• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

RavenFox

Banned
Grecco said:
They didnt have this today at the local Circuit city or gamestop. And we have a hurricane later tonight so i have to wait till tomorow or friday. :(
Really? Damn I just got mine from circuit city on 5ave here in NY with my *trumpets sound* $10 gift card. Its on tonight.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This! I downloaded the suit, installed it prior to launching the game (PS3) and I'm at the first upgrade bench and don't see any option to change suit?!?!

Someone a page or so back said that you couldn't, apparently. You are stuck once you change for that game. Just repeating what they said, don't know if this is confirmed or not.

On a side note: HURRY UP AND END, WORK!

Just finished Chapter 1 in about 42 minutes. Game so far is great. Very unnerving.

Will probably start back up a little later tonight when it's dark and everyone is gone. So I can turn my speakers and bass up.

Very worth it after waiting around for my cities fucked up public bus system.
You know the system is screwed up when you wait at a bus stop for 45 minutes and not a single bus goes by.

hydroponics
was a pretty straight forward fetch quest when i played it a couple of months ago. didn't matter cause the things you were collecting were all in separate areas and had cool stuff involved in getting them... but it was definitely of the 'find eight of these doohickeys to continue' school of game design.

stuminus3

Nuts to Resident Evil fans (no offense haha, I'm one too!)... I want to hear some impressions from System Shock 2 fans.

Seems like SS2 is the most thematically similar game. Scared the bejebus out of me, that one.

Diseased Yak said:
Someone a page or so back said that you couldn't, apparently. You are stuck once you change for that game. Just repeating what they said, don't know if this is confirmed or not.

On a side note: HURRY UP AND END, WORK!

Hmm? I read that...but I guess I don't understand..where do you get to even choose this? Someone also mentioned that in the upgrade bench there's way to change the suit but I'm not seeing it and I downloaded/installed the PS3 one. Or does this have to be done before you start a game? (If so I'll flip!)

Picked it up for the 360 on a late lunch break. Now if work would only end...

Was the armor from the eb exclusive or is it something you can also buy online? I understand there are different ones for 360 and ps3 I just wasn't sure if that was the pay and there is also a set out for free for the first few weeks.

Captain N said:
The PS3 version comes with 2 game demos on the disc! All you've got to do is install them which is pretty sweet...Burnout Paradise & Battlefield Bad Company.

Yeah, that was weird to see. Does the 360 version have these?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I was just reading through the manual, and in the back it says "Any suits or weapons you downloaded for Dead Space automatically appear in the shop." Weapons eh? That's cool, wonder what they'll off for that in DLC?

Danielsan

hearsaybear said:
Picked it up for the 360 on a late lunch break. Now if work would only end...

Was the armor from the eb exclusive or is it something you can also buy online? I understand there are different ones for 360 and ps3 I just wasn't sure if that was the pay and there is also a set out for free for the first few weeks.
The free suit is available on PSN/XBL (console exclusive suit) and the paid one is as well. There are no pre-order store exclusive suits (thank god).

This thread kills me, wish I had just pre-ordered it earlier. I keep refreshing the VGplus website. :lol

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I tried playing on hard like some people said and just got my ass handed to me. I had like 8 bullets and like 5 fucking monsters popped out of the woodwork and raped me. The monster to bullets necessary to kill them ratio is fucked up. I had to restart on normal because I don't feel like bangin my head against my TV for the rest of the game.

RavenFox

Banned
Costanza said:
fuck you toys r us

of course they didn't get it in. i exchanged my 2 placeholders for 2 more copies of saints row 2 to sell on ebay and then went over to Circuit City to pick up the last PS3 copy of Dead Space.

Gonna play as soon as I eat something.
Did you get your $10 gift certificate?

Just a suggestion for Gaffers that I put in my review. Play it on the hardest difficulty setting that you can cope with. If you normally play shooters in medium, play this in hard. It adds a lot to the experience and will get your heart racing even more.

Captain N

Jazzy Network said:
I used Gamestop EDGE credit to buy this game and the guy didn't charge me tax! Free 5 dollars woot.

i don't think you have to pay tax in some stays if you use all store credit.

