• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

HugBasket

Banned
so i'm going to be picking up the game today and i've got questions

would a gametype like mercenaries from re4 work in this game?
is hard mode hard or do you all just suck?

grendelrt

Y2Kev said:
My plasma cutter was maxed out in terms of damage and upgraded in capacity and reload time. After I got the level 4 suit schematic I just switched over to the Scorpion Rig since it was a marginal upgrade and I then spent my power nodes on maxing out HP (did not touch air). I have a few upgrades in the Ripper and one power upgrade in the Line Gun.

This isn't really a huge spoiler but it is about a post-game bonus:
you get 10 power nodes upon completion

Not a story or gameplay spoiler, but don't put your controller down when you beat the game.

Game clock says 9 hours, but that doesn't count deaths and stuff...I'm gonna guess it was closer to 11 just based on my memory.

If you upgrade from the level 4 suit to the downloadable suits, woudl you lose all the nodes you have put into the suit?

Draft

HugBasket said:
so i'm going to be picking up the game today and i've got questions

would a gametype like mercenaries from re4 work in this game?
is hard mode hard or do you all just suck?
It would, but there is none. Maybe in Dead Space 2. Or as DLC. I'd buy it.

There is a hard mode and then an impossible mode.

Zeliard

Pretty impressive how the PS3 version of Dead Space is holding down a 90 Metacritic. I don't even think EA themselves saw that coming, back when the game was first shown. The 360 version is at 88 but would probably be sporting a 90 as well if it wasn't for that OXM 6.5/10 outlier score. A 90+ Metacritic isn't a very common sight.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Draft said:

Does the game seem like it has a decent amount of replayability?

HugBasket

Banned
Draft said:

i know there is an impossible mode but i was to make sure that hard mode is hard enough that impossible mode is impossible.

Draft

Papercuts said:
Does the game seem like it has a decent amount of replayability?
Absolutely. Assuming you did a linear difficulty progression from normal to impossible, that's three full difficulties to play through. On top of that, you have a genuine upgrade path that encourages you to emphasize particular weapons or types of combat techniques. So on one playthrough you could focus on the Plasma Cutter, and on another the Flame Thrower, and so on. Finally, there's a new game +, which allows you to continue a game you've already beaten in order to max out your upgrades.

Zeliard

Draft said:
Absolutely. Assuming you did a linear difficulty progression from normal to impossible, that's three full difficulties to play through. On top of that, you have a genuine upgrade path that encourages you to emphasize particular weapons or types of combat techniques. So on one playthrough you could focus on the Plasma Cutter, and on another the Flame Thrower, and so on. Finally, there's a new game +, which allows you to continue a game you've already beaten in order to max out your upgrades.

I'm assuming it's like NG, in that you can't start a New Game + on a different difficulty than what you beat it at, right?

Though I suppose you could just use the suped-up DLC suit for a similar effect.

Draft

Zeliard said:
I'm assuming it's like NG, in that you can't start a New Game + on a different difficulty than what you beat it at, right?

Though I suppose you could just use the suped-up DLC suit for a similar effect.
That's correct. I don't even know why you'd want to, though. The game is not balanced around having a bunch of gear to start out with on the higher difficulty settings. You're still supposed to go through the normal character progression, it's just harder while you do it.

RE4 had a new game + too, and I never used it. Not fun at all running around the Ganado village with a maxed shotgun and body armor and a dozen grenades.

Captain N

i hate not being able to play this with my wife being home. She had nightmares from some of the most random things ever. I just want to know how it sends..will someone PM me the ending?

Just got a PS3 copy. It was hard enough to find too, had to turn down a few 360 copies.

EGM has an extra 20% trade in coupon for Gamecrazy if anyone is interested by the way.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Captain N said:
i hate not being able to play this with my wife being home. She had nightmares from some of the most random things ever. I just want to know how it sends..will someone PM me the ending?
Time to upgrade wifes.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Draft said:
RE4 had a new game + too, and I never used it. Not fun at all running around the Ganado village with a maxed shotgun and body armor and a dozen grenades.

it really was sort of disappointing how unfun a concept as cool as the chicago typewriter was. where's the fun if you're essentially rambogod with unlimited ammo? nothing will ever top that first time through the game, struggling and fretting over what weapon to upgrade or buy next, delighting when i could finally afford to pump up the power on a shotgun or add that sweet scope to my sniper rifle.

sorry for the re4 tangent, but as you often say, game of forever

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Captain N said:

Do you have more than one TV in the house?

