• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

zewone

Takuhi said:
What do the DLC suits do? Anyone using them?

I couldn't download either so I'm using the standard one. If they're anything other than a cosmetic upgrade, wouldn't they destroy the difficulty balance?
They both are a Level 5 (max) armor, with max inventory slots and improved damage resistance. It does make it much easier, I wouldn't recommend unless you are trying to cheese your way through the game, or not at least until you unlock Level 5 armor in the game. Another reason it makes the game easier, you'll save a bunch of money not having to to upgrade from Level 1->2, 2->3, etc.

conman

Azar said:
But how hard is hard? I don't mind a challenge and dying every so often, but I'm generally not one to get satisfaction due to finishing a game that has been maddeningly frustrating, which a lot of people seem to get their kicks from.
On normal, you probably won't start dying until the last few stages. On hard, you might die a handful of times along the way.

As far as I can tell, the only difference in difficulty settings is the amount of damage you can take. Your weapons all do the same damage to enemies and there seem to be just as many ammo drops in normal as on hard.

The difficulty balancing is the most substantial criticism I'd have for the game. Otherwise, I really dig it.

mileS

I had no idea the DLC suits did that... Don't think I want to use it now.

Still not sure if I should start on Hard or Normal.

Captain N

Bozon-IGN said:
Yup, it is. Play on hard. I'm 3 hrs in right now, and I wish I could go back.

Oh well. I'm sure I'll beat this game over and over. It's really damn good.

Also yeah; anyone that saw that Dead Space special tell me how it is (or at least if I sounded like a moron, or more of one than usual). I haven't seen any of it yet...

you can see for yourself right here

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41548.html

Naruto

So, both the USA and Asian versions aren't region free? That's a dumb move EA, given that the European version comes out 9 days from now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Naruto said:
That's a dumb move EA, given that the European version comes out 9 days from now.
I don't understand your logic here.

Naruto

Rez>You said:
I don't understand your logic here.
If the european version comes out 9 days from now, why region lock the other versions? It's as if all 3 versions came out in the same day and each version were region locked. Why do that?

Captain N

KGKK said:
Good to know. I will only download the free one. The $2 one should have been an unlockable however at this gen you have to pay for everything:lol
Gonna watch Event Horizon now before I play the game.

I'm fairly certain you can get a code to get it for free if you pre-ordered it at Gamestop/ebgames.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's not region free?

darth_vader_nooo.jpeg

Seriously, this sucks.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Naruto said:
If the european version comes out 9 days from now, why region lock the other versions? It's as if all 3 versions came out in the same day and each version were region locked. Why do that?
Ah I get you.

See I was thinking (Darunia you'll be able to answer this): why does it matter? By the time you import the game from another region it will practically be launch day.

Naruto

Rez>You said:
Ah I get you.

See I was thinking (Darunia you'll be able to answer this): why does it matter? By the time you import the game from another region it will practically be launch day.
That..... Also makes sense.

Barrett2

Remember, US shoppers, Circuit City is giving away a $10 gift card with this game! I love this deal, I honestly get half my games $10 off because they run this deal so often.

- $10 gift card with purchase at Circuit City -

Mdk7

Darunia said:
It's not region free?

darth_vader_nooo.jpeg

Seriously, this sucks.
wait wait, i'm a PS3 n00b... are you referring to the 360 version, aren't you?
PS3 version is 101% region free, isn't it?
Cause i ordered a copy yesterday from Hong Kong, and i live in Italy...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Mdk7 said:
wait wait, i'm a PS3 n00b... are you referring to the 360 version, aren't you?
PS3 version is 101% region free, isn't it?
Cause i ordered a copy yesterday from Hong Kong, and i live in Italy...

yeah 360 version

Captain N

The series of animated comics was pretty good. It certainly got me even more excited for the game today and Downfall on Blu-Ray next week.

