• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

bigswords

plagiarize said:
plays better on a gamepad does not = sloppy port. not in my book. survival horror is better on a pad. games where you have to hold a button to aim your weapon just don't feel right on a mouse and keyboard. never have.

Although I love Dead Space on the 360 but your logic is flawed, because of the following game below.

COD 4 PC.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the launch trailer and I'm definitely going to grab it Friday (PC version). If I could afford it I'd grab it tonight with Saints Row 2.

GreekWolf

We'll all be having a chuckle if some random, no-name EA game ends up being what RE5 was supposed to be.

and then we'll cry

The game just got delivered. Unfortunately, I heard the dreaded rattle when I opened the envelope it came in. Thankfully, no scratches or scuffs to be found on the disc (go BD, go). Art book kicks ass. I probably won't get some quality time with it until the weekend since I'm busy most of the week.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GreekWolf said:
We'll all be having a chuckle if some random, no-name EA game ends up being what RE5 was supposed to be.

and then we'll cry
You're in for a nice surprise in March. ;)

BeeDog

MyEpitomeCliché said:
The game just got delivered. Unfortunately, I heard the dreaded rattle when I opened the envelope it came in. Thankfully, no scratches or scuffs to be found on the disc (go BD, go). Art book kicks ass. I probably won't get some quality time with it until the weekend since I'm busy most of the week.

It would be swell with some PS3 impressions. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's times like these I REALLY wish they brought the Australian release forward as well.

mrlogical

Has anyone been able to find this in stores? I wanted to swing by Best Buy to pick it up after work today, but BestBuy.com lists it as arriving in stores tomorrow (can't do in-store pickup, only pre-order). Same with Gamestop. And I canceled my Amazon preorder because it was listed as not shipping until Thursday. I thought this was supposed to be in stores today. Is it that these stores' websites are just wrong and I'll be able to buy it if I go in to Best Buy or Gamestop tonight?

HiResDes

BeeDog said:
Just listen to the 360 impressions, and imagine that the person giving it was holding a DS controller instead of a 360 controller, and you are done. You know which controller you prefer, the only real difference is going to be if you are extremely concerned with the quality of the audio.

BeeDog

HiResDes said:
Just listen to the 360 impressions, and imagine that the person giving it was holding a DS controller instead of a 360 controller, and you are done. You know which controller you prefer, the only real difference is going to be if you are extremely concerned with the quality of the audio.

I don't have a 360, so that part is easy for me. Just want to see if the PS3 ver. stacks up, since I don't trust IGN's comparison.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kabuki Waq said:
Probably somewhere in his dwelling.

BeeDog said:
I don't have a 360, so that part is easy for me. Just want to see if the PS3 ver. stacks up, since I don't trust IGN's comparison.
The Gamestop manager I talked to said both versions are identical. He is kinda picky but nothing stood out except maybe the audio on the PS3 sounded better. Otherwise no worries. Put this in the OP or something TC so it can stop being asked. Less clutter.

BeeDog

LiquidMetal14 said:
The Gamestop manager I talked to said both versions are identical. He is kinda picky but nothing stood out except maybe the audio on the PS3 sounded better. Otherwise no worries. Put this in the OP or something TC so it can stop being asked. Less clutter.

I know my question may have been redundant, but I hadn't read any true GAF PS3 impressions yet (since everyone seemed to base their answers from the IGN or EG reviews/comparisons). Good to hear it though.

garath

BeeDog said:
I know my question may have been redundant, but I hadn't read any true GAF PS3 impressions yet (since everyone seemed to base their answers from the IGN or EG reviews/comparisons). Good to hear it though.

An earlier poster said he was playing the PS3 version and it was great.

LiquidMetal14

BeeDog said:
No worries, I know some genuinely want to know the main things. I could care less whether the textures (or a texture, for the uber picky ones) match up if the game play is intact.

called my local Besbuy. They sold out of the non pre-orders they got, but my pre-order is safe behind the desk.

Picking it up after work, wooooo.

RavenFox

Banned
BeeDog said:

linsivvi said:
Well I just finished chapter 1 (PS3 version) and I can say if the rest of the game remains this good, this is definitely among the best survival horrors out there. Some impressions below and I'm not going to bother with spoiler tags, so read at your own peril.

There's no installation required, mandatory or otherwise. It started with about 20 seconds of loading, then you watch the cutscene and a very smooth transition into game play. There's no loading within the game except in between chapters. Although you can say the elevators rides are the loading part, just like Mass Effect (though not as long).

