• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

The End

question:

I can't get Dead Space until I get paid at the end of the month, but I want the first-two-weeks armor. My brother has it already, if I have him recover my profile on his 360 and download it, can I use it when I get the game? Will my brother still be able to download it on his account?

Fady K said:
Finishing up Silent Hill Homecoming and then jumping right into this. I dont remember the last time I was finishing up an *excellent* horror game before jumping into another *excellent* one from the look of things.

THIS right FUCKING here!!

The game has some flaws but that's to be expected with a new IP. However the atmosphere is incredibly tense and claustrophobic as many have said. I was never a BIG fan of RE4 but I think Dead Space has compelled me to give it another shot, and RE5 too. However, Event Horizon + The Thing <System Shock 2> is can only be a WINNING combination. I LOVE it. Up to chapter 8 and though a few chapters I just really wanted to get done, I look back and give a nod to the events that unfolded in each. Man, the game is beautiful....such a different take on deep space (as opposed to Mass Effect) or something. An unknown vacuum...death, and all that.

Right now I just can't wait until it's time again to play Dead Space brought to us by EA Redwood (THANK YOU!)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i finished the first chapter of the game last night, and i love it. i didn't expect it to be nearly so intense; there's a huge difference between watching videos of the game and actually playing it yourself. i really do find myself freaking out a little when one of those things comes around a dark corner, or when two of them sandwich from either side on a walkway.

i hope the weapons are all as varied as they sound, because that means multiple times through for me, baby.

Barrett2

This is the first game in a few months that I am really excited to get home and play. And coming from me, someone who avoids this genre, that is saying something.

Lakitu

st5fu
It's strange, I hate horror movies, but love horror games. One of my favourite genres in fact. I guess it's due to the fact that you are part of it and the atmosphere gets you in and scares the crap out of you. I remember playing REmake for the first time in the dark around 5 years ago. I went out into a corridor in the mansion, and a crimson head burst through the door. I crapped my pants, and paused it. Then went downstairs because I was so frightened.

Fady K

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
THIS right FUCKING here!!

The game has some flaws but that's to be expected with a new IP. However the atmosphere is incredibly tense and claustrophobic as many have said. I was never a BIG fan of RE4 but I think Dead Space has compelled me to give it another shot, and RE5 too. However, Event Horizon + The Thing <System Shock 2> is can only be a WINNING combination. I LOVE it. Up to chapter 8 and though a few chapters I just really wanted to get done, I look back and give a nod to the events that unfolded in each. Man, the game is beautiful....such a different take on deep space (as opposed to Mass Effect) or something. An unknown vacuum...death, and all that.

Right now I just can't wait until it's time again to play Dead Space brought to us by EA Redwood (THANK YOU!)

Haha, yeah good times for us, thats for sure. As you said - I can only agree that The Thing + SS2 + Event Horizon = a very VERY good thing, and from the look of it, Dead Space is the result.

Im really glad EA has changed into THIS. Sure a lot of crap is gettin greenlighted (look at their Wii and DS lineup at BuddyC's latest release thread) - but when they greenligh stuff like this - as well as help publish games for Armature (ex-Metroid Prime people) and Suda 51's next game (which is horror as well), it really puts a smile to my face.

Based on watching *just* the developer diaries on this game, you sense that the developers are truly passionate about making a special horror game, and the effort put into strengthening the IP through the free animated comics as well as the upcoming animated feature (which I wish was included with the game) shows that EA is defintiely taking this new IP seriously.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
commariodore64 said:
This actually brings up my biggest gripe of the game. It seams that on Normal you can blast off any 2 limbs and the baddies go down. It doesn't matter what else you do - just take off 2.
This seems to be the case for ALL enemies thus far (I'm on the 3rd chapter)...

On "hard" I've noticed that this works for quite a few enemies, 2 limbs off and they are dead, but every 4th or 5th one seems to not work this way, requiring 3 or more limbs before death.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Diseased Yak said:
On "hard" I've noticed that this works for quite a few enemies, 2 limbs off and they are dead, but every 4th or 5th one seems to not work this way, requiring 3 or more limbs before death.

the difficulty curve on hard is really good, don't you think? i'm only through the first chapter, as i said, but the way it's ramped up feels fair but challenging. i've really had to think strategically, move fast, and shoot wisely, and it's making the game seem a lot more satisfying when you finally do get to a safe haven cargo elevator where you can stop and breathe for a moment

Barrett2

beelzebozo said:
which genre? the horror genre?

if so, why?

I don't play many games in the horror / survival horror genre. Over-the-top gore & tension of many horror games is too much for me to handle. I also don't like horror movies for the same reason.