HiResDes

RavenFox said:
bluray might be the reason why. But if its on 360 then slap me silly
No offense to anyone of you, but I don't even understand why anyone would want to two discs of demos that were released on the PSN and XBL several months ago. I have both of those demos, and I think they are pretty garbage, I'm just referring to the demos. So I don't understand why anybody even brought them up as if having them was signficant.

pelicansurf

Brianemone said:
Just a suggestion for Gaffers that I put in my review. Play it on the hardest difficulty setting that you can cope with. If you normally play shooters in medium, play this in hard. It adds a lot to the experience and will get your heart racing even more.

yea, i am playing it on normal from playing it on hard and it is too easy now. like ridiculous. the fear element is removed because I am killing everything in like three hits.

RavenFox

Banned
HiResDes said:
No offense to anyone of you, but I don't even understand why anyone would want to two discs of demos that were released on the PSN and XBL several months ago. I have both of those demos, and I think they are pretty garbage, I'm just referring to the demos. So I don't understand why anybody even brought them up as if having them was signficant.
Ahh there a multiple disc? Didn't know, haven't opened mine yet.

HiResDes said:

The demos are ON the one disc.
I just thought it was cool since I hadn't seen that in awhile. Would a been better if there was a demo of some games that arent out yet, though.

Captain N

HiResDes said:

There is only one blu-ray..I take it they've got the demo for those games who don't actually have an internet connect for their game system.

Concept17

HiResDes said:

Because its they come on the same disc as the game. The ps3 version anyway. When you put in your Dead Space disk, you have the option to play Dead Space, or EA demos.

pelicansurf

Also, for all those wondering how to enable their DLC suits:

Like 30 minutes into the game you'll reach a Store. When you access the Store it'll say the Obsidian Suit (for me) is for sale for 0 credits. Purchase it and it'll slap it on you. Ta-da!

Is the Obsidian suit the same level as the Elite and Scorpion? I ended up equipping the Obsidian suit before I found out it was an actual suit and not just a skin, but it doesn't appear to absorb damage noticeably better than the suit you start in.

Raistlin

pr0cs said:
You're assuming they actually bothered to differ the sound resources on both builds, pretty big assumption.

That isn't needed, at least for sound effects. The 360 version compresses the audio to Dolby Digital, whereas the PS3 can output the original PCM.

For sountracks, it matters if they are redbook or not, and how they were recorded.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Written in blood on a wall:

WE ARE SO FUCKED

Written in blood right next to that:

Hey it's okay to be fucked

Well after 4 hours of pure on the edge of your seat gameplay.. i must say this is ONE REMARKABLE GAME..im not one for straight up EVIL type games but this is not that type of game..its scary as hell though wow.

This "as i already stated" is game of the year material, it really is, i think its defiantly better then say a bioshock although not exactly a good comparison but reason why i bring up bioshock is that it was one of those games that sorta just came out of no where for alot of people..same with Dead Space..but Dead Space is defiantly imho better overall experience then bioshock.

I'll say it again..the visuals are drop dead gorgeous, simply stunning but the gameplay mechanics, the in-game menu system,etc is oh so sweet.. my goodness.

As i said and others have said.. your one lucky gamer if you got a quality sound system like i do. I have a Yamaha RX-V863, Polk 12inch powered sub,MTX center, Boston fronts and Boston surround rear's and let me just say this game EXCELS with the sound pumped up on a quality home theater setup.... man oh man is the sound in this game impressive.. anyone get to the part where your out in space, outside from the locked tight air compartment? The sound while your blasting away is so damn perfect!! Everthing..even the shadows that creep behind you when your walking away gives you the creeps lol. The story could have a little bit more meat and potatoes but hey..this game is a franchise game..there will be more of Dead Space.

This game along with the other games makes this holiday season one of the better holiday seasons we've had in a VERY long time..yeah i know we say this every holiday season :lol but serioulsy..if FarCry 2, Motostrom2, LBP, Fable2, Banjo,R2,Mirror's Edge,etc all come out shinning like they suppose too.. this holiday season will be ACE!

MiniDitka

I think I should have got one of those Petz games instead of this because it is seriously making me feel like a real pussy :lol I cant remember any game were I got freaked out and ran for my life like little a girl as I've done in this game. I'll upload some gameplay video in a bit.

