• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

PatzCU

Going to pick this game up right now, can't wait!

The last scary game I played was F.E.A.R.... How does this measure up to FEAR in terms of flat out frightening gameplay? Call me a pussy, but there were times when I didn't even want to move on in FEAR because of the scariness build-up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jazzy Network said:
What's the best gun to purchase in the store? Leaning towards the flamethrower right now.
I'm a serious whore for the Ripper (seriously, a flying blade. wtffffff). Powered up it basically slices through limbs like candy, but after that I like the Line Gun. The flamethrower is good for taking out little mobs, but those are rarer. The Line Gun is slow, but wide and super powerful. It will blast the shit out of shit.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Just watched a coworker playing this... are all aliens so slow and un-scary? :p

Maybe it was the environment of playing it in his office, but uh... yeah. Didn't find the game intense at all.

It's very early in the game certainly, but I found this to be very Doom III in its atmosphere (factories, pipes, grinding doors) and monster closets.

Going to put this one on the back burner I guess. Too many games to play.

grendelrt

chespace said:

Maybe it was the environment of playing it in his office, but uh... yeah. Didn't find the game intense at all.

It's very early in the game certainly, but I found this to be very Doom III in its atmosphere (factories, pipes, grinding doors) and monster closets.

Wait until there are multiple and they tear ass towards you.

slade

Picked this game up and played for two hours. It's rare that I like a shooter nowadays but I love this game. It's basically some type of mutated hybrid of RE4. Scares are reserved to shock tactics at the moment, minus the awesome opening sequence. Graphics are great but the female leads hair stands out against all the awesomeness. It's seriously PS2 texture material.

My most anticipated game after Resident Evil 5 and it looks like it has delivered! I absolutely cannot wait and it's so weird cuz it's EA!! I've hated EA for a long long time now because of the crap they churn out and the way it shapes the industry, I do think this whole year they have been trying to improve their image and even the way they approcah game design (putting more time, effort, talent and money into projects to make sure the games are at the very least solid and playable) and funnily enough Ubisoft have taken their place (after the original Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia I thought Ubisoft were on track to becoming my next Capcom).

Anyways two awesome things have happened, EA have turned over a new leaf (i'm glad too cuz it can be hard sometimes hating the biggest 3rd party publisher in the world) and Dead Space will be awesome! Survival Horror is my fave genre and especially with minor RPG elements like in Resident Evil 4 and it looks like Dead Space will follow suit.

Also it's great to hear that there are an abundance of graphical details cuz that really makes the game for me.

1 delima for me however and that is I really need to get the best version available. I have a few preferences....e.g. prefer the 360 conrtoller for 3rd and 1st person shooters, prefer the Ps3 one for every single other type of game, secondly I love blu-ray discs...they're much harder to scratch and it somehow justifies paying such high prices for consoles and their games when you're using next-gen tech (yea I know it's silly), thirdly I don't care about multiplayer one bit but I need more and more reasons to not pay for Xbox Live gold so I want all my games on the Ps3 (yes I know Dead Space doesn't have any multiplayer, but if it ever did or it's online features I would prefer everything to be free and accessible from the get-go. Laslty I just prefer my ps3, it's a lot quieter and responsive, xmb more responsive, hdd installs, more options to configure audio and video, turning controller on is quicker, controller doesn't turn off after idle....just little things here and there imo make the ps3 better....also I have had three 360's (all manufacturing faults 2 x red rings and 1 x disc tray being crap) now so I just don't wanna have to rely on something that's so unreliable.

I have read a couple of places that the 360 version is a bit sharper so I think that and the controller will tip it for me. Also I HATE the new L2 and R2 buttons on the Ps3 controllers! They should really put it back to the old design, your fingers slip off them too easily (the stupid downwards curve they have) and the worst part about it is they are sooo senszitive, barely touch them and it registers you're pressing them, it was the biggest pain in the ass when playing MGS4 because every now and again the menus would pop up when I seriously wasn't even pressing them (in the heat of battle obviously I would very lightly touch them while holding the controller etc but I swear I wasn't pressing them...)...anyways...

Has anyone played both versions and can see any differences at all? Even minor ones? Anyways I might go with the 360 version for it's controller cuz even though the L2 and R2 buttons aren't major buttons in this games I don't want it being an issue like in MGS4 (fuck that was annoying....seriously...Sony need to redesign the controller and fast because it is a hardware fault imo). Also I can't think of a single example where the 360 version of a multiplatform game (major ones atleast) where the Ps3 has been the superior version.

Anyways any info on either would be appreciated. Again this is my most anticipated game after Resident Evil 5 so it is very important to me.

Captain N

chespace said:

what? the enemies run at you very fast..some of them will jump from the other side of the hallway and land on you..in a matter of seconds.

Spoo

Chapter 2 here. I must say -- and yes, veteran SH fanboy here (sans 4) -- this game IS scary. But it's not like a "oh god that's creepy" kind of scary (though it may become that later on), it's just like a constant "oh fuck" everytime you walk down a hallway. When you're attacked, if they get close to you (and they do), its just plain scary imho. You're never safe!

