• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

xinoart

Banned
For those having problems with the asteroid section, there's a little trick (on PS3 at least). I saved right before I sat in the chair.. Before you hop in the chair, leave the room and enter again. There should still be ice frosted on the glass when you look out. It dumbs down the graphics but it makes it easier to see to shoot. You don't have to mess with the brightness of the tv at all and maybe just mess with the gamma in-game. It worked for me and I ended that section after 3 tries with like 80% or so.

Hope it helps someone.

chiba

Just finished it. Fuckin amazing game and 1 of my all time faves. lol @ the
last 3 seconds before the credits, freaked me out and made me jump out of my chair more than anything in the actual game I think;p
Bring on Dante's Inferno Visceral, can't wait.

oatmeal

Banned
Getting a new 7.1 set up this week, how's the sound in this game?

I'd love to get something that is scary as shit because of the sound work...

oatmeal said:

Saying the sound is amazing doesn't do it justice. You're in for a treat.

Prezhulio

oatmeal said:

some of the best sound ever in a videogame for me, and i know a lot of people feel strongly about how good it is.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I need help. I think its a glitch or something.
I'm in Chapter 12 right near the excavation site. I have the Marker in the room where the store and the save are. I take it to the next in between spot. I close the shutters. And then the new door opens but the marker won't go through. Is this a glitch? I'm

Edit: I figured out a way to get past the glitch. If anyone runs into the same glitch and needs help just give me a message.

xinoart

Banned
sazabirules said:
I need help. I think its a glitch or something.
I'm in Chapter 12 right near the excavation site. I have the Marker in the room where the store and the save are. I take it to the next in between spot. I close the shutters. And then the new door opens but the marker won't go through. Is this a glitch? I'm

Edit: I figured out a way to get past the glitch. If anyone runs into the same glitch and needs help just give me a message.

Wait that's a glitch? If I remember correctly, you have to use Kinesis to move the Marker. It's not automatic.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xinoart said:
Wait that's a glitch? If I remember correctly, you have to use Kinesis to move the Marker. It's not automatic.

No there was a glitch. I know you had to move it with kinesis but at one point in between the rooms it would not move any further. It got stuck on nothing. It was in the transition room after the save point. The solution was to save the game to another slot and just load that one. It solved the problem for me.

codecow

Minamu said:
I think you guys underestimate achievement junkies ;) If we see an easy achievement, we go for it, no matter the hoops.

We're thinking a lot more about achievements this time, we'll hopefully have some more inspired stuff in our next title.

But I am a bit curious. If you guys weren't happy with the impossible mode implementation & didn't get it done the way you wanted it, why push the release date back 2 weeks in the first place? :D

Basically to try and avoid the glut of releases coming over the next few weeks. For example, when Wrath of the Lich King came out I was basically done with life until mid-January.

Nizz

codecow said:
I can tell you that what I'm working on now is very interesting work and I'm excited about where it's going.

:)
Very interesting. Can't wait to finally hear more on it. :D

xinoart

Banned
sazabirules said:
No there was a glitch. I know you had to move it with kinesis but at one point in between the rooms it would not move any further. It got stuck on nothing. It was in the transition room after the save point. The solution was to save the game to another slot and just load that one. It solved the problem for me.

Weird. I never heard of that happening. At least it wasn't game breaking exactly like TR: Underworld. Man that was bad in parts.

codecow: I know I for one can't wait either ;)

Oreoleo

codecow said:
We're thinking a lot more about achievements this time, we'll hopefully have some more inspired stuff in our next title.

I really liked the achievements in Dead Space, I thought there was a nice mix of one's you'd get along the way regardless and other one's you had to "work" for. One of 2 retail games I've gotten all the achievements for, the other being Condemned (Collecting all the birds and metal was a hassle though).

!!!!!PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT PUT IN ANY MP ACHIEVEMENTS!!!!

Or if you absolutely must make them fairly easy just as a way to lure people into the MP mode. I hate when games like Gears of War or Rainbow 6 Vegas want you to put in dozens of hours of multiplayer for some silly 'Kill 1000 people such and such a way" achievement. Very very lame, and lazy.

Orellio said:
!!!!!PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT PUT IN ANY MP ACHIEVEMENTS!!!!

This.

Dead Space was such a clean, enjoyable experience. Please do not spoil it with the nonsense that goes on with people online.

Please, please don't put in multiplayer achievements.

