• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

mileS

Still wasn't quite sure If I should get this or not until I watched the launch trailer.

I'm sold! I'll pick it up tomorrow.

newsguy

Zeliard said:
So just how extensive is the dismembering?

I would like to know this as well. I saw the videos and it seems like alot of legs and torsos. Is it very specific or is it like Half Life 2 where it just cuts off whatever is in the vicinity.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Projenitor said:
When did you start playing?
Dah....1 PM? I took a break for lunch? I think the game clock has 3:30 registered.

Zeliard said:
So just how extensive is the dismembering?

Super extensive. It dismembers enemies where you hit them when you hit them in real time. You can chop off arms with extreme precision. Put an enemy in stasis and you can continue to hack them up even when they're dead :lol

I've seen legs cut off, arms cut off, hands/extremities, and then torsos. Also, Isaac can be decapitated so I want to say enemies can as well. The animations for all that stuff are quite impressive.

Banned
Papercuts said:
Just noticed the Elite Suit is up on the marketplace now.

Thank you. Downloaded. I see the Scorpion Suit is there as well. Was the Free Scorpion Suit Redeem code only given out by GameStop?

Y2Kev

beelzebozo said:
thanks for making the last few hours of this day that much longer, kev. you fuck.

Aww. :)

I was playing before and I was backtracking and I was like, "God, there is so much shit everywhere in this room." There was even some randomly cut arm placed on a desk in the corner. And then I realized that I cut the arm :lol

All horror games must go hudless if possible.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that shit sounds so ace. more than anything i'm totally stoked that they've created and maintained a nice sense of atmosphere and mood from what i understand. long after i've finished games like that, it's the atmosphere that i remember when i'm sitting around reminiscing with buddies about how cool it all was, and what makes me get the itch to pop it back in for a replay.

Y2Kev

Yeah, the gameplay transitions are seamless too and that makes it very impressive. It reminds me of Bioshock in that way (except it's not first person, obviously) in that the game begins right as the opening cutscene ends (and the opening cutscene looked so good you can't believe it's playable...). The game also takes it a bit further with the way it animates Isaac...using the store, using the workbench, and all the context-sensitive actions are all animated in a way that never make you feel out of control even though they are temporarily taking control from you.

I don't think there's been an explicit "cutscene" since I took over control of Isaac. It's very impressive.

The story is not as ambitious as a Bioshock, so I suppose it's easier for EA to accomplish what it was going after, but considering they go a level even further than 2k Boston did in terms of hudless, seamless gameplay, I find it very impressive. The game uses audiologs and some textlogs just like Bioshock, and you can continue to play the game normally as you listen.

I don't really have any complaints so far.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
and you just know it's going to sell well. and that e.a. will greenlight another game for this team with a 30% higher budget.

:D

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Y2Kev said:
Yeah, the gameplay transitions are seamless too and that makes it very impressive. It reminds me of Bioshock in that way (except it's not first person, obviously) in that the game begins right as the opening cutscene ends (and the opening cutscene looked so good you can't believe it's playable...). The game also takes it a bit further with the way it animates Isaac...using the store, using the workbench, and all the context-sensitive actions are all animated in a way that never make you feel out of control even though they are temporarily taking control from you.

I don't think there's been an explicit "cutscene" since I took over control of Isaac. It's very impressive.

The story is not as ambitious as a Bioshock, so I suppose it's easier for EA to accomplish what it was going after, but considering they go a level even further than 2k Boston did in terms of hudless, seamless gameplay, I find it very impressive. The game uses audiologs and some textlogs just like Bioshock, and you can continue to play the game normally as you listen.

I don't really have any complaints so far.

Ah, so no philosophical undertones or overarching themes that reveal something about human condition (or anything of the like)?

Y2Kev

beelzebozo said:
and you just know it's going to sell well. and that e.a. will greenlight another game for this team with a 30% higher budget.

:D
It better! I hope people don't pass it over in favor of something with multiplayer.

Dirty: At least so far there have been no implicit comments on the human condition :)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Gonna get it whenever it comes out in Aus, is it actually a bit spooky? the vids on Qore made everything seem a bit bright and stuff........ not looking for Doom 3 darkness but something to intensify the mood.

NameIess

I got a new copy sitting on the gaming pile...
Since I picked this up & Socom today I got more games to play than time.

Also, Fallout and LBP are around the corner so I will have a backlog of shit to play over the next few months. It would be cool if developers could release games throughout the year instead of a holiday season blast of titles. Fortunately I can afford to buy all the games, but many have to rent or not play games, because they all come out in a 60 day window...

I'm guessing the exclusive armors count as an alternate skin for the level 2 RIG. Can anyone else confirm? At the first shop in the game I 'bought' the Obsidian armor since it was free, and then the level 2 RIG disappeared from the store.

