• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

so how does this game sound on surround? Im playing on some 2.1 pc speakers and it sounds great, I could only imagine how it sounds with 5.1.

oh yea game is fucking amazing, loving it so far early in the game.

dreamer3kx said:
so how does this game sound on surround? Im playing on some 2.1 pc speakers and it sounds great, I could only imagine how it sounds with 5.1.

oh yea game is fucking amazing, loving it so far early in the game.

In 5.1, it sounds better than any other game ever.

Xater

This thread is killing me. I want to play it too. :(

I am curious about one thing though, can you configure the sensitivity for look/turn/aim? Or do they want you to use a specific speed to keep the tension?

Xater said:
I am curious about one thing though, can you configure the sensitivity for look/turn/aim? Or do they want you to use a specific speed to keep the tension?

Don't fuck with the turn speed. It definitely adds to the tension. You're not Resident Evil 1 tankish but it's not exactly agile either. It makes you think long and hard which way you're going to turn when you enter a new corridor.

Draft

McLovin said:
Damn my strict workout schedule >.< I want to play it now! ...I'll be getting it later tonight :(
Stay strong, brother! I was gonna skip the gym too but fuck that noise. Get my swell on, then get my dead space on.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Costanza said:
Finished the first chapter.

OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS GAME IS SO GOOD
*throws hand up costanza style*

THE NEW EA HAS BEEN BORN

Chiggs said:
Homecoming vs. Dead Space - what's the better purchase?

I think Dead Space is the better buy, but they are both great. Dead Space is something new, Silent Hill is something a little more familiar.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm about to go pick this up. Should I sit through all the comics before I start playing to give me stronger, invested feeling emotionally during the game?

stuminus3

Chiggs said:
Homecoming vs. Dead Space - what's the better purchase?
I'd be willing to bet a testicle that Dead Space would be the winner (though I haven't played it yet, a couple more hours before I get to go home), but I guess it would depend on whether you're a Silent Hill fan or not. If you're a Silent Hill fan, purchase of Homecoming is pretty much a no-brainer.

BeeDog

Y2Kev said:
*throws hand up costanza style*

THE NEW EA HAS BEEN BORN

I think Dead Space is the better buy, but they are both great. Dead Space is something new, Silent Hill is something a little more familiar.

Have you finished the game yet? I'd like to know if it wraps up neatly before throwing up money.

Need to find stuff to stall more money-spending on games :lol

Somnia

So the first time you go into the vacuum of space...omg at the sound. This is by far the best sounding video game ever!

Crisis

Banned
I apologize for not reading the first few posts of the thread but I think I can contribute anyway. I went to four different stores around here and fucking ALL of them were sold out. Dead Space ought to do well come NPD for October.

Costanza

Banned
Crisis said:
I apologize for not reading the first few posts of the thread but I think I can contribute anyway. I went to four different stores around here and fucking ALL of them were sold out. Dead Space ought to do well come NPD for October.
When I went to Circuit City at 2:05 PM I got the last PS3 copy (not sure how many 360s were left). Apparently people were lined up at customer service waiting for it.

Az987

all good things
whos idea was it to release the dvd prequel 2 weeks after the game!?

Dammit, id like to watch it before i play the game but i doubt that will happen since I have the game sitting next to me :lol

Crisis

Banned
Costanza said:
When I went to Circuit City at 2:05 PM I got the last PS3 copy (not sure how many 360s were left). Apparently people were lined up at customer service waiting for it.

I'm going to just order it online along with some Christmas presents. Screw looking around.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
bigdaddygamebot said:
In what way? After the wife and daughter are out for the count tonight, I was going to restart, delete my three hour save and give hard a shot.

enemies are very aggressive. ammo is almost immediately scarce. i think i need to rethink my strategy here--
i'm just in the maintenance bay, and i am getting clowned like crazy. are you just running from some of these guys? or are you using the red fuel canisters to blow them up?

but whatever, the game is just completely full of badditude.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Des0lar said:
What's the word on the PC version? Any good?

We'll find out next week. Just paid it off at Gamespot and my anticipation is growing.

Costanza said:

Wow, new franchise indeed.

Y2Kev

beelzebozo said:
enemies are very aggressive. ammo is almost immediately scarce. i think i need to rethink my strategy here--
i'm just in the maintenance bay, and i am getting clowned like crazy. are you just running from some of these guys? or are you using the red fuel canisters to blow them up?

I never really had too much of a problem. Are you on hard? Aim for the easiest severable limbs and remember to change your implement orientation if possible.

Don't forget to use stasis.

edit: You are on hard, my bad.

Draft

Pretty soon it's gonna be time to start pulling posts from when this game first came out. Show who the real fans are. Dish a little crow out to the haters.