Finished Dead Space for the first time the other day. Probably going to play through again sometime in the near future, but with school starting, Shadow Complex, the MAG beta, and Arkham Asylum hitting next week I'm not sure how soon it'll be. I never bought any other guns besides the Rifle thing though in my first play through. Definitely buying some others next time through for fun.

MacBosse said:
I wouldn't mind a separete little coop campaign but other than that. No.

It's resources better spent on cranking the single player experience up to something divine.

Companies associate multiplayer with replayability when they should be associating REPLAYABILITY with replayability.

Flesh out a New Game + mode, more difficiulty levels and even a few token alternative endings.

codecow

Out of curiosity why are you folks so against a Dead Space multiplayer feature?

I read the older thread on it, but with how awesome Uncharted 2 is looking (which also has a nice looking MP feature) despite similar initial grumblings from neogaf I'm wondering if there is something in particular about Dead Space?

I hear you on MP achievements. I'm currently playing MTG and it is difficult to get some of the Live achievements because people DC instead of letting you win and the game doesn't count a DC as a win (lame).

codecow

bigdaddygamebot said:
It's resources better spent on cranking the single player experience up to something divine.

Companies associate multiplayer with replayability when they should be associating REPLAYABILITY with replayability.

This is true, which is why I personally wouldn't add a MP feature to a product unless either:

1. There is a guy with money pointing a gun at my head.
2. I thought it would make the game better. **

** I like playing with and against other people, rarely do I get deeply into a single player only game these days.

They should make multiplayer the story mode, so the guy who loaded up single player is the main dude, while 31 or so other dudes join as monsters put into place, waiting to jump out........ plus we get to hear the main dude comms :lol

codecow said:

I read the older thread on it, but with how awesome Uncharted 2 is looking (which also has a nice looking MP feature) despite similar initial grumblings from neogaf I'm wondering if there is something in particular about Dead Space?

I hear you on MP achievements. I'm currently playing MTG and it is difficult to get some of the Live achievements because people DC instead of letting you win and the game doesn't count a DC as a win (lame).

I can only speak for myself here but Dead Space is "pure".

It's me against the game. Nothing else. The graphics and environments were tight and seemed to show that the developer had a sense of pride and ownership of the game they coded.

I'm not a developer so I don't know the ins and outs of it but if it takes a team of five guys to work on, and implement a multiplayer angle. (Be it co-op, be it VS, with people being the aliens etc...) I feel it would be better to put those five guys to work on fleshing out the single player aspect of the game instead.

Just because you're not ventilating some thirteen year old d-bag who shouldn't even own the fuckin' game to begin with doesn't mean that it's not going to sell well.

You guys dropped the ball in some respects regarding the New Game + as well as unlockables etc and putting in a robust set of options after completing the game would enhance the replayability far more than multiplayer.

I played the hell out of RE5. Well over a hundred hours and it wasn't because of the co-op. It was because of the unlockables and the fleshed out new game +.

As for multiplayer achievements...Infinity Ward proved that a game can be brilliant without multiplayer achievements and it would be nice if all developers followed their lead.

As much of a fuckin' crime against nature it is for the new Bioshock game to have multiplayer...the same could be said for Dead Space Two.

Ogs said:
They should make multiplayer the story mode, so the guy who loaded up single player is the main dude, while 31 or so other dudes join as monsters put into place, waiting to jump out........ plus we get to hear the main dude comms :lol

Activision might be hiring...you should send them a copy of your CV...

Jon

codecow said:

Personally for me, I think too many developers feel a need to "tack on" a multiplayer aspect to their game, without it making much sense. A co-op Dead Space would fit in with the theme of the game--you would just have two "Isaacs" instead of one. Isaac and another random dude. You could even flesh out that character and give him a reason to be there.

However, if there was a deathmatch mode, I do not feel it would represent the true feeling of Dead Space. You lose the horror aspect of it if there are multiple people running and gunning.

MrHicks

Banned
vitually NOBODY complained dead space didnt have multiplayer
if you want multiplayer theres a gazillion other options for your fix

survival horror games dont need multiplayer

silent hill doesnt need it
resident evil doesnt need it (RE5's mandatory co-op was TARDtastic) goobye atmosphere

and certainly dead space's isolation outer space atmosphere doesnt need to be ruined by it either

having said that its virtually 99% guaranteed dead space 2 will have some tack on co-op/multiplayer nobody asked for in the first place

hulot

codecow said:

Most people who are against multiplayer sequels to previously single-player only games primarily assume that the new addition will be just some fragfest (which is a legitimate concern but not something to dismiss something entirely for). With Dead Space, I think something akin to Aliens vs Predator, or more recently, Left 4 Dead, would be rather interesting, having a coop and adversarial element to it but at a much slower pace than either of those two games.

