• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've played it for a bit more than an hour so far. It's pretty cool so far. It started out kinda scary, with me jumping in my sofa quite a few times. Then when I got to the medical bay it got less scary, probably because there's a lot of lights there.

Either way, the only thing that's bugged me so far is that it's taken me so long to understand what I can open/destroy to get items. I was almost through the entire first chapter when I understood that you can break those boxes on the floor and open some of the boxes on the walls. And it wasn't until the second chapter I realized that there are also lockers that you can open (at first I thought they were some kind of computer main frames or something).

desverger

ItsInMyVeins said:
Either way, the only thing that's bugged me so far is that it's taken me so long to understand what I can open/destroy to get items. I was almost through the entire first chapter when I understood that you can break those boxes on the floor and open some of the boxes on the walls. And it wasn't until the second chapter I realized that there are also lockers that you can open (at first I thought they were some kind of computer main frames or something).

There's pretty much three things that you can pick up from the environment. First of all are those green boxes, second there are lockers and boxes on the walls. Third are power nodes.

The thing to know with lockers and boxes is that there's a white light in them when they are open. This is very distinct and you'll start to notice it. Also when you're backtracking, some lockers can unlock, but they never do in the middle of a chapter. Power node boxes also have a small light in them, but they're never locked.

Hope this helps!

Nizz

Got this game as a Christmas gift and so far I'm at Chapter 3. Wow, this game is pretty awesome! That demo really did not do the game justice. Once you understand how to use the stasis and telekinesis powers, and discovered short cuts to health and inventory screens (something that wasn't really explained to me at all in the demo, imo) I really got into the gameplay. I had d/loaded the Obsidian suit even before I had the game, off of PSN. I think the black suit with blue face light looks bad-ass. :D Damn game even made me jump once early on! ;) Wasn't expecting something to pop out when it did. But so far, I'm really digging the game, it's really good. Very polished, nice graphics and the sound is crazy, though to get the full effect, I'm playing with headphones on since right now I have the PS3 hooked up only to a 2.1 Logitech set. But yeah, so far so good!

Got the PC version for Xmas. I have a wireless 360 controller and Windows receiver for it, as well as a keyboard/mouse of course, so I'll play a few minutes in each to see what works best.

Anything I need to know before jumping in? What I've gathered so far is:

1) Watch the animated shorts first, but wait till after I finish the game to watch Downfall (even though Downfall is a prequel, WTF?)

2) Turn Vsync off in-game, turn on in Nvidia Control Panel

Anyone have any tips on which weapons/upgrades to get? I know there a ton of possible ways to do it, I just want to know which way's the best the first time.

me Jojo

faceless007 said:
1) Watch the animated shorts first, but wait till after I finish the game to watch Downfall (even though Downfall is a prequel, WTF?)
Play the game first, I guess you could watch the comic trailers first so you have an idea what happened down on the colony 7 days before the game starts, but the movie pretty much explains everything from the game, and the game is far more enjoyable when you have no clue how the infection on board happened. It's kinda like with Star Wars! The timeline goes from Comics -> Downfall -> Game.

As for me, I got this as an early Christmas present a week or two ago. I'm at chapter 6, round 2. Achievement hogging. Currently going for the plasma cutter one. Trying to get all achievements but the Epic Tier Engineer one. I'll save that one for sometime next year.:D

faceless007 said:
Anyone have any tips on which weapons/upgrades to get? I know there a ton of possible ways to do it, I just want to know which way's the best the first time.

It doesn't really matter, unless you're playing on hard. You'll probably end up with every weapon since you'll have so much extra money. The pulse rifle is shit though, you should probably forget about that one altogether.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
akachan ningen said:
It doesn't really matter, unless you're playing on hard. You'll probably end up with every weapon since you'll have so much extra money. The pulse rifle is shit though, you should probably forget about that one altogether.
*shrug*

I kept it with me for basically all of the game and found it to be effective in conjunction with the Plasma Rifle and Line Gun.

To the guy who asked: just have fun and experiment if you're playing on Normal. The two weapons I found to be the most useful were the Plasma Cutter and the Line Gun, but don't worry too much, like I said, just have fun.

Got the game with my bundle for christmas and whoa, it's pretty damn good! I have only played for about 1.5h (saved after the first zero G part) but I'm impressed. It's like a better Cold Fear!