I'm liking the game so far. It's like a nice blend of Bioshock and Doom 3. But has anyone noticed that some of the musical audio alerts in the game have really bad timing issues? It really takes you out of the experience when the scary orchestrated music blurt happens a second after the monster appears onscreen :lol

Here you go. Dead Space PS3 VS Xbox 360 (Insider)

Features:

Dead Space is all about the single-player campaign. EA Redwood Shores has put a lot of effort into crafting a memorable and immersive narrative with Dead Space and every feature in the game functions to support that story-driven experience. When you load in the disc, you'll be able to tweak a few basic audio visual options (i.e. screen brightness, inverted aim, subtitles), watch the credits, or dive right into the single player game. Initially there are three difficulty settings to choose from, though once you beat the game you'll unlock an even more punishing difficulty. All of these features are available on both the PS3 and 360 version of the game.

The 360 version of the game also offers 1000 Achievement points, but EA has made sure to match this system level feature with full Trophy Support on the PS3. If you're used to spending hours chasing down the full complement of achievements in a game, you'll be able to do so in both versions of the game. The PS3 version also supports rumble if you have a DualShock 3 controller, which adds a great layer of tension and urgency to the dark and shadowy confrontations. There is no multiplayer mode in either version of the game. When you load a saved game you'll see a "scanning for downloadable content" message, but at this time there is no downloadable content for either version. The PS3 and 360 versions are ultimately feature-identical.

Overall
1. Xbox 360 & PS3

Control:

While a great deal of energy and attention has been paid to the atmosphere and presentation in Dead Space, the controls are relatively straight forward for a third-person shooter. You'll move and aim with the analog sticks, switch weapons with the D-pad, reload, interact with doors and control panels, and use med packs with the face buttons. Because of the unique shoulder button configuration on the 360 controller, the shoulder buttons are reversed on the PS3. On the 360 you'll hold down the left trigger to aim down sight, use the left bumper to run, and fire with the right trigger. When you're not aiming down-sight the right bumper and trigger button will perform a gun whip and stomp move respectively.

On the PS3 you'll run by holding the L2 button and go into aim down-sight mode with the L1 button. The R1 button is used to fire and when not in aim mode, the R1 and R2 buttons perform melee and stomp moves. You can also use secondary fire for all of your weapons by hitting the right bumper on the 360 or the R2 button on the PS3 controller. There are no additional motion controls in the PS3 version. Ultimately both control schemes work equally well. If you have a preference for one controller over another you may find yourself most comfortable with that one, but I found the game to be equally playable with either controller.

Overall
1. Xbox 360 & PS3

Graphics:

If there's one category that should matter most for a game like Dead Space it's the graphics. So which version is better? EA Redwood Shores has done an outstanding job of making sure the game looks and runs identically on both consoles. Dead Space is brought to life with an impressive lighting model, high-resolution textures, and a remarkably detailed character model for Isaac. The color palate is comparatively limited to the industrial grays and blacks of a futuristic space station, but the significant amount of environmental detail is always impressive.

The 360 and PS3 versions of the game are all but indistinguishable. There is a small difference in the ways each render color, but with Dead Space's flexible brightness customization, you should be able to get an equally impressive image with both versions. Dead Space doesn't always have the smoothest framerate. You'll notices some hitches if you make wide camera swings in new areas. There's also a bit of slowdown in some rooms with a lot of enemies. This happened in equal measure on both the 360 and PS3. Videophiles might have some issues with the slowdown, but I actually found it enhanced the play experience, exacerbating the sense of fear and helplessness. Finally, you'll get a terrifically detailed and atmospheric game on both consoles, neither is inherently better than the other.

Overall
1. Xbox 360 & PS3

Sound:

As technically impressive as the visuals are in Dead Space, the sound design may be even better. You can imagine the kind of perverse glee an audio designer must have when getting to work on a sci-fi horror game, with all of the creaks, shrieks, robotic whirs, and guttural cries for help that help to bring the graphics to life. Dead Space has a remarkably layered soundtrack, making terrific use of ambient sound working with a parsimoniously applied orchestral score to create a dread-filled mood that is fantastically consistent throughout the game. I played each version of Dead Space in three different set-ups and was hard-pressed to notice any significant differences in the soundtrack. Each version of the game has a terrific sense of audio depth, with great use of panning sounds from left to right. Most gamers will get an identical high quality audio experience with either version of the game.

Overall
1. Xbox 360 & PS3

Presentation:

Like most of the other categories in this Head-To-Head, there are no real differences in presentation between the 360 and PS3 versions of Dead Space. The menus present identically in both versions, which isn't surprising given the straight-forward feature list. The PS3 version of the game doesn't require an install, so you'll be able to start playing as soon as you put the disc in. There aren't really any cutscenes or cinematics as all the story sequences unfold in-game from the player's point of view. This is identical in both versions of the game.