So far, I like that Dead Space seems to be about more than just disgusting blood and gore or jack in the box monster closets trying to startle me every five seconds. The game seems like it has a well thought out atmosphere which carries the mood, as opposed to a bunch of gross gimmicks.

Cheech

beelzebozo said:
the difficulty curve on hard is really good, don't you think? i'm only through the first chapter, as i said, but the way it's ramped up feels fair but challenging. i've really had to think strategically, move fast, and shoot wisely, and it's making the game seem a lot more satisfying when you finally do get to a safe haven cargo elevator where you can stop and breathe for a moment

I think it's like Bioshock in that if you're semi-decent at 3rd/1st person shooters, you HAVE to play on Hard. That's what I'm playing on, and it feels perfect. Not frustrating at all.

No, I just hope I can finish it before Fable 2, LOL.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
beelzebozo said:

Yeah, I do think it works well. It was really hard early on, and I nearly restarted on normal after running out of ammo, but once I figured out how to only shoot at the limbs then it became managable. They give you just enough ammo to keep you from being overwhelmed. God forbid that you miss a few times. I've died probably 5 or 6 times and I'd guess I'm halfway through Chapter 2. Usually it was my own fault, though. I've learned to listen for sound queues already, but sometimes they give you false ones of course.

I really can't say enough how much I love this game. Everything is so detailed, the layered sound effects so engrossing, and the lighting is just so perfect... I'm in awe, really.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think people should feel pushed towards hard. There are some challenging moments even on medium. I think people need to look at what kind of experience they want-- if they want the fear and tension without actually having to struggle to survive, hard is not the right path. I haven't tried hard with the DLC suit though.

Are the store prices higher on hard?

Y2Kev said:
I don't think people should feel pushed towards hard. There are some challenging moments even on medium. I think people need to look at what kind of experience they want-- if they want the fear and tension without actually having to struggle to survive, hard is not the right path. I haven't tried hard with the DLC suit though.

Are the store prices higher on hard?

I am playing on hard and just finished the second chapter. To me the struggle to survive is most of what makes it scary. Knowing that at any moment you can be surprised by an enemy who can feasibly kill you on his own. I am also not playing with the DLC suit so as to have the legit hard experience, rather than the one being dumbed down for early adopters. I guess I understand playing on medium if you are solely interested in the story and progressing quickly but to me, normal would be a let-down similar to normal on bioshock.

Captain N said:
I can't wait for the youtube video with all of the different death animations for Isaac Clarke

I think ign or 1up already did a grindhouse-esque remix of the death animations. I would find it for you but I am at work thus everything but here gaming related is blocked.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So far(and I am early into the game) the difficulty of Hard mode, much like classic RE, merely extends to crucial item distribution. When I have a decent supply of ammo, the game is a cakewalk. When random drops suddenly spew forth a steady stream of money and healthpacks to the point my inventory is bursting at the seams with needless band-aids and my weapon has less than a full clip to its name...that's when I start dying.

My last save is at a crucial action section where I am assaulted by a small swarm of enemies. My magic meter is empty, my gun has just enough ammo to kill a single guy, and my only option is to just run(meh), or hope that I get lucky enough to get ammo drops from each corpse I barely pick off while I stave off the rest of the invasion with a super tame melee attack. But I do have gobs of health rejuvination to keep me in the fray.

So it's just very artificial.

Also, this game is about as scary as RE4(so not at all). Coming off of SH:H, it's a generational leap in visual fidelity and presentation, but the combat and audio is so active that environmental "whats dat!??" and ambient aural growls and clanging don't facilitate dread the way I expect is hoped. Also, necromorphs are very videogam-ey compared to the hideously disturbing creations you face in SH:H.

It's still a fun and gorgeous game to get lost in, and the dismemberment turns the tired 'headshot' design somewhat on its ear. RE4 fans will find it a fantastic way to fill the void left between RE4 and 5.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
what's the point of choosing to play on hard if you're going to use the dlc suit? to create an in-between "kinda hard" difficulty for yourself?

Gorechylde said:
So, I picked this up yesterday afternoon and dumped just over 5 hours in. I'm about half-way through chapter 4 and the only real complaint I can muster, which is really a personal preference deal, is that it is too dark in alot of areas. I cranked the brightness all the way up at the end of chapter 2, but I still have trouble discerning what I'm looking from time-to-time. This is a shame concidering the incredible engine they've built.

Isn't the darkness the goal of the visuals? Are you playing on SD or something?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have considered starting on hard, but am unsure due to the mention of loading times when you die. Just how long are the loading times (on PS3)?

