• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Almak

bigdaddygamebot said:
Impossible Mode is sooooo good.

The aliens become really tough and hit like trucks, forcing you to actually melee just to conserve ammo. You actually have to plan out fights in advance and it's so satisfying when you get through them.
Really? I felt the exact opposite. After trying it and realising just how many bad habits I picked up playing it on normal coupled with that one area in the very first chapter where I lost count how many times I restarted, I just said screw it I am not having fun. :/

Also I might as well say it right now, I feel like the story plot twist is fucking stupid.
The game spent so much time building on the fact that it is in fact an alien artefact (what with the cult and its seemingly pretty diverse back story) only to go ahead and at the very end say, hey you know what? No, it was man made.
What? :/

Nizz

I just started to play through this again, since I have a feeling I can get my first platinum trophy with this game. Since I'm continuing from my first playthrough on Normal, I used nodes and credits from the end of the first time through to rank up weapons, equipment, etc...

But last night I got to the
level where you have to defend the ship from the asteroids with the mounted cannon.
You have to survive that part
with the hull above 50% integrity
?

That's gonna be one of the trickier trophies to get, I think. I think the last trophy I'll try to get is the "finish the game on impossible" one. But I think I can do it...

fps fanatic said:
level where you have to defend the ship from the asteroids with the mounted cannon.
?

That's gonna be one of the trickier trophies to get, I think. I think the last trophy I'll try to get is the "finish the game on impossible" one. But I think I can do it...

Right. That was the 2nd to last achievement I picked up. I was terrible at it for a while but my past two play throughs I cleared 50% pretty easily. It can be a lot easier than people think.

Red

ILOVEASIANS said:
Right. That was the 2nd to last achievement I picked up. I was terrible at it for a while but my past two play throughs I cleared 50% pretty easily. It can be a lot easier than people think.
Huge tip: turn the brightness all the way up (maybe do this in your TV settings, too). It makes the asteroids a billion times easier to see coming.

Nizz

Crunched said:
Huge tip: turn the brightness all the way up (maybe do this in your TV settings, too). It makes the asteroids a billion times easier to see coming.
I'll have to try that, though it'll be on another playthrough since I've saved past that part already.

I also have two weapons I need 30 kills for each to get trophies, the Contact Beam and Flamethrower. My god, I didn't use the Flamethrower much the first time but it seems tough to get kills with it.

I guess the best time would be to use it against those small little creatures that can overtake you if you're not careful. But I always seem to run out of fuel quick...

mrpeabody

fps fanatic said:
I'll have to try that, though it'll be on another playthrough since I've saved past that part already.

I also have two weapons I need 30 kills for each to get trophies, the Contact Beam and Flamethrower. My god, I didn't use the Flamethrower much the first time but it seems tough to get kills with it.

I guess the best time would be to use it against those small little creatures that can overtake you if you're not careful. But I always seem to run out of fuel quick...
You can kill just about anything with the flamethrower if you freeze it, shoot it till it's almost dead, then flame it for the last few HP.

Frester

Just finished my first playthrough last night, loved it the whole way through. I need to finish up a few games before going back to Dead Space but I'm definitely going to 1000/1000 it.

Kydd BlaZe

Going for my pistols only run. Also have to max out all of my weapons and go through this bad boy on Impossible :D

I love Dead Space <3

^_^x Yashiro

Neo Member
i love this game, i purchase in the release date and unlock all achievements, i want to play again in the weekend :D , one of my favorites 360 games!

Kydd BlaZe

^Yup, this is my Game of the Generation. Followed very closely by Killzone 2, BioShock, and Mass Effect.

I still have yet to get 1000/1000...currently at 720, but i'll get there soon enough :D

MoxManiac

Just picked up the PS3 version at Target for $15. Will play after I finish Bioshock! I've been looking forward to getting this for awhile.