OK, WTF. I can't even start the game. I double-click it, it switches resolutions to 640x480 then just crashes back to the desktop with an illegal operation error. No sound, no menu, no other message of any kind. I've checked the official forums but no one else has had this problem. Most of the problems seem to be Vista-related, but I'm running XP SP3.

Here I go into the bowels of EA's shitty support site...

me Jojo

faceless007 said:
OK, WTF. I can't even start the game. I double-click it, it switches resolutions to 640x480 then just crashes back to the desktop with an illegal operation error. No sound, no menu, no other message of any kind. I've checked the official forums but no one else has had this problem. Most of the problems seem to be Vista-related, but I'm running XP SP3.

This is the reason I switched to console gaming.

dk_

faceless007 said:

It's time for you to get a console.

Nizz

Man, the first big boss in the game surprised the hell out of me,
the Brute.
And it looks like they gave a nod to the
Doom
franchise. I saw a character named
Carmack, shout out to John?
I'm really enjoying this game. I don't play the game till the sun goes down, though. I feel there's no other way to play it. ;)

bottles

fps fanatic said:
Man, the first big boss in the game surprised the hell out of me,
the Brute.
And it looks like they gave a nod to the
Doom
franchise. I saw a character named
Carmack, shout out to John?
I'm really enjoying this game. I don't play the game till the sun goes down, though. I feel there's no other way to play it. ;)

Don’t forget to turn up your speakers.

I got this game yesterday and I really enjoyed the first chapter. One question, though: why aren't my achievements popping up? I got two already, and I didn't even know it.

Red

Dax01 said:
I got this game yesterday and I really enjoyed the first chapter. One question, though: why aren't my achievements popping up? I got two already, and I didn't even know it.
Did you turn off notifications?

Got the game for Christmas and I'm partway into Chapter 2. So far I am loving it. Great Alien inspired atmosphere. Cheesy acting. Great gore. This game has it all so far.

My only complaint thus far is some of the button choices are a bit odd. Hold L button to run? Isn't that what we have an analog stick for? And x for quick heal item is way too easy to accidentally hit in the middle of a shootout.

One question: Does the flamethrower have any use whatsoever against larger enemies? I have found it useful against the annoying little bug-like things, but it doesn't even seem to slow down the human sized freaks.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
ok since uk money is worthless now i bought 3 games i a row (only paid 85€, here in germany i would have spend ~180€)... dead space, fallout and prince of persia...

cant wait to play this game, and i hope that gaf hype is right this time!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fourth Storm said:
Got the game for Christmas and I'm partway into Chapter 2. So far I am loving it. Great Alien inspired atmosphere. Cheesy acting. Great gore. This game has it all so far.

My only complaint thus far is some of the button choices are a bit odd. Hold L button to run? Isn't that what we have an analog stick for? And x for quick heal item is way too easy to accidentally hit in the middle of a shootout.

One question: Does the flamethrower have any use whatsoever against larger enemies? I have found it useful against the annoying little bug-like things, but it doesn't even seem to slow down the human sized freaks.

The controls weirded me out in the beginning too. I actually never ran much since I was afraid of getting jumped by something. However, a good 3-4 hours in and the controls felt like second nature. I loved the quick-heal..way better than say RE where you open your menu and do it from there.

The flamethrower is pretty bad against big enemies, though there are a few that do explode decently from it. It's not too bad if you cut their legs off with something else and then burn the crawling corpse with the thrower. I never used the thrower much but I would assume if you upgraded completely it's way better than when you first get it. The upgrades in this game are great.

voltron

Ahh man, Im so torn as to what to do next.

I finished the game on medium tonight and have now played through to a store on level 2 where I have enough credits to buy the level 6 Military suit. That thing is BADASS! It looks like something from Star Wars.

In addition, I have like the Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, Pulse Rifle, Kinesis and Stasis all completely upgraded 100% + most of the Ripper.

But it feels kinda like a waste of my time playing through again on medium. I feel like I should just start fresh on Impossible now and do a 3rd play-through with the Military suit after I beat that, just so to make it a little more of a challenge...

sigh

fuck knows.

polg

I just finished the game. Am I the only one that felt like playing Half Life 2 while playing Dead Space? Dunno, he is a miner, everybody talks to him, he doesn't reply, the tools.

