• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

I need to go back to this game. I still need to get the 2 over 50% shield achievements and the Epic tier 3 engineer. I got a bit burnt out on it though as I completed on normal once to unlock the
military suit
then went through it on normal again to finish all the guns and to start the impossible mode with the
military suit
only for it to be downgraded when I started on impossible. :lol

Myr

Banned
I hate the military suit.

Looks cool, but doesn't fit the vibe of Dead Space at all. Sticking with the lvl 5 suit for my New Game+ run.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I want to throw this out to fans of Dead Space who wont/cant play Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii. Just a simple but cool little element at the end of Extraction that ties into the begining of Dead Space;
in Dead Space the crew gets a scrambled message before they crash land. In Extraction you are on board of an escape ship and one of your crew picks up the original Dead Space's contact message, and sends a message warning them not to land on the Ishimura.

A lot of what Issac has to fix or change in Dead Space is also explained in Extraction. For example, Issac has to
turn on the asteroid defence cannons due to damage to the ship
, while in Extraction the character
was the one who disabled them, in order to allow their escape ship to take off.

EatChildren said:
I want to throw this out to fans of Dead Space who wont/cant play Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii. Just a simple but cool little element at the end of Extraction that ties into the begining of Dead Space;
in Dead Space the crew gets a scrambled message before they crash land. In Extraction you are on board of an escape ship and one of your crew picks up the original Dead Space's contact message, and sends a message warning them not to land on the Ishimura.

A lot of what Issac has to fix or change in Dead Space is also explained in Extraction. For example, Issac has to

Hmm those are some interesting tidbits, kind of makes me want to play extraction now.

Miburou

Apocalyptatron said:
I think I'm in the end of Chapter 9 and I need some help:

I'm at the part where you have to go to the engine room, I'm in there I think and the room is like on fire, I can barely make it to the end of the room (without dying) to go down some stairs into a room below the "fire room" but the wall in front me is all glass, and my navigator thing is telling me to go straight, but I can't...it's glass. Maybe I'm just being stupid and can't find my way out.

Can anyone help? I should probably just google it.

You are being stupid! :p

You need to shoot out all those light switch thingies on the side, when you're pushing both objects forward to shield you from the flames. You should not get damaged by them at all. Only then can you go down the stairs and make it to your destination.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:

oh god, I'm a sucker for this sort of thing.

you know what? I'm buying Extraction tomorrow

Miburou

soldat7 said:
For me the pacing, controls, and atmosphere put Dead Space well above similar games. The method of taking down enemies and the no-gravity environments could all be considered original.

Well, the limb dismemberment thing felt like a gimmick to me, to be quite honest. Why does shooting an enemy's leg hurt it more than shooting it in the head? (and in some cases you can take an enemy out by one or two shots in the head, but not always). I appreciate temporarily cutting off the limbs of that certain enemy to buy yourself some time, but for the rest of the enemies it felt like it was different for difference's sake.

As for the zero gravity segments, you're right, those were pretty cool and unique. It's not really black and white that the game didn't do anything new (the GUI and the zero gravity bits were nice), but overall it didn't do anything new enough, and it felt predictable enough that my overall impression of the game still stands. Still the most enjoyable EA game I've ever played! :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Apocalyptatron said:
Hmm those are some interesting tidbits, kind of makes me want to play extraction now.
Rez said:
oh god, I'm a sucker for this sort of thing.

you know what? I'm buying Extraction tomorrow

You also get to meet
Nicole
:p.

Miburou said:
You are being stupid! :p

You need to shoot out all those light switch thingies on the side, when you're pushing both objects forward to shield you from the flames. You should not get damaged by them at all. Only then can you go down the stairs and make it to your destination.

Ah I figured it was something like that, I was too lazy to figure it out, thanks!

EatChildren said:
You also get to meet
Nicole
:p.

Don't you technically get to meet her in the original, Isaac see's her at some point, I haven't finished the game yet so maybe that was a trick, I don't care about spoilers if you wanted to correct me.

EatChildren

Apocalyptatron said:
Don't you technically get to meet her in the original, Isaac see's her at some point, I haven't finished the game yet so maybe that was a trick, I don't care about spoilers if you wanted to correct me.

