• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i've been on this game's dong since day one. i'm not proud of it, but i'm certainly not ashamed, considering how well it turned out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Y2Kev said:
What do you mean? It's under options on the start menu.

edit: If Dead Space is what renegade teams produce, we need more renegade teams at EA.

I mean that the first control customization button lets you invert your horizontal look. Which is weird. I can't imagine I'm the only one who did that, then had to go back into options when they realized it was horizontal, not vert.

Zeliard

Is Dead Space really that freaky?

Is it more like System Shock 2-scary (aka very, and mostly psychological), or F.E.A.R.-scary (aka not really, and mostly reliant on "boo" moments)?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Gametrailers has each of the comics up for download EXCEPT the sixth and final installment. I was hoping to throw each of these on my iPhone and watch them when I'm out later. Dammit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chapter 8:
oh that's so freaking scary. DO NOT OPEN THE ESCAPE POD *cut to scene of aliens wiping out the rescue team
:lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Zeliard said:
Is Dead Space really that freaky?

Is it more like System Shock 2-scary (aka very, and mostly psychological), or F.E.A.R.-scary (aka not really, and mostly reliant on "boo" moments)?

To me, it's like RE4 in space. In a good way.

Alex P

Stuck, help plz.

Chapter 4

I've reached the bridge, which, with all the asteroids falling, looks gorgeous...

Can't take out the boss. Apparently you can't work around the little exploit of shooting him in the back when he runs away if you go and hide on any staircases. Well done, EA. So I face him for real, unload into his back. He collapses, I shoot him in the back some more, he gets up, I shoot him in the back some more, he collapses, and then I always die before I can get him to collapse a third time. IS there a secret to this or is it just persistence?

Help with Zero-G room. I'm walking around the tube and getting pretty dizzy. I see some power pods around, but dunno how to aim them with Kinesis.

btw, GAME ROCKS and is scaring the hell outta me. i'm only playing this during the day.

Alex P

smirkrevenge said:
Help with Zero-G room. I'm walking around the tube and getting pretty dizzy. I see some power pods around, but dunno how to aim them with Kinesis.

btw, GAME ROCKS and is scaring the hell outta me. i'm only playing this during the day.

You need to
slide one of the power blocks into its placeholder on the platform across from the one you came in on. To use telekinesis, hold left trigger, aim it hit B to grab. You can walk with it and slide it in place, but you need to let go off the trigger and break the telekinesis before the power is activated.

JimmyV

Banned
Well I just picked up the game. I'm not nessesarily a big fan of survival horror games, in fact I've only played Resident Evil 4(I've had intent to start the Silent Hill series but never had the time). And I must say, this game is really amazing! While I'm only part way through chapter 1, my initial thoughts are that this was definitely well worth the $60-some-odd!!

LiquidMetal14 said:
How do you activate DLC in PS3 version?

Go to the store! If you haven't found a store yet, don't worry about it. And for god's sake, don't use any power nodes on your suit if you're going to use one of the DLC ones.

Captain N

Sweet Mother of Pearl! I've never jumped this much in a game in quite some time. I pause the game from time to time when it gets to be too much for me to handle. It rocks my socks and I don't want them back!

snatches

VindicatorZ said:
Anybdoy know if any Blockbusters are getting this game? I want to rent it, but none seem to even getting it in.

Mine just got it in a town outside Vancouver, B.C. Canada. Not sure if that helps.

linsivvi

Alex P said:
Can't take out the boss. Apparently you can't work around the little exploit of shooting him in the back when he runs away if you go and hide on any staircases. Well done, EA. So I face him for real, unload into his back. He collapses, I shoot him in the back some more, he gets up, I shoot him in the back some more, he collapses, and then I always die before I can get him to collapse a third time. IS there a secret to this or is it just persistence?

Actually, don't listen to the advice. You don't need to shoot him in the back. What I do is I shoot him in the head, right at the top center of the monster. He collapses after a couple shots and then you can just move a little bit to the side and shoot his legs. After that he's just a sitting duck. Saves a lot of ammo too.

Mirimar

Picked up the game. Everyone's right about it being atmospheric as hell. I'm so glad I have 5.1 surround headphones, it makes everything sound amazing. Just reached the first save and put it down for a bit as coincidentally, the controller needed recharging :lol This is not the sort of game you want the controller dying on you in the middle. Hard looks to be a challenge. Can't wait :D

dralla

Gonna start this later tonight, should I use the DLC suit? or does it make it too easy? I'm thinking of just using the default one.