ImArd.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
Kydd BlaZe said:
Going for my pistols only run. Also have to max out all of my weapons and go through this bad boy on Impossible :D

I love Dead Space <3

The cutter is, in my opinion, the best weapon. I loved going through an entire playthough with it.

SToRM

I finished it a few days ago. Excellent game and I will replay it soon on impossible mode to get the platinum trophy.

SToRM

fps fanatic said:
I just started to play through this again, since I have a feeling I can get my first platinum trophy with this game. Since I'm continuing from my first playthrough on Normal, I used nodes and credits from the end of the first time through to rank up weapons, equipment, etc...

?

I finished the game on medium, but is it possible to continue with the same savegame on impossible?

so i just played this recently. i'd watched my housemate play 80-90% of the way through only to quit there. that was aaages ago, and since then i'd been toying with the idea but always had new games of my own to play. until now..

it was really cool. ]i'd picked up an idea of how i wanted to play it from watching his run, stuck with the cutter & linegun and spent all my cash on power nodes for them and the rig.

worked great, the cutter is so great that i hardly used the linegun. if i had of realised the acheivement was there i wouldn't have bothered with it. it's biggest use was grenades for the little squigglies and backup for when i ran out of cutter ammo..

played on normal, hardly used stasis - generally sold the packs to buy more nodes. i imagine it comes more into play on harder difficulties. overall impressed and i like the newgame+ carryover, so i can explore the other weapons now :D

the only complaint is the shepharding from task to task, though it clued me in to where to look for goodies
anywhere but where the game wants me to go

Nizz

SToRM said:
I finished the game on medium, but is it possible to continue with the same savegame on impossible?
I don't think it is. I played on Normal my first time through, and I started a new game+ at the same difficulty.

I'm trying to get a bunch of Trophies playing through the game again. I figured I'd leave it on Normal to get them.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/200698776/with-games-like-dead-space-dead-space-extraction
With games like Dead Space, Dead Space Extraction and Dante’s Inferno, Visceral Games is a return to an older identity and a realization of our future.

This M-rated action/shooter sequel will set new standards for an action-packed story-driven console experience. Our team values are as follows: Gameplay comes first, controller feel is everything, culture of creativity, be highly iterative, playtest early and often, learn from failure, work fast and smart, and surround ourselves with the best talent in the world.

The previous installment in the Dead Space franchise received numerous awards for gameplay, visuals, and sound design, and the same core team is in place to create an even better follow up.

The game is in the later stages of pre-production, ready for production in the next few months, with many of the navigational and combat mechanics in place. We have complete autonomy and creative control over our own decisions. The Games Label at EA is 100% committed to this IP, and has already worked on IP extensions such as comic, animated features, and action figures. We’re looking for a few more talented individuals to join, and take the game to new heights.

Miburou

I've finished the game (PS3 version) twice and reached chapter 4 on my 3rd playthough. I've gotten all trophies except for the Epic Tier 3 Engineer one (which I'll eventually go for).

Positives:
- Great sound mixing.
- Pretty good graphics that at times can be downright amazing (only marred by the occasional framrate dips).
- Lots of action, lots of weapons with alternatve firing modes, an ok mix of trophies.
- The floating UI looks pretty cool.
- Overall competently made game and technically very sound.

Now for the negatives:
- The game is very predictable and formulaic. I like games like Silent Hill and BioShock where the enemies don't seem like they've been waiting for you their entire life. They are literally like 3 instances in the whole game where you can sneak up on an enemy. The majority of the game has you entering a place, enemies jumping out at you and you getting rid of them. Or: do objective 1a, enemies come jumping out -> kill them. Do objective 1b -> enemies jump out -> kill them, rinse and repeat. This is pretty much how the whole game plays out. I was always reminded I was playing a game, with a predictable rhythm.

- Speaking of BioShock, I can't help but notice how it has "inspired" the game in more than one way. Whether it's the audio diaries, the health and ammo shops and upgrade bench, the propaganda ads, the game can't be said to have developed its own unique style.