Danielsan

Well that seals the deal. PS3 version it is.
Now I have to wait for VGplus to put the PS3 version backup (it is down due to overwhelming demand). :lol

so does anyone know the difference between the free suit on xbox marketplace (green one) and the scorpion suit (red one) for sale for 200 points?

shvnursezm5.jpg

also, would love to hear feedback from those who played and enjoyed Silent Hill Homecoming. In particular how the atmosphere 'feels', and how strong an element the story is (both cut scenes and video logs wise).

grendelrt

Do you think using the DLC suit on hard difficulty would be a good compromise? I also read that suits upgrade in status and looks as you play, would using a DLC suit kill that as well?

Captain N

x3n05 said:
OMG, the last scene of that vid is hilarious. "Break up with her dude, they're necromorphs...you know" :lol

I got a laugh out of that too.

I would love to see a live action movie of Dead Space. Hopefully it won't turn out like Doom. The story in the comics was pretty damn good.

Captain N

grendelrt said:
Do you think using the DLC suit on hard difficulty would be a good compromise? I also read that suits upgrade in status and looks as you play, would using a DLC suit kill that as well?

The DLC suits start at level 5 so they won't upgrade in look. They are already maxed out from the start.

painey

so this game is shit scary right? I couldnt finish Bioshock because I kept shitting myself and I have 10 gamerscore in Condemned 2 because it creeped me the fuck out

Zeliard

Captain N said:
The DLC suits start at level 5 so they won't upgrade in look. They are already maxed out from the start.

They should have given you the option of whether or not to go the cosmetic route with the suits. I'm sure a lot of people wanted/want to use them just for how they look, but when their stats are basically maxed out it ends up hurting the gameplay by making things way too easy. Does Dead Space feature a New Game +?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
They should have given you the option of whether or not to go the cosmetic route with the suits. I'm sure a lot of people wanted/want to use them just for how they look, but when their stats are basically maxed out it ends up hurting the gameplay by making things way too easy. Does Dead Space feature a New Game +?
Yesm.

Zeliard said:
it does, but you have to start at the same difficulty you beat it at.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
plagiarize said:
it does, but you have to start at the same difficulty you beat it at.
That would be the definition of "New Game +".

todahawk

damn, I already downloaded teh suit and installed it on my ps3. I'm getting the game tomorrow, does anyone know if you have to pick which suit to use? Based on what I'm reading I don't want it anymore. I haven't looked for an uninstall option yet...

Facism

Danielsan said:
Well that seals the deal. PS3 version it is.
Now I have to wait for VGplus to put the PS3 version backup (it is down due to overwhelming demand). :lol

they're a fucking excellent site. I'm in the UK, bought both Disgaea 3 and Silent Hill: Homecoming on their release dates. Both were shipped tuesday night, both arrived saturday morning the same week, on their free $7.49 CAD shipping option.

They will be getting a lot more of my business in the coming months.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I would love to be able to buy all the comics in one hardcover book. Any chance they will do that if DS is a huge success?

greenjerk said:
damn, I already downloaded teh suit and installed it on my ps3. I'm getting the game tomorrow, does anyone know if you have to pick which suit to use? Based on what I'm reading I don't want it anymore. I haven't looked for an uninstall option yet...

You have to buy it at one of the store kiosks in the game for zero credits.

Danielsan

Facism said:
they're a fucking excellent site. I'm in the UK, bought both Disgaea 3 and Silent Hill: Homecoming on their release dates. Both were shipped tuesday night, both arrived saturday morning the same week, on their free $7.49 CAD shipping option.

They will be getting a lot more of my business in the coming months.
I know. I've been using them for a while now. Bought Disgaea 3, Patapon and Etrian Odyssey from them. Excellent service, fast delivery and they save me a ton of money.

I'm waiting for the to restock Silent Hill Homecoming (PS3) and Dead Space (Ps3).
Then I'll order a triple horror combo with Dead Space, Silent Hill and Condemned (360). :D

I'm also hoping that Banjo will be region free (just like Viva Pinata). Paying €25 instead of €60 = awesome. :D

glaurung

Do the extra suits have any features that make it better than the classic suit?