Oh, yeah that. No need to 'correct' you. Just keep hacking at the awesome Dead Space, and if you can at some point, get your hands on Extraction afterwards.

Baron

I saw a copy of Dead Space (PS3) on clearance at a Target near me for $7.98. @_@

I paid the full $60 last October and it was worth every cent. Well, I hate the $60 price point but felt it was a great enough experience so I didn't regret it that much. Just a little vitriol. I almost picked up that second copy for 8 bucks, but that would mean $70 spent on Dead Space.

scitek

I just finished this yesterday. Was anyone else taken out of the experience by Issac's silence? I mean, he's supposedly got this really sensitive side, as implied by his repeated viewings of that video from Nicole, but he just completely ignores the survivors he encounters around the Ishimura, and watches emotionless as people are murdered right in front of him. I'd like for him to have at least punched the glass in frustration of not being able to help those people or something. I just thought it was really odd that you could still fuck around while something like that was going on and see how much of a fuck Isaac didn't give.

Miburou said:
Well, the limb dismemberment thing felt like a gimmick to me, to be quite honest. Why does shooting an enemy's leg hurt it more than shooting it in the head?

They are necromorphs, we will have to consult an alien virus physician to figure out why that is. Perhaps their heads are heavily armored and don't even contain anything vital to their survial. It's a video game, who cares.

scitek said:
I just finished this yesterday. Was anyone else taken out of the experience by Issac's silence? I mean, he's supposedly got this really sensitive side, as implied by his repeated viewings of that video from Nicole, but he just completely ignores the survivors he encounters around the Ishimura, and watches emotionless as people are murdered right in front of him. I'd like for him to have at least punched the glass in frustration of not being able to help those people or something. I just thought it was really odd that you could still fuck around while something like that was going on and see how much of a fuck Isaac didn't give.

If I were in his shoes I wouldn't give a shit about the other people either.

scitek

ScrabbleBanshee said:
If I were in his shoes I wouldn't give a shit about the other people either.

Come on, you'd fucking react to a guy shoving a knife into someone who was bound-and-gagged's forehead right in front of you.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
scitek said:
Come on, you'd fucking react to a guy shoving a knife into someone who was bound-and-gagged's forehead right in front of you.

Well, when you put it that way, I'm disturbed by YOUR silence during those parts. You had the option to swing your weapon at the glass and grunt in frustration, but you chose not to. :D

scitek

GuardianE said:
Well, when you put it that way, I'm disturbed by YOUR silence during those parts. You had the option to swing your weapon at the glass and grunt in frustration, but you chose not to. :D

Actually, I tried swinging to break the glass when the small Necromorph with the three tentacles first appears and kills a guy on the other side of the glass. It didn't work. Poor guy. :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Melhisedek said:
How scary is this game? Lets say compared to RE4? I can handle RE4 and 5 no problems. But not Silent hill :) No sir

Scarier than both RE4 and 5, but not as scary as Silent Hill (well, depends which Silent Hill).

Miburou

The game is basically a series of "dog through the window" moments that you'll probably be numb an hour or so in. :p

Actually regarding Isaac what never made sense to me is how
he has viewed the vid of Nicole several times but never gotten to the end and seen the truth about her
. and what exactly is that
Nicole like ghost that attacks him at the end? Pretty anticlimactic and seems just different for difference's sake.

scitek said:
I'm pretty sure that the designers were deliberately trying to emulate the Half-Life school of narrative protagonists--always silent, camera never leaves him--even though this is a 3rd-person game, not a 1st-person. I can see why for some people, it wouldn't work as well in 3rd-person since you can see your character right there. I didn't have any problem with it though.

Melhisedek said:
How scary is this game? Lets say compared to RE4? I can handle RE4 and 5 no problems. But not Silent hill :) No sir

For my friend, who had never really played any survival horror games, he shat his pants playing this.

For me, having played plenty, not a single thing scared me.

Gattsu25

Banned
How scary is Dead Space?

I played a bit more of it yesternight. I didn't find it scary at all. Around 1 hour into playing it I got a phone call from my cell which was in another room.