Also, this game is about as scary as RE4(so not at all). Coming off of SH:H, it's a generational leap in visual fidelity and presentation, but the combat and audio is so active that environmental "whats dat!??" and ambient aural growls and clanging don't facilitate dread the way I expect is hoped. Also, necromorphs are very videogam-ey compared to the hideously disturbing creations you face in SH:H.
I expected as much. In general, games hyped by the developers as "scary" typically are not. Doom 3 had such bold claims surrounding it, but they failed completely on that front (though I loved the game). Stuff like Thief and System Shock 2, however, never had the horror elements pushed forward yet they pull it off so well. It's VERY difficult to create a truly horrifying game, however, and it has become more so in this age of flat panels. I just don't believe most developers can pull it off.

It's slightly disappointing in the case of Dead Space simply because I had hoped that, somehow, it would surprise us with a sense of dread, but I'm not surprised that they failed. Games like RE4, Bioshock, and Doom 3 were all darker experiences that I loved despite the fact that they failed to create a sense of dread. Silent Hill Homecoming ALMOST gets there at times, but in general, I didn't feel much.

jmonteiro

Got my copy of Dead Space (PS3) last night and I'm loving it. What a great game. I love the environmental sound: constant screams, steps on the air conducts, etc. The art direction along with an amazing audio and lighting make this game very intense. It's pretty awesome when you hear steps on conduits followed by screams and a sudden energy failure that brings down the all the lights. That sequence of events always makes me hold L1 and randomly aim around looking for the freaking beasts :D :D :D

Right now I'm not very fond of the zero gravity zones. Do they get better/more interesting to towards the end of the game?

Dyno

I'm into Chapter Two and I'm very, very impressed. Everything is high quality. The environment and atmosphere are top notch. They did a really nice job making the space ship feel antiquated while in fact being a modern facility. The combat is rather genius and once you see it in action.

I'm going on medium with the obsidian suit the first time through. I want to see everything and take my time learning how it works. If the game remains this good throughout I forsee multiple playthroughs so hard and the starter suit can wait.

So far I've only bought one other weapon, the larger line cutter. I've avoided the other weapons because I've used them too much in other games. Instead I've been buying nodes for weapon upgrades and the like. What are you people spending your credits on?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dark10x said:
I have considered starting on hard, but am unsure due to the mention of loading times when you die. Just how long are the loading times (on PS3)?

on 360 they're negligible. and what a silly reason not to play on hard, anyway. at worst the load time is like 10 seconds, just long enough for you to sit and huff and get frustrated over how you messed up, and then prepare yourself for a new strategy.

Dyno

dark10x said:

They're not bad but they're not the fastest either. Things can get tense enough on Medium as far as I'm concerned. I've gone for extended periods in a wounded state without any health packs in my rig. Just this morning I finished a fight with only a sliver of health left and one of the baddies happened to drop a medium pack. Lucky me.

dark10x

beelzebozo said:
on 360 they're negligible. and what a silly reason not to play on hard, anyway. at worst the load time is like 10 seconds, just long enough for you to sit and huff and get frustrated over how you messed up, and then prepare yourself for a new strategy.
Well, it depends. With games like Halo and Crysis, when you die, you immediately continue which prevents retrying segments from becoming frustrating. However, some games requrie a complete level reload every time you die and this absolutely becomes frustrating.

I've been playing Silent Hill Homecoming lately and, while coming to grips with the mechanics, I was dying a number of times in the police station (I've got a handle on it now, though). I found that the atmosphere was somewhat spoiled by death as each death greeted me with a somewhat lengthy and tacky "now loading" screen complete with tips. It soured the entire scene for me.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ah, alright. i'm not a huge silent hill fan, so i skipped homecoming.

i don't think the load times here are anything to worry about. they're perfectly reasonable.

dark10x

beelzebozo said:
ah, alright. i'm not a huge silent hill fan, so i skipped homecoming.

i don't think the load times here are anything to worry about. they're perfectly reasonable.
It's not just homecoming, though. Other examples of this problem can be found in most any UE3 game. Gears of War, for instance, is a good example of this problem.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Yeah, load times on the 360 aren't really that bad. 10-12 seconds maybe? The PS3 is supposed to be slightly faster. Like beelzebozo said, it gives you time to rethink what the fuck you just did wrong or prepare a strategy, at least on hard anyway. So far I've not died more than once to any grouping of enemies, tactics become really important on hard that's for sure.

Dyno

dark10x said:
It's not just homecoming, though. Other examples of this problem can be found in most any UE3 game. Gears of War, for instance, is a good example of this problem.