Truant

codecow said:

The fear is, for most of us, that the development of a MP feature will take away from the time and manpower needed to make the SP as good as it can be. Naturally, we have no clue how games are made, this is just based on what other developers have said in interviews, etc.

Truant said:
The fear is, for most of us, that the development of a MP feature will take away from the time and manpower needed to make the SP as good as it can be. Naturally, we have no clue how games are made, this is just based on what other developers have said in interviews, etc.

Yeah, and in my opinion, multi player is completely unnecessary in some games. Resident Evil 5 and MGS4 come to mind. Their MP didn't add much to the game, and if the possibility existed that the single player could have been improved if these games lacked MP, I think most people would greatly prefer that. Bioshock 2 falls into this category for me as well, but I'll reserve full judgement on that until I actually play it.

Nizz

Truant said:

ILOVEASIANS said:
Yeah, and in my opinion, multi player is completely unnecessary in some games. Resident Evil 5 and MGS4 come to mind. Their MP didn't add much to the game, and if the possibility existed that the single player could have been improved if these games lacked MP, I think most people would greatly prefer that. Bioshock 2 falls into this category for me as well, but I'll reserve full judgement on that until I actually play it.
These are great points. The days of intimate, single player experiences seem to be numbered. And that saddens me a bit. Could be because I'm in my late 30's, but I can still enjoy a tight, single player experience without any additional online modes in it.

But like it's been said, Uncharted 2 has multiplayer now, and people seemed to really enjoy it. Perhaps like someone said, an optional co-op mode (maybe something like Doom 3's co-op mode) where two people work together to get through the ship.

But completely optional, not forced into single player like RE5. To be fair, I only played the RE5 demo, but the fact that my AI partner died while I was busy covering my own ass kinda pissed me off.

But this horror genre especially, I love the intimate, solo experience. Which is why I loved Dead Space (among other reasons).

Carlisle

Just got this last night at Target. PS3 version was on clearance for $20. I hated the demo, but people still won't shut up about how good the full game is, so I just went for it on a whim. I only played maybe 15 minutes and ho-ly shit is this game great. Just those few minutes were infinitely better than my demo experience. Can't wait to get into the meat of the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I found a really cheap copy of the PC version and decided to go for another run.

The game looks really damn good at 1080p/60 fps with AF cranked. AA doesn't seem to make a huge difference (it looks as though it is enabled for some areas of the screen, but not everything), but it's still very sharp. The loading is also extremely quick in the PC version which means death does not result in much of a load screen.

Only complaint I have is the god awful default controls. The 360 pad support results in a massive dead zone on both analog sticks. It feels terrible. I use Pinnacle Game Profiler to override the stick support and lower the dead zone and now it feels much better. The game still doesn't quite feel as responsive as the console games, however.

SToRM

I'm at the beginning of chapter 9 now. I'm playing the game on medium difficulty with the Plasma Cutter only, which has been upgraded fully now (as well as all my equipment). I really love this game so far. I also like the way you get some change in gameplay every now and then.

codecow said:

First, I would like to congratulate you on making such an awesome game (you helped with the development I guess?). This is easily my top 3 game of this generation. Graphics, sound and atmosphere are really good.

I do have to agree that I'm against including a multiplayer in the sequel. The reason I think a multiplayer wouldn't work is because of the atmosphere of the singleplayer. It's you as a player alone against all kinds of aliens. The creepy atmosphere together with the excellent sound effects are what make this game and I don't think this can be recreated in multiplayer. This is my personal opinion and I have to add that I'm really the kind of player that prefers a good single player with a good story over multiplayer anytime.
Co-op could be nice if implemented well and I also think it is better to leave out any online trophies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Carlisle said:
Just got this last night at Target. PS3 version was on clearance for $20. I hated the demo, but people still won't shut up about how good the full game is, so I just went for it on a whim. I only played maybe 15 minutes and ho-ly shit is this game great. Just those few minutes were infinitely better than my demo experience. Can't wait to get into the meat of the game.
Told you!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Carlisle said:

Coincidentally, I got this in from GameFly today. Played for about an hour, and I think the game's made me shit my pants like 5 times already.