Guled

Mango Positive said:
Go to the store! If you haven't found a store yet, don't worry about it. And for god's sake, don't use any power nodes on your suit if you're going to use one of the DLC ones.
why not?

linsivvi

Danielsan said:
The free suit is available on PSN/XBL (console exclusive suit) and the paid one is as well. There are no pre-order store exclusive suits (thank god).

The Asian edition of the game comes with the free Scorpion suit redeem code though, not to mention it's a lot cheaper....

B33

Banned
Out of curiosity...
Does this game offer a good amount of content for it's price point? Would it be wise to wait for a used or rental copy?

Honestly, I hope the game gets more interesting. I think I'm still kinda early in, chapter 4, but while the graphics are phenomenal and the gameplay is sound, the story isn't quite interesting yet, the main character is extremely dull, none of the other characters stand out that much, and I swear I've been killing the same 2-3 enemies for the past 4-5 hours of play.

The game is FUCK AWESOME other than that, I just hope things change up a bit and I hope the story, as well as the characters (especially Isaac) gets more interesting. It's just so fun and so atmospheric and that makes up for the shortcomings I have with the game at this point.

I also hope it gets scarier because so far... it's not, hardly. There's a good sense of panic and paranoia, but jump scares just don't do it for me.

Right now I'd give it an 8.5. But being only on chapter 4 out of 12, I'm sure it's bound to get much better. :D As it stands, it's a solid action game.

your_fat_uncle

Neo Member
I just bought the game...but man, that limited edition is tempting. I don't want to spend $90 extra, but there's only 1,000 of them. Very tempting.

your_fat_uncle

Neo Member
zewone said:
Dead Space. Easily.

The real question is Saints Row 2 or Dead Space. I'm still questioning my purchase. What makes it such a difficult choice is that the games are so dramatically different that there's no way to legitimately say that one's better than the other.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Alex P said:
Stuck, help plz.

Chapter 4

I've reached the bridge, which, with all the asteroids falling, looks gorgeous...

I kept luring him out hiding on the staircases, but I discovered the Ripper (WHAT AN AWESOME NAME FOR A WEAPON) can be used frontally.

Stuneseht

This game is too good and scary!! I haven't jump so much in my life. It's so bad that after every enemy i kill, I stomp on them for good measure:lol :lol (I can't be the only one).
Another thing that's great about this game is that even when you know something is coming- like seeing their shadow, it's still scares the shit out of you you once they pop out.

This game is like a resident evil game with just crimson heads.

I just finished chapter 1, on to CHAPTER 2:D

Also, a small tip: Don't trust anything you see lying on the floor!!:lol

grendelrt

The atmosphere is amazing. I dont know if this is really a spoiler, very light if so but
I was walking to a door and you see the shadow of a creature run by on the door if you are paying attention, i turn around scared shitless looking for that fucker, but he wasnt there.....
man this game going to give me a coronary

grendelrt

Stuneseht said:
This game is too good and scary!! I haven't jump so much in my life. It's so bad that after every enemy i kill, I stomp on them for good measure:lol :lol (I can't be the only one).

I think i may of stomped every single dead body so far, even human :lol

Stuneseht

grendelrt said:
The atmosphere is amazing. I dont know if this is really a spoiler, very light if so but
I was walking to a door and you see the shadow of a creature run by on the door if you are paying attention, i turn around scared shitless looking for that fucker, but he wasnt there.....
man this game going to give me a coronary

:lol :lol :lol

todahawk

dammit, the closest TRU didn't have Dead Space or Socom and their website isn't showing it shipping until the 20th. WTF?

Gonna have to call around tomorrow.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really hope I get this from gamefly by the end of the week, looks like they aren't shipping it until the 16th.

What difficulty modes are available from the start, and which one seems to suit the game the best?

newsguy

All these threads do is make me want to spend cash. I have this coming from gamefly but it hasn't shipped and all of this "BEST 5.1 EVER!!!!!" talk has me itchy. I'm going to assume those of you saying that didn't play condemned 1, and if you did don't tell me because I don't want to rush out to spend cash.

Top Bottom