• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Not even sure they do any more damage if you up the difficulty. I know my health bar hardly moved the one solitary time the hive mind managed to hit me on impossible, but I was using the tank suit. Maybe the damage is more significant when you're using standard equipment?

I was playing on Hard without any DLC. Maxed out too many weapons was left with a Rig still on 100 HP, and a Level 4 suit, so maybe that's why - I was getting 1-hit killed left right and centre by the Hive Mind :lol :lol :lol

Ledsen

gollumsluvslave said:
I was playing on Hard without any DLC. Maxed out too many weapons was left with a Rig still on 100 HP, and a Level 4 suit, so maybe that's why - I was getting 1-hit killed left right and centre by the Hive Mind :lol :lol :lol

But the only thing you need to do to avoid getting hit even once is... run left or right :p

desverger

One of the games I truly enjoyed this year.

My first playtrough was on hard, and I'm glad I restarted when I felt medium was a little too easy. I preferred the PC, Force Gun, Contact Beam and Line Cutter - out of those the PC and LC saw a lot of use early on, while the other two became more useful with their upgraded damage on the later parts of the game.

Started a PC-only playthrough with the impossible difficulty setting, so far it's providing an entirely different challenge and I love it. Will have to see how impossible it's going to get in the later sections though :p

Tron 2.0

Sorry if this has already been posted, but whomever designed the "shoot asteroids until the shields are up" part of the game needs to be shot.

That is all.

bj00rn_

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
Sorry if this has already been posted, but whomever designed the "shoot asteroids until the shields are up" part of the game needs to be shot.

That is all.

Yeah, that was for me one of the very few things I didn't like about the game.

Anyway, I bought the Tank DLC, and with upped difficulty and with this suit the balance is just right to give me a lot fun a second time through.

This game just has me plugged in right now. My personal goty so far. It's the most atmospheric game I've played this gen, and the gameplay is just addicting. Got through 5 chapters today though so hopefully it won't be finished to quickly.

Just finished the game. Absolutely epic!!! At the end of the game I said fuck it, sold everything off except the Plasma Rifle and completely upgraded it. Then I bought nothing but med kits and rounds for the PR. Shit was absolutely epic. Was firing shots off like crazy and just splitting everything apart, and I basically had infinite ammo because I didn't get anything but PR rounds, stasis energy, and med kits.

I kind of wish I had done this earlier. Probably would have made the game a little too easy, but ah well.

Also the ending
scene caught me completely by surprise and I jumped a little bit :lol.

Shoogoo

Dark FaZe said:
Just finished the game. Absolutely epic!!! At the end of the game I said fuck it, sold everything off except the Plasma Rifle and completely upgraded it. Then I bought nothing but med kits and rounds for the PR. Shit was absolutely epic. Was firing shots off like crazy and just splitting everything apart, and I basically had infinite ammo because I didn't get anything but PR rounds, stasis energy, and med kits.

I kind of wish I had done this earlier. Probably would have made the game a little too easy, but ah well.

Also the ending
scene caught me completely by surprise and I jumped a little bit :lol.

What do you call Plasma Rifle? Is it the Plasma Cutter or the Pulse Rifle? If it's the Pulse, you wouldn't have been able to play with it for the whole game, that weapon is shit in the beginning but shines once fully upgraded. For the Plasma Cutter, well I feel it's the best weapon with the Line.

Zyzyxxz

Just beat the game on medium with a lv5 suit.

PC with dmg maxed out and most nodes used, Line cutter almost maxed out, ripper mostly upgraded.

Are the force gun and contact beam any good? I'm gonna play through again on hard later on.

But damn I just finished watching the dead space animated comics and wow! If only the game was as creepy as those animated comics. I felt as the game progressed it became more action oriented and less thematic.

I was a little disappointed with the final boss though, not as interesting to fight as the other big boss you fight especially since it was in a zero gravity area. Still epic presentation.

Cronen

So I just bought Dead Space last night. I'm about half-way (I'm guessing) through the second chapter, and wow! I'm loving it! :D

Shoogoo

Zyzyxxz said:
Are the force gun and contact beam any good? I'm gonna play through again on hard later on.

Force gun can be compared to a Shottie. Really delivers when at close range. I didn't like the contact beam altough it clearly is the most powerful weapon in the game. It is slow and ammos take a lot of place (they go per pack of 4). What I did was keeping it in my inventory so I would receive contact ammo which sells for tons of cash (1000 credits for one). Helped me reach the maxed out achievement in one playthrough.