Yasae

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:

Flesh out a New Game + mode, more difficiulty levels and even a few token alternative endings.
/end of that discussion.

Minamu

To me, Dead Space was basically about atmosphere & horror. MP is usually about action & the cool parts gets thrown out the window. It's really hard to make a game scary if you're not alone tbh. And I was interested in DS for the atmospshere etc. Not for the action. The strategic dismemberment may have been the main gameplay focus but that was just a nice bonus for me ^^

The birds in condemned weren't so bad. There weren't that many of them anyway. The annoying part about that game was glitchy achievements. And that's a deadly sin :) I had to replay condemned twice because the game didn't want to unlock the achievements or the birds weren't possible to pick up in the first place etc. Irritating.

The achievements in DS was pretty good but did lack a tad of imagination but perhaps that's just because I take them a bit too seriously :) Anyone remember that flash game where you played as a blue elephant simply trying to get as many achievements as possible? :lol It had some cool ideas imho.

(it's 4AM, I could probably come up with something more substantial to say if the sun was up)

dark10x said:
I found a really cheap copy of the PC version and decided to go for another run.

The game looks really damn good at 1080p/60 fps with AF cranked. AA doesn't seem to make a huge difference (it looks as though it is enabled for some areas of the screen, but not everything), but it's still very sharp. The loading is also extremely quick in the PC version which means death does not result in much of a load screen.

Only complaint I have is the god awful default controls. The 360 pad support results in a massive dead zone on both analog sticks. It feels terrible. I use Pinnacle Game Profiler to override the stick support and lower the dead zone and now it feels much better. The game still doesn't quite feel as responsive as the console games, however.

The game is a prime example of completely fucked up mouse aim. For me it would be "okish" when locked at 30 FPS, but if i turn off vsync and it goes to 60, its better but when walking, it suddenly becomes near impossible to look around. Spoils an otherwise solid port.

I'm going through on Impossible again and wow, what an excellent game.
There's still a really awesome vibe to the game and some stuff is still getting me tweaked.

EA has been the bees knees once Peter Moore took over. Never thought I'd say it, but most of my favorite ones are from EA. Can't wait for #2.

Minamu

Buckethead said:
There's still a really awesome vibe to the game and some stuff is still getting me tweaked.

EA has been the bees knees once Peter Moore took over. Never thought I'd say it, but most of my favorite ones are from EA. Can't wait for #2.
I know what you mean. Heck, I've even started wishing I could get a job at EA in the future :lol

EA - going from zero to hero faster than anyone ever has :D

Buckethead said:

Impossible Mode is sooooo good.

The aliens become really tough and hit like trucks, forcing you to actually melee just to conserve ammo. You actually have to plan out fights in advance and it's so satisfying when you get through them.

Manp

Buckethead said:

isn't Peter Moore heading only the EA Sports division?

unless it's a sport game i think he had nothing to do with dead space

:)

butts

Ogs said:
The game is a prime example of completely fucked up mouse aim. For me it would be "okish" when locked at 30 FPS, but if i turn off vsync and it goes to 60, its better but when walking, it suddenly becomes near impossible to look around. Spoils an otherwise solid port.

(If you have an nvidia card) disable v-sync in-game and force v-sync in the nvidia control panel. It will be locked at 60 then, and aiming is perfectly smooth still. Better than locked at 30.

Yasae

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:

The aliens become really tough and hit like trucks, forcing you to actually melee just to conserve ammo. You actually have to plan out fights in advance and it's so satisfying when you get through them.
Sounds like I'd be terrible at impossible mode. :lol

bigdaddygamebot said:
Indeed. I'm a little rusty, but getting back into the swing for sure.
It's funny because your tip happened to me earlier twice. Got flanked and eesh. It was a quick reminder that I was on impossible. :lol

Yasae said:
Sounds like I'd be terrible at impossible mode. :lol
It depends. Mainly it just takes getting used to the game world and controls (if you haven't played it already).
Planning helps obviously and using stasis to conserve ammo and rationing med packs is a must.

On the whole, it's not too difficult. But then again I had CoD2 on Veteran and Mirror's Edge speedruns and time trials to build up my tolerance for pain in the arse difficulty.

Top Bottom