• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They should have at least let someone voice Nicole's name or something when you "meet her" in the later parts of the game, at least some kind of raw emotion would be nice, I completely agree, the silent hero trend is bad and needs to end

I'm replaying the game these days, can't believe how awesome it still holds. There needs to be a sequel for the good of humanity.

Minamu

chandoog said:
I'm replaying the game these days, can't believe how awesome it still holds. There needs to be a sequel for the good of humanity.
I've been thinking about doing the same ^^ An online buddy bought it together with Brutal Legend last week so he's been talking about it, which has made me wanna go back to it :D

I hope codecow didn't get reprimanded or anything for being relatively vocal here. His comments are all over the web now, with EA getting some serious flak because of it... Best of luck, if needed ^^

Truant

Minamu said:
I've been thinking about doing the same ^^ An online buddy bought it together with Brutal Legend last week so he's been talking about it, which has made me wanna go back to it :D

I hope codecow didn't get reprimanded or anything for being relatively vocal here. His comments are all over the web now, with EA getting some serious flak because of it... Best of luck, if needed ^^

What's the story here?

Noogy

I've been wanting to play this so bad this last year, and finally got around to starting it this evening. After about 4 hours, yeah, it's awesome :)

Minamu said:
Silent characters are boring. And that should be enough justification for *not* using them anymore no matter how good it looks on paper.

I disagree. Having a silent character pulls me into the game more. Straight away, myself and the character I'm controlling is bonding rather than me watching. Yes, Issac is in a situation where you'd be shitting yourself, he'd be screaming, shouting etc, but YOU do this whilst playing too? I certainly give out some WTF's and OH SHIT's rather than the character saying them for me. I don't think Deadspace would be as atmospheric, if the main character had a lot more dialogue.

Uncharted on the other hand, the immersion isn't anywhere near as close. Your controlling the character and hearing him speak for himself, including heated situations (like a grenade landing right next to you) The connection between player and character is detached, but is stronger between the on screen characters themselves, more so in Uncharted 2 which is also great to see.

Minamu

MarkMclovin said:
I disagree. Having a silent character pulls me into the game more. Straight away, myself and the character I'm controlling is bonding rather than me watching. Yes, Issac is in a situation where you'd be shitting yourself, he'd be screaming, shouting etc, but YOU do this whilst playing too? I certainly give out some WTF's and OH SHIT's rather than the character saying them for me. I don't think Deadspace would be as atmospheric, if the main character had a lot more dialogue.

Uncharted on the other hand, the immersion isn't anywhere near as close. Your controlling the character and hearing him speak for himself, including heated situations (like a grenade landing right next to you) The connection between player and character is detached, but is stronger between the on screen characters themselves, more so in Uncharted 2 which is also great to see.
Well, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree :) Drake has so much more personality than Isaac, it's not even comparable. I'd take a lovable criminal & womanizer over a mute space mechanic any day :p Uncharted was praised for its wonderful characters & has warranted a franchise. Dead Space, not so much (yet, hopefully). Iirc, a mute main character was up there on the list of cons in several reviews. I may not have screamed a whole lot during Dead Space, though the devs certainly tried to make me do that :lol, but in that situation, anyone most likely would've. Thus, I expect the character I play to do the same, or at least *react in some manner at all*. Isaac is a normal human being, not a Space Marine on steroids, you know.

Truant said:
What's the story here?
He mentioned how nobody bought Extraction & it'll affect EA's wii development in the future, basically (He's a Visceral Games programmer). It happened only a few pages back ^^ Oh, and please update your office prank thread! Like, right now! :D

Now that I saw this thread in the first page, I want to ask something.

I got the game some weeks ago, it's fantastic and totally love it, although the fear factor wasn't that great, anyway I got a problem with one part of the plot:

The plot twist about Nicole being dead and Isaac seeing hallucinations of her, I have a problem with it, why Isaac didn't know that Nicole was dead before entering in the Ishimura and so being affected by the relic? The other chracters mentioned that Isaac watched the video a lot of times, but still they talk about Nicole as being alive and that you will find her. I thoughht that they probably were mentioning finding the body or something but it's pretty clear that they refer as her as alive, and why the other traitor girl knows that she was truly dead but none of the other characters?

It's just a minor thing but is bugging me....

