• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Yep I have to wait till tommorow also to pick up my Deadspace from local Gamestop .....so damn annoying because they have my Saint's Row 2 already, but I don't feel like making two trips. So will just pick them both up tommorow then

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Here is the infamous 6.5 review courtesy of OXM... seems to me like the guy went out of his way to not buy into the game's atmosphere and to obsess over the linear gameplay. I mean, really... what the hell was he expecting from a game featuring a single guy wandering around killing freakish aliens on an abandoned ship? A rich dialogue-filled storyline?

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/reviews/xbox-360/a-f/dead-space

What a joke. I'd fire myself for writing a review like that. The whole scarcity of ammo is part of the game, dead enemies often drop ammo as well. The suspense that is caused when you realise you are in a room full of aliens with only 4 rounds is fantastic.

TheFreshPrince

JdFoX187 said:
Yeah, I heard there here as well. In fact, one person told me, and I quote "I've had people calling all day asking and you should check back in tomorrow at 10 a.m. That's when we should have our new games."

She was very angry with me.

Same thing here....TRU employee said that the game should be in tomorrow!!!!!!

HugBasket

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:
Here is the infamous 6.5 review courtesy of OXM... seems to me like the guy went out of his way to not buy into the game's atmosphere and to obsess over the linear gameplay. I mean, really... what the hell was he expecting from a game featuring a single guy wandering around killing freakish aliens on an abandoned ship? A rich dialogue-filled storyline?

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/reviews/xbox-360/a-f/dead-space
what is that? the amount of paragraphs is lower than the score.

it sounds like he put in about 10 minutes of work on that review.

Muffdraul

JdFoX187 said:
Yeah, I heard there here as well. In fact, one person told me, and I quote "I've had people calling all day asking and you should check back in tomorrow at 10 a.m. That's when we should have our new games."

She was very angry with me.

Oh man, that brings back memories. I used to always buy my games from a certain Toys R Us that was on the way home from work and whenever some hot new game came out I was always calling and bugging the old hag who worked there. The last one I recall was Mario Kart..................................

Mario Kart 64, that is. :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There are some areas of the game that feel like Bioshock. Oh to have that feeling about a game's environments again...such care and such attention to detail. A true wonder from our friends at the neighborhood Electronic Arts developer.

edit: OH MY GOD YES ENEMIES CAN BE DECAPITATED AND BLOOD SPURTS EVERYWHERE

I remember something I read about this game some time ago, wonder if it's still there:

They said that there would be times in the game that you wouldn't see a single enemy for nearly 20 minutes and that you wouldn't know when one would pop up. Any truth?

Y2Kev

fistfulofmetal said:
I remember something I read about this game some time ago, wonder if it's still there:

They said that there would be times in the game that you wouldn't see a single enemy for nearly 20 minutes and that you wouldn't know when one would pop up. Any truth?
Hmm...definitely some stretches in the early game with no enemies for quite some time.

beelzebozo said:
more than anything i'm totally stoked that they've created and maintained a nice sense of atmosphere and mood from what i understand. long after i've finished games like that, it's the atmosphere that i remember when i'm sitting around reminiscing with buddies about how cool it all was, and what makes me get the itch to pop it back in for a replay.

That's an astute observation. I hadn't really thought about it before, but you're right: all of my favourite games are the ones where atmosphere has been king. I think the reason is that other elements of the game (graphics and sound especially) must be done right for you to get that sense of atmosphere.

Y2Kev

Wow, the bosses. Wow. I don't even know how I beat that one. I was basically out of ammo but I had ONE shot left in my giant BFG equivalent and I just closed my eyes, held the fire button to charge it up as shit was exploding all around me, and let go. I had my eyes closed preparing for the loading screen to pop up when I heard the achievement unlocked sound :lol

I'm about to dance around my room. I don't know what kind of engine this game uses but it produces UE3-quality graphics at a stable framerate with no texture pop in. Takes a crap on UE3 (non-epic ue3).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Things don't look generic with this engine. They look more real than anything I'v seen run of UE3. This isn't based off it is it because I get a whole different vibe off it. Stunning looking visuals like no other UE game I've seen and that includes Gears/2

Y2Kev

LiquidMetal14 said:
Things don't look generic with this engine. They look more real than anything I'v seen run of UE3. This isn't based off it is it because I get a whole different vibe off it. Stunning looking visuals like no other UE game I've seen and that includes Gears/2
It's not UE3. There was an anecdote posted a while back where Cliffy told the producer of DS how great UE3 looked in his game and he was like uhhhhh it's not UE3.