It was only ~1/2hr later that I realized that I turned on every light in my apartment when I went to answer that call and 'forgot' to turn them back off.

Yep, not scary at all.

epmode

It's not exactly scary (the orchestral score is about as subtle as an earthquake) but the atmosphere is excellent. VERY System Shock. ..just with less SHODAN.

Minamu

In the middle of night, in a pitch black room, with surround, it's pretty intense. It's been a while since I last played it but I don't remember any particular scary enemy encounters, except *that* boss near the end. It's mostly intense in a "oh shit I don't wanna die, reload goddamnit!" kind of way :) That never got old for me. The sound design is top notch.

Oh and the lighting. My god, the lighting :)

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I just got a text document in chapter 10 that talks about how
A Scientology sounding sect had built a bunch of huge ships and gone out illegally looking for this conspiratorial beacon, how they were altering people, who were "dying to be saved" and then being turned into the monsters on the ship. etc... Basically a what if there were Ron Hubbard type dude who was both crazy as hell, and also right.

If they would have given you that nugget of info at the start of the game, the whole story would have been more interesting, and the game a whole lot more immersive and fun. If it had been set up as this Scientology cult group out in space, who had built giant illegal spaceships and then gone off on a quest for the beacon or whatever it's called, I just think everything would have made more sense. Instead, they bury that interesting document in a text log, and as far as I am into the story, it's the one thing that made the most sense. It should have been spelled out better. I would have cared a lot more about what was going on, and what I was seeing. As it is, when you start it's just a derelict spaceship that you know far too little about. I know, they were shooting for the Bioshock mystery element, but it just doesn't work well for some reason.

teiresias

drakesfortune said:
I just got a text document in chapter 10 that talks about how
A Scientology sounding sect had built a bunch of huge ships and gone out illegally looking for this conspiratorial beacon, how they were altering people, who were "dying to be saved" and then being turned into the monsters on the ship. etc... Basically a what if there were Ron Hubbard type dude who was both crazy as hell, and also right.

If they would have given you that nugget of info at the start of the game, the whole story would have been more interesting, and the game a whole lot more immersive and fun. If it had been set up as this Scientology cult group out in space, who had built giant illegal spaceships and then gone off on a quest for the beacon or whatever it's called, I just think everything would have made more sense. Instead, they bury that interesting document in a text log, and as far as I am into the story, it's the one thing that made the most sense. It should have been spelled out better. I would have cared a lot more about what was going on, and what I was seeing. As it is, when you start it's just a derelict spaceship that you know far too little about. I know, they were shooting for the Bioshock mystery element, but it just doesn't work well for some reason.

I can't really agree with this. The game starts out as essentially in the style of the movie "Alien" with you focused on survival. The motivations and circumstances surrounding how things got this way are pretty much secondary to your character. Besides, by the time you get to the text log you're talking about the backstory is pretty much spelled out for you in other ways - I certainly didn't find the particular one you're citing extremely revelatory.

If Mercer's behavior and monologues hadn't clued you in on the whole church/scientology plot I suppose you needed that text log to clear it up, but the dialog from Mercer pretty much spelled it out for you long before you got to Chapter 10. Besides, the Captain's logs indicate the company itself isn't involved with the church and they were only there illegally for illegal mining, the church didn't send them there.

Anony

okay, i just marathoned half the game
i stopped at chapter 7 around 9 months
i just finished chapter 7-12 in 2-3 days

i forgot most of ch 1-7, so that left me with trying to recall forgotten event while i was playing
it didnt help that i kept ignoring text logs from ch 1-7 and some of 7-12

someone give me a tl;dr of:
the religion thing? i think i got most of it, but probably wrong
what happened to the 'leader/priest' guy that issac was chasing, he nailed the guy in the chair and ran off, then never saw him again
at the end, was that alien-nicole that attacked issac

the graphics were good thanks to good art, good character design, good environment
audio was superb, voice acting same
everything is so well put together
1 thing i noticed (pc verison), the suit and everything looks good, but when up close, the low texture was so noticeable

the last boss... was so easy, i almost beat it, then it crashed, i played it again, and i got perfect health, all there is to it is
strafing
, kinda anticlimactic difficulty wise
i had more trouble when hordes of aliens were coming at me
i have fully upgraded main weapon, and almost-fully upgrade ripper with full health upgrades
i didnt bother with the other weapons, didnt seem that interesting, i didnt want a gun per say
maybe on my 2nd playthrough

anyways, FUCKEN AWESOME GAME, best new ip this generation
now off to wii prequel, i had to marathon the game so i can play extraction
it's gonna be sad, 3rd person is too good