Or do they have a different upgrade path?

linsivvi

zewone said:
They both are a Level 5 (max) armor, with max inventory slots and improved damage resistance. It does make it much easier, I wouldn't recommend unless you are trying to cheese your way through the game, or not at least until you unlock Level 5 armor in the game. Another reason it makes the game easier, you'll save a bunch of money not having to to upgrade from Level 1->2, 2->3, etc.

Yeah that's the only problem I have with the game so far. I had a free scorpion suit code in my game, so I tried it on, and now I can't switch back to the normal suit. :/

It's not even about making the game easier, I just prefer the look of the original suit, why can't they let me switch it back?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If I can find this at TRU, I'll most certainly buy the console version. I'm pretty uncertain about the PC release, to be honest. This is a new engine and there has been little mention of the PC version thus far. A solid port would result in a superior PC experience, but I've also encountered console ports that have issues that should never have existed.

Just one example is the recent Turok game. It's certainly not a AAA game by any means, but one would have expected a UE3 PC game to at least be on par or exceed the console versions, but not, it was terrible. The visuals were toned down, they added ultra lengthy loading screens (where the console versions used streaming), and the whole package felt incomplete. It was a terrible port. This happens from time to time on the PC and there's generally no indicator that such problems exist prior to release.

This was a post on armor differences at gamespot forums, dont know if its true or not but sounds convincing :lol

well I think this is what your asking

stat wise

Elite

90 seconds of air threshold
10% armor shell
extra inventory slots

Scorpion Rig

90 seconds of air threshold
25% armor shell
extra inventory slots

(dont know how many extra inventory slots though)

but the only difference I see between them besides appereance is the armor shell %

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Aren't 95% of 360 games region locked? I see this same discussion on every thread and it always ends the same way.

todahawk

dark10x said:
If I can find this at TRU, I'll most certainly buy the console version. I'm pretty uncertain about the PC release, to be honest. This is a new engine and there has been little mention of the PC version thus far. A solid port would result in a superior PC experience, but I've also encountered console ports that have issues that should never have existed.

Anyone find Dead Space at TRU yet? TRU's website is still showing pre-order...

Danielsan

Y2Kev said:
Aren't 95% of 360 games region locked? I see this same discussion on every thread and it always ends the same way.
More and more are region free. People from Europe like their games 25% cheaper.

Barrett2

Mr.Potato Head said:
Wal mart people.. Wal mart!!

FUCK ME! These graphics are INSANE!!! This game look absolutely STUNNING on the 360. Wow.. oh my goodness does this title look falt out amazing, move over Crysis!! This game at times looks photo-realistic alot of times.. the character models are super detailed and the environments are just flat out amazing along with the lighting in this game, damn the visuals are phat!!

The sound... im so damn glad i have a nack for high end home theater sound systems..this game is simply stunning in the sound dept. Wow.. adds much atmosphere to the experience.

Once you get into a good 30-40 minutes.. you'll be in the Maintenance Bay, When you see this area..then your gonna start to begin realize beautiful this game really is.. the further you get the more you are blown away by this complete presentation this game offers.

The controls, wow perfect controls for a 3rd person shooter, it just works very well, the in-game menu system will be something games of the future will defiantly follow and at the same time enhances the overall atmosphere of the game because it removes stat overlays off the screen giving you a much better, bigger looking screen which again gives you this feeling that your actually playing a movie rather then a game..

The game FEELS FRESH, this is game of the year material right here imho. You must play it to really appreciate this game. As with the gamespot review i totally agree with it and at the same time i must add my own thoughts, i keep stressing that this game FEELS FRESH because it IS, it does alot unique things, has a unique style to the game that could very well become a great franchise..infact this game has "franchise" written all over it.

Nice game.. some pic's i tried to take of the game, im in awe with it. The story is decent..not as deep as i would of liked but its good and compelling and does the job just fine..it just could be a bit more deep thats all but thats for Dead Space II anyhow.. not gonna say too much else, the gamespot review pretty is pretty much how i feel..one remarkable game here and to a HUGE suprise to me..this is one hell of HIT...this game is HOT!!

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

You son of a bitch; my hype is off the charts now. Only a few more hours of waiting!

Top Bottom