• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Flunkie

Banned
perineumlick said:
If any game needs to utilize the screenshot function on the PS3, it's this one. I hope it gets patched for it, or maybe it's in the game already and we don't know about it.
Agreed.

Try print screen.

I got it on 360.

perineumlick said:
If any game needs to utilize the screenshot function on the PS3, it's this one. I hope it gets patched for it, or maybe it's in the game already and we don't know about it.

seriously, there were multiple occasions while playing today that made me want to be able to use the function.

I played to the end of the 4th chapter. Reeeeally good. My friend and I kept laughing whenever they had Isaac doing all the dirty work. "Hey good work man, now go do this then that, then that.

/hour later

Oh good! But we have a problem, you gotta do this now."

Also notice how similar it really is to Bioshock in it's structure. Even has a
poisoned Hydroponics facility

And the vacuum stuff is bloody amazing. I wish I could play the entire game like that.

RavenFox

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
remember its from a cell phone. PS3 Obsidian Armor.
img015.jpg

img017.jpg

Peng ;-). Im searching for it.

GuessWho said:
how are the people playing it on hard finding it?
Tough but manageable.

I've only run out of ammo once, which had me running for my life from some enemies and closing doors behind me. Thank god they can't get through them.

Oh, and the QTE events on Hard are brutal. Tap on that button fast or they WILL kill you with the quickness.

I've played the first chapter on hard and after walking into the med lab in chapter 2, I kinda regret my difficulty choice. I keep getting my ass handed to me. It seems to take 6 shots to kill anybody, so if you miss once you are out of ammo and fucked. Maybe I'll restart on normal.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
fistfulofmetal said:
I played to the end of the 4th chapter. Reeeeally good. My friend and I kept laughing whenever they had Isaac doing all the dirty work. "Hey good work man, now go do this then that, then that.

/hour later

Oh good! But we have a problem, you gotta do this now."

Also notice how similar it really is to Bioshock in it's structure. Even has a
poisoned Hydroponics facility

And the vacuum stuff is bloody amazing. I wish I could play the entire game like that.
Yeah, that environment reminds me of bioshock a lot...but I think I actually like the
boss
there SO MUCH.

Flunkie

Banned
UnholySpectacle said:
I've played the first chapter on hard and after walking into the med lab in chapter 2, I kinda regret my difficulty choice. I keep getting my ass handed to me. It seems to take 6 shots to kill anybody, so if you miss once you are out of ammo and fucked. Maybe I'll restart on normal.
That's exactly what happened to me. Hard seems too punishing, and Normal seems too easy. A middle ground would be perfect.. for me, at least.

dreamer3kx said:
are you guys using the dlc suit in the beginning?
I am, simply for the extra inventory slots.

RavenFox said:
I am. look above.
Is that the
flamethrower
? I chose the
"assault rifle"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Flunkie said:
That's exactly what happened to me. Hard seems too punishing, and Normal seems too easy. A middle ground would be perfect.. for me, at least.

Is that the
flamethrower
? I chose the
"assault rifle"
Well you're using the DLC suit...so it's easier for you...

RavenFox

Banned
Flunkie said:

Is that the
flamethrower
? I chose the
"assault rifle"
Its the Line Gun.One hit kills from this bitch

Enjoying this SO much.

Not to say that it is similar to Bioshock but this is my 2008 Bioshock. Lots of polish. A very tight control scheme.

Enjoying the story although I'm pretty sure how the story is going and I'm only through chapter four. :)

SUCH an impressive game.

andymcc

Banned
just started playing... only about 2 hours in... awesome, awesome game.

i was really nervous about the strategic dismemberment getting monotonous at first but.. it isn't. really commend the presentation, just an awesome game. hopefully this surprises a lot of people and we see this as a mainstay for EA.

I started on normal. It was easy in the beginning, but it gets a bit harder when you get more mobs after you. Also I'm a cheap ass so I don't spend money unless absolutely needed.

Just started playing. Pretty awesome opening to a game. The opening shot of the ship approaching the planet is really beautiful. Especially with the sunlight reflecting through the window.

Got a question. Is the black captain based on an actor? He looks familiar.

seems like your inventory gets filled up quickly in the beginning so I have to pick which item is more important, was this done on purpose or do they simply give you too much items?

Mirimar

dreamer3kx said:
seems like your inventory gets filled up quickly in the beginning so I have to pick which item is more important, was this done on purpose or do they simply give you too much items?
You get a safe to keep items. There's even a trophy/achievement related to it.

gamerecks said:
Anybody use the other armor? the preorder one?

Ayup. Using the 360 one.

Once you go to it, you can't switch back...or I haven't figured out how...