Yasae

Banned
epmode said:
It's not exactly scary (the orchestral score is about as subtle as an earthquake)
Okay but that's exactly the creator's intention. You don't like it, but obviously they did.

GAF:

Learn intention.

LEARN intention.

Learn INTENTION.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Just completed Dead Space: Extraction the other day. The game was superb.

If you have a Wii and are a fan of Dead Space then definitely pick it up or give it a play through. Even though it is a prequel I recommend going through Dead Space first and then move on to Extraction.

It is a completely different Dead Space experience but it is just as important to the Dead Space universe. It can be action packed and slow paced when needed but has excellent characters, set pieces and is a superb story driven game. Events tied to and linking up to the follow up game make it a must for fans of the series.

I completed Dead Space a while back so I was really hoping Extraction wouldn't let me down.

It didn't.

codecow

faceless007 said:
I'm pretty sure that the designers were deliberately trying to emulate the Half-Life school of narrative protagonists--always silent, camera never leaves him--even though this is a 3rd-person game, not a 1st-person. I can see why for some people, it wouldn't work as well in 3rd-person since you can see your character right there. I didn't have any problem with it though.

You would be correct in your assumption.

It's worth mentioning Amazon has this game listed for $19.99. So for the very few that have yet to play this game, do yourself a favor and pick it up.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Finally got my Platinum over the weekend. Is it a coincidence that my Platinum trophy just so happens to be my 666th trophy? :lol

ScrabbleBanshee said:
They are necromorphs, we will have to consult an alien virus physician to figure out why that is. Perhaps their heads are heavily armored and don't even contain anything vital to their survial. It's a video game, who cares.

plus its an opportunity to be unique with their engine physics and incorporate that into the gameplay.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yasae said:
Okay but that's exactly the creator's intention. You don't like it, but obviously they did.

GAF:

Learn intention.

LEARN intention.

Learn INTENTION.
how can one criticise anything creative if the artist plays the 'but that was my intent' card? it's a slippery slope. ;)

Anony

Rez said:
how can one criticise anything creative if the artist plays the 'but that was my intent' card? it's a slippery slope. ;)
huh

okay, so if you read a story, and dont like the ending, whose fault is that?
the author obviously had a set story planned out, it's the reader who didnt like the ending

just because the reader doesnt like it, it shouldnt mean the author should change anything because that's that the author originally intended to do

reader: 'oh hay, why the fuck did XXXXXXX character die, this is retarded'
author: 'lol, u dont like it? HE LIVES'

nope, it just doesnt work that way

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Anony said:
huh

the author obviously had a set story planned out, it's the reader who didnt like the ending

just because the reader doesnt like it, it shouldnt mean the author should change anything because that's that the author originally intended to do

It's not a matter of "fault." It's a matter of what's good or poor design choice. Once any form of media is published, it's out of the creator's hands and is open to interpretation by the public. THEY get to determine what's good and what's bad, and the intent hardly matters anymore. Just because a game was intended to have a good design choice doesn't mean it has a good design.

That said, I really liked the way Dead Space did it.

OK, so I'm about to beat the game and I just had a few questions.

1. What was everyone's play time, I'm not finished yet but I'm at about 10.5 hours.

2. I purchased the Heavy Damage weapon pack, so when I play my new game+ I know I can use that right from the start, and the military suit assuming I have enough credits, my question is can I use only the Heavy Damage Plasma Cutter to get the "beat the game using Plasma Cutter only trophy" or do I have to use the regular not maxed out one?

Anony said:
huh

Like Wesker ? :lol Yeah he should of stayed dead in the 1st game......

Also @ Apoc, i think it took me about 12 hours first playthrough.

I finally picked this up on 360 since it's $20.