You can tell. This is one of the most polished games this gen. Uhhhhhhhhhh EA rocks

grendelrt

LiquidMetal14 said:

No sir, it isnt UE3. Funny thing is EA will probably try to market this engine and from what you just said, it has a chance to compete :D

This may sound petty, but how pixelated are the shadows? That's pretty much the only thing that makes me want to get this on PC is the idea that I can increase shadow resolution. Some videos made them look pretty splotchy.

dreamer3kx said:
Here you go. Dead Space PS3 VS Xbox 360 (Insider)

[edited for brevity]

Sound:
I played each version of Dead Space in three different set-ups and was hard-pressed to notice any significant differences in the soundtrack.

Presentation:
The PS3 version loads in a little more quickly from previous save files, but otherwise the load times are pretty similar.

This actually surprises me. I would have thought the PS3 would have slightly better sound (generally the extra storage space on Blu-Ray means that devs don't have to compress their audio as much) and slightly slower load times (since Blu-Ray access is generally slower than DVD access, and there is no HDD install for Dead Space).

It's possible that an audio difference was there, but it could be that the testers didn't have the right setup/environment to notice it. But the load times are a fairly cut and dry thing. I wonder if the EA guys have packed the Blu-Ray data in an unusual way to help load times, with the drawback being that it didn't leave as much extra space as usual for improved audio?

endlessflood said:
This actually surprises me. I would have thought the PS3 would have slightly better sound (generally the extra storage space on Blu-Ray means that devs don't have to compress their audio as much) and slightly slower load times (since Blu-Ray access is generally slower than DVD access, and there is no HDD install for Dead Space).

It's possible that an audio difference was there, but it could be that the testers didn't have the right setup/environment to notice it. But the load times are a fairly cut and dry thing. I wonder if the EA guys have packed the Blu-Ray data in an unusual way to help load times, with the drawback being that it didn't leave as much extra space as usual for improved audio?
That's the games big twist. The necromorphs harvest human energy to get the 360's sound to output at the same quality. It's a breakthrough in self referential game design.

Takuhi

So EB came through with my release-date delivery...

Enjoying it so far, although I do think a lot of OXM's complaints are valid. Perhaps I was given false expectations after hearing the game compared to RE4 so often, but I was surprised at how linear and scripted the game turned out to be.

Nevertheless, it's fun. It plays great, the weapons are cool, it looks good and is totally polished. Removing not just the HUD but all the on-screen text adds to the immersion, and the artists did a great job of making it instantly clear what you can interact with and how—none of that walk while tapping the A button so you don't miss any search points business here. The clarity of experience is perfect and the game does not feel at all rushed out to beat the holiday gaming flood. The first chapter was sort of dull, with only one enemy type and nothing particularly new or surprising, but things get more interesting in chapter 2 with the zero-gravity parts and the outer-space vacuums. (And a few more enemy types)

It's scarier than Silent Hill in a things-jump-out-at-you way, but Silent Hill definitely has a creepier mood and more engaging story. But this is way more fun to play.

Anyone who's playing it
burn a power node to find out what's in those rooms in the medical area?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The game was designed with linearity and set pieces in mind. It's a great experience. If you wanted other types of gameplay, they're out there. I know exactly how this will play and love it just for the story/atmosphere. Just as I expected

To those who are playing the game: what's the quality of voice acting like?