VinZuku

I don't know if I can adequately describe just how incredible this game is...the atmosphere, the controls, the graphics, the lighting, the awesome SQUISH when I boot an enemy, the ATMOSPHERE, the sound, the writing...EVERYTHING about this game just screams Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y. I'm going back and playing some more.

Question:
Is Hard the "hardest setting" required for the Trophy? Or is there going to be a Crushing-like difficulty unlocked after beating it once? >.<

Costanza

Banned
Revolutionary said:
Question:
Is Hard the "hardest setting" required for the Trophy? Or is there going to be a Crushing-like difficulty unlocked after beating it on Hard? >.<
"Impossible" is unlocked when you beat it.

Raistlin

After the fist playthrough, you unlock 'Impossible' mode.

I have no idea whether that mode applies to the trophy though.

Somnia

No real spoiler so don't freak out =) But I just picked up a audio file on Chapter 7
that had a guy talking about how he was going to end it because he did not want to be like the rest of them...so he started cutting off his limbs while recording
...holy shit =O

Draft

beelzebozo said:
it really was sort of disappointing how unfun a concept as cool as the chicago typewriter was. where's the fun if you're essentially rambogod with unlimited ammo? nothing will ever top that first time through the game, struggling and fretting over what weapon to upgrade or buy next, delighting when i could finally afford to pump up the power on a shotgun or add that sweet scope to my sniper rifle.

sorry for the re4 tangent, but as you often say, game of forever
RE4 is a game I enjoy more every time I play it, because I get better at it every time. It's like replaying a schmup over and over- the pleasure comes from mastering a set of AI or pattern driven challenges.

Making upgrade decisions and trying to do wacky things with the weapons (like a mine thrower only run or whatever) is what kept me going back to RE4 time after time after time. I feel like limited resource driven upgrade systems are one of the best, most engrossing things you can put into an action game.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
This game reminds me of Doom 3 in a lot of ways, but that's not a bad thing. The audio & text logs, certain monster closet tricks (enemies pretending to be dead, for example. Doom 3 taught me to always put a bullet into anything lying on the ground), and a lot of the environment design all call back to Doom 3.

I've only put an hour and a half into Dead Space, but so far I'm loving it. The UI is brilliant (my only complaint is that I'm not sure how much plasma energy I have. Any way of checking?), the sound design is excellent, and the combat is fucking awesome. The weapons in Dead Space get it right, just like the weapons in RE4 you get very strong feedback when you fire them. The strong audio work on the weapons coupled with the dismemberment mechanic (a great way to provide visual feedback) give your weapons a real punch and you actually feel like you're dishing out some serious pain. The visuals are also pretty good, although I guess I'm not as impressed because I finally finished Crysis a couple days ago and the final few areas in that game are mind-blowing. But anyway, I'm loving the game so far and I can't wait to dive into it this weekend.

newsguy

I just called fucking gamefly. Motherfucks. I'm sick of having an empty queue with one game and not getting the game on time. Judging from others here I know these assholes didn't get alot of copies. I spoke to the guy for 30 minutes and he went on about how Gamefly has to be fair. FUCK YOUR FAIR BITCH, fair is prorating me the money I pay for everyday I have to wait for a title you fucked me out of.

Next time I'm in Cali I'm taking a fucking plasma cutter to Gamefly HQ on bring your child to work day.

The squish squish sound you get when walking on fallen enemies or scattered corpses freaks me out all the time because I think I'm getting attacked again. So good.

stuminus3

Somnia said:
No real spoiler so don't freak out =) But I
just picked up a audio file on
Chapter 7
that had a guy talking about how he was going to end it because he did not want to be like the rest of them...so he started cutting off his limbs while recording...
holy shit =O
That kinda is a spoiler, dude. A small thing, but part of the fun of the game, a huge part of the atmosphere, is having this stuff happen unexpectedly.

pr0cs

newsguy said:
I just called fucking gamefly. Motherfucks. I'm sick of having an empty queue with one game and not getting the game on time.
isn't the solution here to actually BUY the game, you know so the developers can make some money and prove to EA that these type of games are worth to be made (as opposed to the endless madden and sports rehashes?)
Sorry but I don't even remotely feel sorry that your RENTAL isn't coming on day 1.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game reminds me of Doom 3 in a lot of ways, but that's not a bad thing. The audio & text logs, certain monster closet tricks (enemies pretending to be dead, for example. Doom 3 taught me to always put a bullet into anything lying on the ground), and a lot of the environment design all call back to Doom 3.
That actually appeals to me as I also loved Doom 3. Dead Space seems to offer more environment variety and a deeper, more interesting combat system (along with stuff like Zero-G). The menu system in Dead Space is certainly unique, but so was the system used in Doom 3 (the high-res, mouse driven in-game interface).

