• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Trevelyan

Banned
Vustadumas said:
So I'm picking up Dead Space today! So what's the verdict? 360 or PS3?
From what I've read and heard. Both games are identical. PS3 is supposed to have quicker loads(1-2 secs) and might(?) have better sound, who knows.

dankir

dankir said:
Anybody in Montreal been able to get this yet? I'm going to go check out Eb Games and Game Buzz downtown in a bit, any other suggestions?

EbGames downtown has plenty of copies available!

oh bitches this game is awesome, I love how you can move around dead enemies, causing their body parts to flail around, I killed one and walked over its body and I didn't know I could move them around and I thought it was still alive so I baked some brownies in my pants.

robochimp

Picked up my copy, got about 10 minutes in. My stomach starts to feel a little queezy and I feel a headache coming on. Great the game gives me motion sickness! :[

honestly if you dont like fetch quests I can see this game becoming really annoying. Luckily for me so far its been tolerable.

But the whole game is based upon scavanger hunt gameplay.

Awesome awesome game so far.

TheFallen

Picked up the 360 version earlier today. Loving it.

At the beginning of the second chapter, there's the blind woman as soon as you come off the train. I accidentally hit the stomp button while standing over her, snapping a leg off. :lol Nice use of the dismemberment system.

The OXM review is laughable. It's not because of the score, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the way it's written. The review amounts to a short blurb of jokes, with no substance. If the reviewer had actually criticized something with some example, instead it just feels like the game was written off. Stupid.

Nizz

brandonh83 said:
I HAVE IT MARCUS

I HAVE IT IN MY HANDS
MV5BMTYxMjAwNTYzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTY.jpg

;) I probably won't be able to get this game for a while, but I d/loaded the alternate suit from PSN last night. I saw it said free for a limited time so I grabbed it. Nice PS3 color scheme, darker suit with blue glowing eyes. I'm so sad...

DestinRL

TheFallen said:
Picked up the 360 version earlier today. Loving it.

At the beginning of the second chapter, there's the blind woman as soon as you come off the train. I accidentally hit the stomp button while standing over her, snapping a leg off. :lol Nice use of the dismemberment system.

Yeah I went into a room and some crazy guy was on the floor crying and I was so freaked out I shot him in the face.

MrHicks

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
honestly if you dont like fetch quests I can see this game becoming really annoying. Luckily for me so far its been tolerable.

But the whole game is based upon scavanger hunt gameplay.

Awesome awesome game so far.

nooooooo
its a fetch game? :/

Grecco

They didnt have this today at the local Circuit city or gamestop. And we have a hurricane later tonight so i have to wait till tomorow or friday. :(

Big Resident Evil fan...like...HUGE.

So with that shared...I'm three hours into Dead Space and I am love love loving it.

A creepy thing snuck up behind me...I panicked and ran away. Hustled to turn around in time and it was leaping at me to hit me with the ol' double slash.

I spazzed on the controller and hit stasis. Slowing it down to nearly no movement at all. I took my time, rotated the cutter to horizontal and went with the "Boom, head shot!" technique. Half of it's skull sailed across the room.

The corpse crumpled to the ground with me feeling positive about the entire transaction when it got back up and charged at me again sans head.

So fuckin' good.

Danielsan

For those who ordered at VGplus, rest assured:

Confirmed new releases shipping out from our facility today are FIFA Soccer 09 - PS2 , FIFA Soccer 09 - 360 , FIFA Soccer 09 - DS , FIFA Soccer 09 - PS3 , FIFA Soccer 09 - PSP , FIFA Soccer 09 All Play - Wii , Dead Space - 360 and Dead Space - PS3 . All preorders for these games are now being processed and have begun shipping so we can't accept any further cancellations. If we receive any further updates on any other new releases shipping out from our facility today we will update here. UPDATE 1 : We mentioned Japanese coach DS was shipping yesterday but it was an error and we are still waiting for the product to come in. we apologize for the error. UPDATE 2: All current DEAD SPACE PS3 preorders in our system will be filled 100%. We should have the game back up for sale later today or tomorrow for everyone else still looking to purchase this title from us.

Hopefully the order option goes back up soon. I need to have this game next week.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Aren't like, all, survival horror games essentially "fetch quest" games? I know that's what I spent the bulk of my time in all the Resident Evils and Silent Hills doing. "Go get this half of the emblem over here, and then work your way back through where you just left a while ago to get the 2nd half, which will open the statue, giving you a key, that allows you to continue fetching over there."

Didn't expect Dead Space to be any different, so I'm happy. Awesome graphics + awesome sound in a survival horror game? Yes please!

bigdaddygamebot said:

So with that shared...I'm three hours into Dead Space and I am love love loving it.