Dead Space does have some frustrating load times. If you die and have to restart you'll be greeted with a painfully long loading screen that only adds to your frustration at having died. The PS3 version loads in a little more quickly from previous save files, but otherwise the load times are pretty similar. Dead Space has done something interesting with in-game menus for item management. All in-game menus appear as holograms in front of Isaac rather than pulling players into a static pause menu. Likewise, you'll be alerted to collectible items in the environment with a blue hologram. This functions identically in both versions of the game. While the games are ninety-nine percent identical in this category, the PS3's slightly faster load times when booting a save file are enough to give it a small victory here.

Overall
1. PS3
2. Xbox 360

Overall:

EA Redwood Shores has done one of the best jobs I've seen of making sure their game runs equally well on the 360 and PS3. The game looks great, sounds great, and plays great on both platforms. Neither version is missing a crucial feature, and EA has outdone most other major third party publishers by including Trophy support in the PS3 version. The game runs identically on both platforms, and controls equally as well on either controller. You'll be able to save yourself a few seconds when loading a saved game on the PS3 version, but this isn't something you'd notice unless you were actively timing it. Ultimately, the PS3 and 360 version of the game will deliver an identically entertaining and atmospheric experience.

Overall
1. Xbox 360 & PS3

Magik

Someone needs to rename the title to: "Dead Space - Drop-kicking babies one at a time"

Or something like that. :lol

KGKK

Banned
I just bought this game and for hype just finished watching the animated comics. They were awesome and I'm loving the story so far. Gotta wait till I'm alone and it is late to set the mood for the game:D

Raistlin

Damn, my local EB didn't have it in (or is holding out) ... and I'll be away tomorrow T_T

This sucks ... I have to wait until Friday.

Captain N

KGKK said:
I just bought this game and for hype just finished watching the animated comics. They were awesome and I'm loving the story so far. Gotta wait till I'm alone and it is late to set the mood for the game:D

are the animated comics worth it?

Sallokin

FUCK not a single store in Colorado Springs has it. My local Game Crazy said they may get it in the next hour or so but I doubt that highly.

KGKK

Banned
Captain N said:
are the animated comics worth it?

Well one, they are free on PSN in HD or if you don't want to download it, stream it on GT. Second, they set up the mood for Dead Space a lot and has a very good script and voice work.

Edit, how does the free extra suit work? Is it on PSN? Do I need to put it in a code?

KGKK said:
Well one, they are free on PSN in HD or if you don't want to download it, stream it on GT. Second, they set up the mood for Dead Space a lot and has a very good script and voice work.

Edit, how does the free extra suit work? Is it on PSN? Do I need to put it in a code?

There is a free suit on the Playstation Store. There is also the Scorpion suit, which costs $2.

todahawk

Sallokin said:
FUCK not a single store in Colorado Springs has it. My local Game Crazy said they may get it in the next hour or so but I doubt that highly.

gah, I want this now! no luck in my area either. I may have to take a long lunch tomorrow and go find it, I won't have time after work and I don't wanna wait till thursday.

KGKK

Banned
distantmantra said:
There is a free suit on the Playstation Store. There is also the Scorpion suit, which costs $2.

Good to know. I will only download the free one. The $2 one should have been an unlockable however at this gen you have to pay for everything:lol
Gonna watch Event Horizon now before I play the game.

It's a rad game.

The strategic dismemberment of the aliens never really gets old, it's one of the few things that I think should be carried into other games (modified to suit)

Flunkie

Banned
Okay, I just watched the first comic (downloaded from the PSN). It's kinda weird.. dealing with religion and stuff. Also, the bleeping out of the swears is really, really annoying. It doesn't help that there are so many, either.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Flunkie said:
Okay, I just watched the first comic (downloaded from the PSN). It's kinda weird.. dealing with religion and stuff. Also, the bleeping out of the swears is really, really annoying. It doesn't help that there are so many, either.
Get them off the internet, they are not censored

purg3

slept with Malkin
afternoon delight said:
I wish I could find the threads where people called this "OH JEEZ ANOTHER FACELESS SPACE MARINE GAME NO WAY LAME 4SURE!"

Glad to know it rocks.

like this one?

Good impressions so far, can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

Raistlin

KGKK said:
Good to know. I will only download the free one. The $2 one should have been an unlockable however at this gen you have to pay for everything:lol

I tend to agree, though in this situation ... I believe the scorpion suit is something Amazon gives you for pre-ordering.

I suppose I'd rather have it available (even if its costs $) then being only available if you got it from a certain store, etc.

JdFoX187

Banned
Costanza said:
OMG TOYS R US NOW THINKS IT'S COMING IN TOMORROW

YESSSSSSSS
Yeah, I heard there here as well. In fact, one person told me, and I quote "I've had people calling all day asking and you should check back in tomorrow at 10 a.m. That's when we should have our new games."

She was very angry with me.

Top Bottom