3D menus, video logs, and HUD overlays - awesome
Putting the lifebar on your spine - awesome
Going for limb shots - awesome
Stasis module - awesome

I'm in chapter 3... so far this feels like Doom 3 done right.

Oh, and the right-click "go this way" blue line is pretty rad too.

codecow said:
You would be correct in your assumption.

Pretty cool to get official confirmation of my guess. :D

Out of curiosity, do you know if the design of the opening sequence/credits was also inspired by Half-Life? The way the credits appear, fading in on the sides of the screen while the player gets acclimated to the environment, reminded me of HL as well. I'm not criticizing it; I think it's a cinematic approach that works well.

codecow

faceless007 said:
Pretty cool to get official confirmation of my guess. :D

Out of curiosity, do you know if the design of the opening sequence/credits was also inspired by Half-Life? The way the credits appear, fading in on the sides of the screen while the player gets acclimated to the environment, reminded me of HL as well. I'm not criticizing it; I think it's a cinematic approach that works well.

Half-Life was definitely discussed yes. I still remember firing up the original Half-Life for the first time taking the tram in to Black Mesa as the credits played and I thought it was sweet! It was a big deal for EA to let us throw credits in as part of the game instead of burying them in a UI menu.

Ra\/en

I won't make a Lttp thread for this game, because I don't have enough to say about it. However, I just started playing it after I found it for 20 bucks new. It's fantastic! It's had me saying "shit shit shit!" so many times so far, and I'm only about 3 hours in. Blows RE5 out of the water in terms of scares. The graphics are surprisingly beautiful as well. The first time I went into vacuum and saw the floating bits and pieces with muted sound and the stars/planets I stopped and stared for at least 20 seconds or so:lol , despite my rapidly depleting o2.

The game sometimes really makes me feel like I'm in space. No game I've played thus far has given me that alone.... Alien vibe. In fact, If I could change one thing about the game, I would pretty much remove all of the chatter and input from my co-workers.. I would just make myself completely and utterly alone.

Minamu

TONX said:
Finally got my Platinum over the weekend. Is it a coincidence that my Platinum trophy just so happens to be my 666th trophy? :lol
It's probably a coincidence, yes. This game doesn't have demons in it nor is it connected to Hell/Satan in any way :)

And I agree regarding that the game having a silent main character hurts it more than it helps. I've never been able to understand how it would be more immersive. It makes no sense. Trying to infuse the character with my own emotions & responses by staying silent may work on paper, but in reality, it just pisses me off & i keep on wondering why the **** he isn't reacting to the awesome things happening to him. And in such a situation, most of us would scream & go insane pretty fast (not to mention die 2 rooms away). So *why* isn't Isaac doing that if the whole point is to make him channel our own feelings? o_O I just don't see the logic in mimicing Half-Life in that regard :lol In fact, if Half-Life have been criticized for one thing over the years, it's the very same thing. The only time when Gordon being silent was funny was when Alyx commented on him (I refuse to say me) being the silent type in the early parts of HL2. If I could take a talkative character like that dude from Prey or Riddick from his own game, over random silent guy, I'd go with the first ones any day of the week.

Same thing goes for main characters in JRPGs who doesn't have a first name (when everyone else does). It's annoying. The freedom of being able to choose a name on my own isn't worth a whole lot to me tbh. It works okay in, let's say, Oblivion, because you actually make your own character, down to the wrinkles on his or hers forehead. It doesn't work in games like Persona 4 or Suikoden. Especially not when they get an "official" name through mangas or animes anyway.

Which brings me back to Isaac & Gordon actually having names. That in itself is enough to prove that we are playing someone else & not ourselves. Which, to me, is enough to make that immersion go away. I am me & they are themselves with established personalities. And seeing them being apathetic about everything going on around them is no fun, to put it bluntly :) So, for the sake of immersion, credibility gets thrown out the window. And that's totally not worth it for me. We need enough suspension of disbelief as it already is. Having to play as a puppeteer at the same time as having a good time, is pushing it :)

tl dr version; Silent characters are boring. And that should be enough justification for *not* using them anymore no matter how good it looks on paper.

Top Bottom