Talking about silent heroes, if you put a silent hero at least animate it in a way that you can see his feelings even if is exagerated, because his moves in the only way to transmit emotion to the player since it dosn't have voice I mean,
Isaac reaction to the fact that he was facing death and awful mutated people, avoiding to cut in half almost getting eaten alive, seeing people dying in front of him for saving the person he love, when actually she was dead all the time and get tricked by a ancient relic is a.......facepalm? a facepalm, that's all, he should be fucking punching the floor until it broke, he should be in rage. I couldn't sense any empathy

quickwhips

So I bought the game for 17.99 and After playing it I was like wow this game is amazing. The levels and creepy factory are really high for me. I beat the game once with just using the plasma cutter and on hard. It was pretty fun. I'm going back through now killing everything with all the weapson. This is a amazing game for 20 dollars. I think it was probably an amazing game at 60 dollars. But the demo really turned me off of buying it day one which was a shame. I mean I bought silent hill homecomings day one and enjoyed that and I really liked dead space way better. Off topic: Are there any other horror games on xbox 360 besides: Deadspace, silent hill, alone in the dark and bioshock(yeah i thought this game was creepy).

Minamu said:
Well, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree :) Drake has so much more personality than Isaac, it's not even comparable.

Both games, are pretty different though. 1 game is sucking *you into chaos, horror, survival whilst the other is sucking *Drake into chaos, fighting, survival. This is the way I see and prefer it. This method isn't to everyone's taste though, but I can see why the developers chose to make him mute. It would be completely wrong to make Drake mute too, because the setting doesn't need it. Mind you, it works for Zelda, but if they make a game where Link is having conversations with people, then count me out.

ArjanN

Minamu said:
Well, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree :) Drake has so much more personality than Isaac, it's not even comparable. I'd take a lovable criminal & womanizer over a mute space mechanic any day :p Uncharted was praised for its wonderful characters & has warranted a franchise. Dead Space, not so much (yet, hopefully). Iirc, a mute main character was up there on the list of cons in several reviews.

Drake does have more personality obviously, but that's just just it: he is his own character, whereas Isaac is...well, you. He's pretty much just your avatar in the world.

Uncharted is like watching a movie in which you see a cool character do cool stuff, in Dead Space they want you to put yourself in Isaac's place.

The two games were clearly going for two different approaches to storytelling.

MarkMclovin said:

Isaac is a blue collar working guy caught up in this mess, in spite of hell he got dropped into, he still manages to focus and do his job. He aint got time for jibba jabba! :lol

Truant

ArjanN said:
Drake does have more personality obviously, but that's just just it: he is his own character, whereas Isaac is...well, you. He's pretty much just your avatar in the world.

Uncharted is like watching a movie in which you see a cool character do cool stuff, in Dead Space they want you to put yourself in Isaac's place.

The two games were clearly going for two different approaches to storytelling.

I completely agree. Dead Space focuses on the ship itself, the necromorphs, and the basic universe presented in the game. Having Isaac as a silent protagonist works in this regard, especially for a new IP trying to sell you on its world.

Uncharted takes place in the 'real world', and it basically has to have a fleshed out protagonist for the player to care.

codecow

Minamu said:
I may not have screamed a whole lot during Dead Space, though the devs certainly tried to make me do that :lol, but in that situation, anyone most likely would've. Thus, I expect the character I play to do the same, or at least *react in some manner at all*. Isaac is a normal human being, not a Space Marine on steroids, you know.

There are two places in Dead Space where Isaac does react:

The first is right at the start of the game before you have the plasma cutter. Isaac gets chased into an elevator which gets pried open, he'll react to that.

The second is at the very end of the game when the full Nicole video plays and he does a "boo hoo hoo" animation.

codecow

Relaxed Muscle said:
It's just a minor thing but is bugging me....

Isaac reaction to the fact that he was facing death and awful mutated people, avoiding to cut in half almost getting eaten alive, seeing people dying in front of him for saving the person he love, when actually she was dead all the time and get tricked by a ancient relic is a.......facepalm? a facepalm, that's all, he should be fucking punching the floor until it broke, he should be in rage.

What about a Picard facepalm? :lol

Minamu

codecow said:
There are two places in Dead Space where Isaac does react:

The first is right at the start of the game before you have the plasma cutter. Isaac gets chased into an elevator which gets pried open, he'll react to that.