It take a while getting used to the 3rd person view with the character standing a bit to the left, and the pop up menu that moves with your right stick. The 3d map is confusing and kinda useless, but one thing I like about the game is if you press the R3 button anytime during the game, it shows you a path to your next mission objective.

The gun play is pretty much like a standard 3rd person shooter, and there's not much to fault here. The atmosphere is where the game shines. The smart use of sound effects, shadow and lightning makes sure you always have to look around corner and at your back at all times. So far, the game gives me a very strong Alien vibe, both in terms of environment and plot. Though I must say the voice acting and script, while acceptable, ruins the atmosphere a little bit. I wish the 2 crew members would just shut up already.

The only problem I have with the game right now is once I switched to the DLC scorpion suit (given for free in my version of the game), I can't switch back to the old one. Hopefully I can do that in later chapters of the game.

EA Redwood Shores has done one of the best jobs I've seen of making sure their game runs equally well on the 360 and PS3. The game looks great, sounds great, and plays great on both platforms. Neither version is missing a crucial feature, and EA has outdone most other major third party publishers by including Trophy support in the PS3 version. The game runs identically on both platforms, and controls equally as well on either controller. You'll be able to save yourself a few seconds when loading a saved game on the PS3 version, but this isn't something you'd notice unless you were actively timing it. Ultimately, the PS3 and 360 version of the game will deliver an identically entertaining and atmospheric experience.
:)

BeeDog

Thanks! Damn I'm so freakin' tempted to buy this gameeeeieIEIEiehrehihe

Dead Space
LBP
Resistance 2
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

and probably some other PC-centric games. ARhghghghghg

McLovin

BeeDog said:
Thanks! Damn I'm so freakin' tempted to buy this gameeeeieIEIEiehrehihe

Dead Space
LBP
Resistance 2
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

and probably some other PC-centric games. ARhghghghghg
Prince of Persia, CoD5, and Mirrors Edge are right around the corner too.. gonna be broke as hell this holiday season:(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I want to know if the game is region free... Neither Play Asia or VGplus have updated their game page, are there any other sites that give this info? I want to know whether to order asap

SOLDIER

It was a bit hidden, but yeah I see it. Good to know. Sounds like overall the PS3 version has a slight edge with audio and load times.

Which is good because the PS3 exclusive suit looks much cooler.

Banned
SOLDIER said:
It was a bit hidden, but yeah I see it. Good to know. Sounds like overall the PS3 version has a slight edge with audio and load times.

Which is good because the PS3 exclusive suit looks much cooler.

Why do people keep saying this? Has any review said that?

LiquidMetal14

Karma said:
Why do people keep saying this? Has any review said that?
Reviews tend to skew the game or exclude the picky things people post here on GAF. I would take the audio thing to heart but when both games play identical no one loses.

For the record I'm going on some impressions here and from the manager at my local store who played it already.

McLovin said:
If this is on steam.. I'm gonna buy it within the hour. If not then I guess I'm getting the ps3 version.

Consider the retail PC release doesn't come out until next week, even if it is on Steam, you won't see it until next week.

Also, the fact that there are no pre-orders make me think it won't happen. :(

HugBasket

Banned
Iced_Eagle said:
Consider the retail PC release doesn't come out until next week, even if it is on Steam, you won't see it until next week.

and you know.. EA

McLovin

Iced_Eagle said:

Yeah I'm getting the ps3 version. But its stupid on EA's part not to release it on steam(if that is the case) I only buy my PC games on steam. The only exception was Crysis.. the first game I got to test my pc. Got that one at EB.

Banned
RavenFox said:
Its just the norm with PS3 sound. The game supports DTS and if you own a PS3 you know what that means.

The Xbox 360 is capable of DTS decoding and output via Toslink or HDMI. If Dead Space is only doing DTS then the audio should be the same on both versions.

pr0cs said:
I was sort of in the same situation when I preordered it. I wanted to save money but at that time there weren't any platform comparisons. I just picked the 360 version because in the past I've lucked out (GTA4). If i had the luxury I would have waited because I really prefer how the PS3 handles audio, a big piece of likely what makes this game all kinds of awesome.
Yeah, I ehard the sound design/audio of this game is fantastic so the PS3 might have the upper hand there. All the same, I am impatient and will get the 360 version.

Guled

wow, the launch trailer just sold me on the game. So is there any difference between the 360 and PS3 versions, which should I pick up

Top Bottom