I was very impressed with the voice acting in the animated comics, it would be a shame if the game itself couldn't match them for quality.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Takuhi said:
Enjoying it so far, although I do think a lot of OXM's complaints are valid. Perhaps I was given false expectations after hearing the game compared to RE4 so often, but I was surprised at how linear and scripted the game turned out to be.
I know your impressions were positive but why do people tend to say this when the mention comparisons between this and RE4? RE4 is very, very linear with the exception of one splitting path. It doesn't make that game any less incredible and I doubt it will make any difference with Dead Space.

pinksage

endlessflood said:
To those who are playing the game: what's the quality of voice acting like?

I was very impressed with the voice acting in the animated comics, it would be a shame if the game itself couldn't match them for quality.

I think the voices are really well done. Specially in the random videos from the 'victims' on the ship.

pinksage

Metroidvania said:
that's damn fine.

Picking up this and Saint's Row II tomorrow at Toys'R us. :D

I got Saint's Row 2 today as well. I wanted the Limited Edition though. It has a Bullet shaped USB. How epic is that? Grr, should have pre-ordered.

grkazan12

I'm at a crossroad. Well I own an Xbox 360 and a PS3,both of the PS3 and Xbox 360 ports of Dead Space are basically equal, and I like the controllers for both consoles. I just can't decide on which version to purchase.

Are the comics on any version of this game? Or are they only available online? Would be great if they filled the Blu Ray with them. I could free up some HDD space : )

Y2Kev

Maybe I'm just tired of sandbox games, but I find linearity to be desireable-- tight linear gameplay promotes engaging setpieces and memorable scenario design.

pinksage

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Are the comics on any version of this game? Or are they only available online? Would be great if they filled the Blu Ray with them. I could free up some HDD space : )

The uber limited comes with the animated comic, I believe.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
grkazan12 said:
I'm at a crossroad. Well I own an Xbox 360 and a PS3,both of the PS3 and Xbox 360 ports of Dead Space are basically equal, and I like the controllers for both consoles. I just can't decide on which version to purchase.
Go with the one you have less games for?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Y2Kev said:
Maybe I'm just tired of sandbox games, but I find linearity to be desireable-- tight linear gameplay promotes engaging setpiece and memorable scenario design.
I would like to subscribe to your newletter.

Y2Kev said:
Maybe I'm just tired of sandbox games, but I find linearity to be desireable-- tight linear gameplay promotes engaging setpieces and memorable scenario design.

Pretty much sums up why they were able to make the game so intense and creepy.

Raistlin

anddo0 said:
Just saw the commercial during Fringe. Can't wait:D

Yeah ... and its fucking killing me.

This thread already put me to the brink. Then I saw that commercial, and I was practically jumping out of my skin in throbbing anticipation.

I don't know how I'm going to be able make it 'til Friday.

SumGamer

Takuhi said:
Anyone who's playing it
burn a power node to find out what's in those rooms in the medical area?

Not worth it,
Some chips(About 3000 or so) and health packs
, iirc.

Takuhi

RoboPlato said:
I know your impressions were positive but why do people tend to say this when the mention comparisons between this and RE4? RE4 is very, very linear with the exception of one splitting path. It doesn't make that game any less incredible and I doubt it will make any difference with Dead Space.

You could say that RE4 had an illusion of non-linearity; there were dead end paths that lead simply to items, or areas you could go a short distance down a future path for a short distance before hitting some sort of gimmick that stops you until you've accomplished something else first. In Dead Space, typically every door except the one you're supposed to take is locked. The next time you go through that area, with a different objective, the doors will be unlocked for no real storyline reason. So there's less of a feeling of exploration.

As LiquidMetal said, that was obviously the developer's intent, and it isn't necessary a flaw. I was just nothing that the few previews I read were misleading in comparing the game to RE4, when it feels a lot more like, say, Half-Life 2, where it's a more scripted and linear experience in which the developers doted over the details on a preset path.

BTW, I was playing the 360 version and the load times are by no means noticeably long. Also, the voice work is pretty good. And as everyone else has noted, the sound design is really excellent.

Top Bottom