• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
JRW said:
Wow.. I was just playing in a completely darkened room on a 50" Kuro plasma with my home theater cranked up, Man this game is so atmospheric and the graphics and audio are top notch. (X360 ver).

I don't have my surround sound set up in the living room where I have my 46" Sammy so I'm copping this today:

graco-sr60.jpg

Can't wait for tonight.

dankir

Anybody in Montreal been able to get this yet? I'm going to go check out Eb Games and Game Buzz downtown in a bit, any other suggestions?

Double D

painey said:
so this game is shit scary right? I couldnt finish Bioshock because I kept shitting myself and I have 10 gamerscore in Condemned 2 because it creeped me the fuck out

lol, yeah I'm in the same situation here. I was able to make it through Bioshock ok, but I think I have a similar gamerscore in condemned :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Xater said:
But why would anyone believe that Dead Space could be codefree? Besides one MAdden EA never does codefree.

Yeah I know now to never expect an EA game to be region free.

Dyno

I gots mah copy! Now the hard part is getting through work AND putting the kids to bed so that I can sit down and play the thing.

T-minus 9 hours and counting... : (

kinggroin

Banned
I like when folks mention their rig/setup specs when posting that they're playing a game

"Playing this on my 110" Optoma HD65 720p Pojector with a designer white laminate screen and Onkyo 7.1 HT system. Game is fun"

:lol

that's my setup

Philthy

I'm going to end up playing the game with the default suit and on the normal difficulty. Will this have a bit of challenge to it still? I don't mind easy games so long as there are a few challenges, and I absolutely hate really hard games.

Basically, I just don't want the game to be like Persona 3 on Easy. Where there is literally no challenge at all and you get completely bored of the game and want to smash it.

I love the look of the PS3 suit, but if it really is a maxed out suit with no upgrades available, I wont be using it.

greenjerk said:
Anyone find Dead Space at TRU yet? TRU's website is still showing pre-order...
I'm also curious about this. I guess I'll give them a call tonight before I try and grab the B2G1 free deal.

mrlogical

Vik_Vaughn said:
lol, yeah I'm in the same situation here. I was able to make it through Bioshock ok, but I think I have a similar gamerscore in condemned :lol

I too am a huge wimp and afraid I may not complete this game. The thing that allowed me to get through Bioshock, and prevented me from finishing Resident Evil 4 (I know, I suck), were the games' respective save systems. As scared as I was at many points in Bioshock, I could at least save every 2 minutes to mitigate the sense of dread I felt with every room I walked into. I had a much harder time dealing with the same level of fear in RE4 when I knew I was toast if I couldn't make it to the next typewriter. I believe I have heard (though correct me if I'm wrong) that Dead Space has some form of limits on when you can save...I just hope I can save frequently enough to make it through the game. That or I could grow a pair of balls.

Azar

conman said:
On normal, you probably won't start dying until the last few stages. On hard, you might die a handful of times along the way.

As far as I can tell, the only difference in difficulty settings is the amount of damage you can take. Your weapons all do the same damage to enemies and there seem to be just as many ammo drops in normal as on hard.

The difficulty balancing is the most substantial criticism I'd have for the game. Otherwise, I really dig it.
Thanks for the impressions! Sounds like I'll be playing it on hard this weekend. ;)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Question for those who've played it; is it annoying to always have to finish off and dismember the creatures? I sometimes find that tiresome when I just want enemies to go down for good when I shoot them.

painey

mrlogical said:
I too am a huge wimp and afraid I may not complete this game. The thing that allowed me to get through Bioshock, and prevented me from finishing Resident Evil 4 (I know, I suck), were the games' respective save systems. As scared as I was at many points in Bioshock, I could at least save every 2 minutes to mitigate the sense of dread I felt with every room I walked into. I had a much harder time dealing with the same level of fear in RE4 when I knew I was toast if I couldn't make it to the next typewriter. I believe I have heard (though correct me if I'm wrong) that Dead Space has some form of limits on when you can save...I just hope I can save frequently enough to make it through the game. That or I could grow a pair of balls.

I am like this in all games, I save every 10 steps or so when I can, heres my final Oblivion save stats
2944045611_16c8ae45a7.jpg

80hours playtime, 1011 saves, works out to a total of 1 save every 4.7 minutes :lol

snatches

mrlogical said:
Bioshock................grow a pair of balls.

seriously WTF?

there are magical chambers that give you back all your health and ammo when you die but the bad guys are still coughing and wheezing from the ass whooping you were handing down before you died.

you could play that whole game by running up to big daddy's and hitting them with the fucking wrench if you wanted with virtually no penalty

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
McBacon said:
Question for those who've played it; is it annoying to always have to finish off and dismember the creatures? I sometimes find that tiresome when I just want enemies to go down for good when I shoot them.
They don't really go down unless you eviscerate them. Taking off two limbs will generally kill them. I usually go for the arms since those are the thinnest limbs but taking out the legs and then one of the arms will kill your standard baddie.