So overall a fun and technically sound game that won't win any awards for originality.

Just platinumed this today. Played it back when it first came out on the Xbox and decided to pick it up for the PS3 earlier this week. Forgot how awesome this game is.

Manp

EnjoyIncubus said:
Just platinumed this today. Played it back when it first came out on the Xbox and decided to pick it up for the PS3 earlier this week. Forgot how awesome this game is.

i've finished it on the 360 and now i'm replaying the PC version... one of the few games i've bought twice.

this game is really great and the PC version at 1920x1080 at 60 fps (with D3D Overrider as recommended by someone earlier) is simply awesome!

:)

Yasae

Banned
Miburou said:
- Speaking of BioShock, I can't help but notice how it has "inspired" the game in more than one way. Whether it's the audio diaries, the health and ammo shops and upgrade bench, the propaganda ads, the game can't be said to have developed its own unique style.

So overall a fun and technically sound game that won't win any awards for originality.
Neither did Bioshock.

zoukka

I came here to apologize.

I was the one who blindly believed that RE5 would stomp this game in all aspects and mechanics. How wrong I was....

Dead Space is the best Jshooter in this gen.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Miburou said:
I was always reminded I was playing a game, with a predictable rhythm.
Better an occasional reminder then non-stop shouting like in most other games (especially most games in this genre). The one thing I admired about Deadspace is how most of gameplay elements feel like cohesive parts of the world and story, rather then well - gameplay elements.

I agree they could have gone easier on the triggered monsters though - there's only so far you can go with the "cinematic feel" excuse.

Miburou

Yasae said:
Neither did Bioshock.

And how exactly does that matter here? Would you feel better if the word 'BioShock' was substituted with 'System Shock 2' (or System Shock, or Half Life 2, or any combination of other games)? My point is that none of the elements of the game were really original (except for the floating GUI).

But that's not even my main point. My point is that the execution, structure and flow of the game is very predictable and rarely varied. Aside from the "bosses" you're pretty much doing the same thing over and over, with the same predictable outcome (and the instant path finding feature means you don't have to worry about exploration).

The game is still well done, which is why I enjoyed it to an extent and played it 2.33 times, but the aforementioned faults mean that I can't consider it a classic. It's not something that stays with me long after I've stopped playing the game.

I think I'm in the end of Chapter 9 and I need some help:

I'm at the part where you have to go to the engine room, I'm in there I think and the room is like on fire, I can barely make it to the end of the room (without dying) to go down some stairs into a room below the "fire room" but the wall in front me is all glass, and my navigator thing is telling me to go straight, but I can't...it's glass. Maybe I'm just being stupid and can't find my way out.

Can anyone help? I should probably just google it.

soldat7

Miburou said:
And how exactly does that matter here? Would you feel better if the word 'BioShock' was substituted with 'System Shock 2' (or System Shock, or Half Life 2, or any combination of other games)? My point is that none of the elements of the game were really original (except for the floating GUI).

But that's not even my main point. My point is that the execution, structure and flow of the game is very predictable and rarely varied. Aside from the "bosses" you're pretty much doing the same thing over and over, with the same predictable outcome (and the instant path finding feature means you don't have to worry about exploration).

The game is still well done, which is why I enjoyed it to an extent and played it 2.33 times, but the aforementioned faults mean that I can't consider it a classic. It's not something that stays with me long after I've stopped playing the game.

For me the pacing, controls, and atmosphere put Dead Space well above similar games. The method of taking down enemies and the no-gravity environments could all be considered original.

SuperJay

Dead Space was been an unexpected delight! I feel like almost everything about it has been done before, but it's done so well that it doesn't matter. Great game.

I might be making my second playthrough later in October. I'm in the habit of playing through one horror game every year close to halloween, and so far none of the new games are stepping up to the plate, so I might as well play deadspace again.

Deadspace is probably the best scary game I've played this gen. RE5 was a big dissapointment for scares and don't get me started on Silent Hill.

Top Bottom