Which is a shame because I like the look of the original suit but the extra inventory slots in the pre order suit is pretty handy.

There's a trophy/achievement named "Epic Tier 3 Engineer" for completing the game on the hardest difficulty setting. Is that referring to Hard, or Impossible?

Captain N

possible HUGE MAJOR Ending spoiler?
they reveal his face and its a big deal.
thats what the writer of the game says anyway.

Okay, I just reached the section where your homies get on the tram.

Honestly, this is a great game. Good survival horror games have enemies that aren't really a great threat to you, but make you feel anxiety and terror when you face them. This is good, because you can encounter a lot of them without being overwhelmed. Controlling your fear is the key! Don't flip out and start blasting, take your time, and you can save a lot of ammo. The sound engineering is out of this world, no, that was not intentional. I wish I lived in an Ishi Mura.

Captain N

vas_a_morir said:
Okay, I just reached the section where your homies get on the tram.

Honestly, this is a great game. Good survival horror games have enemies that aren't really a great threat to you, but make you feel anxiety and terror when you face them. This is good, because you can encounter a lot of them without being overwhelmed. Controlling your fear is the key! Don't flip out and start blasting, take your time, and you can save a lot of ammo. The sound engineering is out of this world, no, that was not intentional. I wish I lived in an Ishi Mura.

just not that one.

I found myself freaking out at the start of the game and since then I've slowed down my shooting and aiming and found that it helps me get kills faster.

I'm absolutely in love with the game's hud and overall presentation, slickest shit ever. I demand that other developers ape the shit out of it.

Captain N said:
just not that one.

I found myself freaking out at the start of the game and since then I've slowed down my shooting and aiming and found that it helps me get kills faster.

The incas lived in ishi muras.

I hate those Monsters to Ponsters! I loved Event Horizon, and this is like an event horizon game. That's awesome. I wonder if it syncs up with a Tool record?

Ok I'm stuck further along mid-Chapter 8. I need help from someone that's past it...
I'm stuck in the big room where you have to attach the SOS beacon to the asteroid and release the tethers. How the fuck do I slow down those huge gyroscope-barriers that crush me whenever I try to plant the beacon?! The animation takes like 10 seconds to initialize and by that time I'm mince meat.
Thank you kindly...

EDIT: Nevermind, got it...

MorisUkunRasik said:
Yea, the health bar, the menus everything is so seamless

I don't know, in my opinion, it kinda complicates things. Like, instead of having everything in one easy to find menu that breaks game continuity, I find myself trying different buttons before finding what I need to find. I'm sure you get used to it after a while, but at first, the controls are a bit daunting.

Tendo

what is the difference between hard and normal? I'm on hard chapter 2 and thinking of restarting on normal just to complete it. Game is kicking my ass :(

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm at the first save point in the 2nd Chapter. Playing on hard, without the DLC suits. It's rough, in fact I almost restarted the first time I ran outta ammo, but I kept plugging away after restarting and now I'm getting the hang of it. Dismemberment all the way, if you aren't doing that you won't survive on hard mode. As someone stated above, even a couple missed shots will cost you sometimes. I'm still debating on restarting and playing normal first, but I'll keep going, hopefully it won't get too frustrating. Very tempted about all this "hard mode + dlc suit" talk hehe!

Presentation-wise, this is the most impressive next-gen game I've played, or at least in the top 3 alongside Crysis and Gears of War. So very impressive. The sound is beyond phenomenal. The bass literally shook my house a few times, though that might be more due to my Epik subwoofer than anything, but only a handful of blu-ray movies do that so I'd rank Dead Space right up there alongside them (think Cloverfield or Transformers). I ended up putting headphones on after the wife went to bed and it's just as intense, perhaps more so. I love the little things, like the whispered instructions in the bathrooms and the way you'll see shadows of things up ahead that aren't there when you walk on up.

Scare-wise, I wasn't too impressed at first to be honest, very Doom 3-ish opening, but man did I ever revise that opinion in short order! I nearly had a heart attack during one early scene (no story spoilers)
where you enter the huge open tunnel on the way to fix the tram and the sound blasts bass at you for like 5 minutes all of a sudden
. There are "boo!" type scares, sure, but mostly it's just the oppressive atmosphere and it just keeps getting more and more oppressive the further you go. I'd rank it ahead of Silent Hill: Homecoming already, and I loved that game to death.

I can already tell that I'll end up loving this game just from what I've seen so far. It's a must buy for horror game fans, for sure, and for fans of Bioshock, Doom 3, and most especially System Shock 2, which it obviously borrows heavy from.

I can't wait to see where the rest of the game takes me...

Top Bottom