Takuhi

beelzebozo said:

You just need to learn how to snip off their arms in as few shots as possible. Note that you can rotate the cutter with the RB button (on the 360 version).

I love it when they lunge at you and you get a killing blow (severing a limb) in mid-air and their dead body harmlessly bounces off of you.

Zeliard

Chiggs said:
We'll find out next week. Just paid it off at Gamespot and my anticipation is growing.

God, I don't feel like waiting. :lol

I'm about to go to Gamestop and just snag one of the console versions, maybe the PS3 one since I need more games for it. It would be smarter to wait until the 20th or so for the PC version, but I wanna play this now dammit.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
God, I don't feel like waiting. :lol

I'm about to go to Gamestop and just snag one of the console versions, maybe the PS3 one since I need more games for it. It would be smarter to wait until the 20th or so for the PC version, but I wanna play this now dammit.

Just grab it and be happy. You're only on this rotten planet for 70 years (if you're lucky), so you might as well enjoy yourself.

Me? I can't and won't neglect my badass pc + Samsung T260HD. There's just no way.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Takuhi said:
You just need to learn how to snip off their arms in as few shots as possible. Note that you can rotate the cutter with the RB button (on the 360 version).

totally missed this. thanks!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Draft said:
Pretty soon it's gonna be time to start pulling posts from when this game first came out. Show who the real fans are. Dish a little crow out to the haters.

I made fun of the "renegade team at EA" crap. I couldn't help it. :lol

RavenFox

Banned
Mutagenic said:
I'm about to go pick this up. Should I sit through all the comics before I start playing to give me stronger, invested feeling emotionally during the game?
You can also watch The Thing, Super Nova, Sunshine or Event Horizon. Pick your love

Draft

Chiggs said:
I made fun of the "renegade team at EA" crap. I couldn't help it. :lol
Of course! That should be made fun of. This should have been titled the official renegade thread. But that doesn't change the fact that far sighted gamers knew several things, long ago, when this game first appeared:

1. EA was quickly becoming the best developer in the industry.
2. Dead Space looked retarded good from the moment it was revealed.

Only bitter EA haters disagreed. Where are they now? Silenced. Hoping their words do not come back to haunt them.

Zeliard

Chiggs said:
Just grab it and be happy. You're only on this rotten planet for 70 years (if you're lucky), so you might as well enjoy yourself.

Me? I can't and won't neglect my badass pc + Samsung T260HD. There's just no way.

I have a strong PC I don't want to neglect either. What makes it worse is that Dead Space is just the kind of game that would benefit from a PC's superior controls and, since it puts so much emphasis on its very impressive visuals, a PC's AA/AF/higher res capabilities. But 6 days for a game like this feels long to me, and I wasn't anticipated this at all up until release. :lol

I always thought Dead Space had potential though, and it looks like it maximized it.

pr0cs

DrBo42 said:
Should I just go with controller preference?
this. both are likely close enough that controller is the only real nuance, thank god.

Az987 said:
whos idea was it to release the dvd prequel 2 weeks after the game!?

Dammit, id like to watch it before i play the game but i doubt that will happen since I have the game sitting next to me :lol
QFT, they should have put it on the BD, or make a CE edition with the comics and animation. After watching the comics I REALLY want to watch the movie as well.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Draft said:
Of course! That should be made fun of. This should have been titled the official renegade thread. But that doesn't change the fact that far sighted gamers knew several things, long ago, when this game first appeared:

1. EA was quickly becoming the best developer in the industry.
2. Dead Space looked retarded good from the moment it was revealed.

Only bitter EA haters disagreed. Where are they now? Silenced. Hoping their words do not come back to haunt them.
I'm starting to think you'll get a bigger kick talking trash to the unbelievers than actually playing the damn game. :p

Silent Hill and Dead Space are so ridiculously different from each other that I'd say it just depends on what type of horror suits you best and what you're looking for.

So far I'd say Silent Hill has a better story and is far more creepy/psychological, while Dead Space has better gameplay, better graphics (not just better than Homecoming but it's one of the best looking games I've ever played period) and is more in-your-face horror, full of jump shocks and whatnot.

But yeah, Dead Space definitely has better gameplay and is more shocking, but Silent Hill still takes the edge when it comes to story and subtlety.

Compared to other works of horror from different mediums, Dead Space is Aliens or The Thing while Silent Hill: Homecoming is more along the lines of a Stephen King novel. Personally I prefer the latter but Dead Space is most assuredly one of the best action/horror games I've ever played.

Y2Kev

OuterWorldVoice said:
My only complaint is the confusing and bizarre X/Y axis inversion placement.
What do you mean? It's under options on the start menu.

edit: If Dead Space is what renegade teams produce, we need more renegade teams at EA.

Top Bottom