Can't wait to get deeper into the game, but I'm playing normal and it is a tad easy. I'm not very far; I may start over on hard.

Anyway, the game is fucking awesome. The controls are a tad complex I think, but the in-game menus REALLY help.

chespace said:

For the first couple of chapters you never really encounter necros in groups of more than one or two, but later on it does get pretty intense as they will charge you more than they do early on. Encountering them in zero G is pretty damn scary as well when you see one sperming its way towards you :lol

The game does have a fair amount of similarities to Doom 3 like you mentioned, however.

McLovin

This game is sold out everywhere.. I've never been so happy to get the display game from GameStop :lol
I had the ultimate tease today.. I was at Target looking for Deadspace and they had 5-6 copies of LBP in the display case. I thought I would play it cool and be like.. hey can I get that game? When the guy saw it was LBP he quickly grabbed them all and said this wasn't supposed to be out yet :(

Yeah the scares seem to be on the level of doom 3, but thats a lot more scare than RE4 packs. Not that it devalues RE4 in any way, id rather shoot zombies than be scared at every turn.

Also you can tell me i am playing the game wrong but i dont care, i love the assault rifle. Why cut them when you can shred them to bits.

Muffdraul

Is there a trick to getting Dead Space to display in 1080p? The back of the case says it supports 1080p as long as it's via an HDMI connection to an HDCP compliant device. I just checked and confirmed that my Bravia is HDCP compliant. But it's displaying in 720, and I'm not seeing any way to set it to 1080p. I've checked the TV settings, the PS3 settings, the Dead Space option menu... This is really a buzzkill, it looks so much worse than all of the videos I've seen.

RavenFox

Banned
KGKK said:
Played some last night. My god the graphics, the sounds, the gore, the everything:D
Man I got it today and Im playing right now. Holy Shit its like a movie in my hands. The feeling of complete dread is fully realized as you explore these blood stained deserted halls. I thought I couldn't do it but I mustered up the cohones to keep going. wooo damn this game I tell ya to good to be true. Well done EA

Y2Kev said:
I'm a serious whore for the Ripper (seriously, a flying blade. wtffffff). Powered up it basically slices through limbs like candy, but after that I like the Line Gun. The flamethrower is good for taking out little mobs, but those are rarer. The Line Gun is slow, but wide and super powerful. It will blast the shit out of shit.
LOL Dude I was about to ask what gun should I go with and you just solved it for me. PS3 Obsidian suit is damn sic.

Flunkie

Banned
This game is superb. At the end of the first chapter, I was kind of getting bored, but then chapter 2 came in and threw all this cool shit at me and now I love it. :lol

Also, I wasn't expecting (early chapter 2 spoiler)
kinesis

Muffdraul said:
Is there a trick to getting Dead Space to display in 1080p? The back of the case says it supports 1080p as long as it's via an HDMI connection to an HDCP compliant device. I just checked and confirmed that my Bravia is HDCP compliant. But it's displaying in 720, and I'm not seeing any way to set it to 1080p. I've checked the TV settings, the PS3 settings, the Dead Space option menu... This is really a buzzkill, it looks so much worse than all of the videos I've seen.
You have a 1080p set?

Then go to your display settings (PS3) and uncheck 720p as a supported resolution.

BTW I totally caved and picked up the PS3 version earlier today (I'll trade it in next week for the PC version) and this game is fucking gooooooooooooood. Fantastic atmosphere.

Muffdraul said:

Same thing happens to me, I have a sharp aquos but it runs in 720p, my guess is that the game doesn't support 1080?

Hellshadow said:
Same thing happens to me, I have a sharp aquos but it runs in 720p, my guess is that the game doesn't support 1080?
The game supports 1080 just fine, if your set is native 1080p then just uncheck 720p from the supported resolution list in the display setup.

Captain N

Revolutionary said:
So wait, the DLC suits can't be upgraded?

Then what the hell have I been upgrading my suit for (currently have on Obsidian)?

WTF!

they can't be upgraded because they are already the highest level you'll find.

Captain N said:
they can't be upgraded because they are already the highest level you'll find.
I find that a little hard to believe, seeing as how some enemies can take me down in 1-2 hits... unless Hard really is THAT Hard (that the highest level suit can still be killed in 1-2 hits in the first 3 chapters).

MickeyKnox said:
I haven't installed mine yet but aside from being Lv5 armour are the health and air nodes also maxed?

I have the scorpion suit, and the health is not maxed, it seems to have maxed inventory slots.

Are we sure the Obsidian armor is Level 5 like the Elite/Scorpion? I find that hard to believe since in going from the Level 1 to Obsidian rig, it seemed like I was taking just about as much damage as before.

Hellshadow said:
I have the scorpion suit, and the health is not maxed, it seems to have maxed inventory slots.

