....some are but not many.

anyways dont wanna start any flame wars....i get games for both when i can afford em..

dk_ said:
Is there any reason to favor a version over the other? I preordered the 360 one just to make sure. :)

God, I'm so hyped!

The biggest difference seems to be the suits you get with them. I like the 360's suit, but I'm leaning towards the PC version so that I can play it at higher settings and/or smoother framerates.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nath, if I remember correctly you worked on Madden 06 for the 360, yes? How'd you end up on Dead Space (did you work on it?) What was it like working on different projects within 1 company?

andylad_uk

Neo Member
the game looks awesome on both consoles....really looking forward to it.

just need a bank loan to pay for all the releases ha ha

Movement

So I don't understand after reading the reviews, whats keeping this game from getting 9-9.5s? I know its getting some but gamerankings has is at like 8.7

HiResDes

Mifune said:
Did Warren Ellis write the Dead Space script?
No he was brought in early on, but much of what made it in has been altered so much that only the very basic structure of Dead Space and the naming of the characters can even be attributed to him.

dk_

WHOAguitarninja said:
The biggest difference seems to be the suits you get with them. I like the 360's suit, but I'm leaning towards the PC version so that I can play it at higher settings and/or smoother framerates.
Someone on the previous pages mentioned mouse input lag.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Y2Kev said:
Nath, if I remember correctly you worked on Madden 06 for the 360, yes? How'd you end up on Dead Space (did you work on it?) What was it like working on different projects within 1 company?

I went to California for several months to help out on Dead Space. The previous project I was on had just finished up and I had some connections that got me a hook up. It was really an awesome experience and I loved California too. I have always wanted to work on survival horror. I'm back at Tiburon now for the time being though.

andylad_uk

Neo Member
must admit after reading the "sarcastic gamer" review i'm even more hyped for this....

has anyone seen the dev diaries on the 360 marketplace? are they worth a watch or not...or possible spoilers?

Top Bottom