Dead Space seems to have successfully fused a number of different games into one cohesive package (Doom 3 + RE4 + System Shock 2 + some new ideas).

newsguy

pr0cs said:
isn't the solution here to actually BUY the game, you know so the developers can make some money and prove to EA that these type of games are worth to be made (as opposed to the endless madden and sports rehashes?)
Sorry but I don't even remotely feel sorry that your RENTAL isn't coming on day 1.

Sorry richie rich. I buy enough games, and the ones I buy better have alot of fucking replay value. This game sounds awesome, but unfortunately we don't all have big money like you to buy all 30 triple A titles coming out this fall. I'm not asking for your sympathy, I'm making a point that gamefly didn't order enough of this game.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
sublime085 said:
Just got a PS3 copy. It was hard enough to find too, had to turn down a few 360 copies.

EGM has an extra 20% trade in coupon for Gamecrazy if anyone is interested by the way.

Damn, me too. I went to TRU to exchange Socom for the PS3 version of Dead Space and they said it was the first PS3 game they had ever sold out of on the first day. I had to settle for the 360 version, which is really kind of upsetting. Not only do I just prefer playing on the PS3, but I really liked how the cover art of Dead Space looked on the PS3. I hate the 360 green boxes, they're so fugly. Plus I'm more into trophies since I'm new to the 360 and am way behind with regard to achievement points.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
grendelrt said:
If you upgrade from the level 4 suit to the downloadable suits, woudl you lose all the nodes you have put into the suit?
You would, but I did not spend any nodes on the suit. I saved them specifically for that.

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
You would, but I did not spend any nodes on the suit. I saved them specifically for that.

Wait, so you can use the DLC suit in a new game+? That's badass. I figured you'd have to start an entirely new game to be able to use that suit, since in most games you can start a new game+ only with the stuff you finished the last game with.

Somnia

stuminus3 said:
That kinda is a spoiler, dude. A small thing, but part of the fun of the game, a huge part of the atmosphere, is having this stuff happen unexpectedly.

went ahead and spoiled it then...didnt think much of it personally

pr0cs

newsguy said:
Sorry richie rich. I buy enough games, and the ones I buy better have alot of fucking replay value. This game sounds awesome, but unfortunately we don't all have big money like you to buy all 30 triple A titles coming out this fall. I'm not asking for your sympathy, I'm making a point that gamefly didn't order enough of this game.
I have to wait till the 23rd to get the game because I bought it from Amazon and got it shipped (tax in) for $47. There are a lot of ways to save on the cost of games, use them and you'll be able to own a lot of games rather than complain about renting them.

newsguy

beelzebozo said:
i'm not sure having an extra $60 to dedicate to your hobby would qualify you as wealthy

WTF argument are you guys making? My point was simply Gamefly must not have forseen this game's popularity and didn't order enough copies. I'm not derailing the thread for this garbage. We can start another thread, list every AAA title coming out this fall, and do the math.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
hey, relax. i'll have my servant go to the butcher and buy your family the biggest christmas ham in the store to make up for this misunderstanding. and three lumps of coal an hour for your fire from now on

Zeliard

I have no doubt this was already asked, but I can't find it via a quick forum search and I don't have time to google (gotta get back to work): how many chapters does the game have in total? Spoiler it, I guess, since others might not wanna know.

Zeliard said:
I have no doubt this was already asked, but I can't find it via a quick forum search and I don't have time to google (gotta get back to work): how many chapters does the game have in total? Spoiler it, I guess, since others might not wanna know.

According to Xbox Achievments

Zeliard said:

12!

stuminus3

The actual game itself spoils how many chapters there are, you can review audio, video and text logs on a handy HUD menu that's categorized by chapter. :lol

Top Bottom