There are other types of baddies :D

Danielsan

I've been looking at some headphones to make my horror experience perfect.

These are my picks so far:

Sennheiser HD-555 (€90)
290splj.jpg

Sennheiser HD-595 (€125)
11rbsj6.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with these two.? Is there enough difference between the two the justify the extra €35 (HD-595).

Other (cheaper) recommendations are welcome too.

I really hope VGplus updates their blog/website soon. I just finished watching the animated comics and I'm really hyped for the game now.

Zophar

painey said:
I am like this in all games, I save every 10 steps or so when I can, heres my final Oblivion save stats
2944045611_16c8ae45a7.jpg

80hours playtime, 1011 saves, works out to a total of 1 save every 4.7 minutes :lol
How the hell did you play for 80 hours and only reach level 11?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oblivion is broken as shit. You don't want to level and it doesn't happen automatically.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Costanza said:
TRU just told me they got a shipment of stuff and to call again at 2.

PLEASE HAVE THIS
I know not if you look like him but the image of George Costanza calling and pestering Toys R Us employees about the stock availability of a video game makes me laugh.

PatzCU

Cornballer said:
I'm also curious about this. I guess I'll give them a call tonight before I try and grab the B2G1 free deal.

Same, I'm going to give it a whirl tonight I guess (if I have time). If not, I'm going to have to pick it up at Circuit City for the $10 off. Anyone know when the Circuit City deal expires?

Danielsan said:
11rbsj6.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with these two.

yeah, i have the 595. it's great, but for 5.1 sound you're better of with a 5.1 headphone.. you need the exact pinpoint of sound...

they are great for stereo though and i bet it's scary as hell for games, but i tried it and i missed the true 5.1 sound direction.

I hate Best Buy employees... with a horrible deadly passion.

With that said, they better have my copy when I get off work. Unlike yesterday when they totally lied about it.

klownboots said:
I hate Best Buy employees... with a horrible deadly passion.

With that said, they better have my copy when I get off work. Unlike yesterday when they totally lied about it.
Yeah, that's the same reason why I'm worried about TRU tonight. I've been burned before where they'll say it's in stock when it isn't. :(

MiniDitka

Just picked up the game from Gamestop. Thinking about doing a live feed but I'm not sure if I want people seeing how much I suck at gaming :lol

DestinRL

I seriously have to wonder what the hell Official Xbox Magazine was thinking giving this game a 65% rating. I have to wonder if the reviewer hates the developers on the game, or if there was some other reason he would score it so low. I'm going to have to buy the magazine, just to see what he wrote to justify the low score.

Graphics - Awesome
Sound - Awesome
Story - Decent in the game, and comes with a back story in the form of an anime dvd, a comic book, and movies 1-6 available on PSN, and the XBL Marketplace.
Gamplay - Easy to pick up, and an awesome camera

WHERES THE PROBLEM OXM?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
wasn't in at toys r us, so i didn't bother. neither of the two wal-marts in the area had it either. had to fall back on gamestop, the sons of bitches.

but i have my copy. now to duck out of work early and go home to rock that mother.

DestinRL said:
I seriously have to wonder what the hell Official Xbox Magazine was thinking giving this game a 65% rating. I have to wonder if the reviewer hates the developers on the game, or if there was some other reason he would score it so low. I'm going to have to buy the magazine, just to see what he wrote to justify the low score.

Graphics - Awesome
Sound - Awesome
Story - Decent in the game, and comes with a back story in the form of an anime dvd, a comic book, and movies 1-6 available on PSN, and the XBL Marketplace.

WHERES THE PROBLEM OXM?

yes I agree, im early in the game but can see right away the game will be great, who is the reviewer from OXM? This guy should be laughed at immediately.

RavenFox

Banned
DestinRL said:

Graphics - Awesome
Sound - Awesome

WHERES THE PROBLEM OXM?
PS3 version runs great. His plan backfired. lol just messing guys

Vustadumas said:
So I'm picking up Dead Space today! So what's the verdict? 360 or PS3?
Doesn't matter. Differences are to minimal to differentiate.

DestinRL

Vustadumas said:
So I'm picking up Dead Space today! So what's the verdict? 360 or PS3?

I have it on the 360.......but I dont think it should matter. Whichever controller you prefer I guess.

Top Bottom