The second is at the very end of the game when the full Nicole video plays and he does a "boo hoo hoo" animation.
Well, alright then! :)

I see where you guys above are going with your arguments. I just don't like it :) In a way Isaac is more of a macho tough guy than Marcus Fenix. He at least shows emotion in his face when he saws someone in half or see a war buddy get tortured to death. Isaac doesn't even flinch no matter what you throw at him. If that's not being the most stereotypical hardcore alpha male, I don't know what is :)

Darkpen

Banned
My copy of Dead Space arrived yesterday, and I spent all of last night/up til a few hours ago playing and finishing on Normal. I think that having the
thing with each chapter name's first letter spelling out nicole is dead spoiled for me kinda almost ruined any real sense of surprise and shock for me, as it created a sense of anticipation and seeing how many chapters there were left

The game made me jump a few times early on, but by the time I was done, it was well into noon, and the sunlight outside my room caused its share of disillusionment. I did like
the final twist at the end, though, just because I wasn't expecting it,
so I guess it wasn't all for loss.

Yet at the same time, I'm
saddened that he never really got to hook back up with his girlfriend, though perhaps he did in a slightly more fatally ironic way

To be honest, though, I feel even more anxious and frustrated that I haven't played RE5, and lack of replay value in DS doesn't help.

Darkpen

Banned
(ps3 text limit)
Outside of that, though, something I wanted to mention was just how much Dead Space reminded me of Alien (the first film), and Metroid Prime. The Metroid games already took heavy inspiration from Alien to begin with, but the opening level of Metroid Prime really set a tone for what a lonesome space adventure game would look and feel like. In a lot of ways, Dead Space feels like what Metroid Prime would be if it wasn't a FPS, wasn't under the Metroid name, and was on an HD console.

Overall, its a good game, but like Mirror's Edge, while it stands as a solid singleplayer experience, it feels a little lacking in the replay category, despite newgame plus.

Darkpen said:
My copy of Dead Space arrived yesterday, and I spent all of last night/up til a few hours ago playing and finishing on Normal. I think that having the
thing with each chapter name's first letter spelling out nicole is dead spoiled for me kinda almost ruined any real sense of surprise and shock for me, as it created a sense of anticipation and seeing how many chapters there were left

[exploding head.img]

I had no idea :lol

Nizz

Darkpen said:

The gamDead Space 2.e made me jump a few times early on, but by the time I was done, it was well into noon, and the sunlight outside my room caused its share of disillusionment. I did like
the final twist at the end, though, just because I wasn't expecting it,
so I guess it wasn't all for loss.

Yet at the same time, I'm
saddened that he never really got to hook back up with his girlfriend, though perhaps he did in a slightly more fatally ironic way

To be honest, though, I feel even more anxious and frustrated that I haven't played RE5, and lack of replay value in DS doesn't help.
You just blew my mind with your spoiler text! I never noticed. Glad I didn't either because yeah, it would have ruined it for me.

I can't wait till we finally start hearing about Dead Space 2.

Darkpen

Banned
So, having had that spoiled before I played the game (though I was pretty apathetic about whether or not I'd ever play DS to begin with, so I guess I'm not angry or anything), can anyone who wasn't spoiled tell me what they were feeling when they learn the big twist? I felt a taste of it, because it wasn't like I really knew the details, but not the whole meal.

Minamu said:
Well, alright then! :)

I see where you guys above are going with your arguments. I just don't like it :) In a way Isaac is more of a macho tough guy than Marcus Fenix. He at least shows emotion in his face when he saws someone in half or see a war buddy get tortured to death. Isaac doesn't even flinch no matter what you throw at him. If that's not being the most stereotypical hardcore alpha male, I don't know what is :)

Well the great thing (to me) about a silent character is they're a blank slate that you can interpret any way you want. Where you see Isaac being a unflinching super-badass, I see a man who's terrified, paralyzed by fear and barely keeping it together.

Miburou

Darkpen said:
So, having had that spoiled before I played the game (though I was pretty apathetic about whether or not I'd ever play DS to begin with, so I guess I'm not angry or anything), can anyone who wasn't spoiled tell me what they were feeling when they learn the big twist? I felt a taste of it, because it wasn't like I really knew the details, but not the whole meal.