Dyno

Shoogoo said:
Force gun can be compared to a Shottie. Really delivers when at close range. I didn't like the contact beam altough it clearly is the most powerful weapon in the game. It is slow and ammos take a lot of place (they go per pack of 4). What I did was keeping it in my inventory so I would receive contact ammo which sells for tons of cash (1000 credits for one). Helped me reach the maxed out achievement in one playthrough.

Contact Beam is good for long hallways when you see them coming. Plus it's a boss monster destroyer. Using the Contact Beam effectively can save you ammo on all three of your other equipped weapons.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
anyone else have love for the stasis + line gun mine combo? i fully upgraded the mine and it's straight beasty

me Jojo

Infamypack said:
15 tries and I still no Don't get cocky, kid achievement. Either I suck or I'm REALLY unlucky with my random patterns.
Great example of how unlucky of a fuck I am. After 40+ tries, I finally got an easy pattern, and managed to do it with 75% shield health left.
I swear I had some of the craziest patterns, like rows of huge asteroids, impossible to destroy them all before hitting the ship thanks to the super fast overheating, not to forget mentioning there were a bunch of small ones as well.

edit: Also, I asked this on xbox360achievements.com but didn't get a reply. Might as well ask it on Gaf.

I bought the Scorpion DLC pack and noticed I needed to buy the original weapons for the Full Arsenal achievement, does this mean I have to upgrade all the original weapons and ignore the upgrade slots on my 3 Scorpion weapons to get the Maxed Out achievement? :<

From what I've read, the DLC weapons stand in for regular ones. Meaning you can upgrade those instead (not both versions), and still get the achievment.

Zachack

worldrevolution said:
30 times? The hive mind? I took down the hive mind on my very first try, and actually never got hit. It was by far the easiest boss in the entire game.. 30 times? really..? What patterns..he has like one..swing giant tentacle..? Do the bosses have different patterns depending on the difficulty?
While the tentacle was easy I died the first time I got to the... rail shooter segment, for lack of a better term. Worth it though, the death sequence is really well done (and IMO very unsettling). The dev team deserves major kudos for translating vague emotional attachment to what is basically a heavy-breathing leather suit.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
okay, where the heck do you shoot those
bat things that necromorph corpses
? Annoying fucks.

djkimothy

K.Jack said:
? Annoying fucks.

Shoot them anywhere.

Supposedly if you shoot their tube thing while they're transforming corpses it's weaker there.

I just use the force cannon or any explosives on them.

K.Jack said:
? Annoying fucks.
I
stomped all the corpses into pieces
to prevent those
bastards
from
reviving them
:D

me Jojo

drmcclin said:
From what I've read, the DLC weapons stand in for regular ones. Meaning you can upgrade those instead (not both versions), and still get the achievment.
But I didn't get the Full Arsenal achievement when I had all scorpion weapons in place of the regular ones... ah well, I'll just upgrade all my scorpion weapons (already have my plasma cutter fully upgraded), if the achievement doesn't unlock, I could always just play through it again and get those 3 regulars upgraded.

me Jojo

Regenerators are some scary shit, especially the one in chapter 10. I had no clue how to move those bunks again so I was stuck there, having a blackout with that Regenerator growling in my neck. I went back and forth a couple of times to keep it away from me, then when I THOUGHT I had it boxed in, it just went into a vent and appeared right next to me. I was stuck with it once more. After like 3~4 minutes running around I finally managed to move the bunks so that I could get it. I wasted like nearly all my med packs in that room so the next room, where it would just pop up again out of a vent along with 10 other zombies was REALLY frustrating. When the door was finally unlocked first thing I wanted to do was save the damn game, but the save terminal was on stand by because Amelia and that fat scientist kept talking. When it finally went off stand-by the damn Regenerator came out of a vent right next to me. I thought I was done for, having to go through all that crap again, but I managed to get into the elevator, without saving, and little health left before it could finish me off.
I swear these were the most tense 10 minutes I ever had in a videogame.

:lol

soldat7

I'm on vacation far away from home and I'm doing my best to convince all of my video game-playing relatives to buy this game. Can't wait for my Insane run...

I'm probably about halfway through, and although EVERYTHING about this game is well designed, it is so lifeless.. I will probably not continue :\

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Tried the dismemberment demo, niiice.
Going to bite, I don't like the Silenthillishy monsters though, too cliche' imo.