A creepy thing snuck up behind me...I panicked and ran away. Hustled to turn around in time and it was leaping at me to hit me with the ol' double slash.

I spazzed on the controller and hit stasis. Slowing it down to nearly no movement at all. I took my time, rotated the cutter to horizontal and went with the "Boom, head shot!" technique. Half of it's skull sailed across the room.

The corpse crumpled to the ground with me feeling positive about the entire transaction when it got back up and charged at me again sans head.

So fuckin' good.

THIS!

Captain N

MiniDitka said:
This game is freakin me out :lol

same! I am going nuts here! this game rocks! Its ashame my wife will have nightmares from watching the tv ad for this..I'll have to play it whenever she's out or asleep.

The PS3 version comes with 2 game demos on the disc! All you've got to do is install them which is pretty sweet...Burnout Paradise & Battlefield Bad Company.

Macattk15

Trevelyan said:
From what I've read and heard. Both games are identical. PS3 is supposed to have quicker loads(1-2 secs) and might(?) have better sound, who knows.

might have better sound? pretty sure uncompressed > compressed regardless. though you do generally need a decent sound system to tell the difference. just saying.

picking this game up after work, will probably play for a few hours tonight.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Well, got my copy along with the artbook along with a set of Grado SR-60's so I'm all set to be terrified tonight. Can't wait. Maybe I'll watch The Thing beforehand just to really geek out.

just picked the game up. decided that the OXM and eurogamer reviews are outweighted with so many rave reviews. the video reviews also just looked so cool, and I really liked the comic series. artbook is awesome too.

now need to split time between SR2, this and wife attentions :lol

pr0cs

Macattk15 said:
might have better sound? pretty sure uncompressed > compressed regardless. though you do generally need a decent sound system to tell the difference. just saying..
You're assuming they actually bothered to differ the sound resources on both builds, pretty big assumption.

winnarps

Anyone know what stores would have a good set of headphones? The big chains (Best Buy, Circuit City, and Radioshack) all suck when it comes to headphones selection.

Takuhi

For whoever was asking about the save spots—

They're really very common. And since enemies do not respawn, you can always walk back to an old save spot without being attacked.

I'm loving how Dead Space is beautiful sometimes. Not blood-spurting creepy horror stuff, but really beautiful—like the bridge in Chapter 4 or some of the vacuums in space. The mood is nothing like Silent Hill. You always know exactly what's going on, can see clearly, etc. You just never know when an enemy's going to jump out at you.

It is pretty easy, though. I wish I had played on hard. (Especially if you're using a DLC suit.)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
"Fetch questing" is no different from other games that use it to push you around an environment. To me, a fetch quest is, "Find 8 doohickeys." You're never doing that...it would be pointless considering you can instantly find all your objectives by pressing in the right stick.

how does enemy spawning work? do enemies always re-spawn when you move around? is there any benefit to exploring, or does it just risk running out of ammo?

also do you have an effective melee attack like a wrench or something? I know there is that foot stomp thing.

man work drags so long...

Y2Kev said:
"Fetch questing" is no different from other games that use it to push you around an environment. To me, a fetch quest is, "Find 8 doohickeys." You're never doing that...it would be pointless considering you can instantly find all your objectives by pressing in the right stick.

exactly, I don't think it's a fetch game at all. it's a "go here for this, go here for that." it's certainly not like, say, Metroid Prime where you have to collect a certain amount of items to make progress.

Revolutionary said:
This. (seriously, this is exactly what I came in here to say)
Dammit. You all are making me want this game...

Was thinking about waiting for PC but I might just have to pick it up today for my Xbox.

Costanza

Banned
fuck you toys r us

of course they didn't get it in. i exchanged my 2 placeholders for 2 more copies of saints row 2 to sell on ebay and then went over to Circuit City to pick up the last PS3 copy of Dead Space.

Gonna play as soon as I eat something.

DestinRL

Costanza said:
fuck you toys r us

of course they didn't get it in. i exchanged my 2 placeholders for 2 more copies of saints row 2 to sell on ebay and then went over to Circuit City to pick up the last PS3 copy of Dead Space.

Yeah Toys R Us is having that buy 2 games get 1 free sale all this week to.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Costanza said:
fuck you toys r us

Why is Saints Row 2 selling on ebay?

BeeDog

I know this is a longshot, but here goes: has any Swede found a shop that has started selling this game (or sending out preorders)?

Daigoro

bigdaddygamebot said:

nice. as another big fan of RE, youve got me sold on the game.

glad to hear everyone is loving it. im looking forward to picking it up one of these days.

Top Bottom