My feelings were
huh? why did he watch the vid dozens of times but never all the way to the end? That's just stupid.

Apenheul

Darkpen said:

The ending of Dead Space did nothing to me, not only because of that spoiler but I also played two levels of Dead Space Extraction before finishing DS (don't read the spoiler if you haven't finished DS yet)
and its first level already tells the player how the marker takes control over the mind
. So I knew beforehand what happened AND how it happened.

zoukka

Notorious_Roy said:
scanners4.jpg

Nipples are ban worthy but this giant image of an exploding head isn't? (yes I know where it's from)

Shnookums

Having never played Dead Space would it make sense to play Dead Space Extraction first? I understand Extraction takes place before Dead Space, but I'm not sure if it might reference or play off things established in the first game and thus make more sense if played after.

Shnookums said:
Having never played Dead Space would it make sense to play Dead Space Extraction first? I understand Extraction takes place before Dead Space, but I'm not sure if it might reference or play off things established in the first game and thus make more sense if played after.

I played the original Dead space first as recommended by EatChildren. I feel like it really gives you a nice perspective of the franchise in the horror setting. The lightgun experience of extraction was fun, but definitely not the main vision the original captures so well. Dead Space:Extraction does reward you with the comics(includes voice narrative) that are EXTREMELY entertaining.

Shnookums said:

I would say Dead Space first, as your supposed to be going into something you have no idea of, what the enemies are, how to kill them etc, and also learn throughout the playthrough the story of how the ship came to be. I would assume playing Extraction first would make alot of moments seem "big whoop" :lol

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
MarkMclovin said:

I agree with Mark here. I think games like Half-Life and Dead Space made the right choice by having the main character silent. They are in the minority in this regard, so why can't people cut them some slack? Especially when it's done well in these examples.

I loved Uncharted 2 for very different reasons, and of course, it's a very different kind of immersive experience. Funny thing is, a couple of times on my first playthrough I'd make a comment on a set piece, for example at one point some rubble or something collapses suddenly, blocking a path. I go "guess I'm not goin' that way..." then Drake would spout the exact same quip :lol Got a good laugh from my house mate and I.

They must have built some random dialogue/banter on remarks made by initial playtesters. Bottom line is, this wouldn't have worked for Dead Space. The fact that you're detached from the main character makes it so much more creepy and atmospheric.

Shnookums said:

Play the original Dead Space first, Extraction after. The Dead Space: Downfall cartoon can be viewed at anytime. There's animated comic book issues on youtube, but these unlock in Extraction as you beat the chapters.

gkryhewy

Gryphter said:
Play the original Dead Space first, Extraction after. The Dead Space: Downfall cartoon can be viewed at anytime. There's animated comic book issues on youtube, but these unlock in Extraction as you beat the chapters.

There's a cool little 6-issue video comic series on Xbox Live (it's free in the game's DLC section). Are these the same comics as in extraction?

Loved this game, by the way - just beat it on Thursday. One of the best games I've played in years.

NIGHT-

~Kinggi~ said:
lol, i cant believe3 OXM gave this a 6.5. Haha after the fact it just seems funny. Looking forward to the sequel!

They really scored it that low? One of my favorite games from last year.

I got the game last week and I beat it! Here are my personal opinions:

Loved:
- The initial atmosphere. The inspirations for this games have been well accounted, and I still couldn't help myself giggling in thinking the awesomeness of this game that had elements from Event Horizon, Alien, RE4, etc.
- Animation is smooth, control is a definite progression from what RE4 was (*cough* RE5).
- The hudless game design. How smooth it is! Not to mention that everything relating to in-game items/objectives are all available real-time rather than through a paused menu. I personally feel that the menu system is done much better than RE5.
- The variation in the suit designs, without counting the DLC ones. Everything I upgraded I couldn't help but thinking about Ironman. I see a lot of rooms for crazy (in a good way) ideas for DS2.
- Voice acting and the transition from cutscene to gameplay. It was almost a seamless as UC2.
-Dismembering is a nice twist of engaging with the enemies.