The game's a bit dark on my screen, the demo didn't sport an in-game contrast slide bar (just brightness settings), does the full game have it?

primemover21 said:
I'm probably about halfway through, and although EVERYTHING about this game is well designed, it is so lifeless.. I will probably not continue :\
It's *Dead* Space ;) If it's not your kind of atmosphere there's no way to change that, though :(

karasu

Ugh! I hate how slow the character moves! It's the same thing I hated about RE4. I love the atmosphere and such, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm controlling a vehicle as opposed to a human being.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
karasu said:
Ugh! I hate how slow the character moves! It's the same thing I hated about RE4. I love the atmosphere and such, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm controlling a vehicle as opposed to a human being.

Issac is a vehicle of alien asshole obliteration, so you are getting the right vibe.

Ethereal

I felt like Issac controlled very well all things considered. It easily could have been much worse. Besides not being as mobile as you might like amps up the tension in some areas (albeit a tad artificially), but I like it. This game is arguably one of the best to come out this year and I put it on par with RE4 in terms of my overall enjoyment

karasu said:

It's a guy in space wearing a suit that probably weighs a tonne. What are you expecting? The agility of an NBA player?

Having said that, there's a run button. Use it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh...playing through again on impossible.....whoever designed the infamous sequence of chapter 5....
The asteroid sequence....
really needs to take another look.

I swear that I'm only shooting the ones that look like they'll hit, but for some reason, ones that earlier have soared right past, new ones that take the 'same' trajectory end up hitting me...if there's an achievement for getting done with over 50 left on that bitch, there's no way I'm gonna get it.

Other than that, still loving this game....even if I'm just mowing things down with the plasma cutter.

Metroidvania said:
Ugh...playing through again on impossible.....whoever designed the infamous sequence of chapter 5....
The asteroid sequence....
really needs to take another look.

I swear that I'm only shooting the ones that look like they'll hit, but for some reason, ones that earlier have soared right past, new ones that take the 'same' trajectory end up hitting me...if there's an achievement for getting done with over 50 left on that bitch, there's no way I'm gonna get it.

Other than that, still loving this game....even if I'm just mowing things down with the plasma cutter.

Probably the worst part of the game to be honest.

Having said that, I've got 47/48 achievements now. Just need to beat the game on impossible, which will be my third playthrough.

Zachack

djkimothy said:
Shoot them anywhere.
More like shoot them everywhere and don't stop until you're sure they're dead. I unloaded entire pulse round clips just rapid-firing at them whenever I saw one. I also learned to stomp every corpse I saw, which took a while when I got to
Crew Quarters
, but it was totally worth it at the end of the chapter and two of those things just made a beeline right for me when I entered the big room full of stomped bodies.

More like shoot them everywhere and don't stop until you're sure they're dead

My approache for the Infectors was ALWAYS a stasis and line gun mine combo. :D

Especially on Hard at a couple of points, it's essential to kill those fuckers before they create some dark necromorphs. The stasis and line gun combo deals with those buggesr perfectly.

Regenerator stuff

:lol Indeed, quite a bit panic set in during those sequences, very tense. Did a wee victory gig when I finally got rid off the bam!

djkimothy

Zachack said:
More like shoot them everywhere and don't stop until you're sure they're dead. I unloaded entire pulse round clips just rapid-firing at them whenever I saw one. I also learned to stomp every corpse I saw, which took a while when I got to
Crew Quarters
, but it was totally worth it at the end of the chapter and two of those things just made a beeline right for me when I entered the big room full of stomped bodies.
Hahah. Yah. On my second play through and Impossible run I made sure that they didn't have any candidates to work on. Made the encounter less stressful.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dash Kappei said:
Tried the dismemberment demo, niiice.
Going to bite, I don't like the Silenthillishy monsters though, too cliche' imo.

The game's a bit dark on my screen, the demo didn't sport an in-game contrast slide bar (just brightness settings), does the full game have it?

anybody? :)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Got the game as a Christman gift, but I don't know if I wanna play it now. It's dark outside and I scare kinda easily :/

_tetsuo_ said:
this is probably the least hate i have ever seen for a game in an official gaf thread

...and well deserved.

Easily my GOTY. Everything is so well done and polished to hell and back.

I really hope people buy this thing to encourage EA to continue the franchise.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Got the game as a Christman gift, but I don't know if I wanna play it now. It's dark outside and I scare kinda easily :/

Despite an almost flawless atmosphere in terms of scares I wasn't all that nervous. Probably because most scares are fairly predictable monster closets.

I only played the game once at night though so perhaps thats the reason :lol

Top Bottom