HiResDes

Mr.Potato Head said:
Well after 4 hours of pure on the edge of your seat gameplay.. i must say this is ONE REMARKABLE GAME..im not one for straight up EVIL type games but this is not that type of game..its scary as hell though wow.

This "as i already stated" is game of the year material, it really is, i think its defiantly better then say a bioshock although not exactly a good comparison but reason why i bring up bioshock is that it was one of those games that sorta just came out of no where for alot of people..same with Dead Space..but Dead Space is defiantly imho better overall experience then bioshock.

I'll say it again..the visuals are drop dead gorgeous, simply stunning but the gameplay mechanics, the in-game menu system,etc is oh so sweet.. my goodness.

As i said and others have said.. your one lucky gamer if you got a quality sound system like i do. I have a Yamaha RX-V863, Polk 12inch powered sub,MTX center, Boston fronts and Boston surround rear's and let me just say this game EXCELS with the sound pumped up on a quality home theater setup.... man oh man is the sound in this game impressive.. anyone get to the part where your out in space, outside from the locked tight air compartment? The sound while your blasting away is so damn perfect!! Everthing..even the shadows that creep behind you when your walking away gives you the creeps lol. The story could have a little bit more meat and potatoes but hey..this game is a franchise game..there will be more of Dead Space.

This game along with the other games makes this holiday season one of the better holiday seasons we've had in a VERY long time..yeah i know we say this every holiday season :lol but serioulsy..if FarCry 2, Motostrom2, LBP, Fable2, Banjo,R2,Mirror's Edge,etc all come out shinning like they suppose too.. this holiday season will be ACE!
Not to mention Resistance 2, Last Remnant, Gears of War 2, Midnight Club: LA, and well even Spiderman might turn out decent.

Captain N

Did anyone else notice how the game loads the trophies every time you load the game? The Trophies load through the XMB which I haven't seen done in any other games.

grendelrt

So how many people started on hard instead of normal? I am thinking hard with the stock suit. I am just worried it may be frustrating hard.

I'm a couple hours in and I have to say that the OXM reviewer was cracked out on something. The game is great. The tension is amazing. The sounds are everywhere causing you to whip around and find... nothing. Then they mislead you!
You turn a corner and see a monster running by, so you go to follow and shoot that monster and a second monster jumps out of the vent behind you!
Dirty, dirty tricks. This game is definitely worth the experience for those of you without vaginas. I'm playing on normal right now and while I've not died yet, I don't necessarily think the experience is lacking. Don't bother trying to upgrade anything at the workbench until you have at least 3 nodes.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Mr.Potato Head said:

PS3 or 360?

Captain N

grendelrt said:
So how many people started on hard instead of normal? I am thinking hard with the stock suit. I am just worried it may be frustrating hard.

I started on hard and got killed once..After getting killed once after the first five minutes I almost went back and decided to go to normal or easy. I've changed my mind and have been playing it even more now. I am glad that I stuck it out and am getting much better at the game now.

HiResDes said:
Not to mention Resistance 2, Last Remnant, Gears of War 2, Midnight Club: LA, and well even Spiderman might turn out decent.

I liked that interview ay gametrailers with many movie industry persons and specially at the joke about gear of war type of heroes.......

RavenFox

Banned
Mr.Potato Head said:

Which version are running console wise? I might run pick up a new receiver after work. Damn, your impressions are amazing.

ultron87

Picked it up and played it for about a half hour.
Got the tram back online. I'm already really impressed with the way the game fucks with you. The best example so far is when you are heading back to where you started, you come to a hallway where you see an enemy just moving around the corner ahead of you. You follow it and see it going around another corner. You continue forward being all ready to kill it when another pops out of a vent behind you and does its best to eat you. Touche game.

Barrett2

I am 30 minutes in. This game looks & plays fantastic, so far I am very impressed. HD gaming, bitches! ^_^

Also, I have to admit I love the ability to see where your path is at any given time. For some reason I always get completely lost in games like this (Bioshock). For corridor-confused gamers like me, the option to light up the path is a great help.

Mofro

Neo Member
Captain N said:
Did anyone else notice how the game loads the trophies every time you load the game? The Trophies load through the XMB which I haven't seen done in any other games.

Yeah, I think this will be the trend. The Super Powered Cars game does the same thing

BeeDog

Captain N said:

Could you explain this further? How does it load the trophies?

Top Bottom