Loathed:
- I want to skip cutscenes! Please?
- Gameplay got a bit stale as the game went on. I feel that the environment could use a lot of variation than the game had. Through the middle of the game I felt like I was seeing the same stuff over and over and over again. Same thing with enemies, though to a lesser extent. Also Dismembering. It was cool at first, but I got bored real fast. I don't know why
- The game had some genuine scary moments, but a lot of the moments came from "jump" scares, which got old relatively fast as well.
- I also hated how much a lot of times I was being ambushed or dumped into a room with a shit load of enemies in close range. I guess it was made so the player could feel tension and the rush in staying alive? Instead I felt it was rather cheap
- Upgrading weapons feel a lot more like doing chores than building up a arsenal. This is another area that I feel RE4 somehow had truly done well. But maybe that is because RE4 was one of its own kind when it came out? I don' t know.

Overall, I liked the game, and thought it is truly one of the better games in the past few years. The next game can be very, very much better. I hope Dead Space comes out with a bang like the Dark Knight did, just completing blowing the player away without stop.

gkrykewy said:
There's a cool little 6-issue video comic series on Xbox Live (it's free in the game's DLC section). Are these the same comics as in extraction?

I don't know, I was unaware of them on XBL. This is what's on youtube and Extraction though, so if the XBL ones match that, then yes.

edit: most likely is

Notorious_Roy said:
[exploding head.img]

I had no idea :lol
Holy crap, me either. Just finished this game, really amazing game, great atmosphere fun action, creepy with an interesting story. One of the best games I've played this year. I have Extraction so I'll try that soon, but Dead Space 2 is definitely one of the top things on my radar for the future.

daycru

So I just bought this from 360's Games on Demand service. Holy shit, what a game. I can usually only play horror games for 15 minutes at a time but the frequent save points let me hang in there a little longer. Got to chapter 2 in one sitting, for me this is a huge accomplishment :lol

I bought this at the last minute during yesterdays STEAM sale. I was hesitant, because i didn't think it would run too well on my computer. To my surprise, it runs very smooth on all the highest settings. :D

It sucked me right in and i couldn't stop playing for like 2 hours. The presentation is stunning.

Fox Mulder

got this for $5 at best buy the other day, and it's one of the best games I've played this gen. I shouldn't have slept on this game for so long, but I will be there for the sequel on day one. Great fucking job EA.

JosM88 said:
I played the original Dead space first as recommended by EatChildren. I feel like it really gives you a nice perspective of the franchise in the horror setting. The lightgun experience of extraction was fun, but definitely not the main vision the original captures so well. Dead Space:Extraction does reward you with the comics(includes voice narrative) that are EXTREMELY entertaining.

The comics were available online with Dead Space though.

It's really neat to see the colony parts of the comics come to life in Extraction, such as the shuttle crash.

I'm playing a chapter every couple of days, going really slow, checking every corner. I'm thinking I will beat it sometime early next month. Great game!

fanboi

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
I'm playing a chapter every couple of days, going really slow, checking every corner. I'm thinking I will beat it sometime early next month. Great game!
Perfect way of playing (like I did)

fanboi said:
Perfect way of playing (like I did)

Yeah switching up between this and Dragon Age, considering that I already beat Dragon Age, I might start Assassins Creed 1, to get back into the story line or something like that.

bought the game on steam in the holiday deal and I really like it. But damn, it's scary with headphones :D

Is there an easy way to configure mouse controls? It seems the speed of turning depends on the distance from weapon to wall.

2hodxeg.jpg

this pic describes the game perfectly fine :D

crispyben

I'm finally getting started with Dead Space, but it really creeps me out... Mission accomplished for Visceral Games I guess! What are the main advice you can give me? I think I'll be playing on Easy so as not to get frustrated. Should I wear the Obsidian suit? Which weapon should I favor? Thanks for helping me get through this :D

Truant

crispyben said:
I'm finally getting started with Dead Space, but it really creeps me out... Mission accomplished for Visceral Games I guess! What are the main advice you can give me? I think I'll be playing on Easy so as not to get frustrated. Should I wear the Obsidian suit? Which weapon should I favor? Thanks for helping me get through this :D

Normal should be fine. Part of the game is balancing inventory space with the very finite amout of ammo, oxygen and health you find as you go along.

I personally went exclusively with the Plasma Cutter the first time. You don't really need any other weapons. Ammo scales to your available weapons, so you'll basically always have some.

Top Bottom