Anyway, pretty awesome game :)

polg said:
I just finished the game. Am I the only one that felt like playing Half Life 2 while playing Dead Space? Dunno, he is a miner, everybody talks to him, he doesn't reply, the tools.

Anyway, pretty awesome game :)
Engineer.

Isaac is an engineer.

For the noobs who got the game for X-Mas, here are some tips:

1. Do not use the nodes to open doors. Use it for upgrades.

2. Upgrade your suit health along with the plasma cutter (upgrade air, stasis (max this only), kinesis by 1 or 2 nodes later if you wish as they aren't as integral). As soon as you get a schematic for a new suit, buy it.

3. The 2 best guns in the game are the Plasma Cutter and the Pulse Rifle. Upgrade those two only as they are the only ones you'll need to beat the game. The rest of the weapons are nice but more like accessories.

Eg. The flame thrower is completely useless as the rapid fire of the pulse gun does the same thing with far more range.

The Plasma Cutter when maxed is simply the best gun in the game. It gives you the most control. It's fast, powerful and acurate.

4. In your first run through the game, just equip Plasma cutter and Pulse Rifle because the ammo available is proportional to the weapons being carried.

Chiggs

Gold Member
DarkJediKnight said:

2. Upgrade your suit health along with the plasma cutter (upgrade air, stasis (max this only), kinesis by 1 or 2 nodes later if you wish as they aren't as integral). As soon as you get a schematic for a new suit, buy it.

3. The 2 best guns in the game are the Plasma Cutter and the Pulse Rifle. Upgrade those two only as they are the only ones you'll need to beat the game. The rest of the weapons are nice but more like accessories.

Eg. The flame thrower is completely useless as the rapid fire of the pulse gun does the same thing with far more range.

The Plasma Cutter when maxed is simply the best gun in the game. It gives you the most control. It's fast, powerful and acurate.

4. In your first run through the game, just equip Plasma cutter and Pulse Rifle because the ammo available is proportional to the weapons being carried.

I agree with all of these points. It surprised me when I saw a lot of people in this thread shitting on the Pulse rifle, and from my experience it was an absolute life saver.

DarkJediKnight said:

Ooh. Thank you! Especially the last point.

Nizz

DarkJediKnight said:

Too late on point #1, though I haven't used a lot of nodes to open doors. With point # 2, that's something I'm working hard at. That suit health. As far as point # 3, those are two of my favorite weapons in the whole game, in addition to the line cutter. I agree the flamethrower is pretty useless. Thanks for the tips! :D

I got the game working on my PC so you console fanboys can suck it.

Only just started, and wow, the beginning of this game really makes an impression. I knew the first few minutes would be safe (horror games always start off by lulling you into a false sense of security) but I figured I didn't have to worry until the game gave me a weapon. Then
that first necromorph attacks you and the only thing you can do is FUCKING RUN.
Then you get to the elevator and catch your breath.
BUT IT FUCKING BREAKS THROUGH THE METAL DOOR.
Me=little girl.

So now I have no idea what this game will throw at me.

The game just looks gorgeous; I'm not a graphics whore by any means, but the high res of the textures, the shaders on the necromorphs, the full 3D of the RIG holograms, really looks incredibly polished.

Atrus

Gold Member
DarkJediKnight said:

1. Almost all node doors contain more than the 10K in value of resale than a node costs off of the store. I never regret opening one on any difficulty.

3. I would say the best complement to the Plasma Cutter is actually the Line Cutter given that the extra ammo has good resale value, and the mines are extremely effective in enemy groups and those wall mounted necromorphs.

kuYuri

Dax01 said:
Nope, it was on. I did have my online status to "busy," but that shouldn't affect it, should it?

Actually, I think it does. I remember I set myself to busy and forgot to take it off and I never saw my achievements while playing another game pop up either.

DarkJediKnight said:

Completely ignore this tip. It's a great idea to open node doors, as some of the extra stuff inside can be sold for money worth more than a node.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Strider2K99 said:
Actually, I think it does. I remember I set myself to busy and forgot to take it off and I never saw my achievements while playing another game pop up either.

Completely ignore this tip. It's a great idea to open node doors, as some of the extra stuff inside can be sold for money worth more than a node.
I'd actually save before hand if possible, then open the door. If what's inside is actually worth it to you, continue playing, if not, reload.

Top Bottom