Maxing out health can only be done via the workbench, and those HP upgrades would apply to any rig you are wearing.

I am pretty sure the best compliment a horror game can get is "I hope i have the balls to play through it".

Edit: And i hope i really do, because jeez the only survival horror game i finished was RE4 but thats about it.

SaitoH

On chapter 2 so far, and loving the game. This is what I hoped Bioshock was going to be like. Just downloaded the obsidian suit, but I'm not sure if I should use it. Sounds like it doesn't make much of a difference other than looking cool.

Anyway, when you play, make sure to dim the lights and crank up the surround.

Median

God, the enemies like to appear both in front AND behind you sometimes. That certainly makes it "someone just shit in my pants" scary.

RavenFox

Banned
Wow have you guys seen how water falls off the suit? I have the PS3 version and when water hits that beautiful obsidian armor its soooo damn beautiful. Reminds me of Aliens when their lurking in the shadows and then they slowly come out and you see the water[or whatever the hell it is] runs down their exoskeleton.

Sallokin

I tried on the DLC suits just to check them out. I'm curious though. Is it possible to go back to your original suit? I think I'm just missing the option in the store, but I honestly don't see a way to do it.

Zophar

I just finished the first chapter and I'm not really scared yet. :(

The atmosphere is there and seeing as this is a new IP I've no idea what to expect and what kind of rules this game plays by like other horror games (ex. monsters will spawn behind you every time you pick up a hidden item in Doom, or you know you're about to me fucked with in the head when you entire a room in Silent Hill is in any way out of the ordinary), but I dunno, there's an abundance of health items and ammo that sort of kills any kind of fear of death.

Plus they set the lighting calibration way too high. I'd recommend dropping the brightness 3 or 4 clicks below where it tells you to get the best effect.

Regardless I had zero expectations and interest in the game before reading this thread so it'll be hard for the game to really disappoint me, so I'm still thoroughly optimistic to see where this goes.

It seems I've gotten some clarification on the upgrading suit thing.
The suits themselves have base attributes (extra armor, etc.), but the "Rig" upgrades at the Bench are for YOU, not the suit, themselves.
So these DLC suits, when maxed out, will be better than the vanilla suit maxed out, basically.

fernoca

Just got this today, thought I wasn't going to play it a lot..since we're under Hurricane Warning..and I was supposed to get out of work at 10PM....but got off 4 hours earlier...because of that spend 2.5 hours playing till late in Chapter 2, were I died in a really stupid way, so I turned it off...

The hurricane is no longer coming, so I might jump in again later..

But love it so far, is like a mix of: Bioshock, Dark Sector, Doom...

HugBasket

Banned
fernoca said:
Just got this today, thought I wasn't going to play it a lot..since we're under Hurricane Warning..and I was supposed to get out of work at 10PM....but got off 4 hours earlier...because of that spend 2.5 hours playing till late in Chapter 2, were I died in a really stupid way, so I turned it off...

The hurricane is no longer coming, so I might jump in again later..

But love it so far, is like a mix of: Bioshock, Dark Sector, Doom...
NO NO NO NO NO

System Shock.

Zophar said:
I just finished the first chapter and I'm not really scared yet. :(

The atmosphere is there and seeing as this is a new IP I've no idea what to expect and what kind of rules this game plays by like other horror games (ex. monsters will spawn behind you every time you pick up a hidden item in Doom, or you know you're about to me fucked with in the head when you entire a room in Silent Hill is in any way out of the ordinary), but I dunno, there's an abundance of health items and ammo that sort of kills any kind of fear of death.

Plus they set the lighting calibration way too high. I'd recommend dropping the brightness 3 or 4 clicks below where it tells you to get the best effect.

Regardless I had zero expectations and interest in the game before reading this thread so it'll be hard for the game to really disappoint me, so I'm still thoroughly optimistic to see where this goes.

The music and shriek effects are what make it scary for me. Based on what I saw on one of their vid docs, there are no rules; they will use a scary thing once or twice, but that's it. The one that made me shit my pants was
after you get one of the power nodes in the med lab on ch. 2

Anyways, this game kicks ass and must be played by anyone, especially those who enjoyed Bioshock, System Shock or RE4. Also, the PS3 suit looks amazing.

I just can't get over how beautifully polished this game is. I find myself almost purposely looking for blemishes in the visuals and sound department, but it's been completely futile. The game play doesn't necessarily introduce anything new to the genre, but for any game to basically replicate the RE4 formula so fucking well and then some is mighty impressive on its own. And this is just from an hour or so of play I've had with the game. And you know what? I'm deleting my save file and starting over just to see that intro again. So fucking good.

Oh, and I was very pleased to see that the attract reel is the "Lullaby" trailer from E3. I absolutely love that trailer, glad it's here in some form.

If any game needs to utilize the screenshot function on the PS3, it's this one. I hope it gets patched for it, or maybe it's in the game already and we don't know about it.

Top Bottom