There is a load screen after dying, you do spend several seconds looking at it. In this way the game is utterly average so if you're finding yourself sensitive to it these days then be warned and pick your difficulty accordingly.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Anyone renting from Gamefly have their copy ship yet? I have had DS in my queue for weeks and GF still hasn't shipped it and the availability is showing "low".

stuminus3

After a couple of hours or so with this last night, I'm even more willing to welcome our new EA overlords. I'm more than willing to ignore the constant spamming of Sims 2 expansions and abundance of yearly sports updates clogging up my game shelves if they green light stuff like this and Boom Blox at the same time. This is the EA I remember from the 1980s.

The first thing that struck me is that production values are through the roof. This is one polished, complete piece of software. Very important for a game that relies so much on atmosphere. The attention to detail to things like the HUD are great too. The first couple of chapters seem very Doom 3 meets RE4 to me, which isn't really a bad thing at all as I loved both of those games, thankfully things like the holographic HUD keep it a little fresh.

My previous call-out to fans of System Shock 2 (I guess there aren't any?) - obviously this one lacks the depth of SS2, it only has very basic RPG elements, maybe even less so than Bioshock. However, the atmosphere is definitely there, and it's of course about a thousand times more cinematic. I don't think a SS2 fan would be too disappointed, unless you like lots of stats and hotkeys.

RavenFox said:
You can also watch The Thing, Super Nova, Sunshine or Event Horizon. Pick your love

if you watch super nova, make sure to check out the original (ie deleted) ending. its WAY WAY WAY better, epic. its like butteryfly effect (the original/deleted ending was kinda central to the entire movie, ie a central theme)

butsomuch

Dead Space: Composer Jason Graves Interview

What’s next on your growing portfolio of credits?

Jason Graves: Outside of the game world, I just finished scoring an independent thriller, and the producer’s already into his next film, so I’ll be working on that in about six months. I’m also always up to my eyeballs in commercials, but they’re a lot of fun to do, because of the change of pace and musical style.

I’ve got some big games I’m working on, but unfortunately can’t talk about yet—developers like keeping things secret until their official announcement. There are two games I can at least mention: The first one is Alpha Protocol, a really cool James Bond-esque game with a fun score—lots of espionage and intrigue. The second is a game based on the “Alien” franchise. The developer is going for a feeling that incorporates the horror aspects of Scott’s “Alien” with the action from Cameron’s “Aliens.” Needless to say, I’m really excited to be involved!

His next projects are Obsidian's Alpha Protocol and Aliens RPG

Just finished chapter 1. The game is awesome, and presentation is second to none. But I do have a complaint. I really wish I could remap the controls. I have this natural tendency to pull the R2 trigger to fire every time I'm in the middle of a major attack. It's annoying and is costing me health.

And can someone explain the stomp to me? I can't hit anything with it. I'll shoot out the leg, run up and stomp, miss and then get slashed. Is it really that hit or miss. Should I bother to use it?

RavenFox

Banned
dark10x said:

Wha? This isn't running on the UE3 engine. Also the PS3 version has a faster load off the save file.
Sorry if I misunderstood you if this isnt what you meant.
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Just finished chapter 1. The game is awesome, and presentation is second to none. But I do have a complaint. I really wish I could remap the controls. I have this natural tendency to pull the R2 trigger to fire every time I'm in the middle of a major attack. It's annoying and is costing me health.

And can someone explain the stomp to me? I can't hit anything with it. I'll shoot out the leg, run up and stomp, miss and then get slashed. Is it really that hit or miss. Should I bother to use it?
Stomp is good for crawlers and opening glowing cases. Just time it, Issac kinds of moves his body a certain way when he does this so you just have to get the knack of it.

RavenFox said:
Wha? This isn't running on the UE3 engine. Also the PS3 version has a faster load off the save file.
Sorry if I misunderstood you if this isnt what you meant.

Stomp is good for crawlers and opening glowing cases. Just time it, Issac kinds of moves his body a certain way when he does this so you just have to get the knack of it.

Those green cases can be stomped for items? Damn and here I thought they were nothing.

DenogginizerOS said:
Anyone renting from Gamefly have their copy ship yet? I have had DS in my queue for weeks and GF still hasn't shipped it and the availability is showing "low".
I am, for some reason they had today as the release date for it. Just checked my queue and DS is on 'shipping next' status, so i guess its shipping today for me. Had it at the top of my queue for over a week with a slot open, just waiting for release day.

garath

Phenomenal game. The sound is top notch. Playing this on a 50" screen with a good 5.1 setup absolutely makes it.

The presentation is fantastic, hard is a good difficulty level (I'm pretty good at all things FPS) and I won't lie, I scared the crap out of myself many times.

For those arguing that the game isn't scary, I have to wonder what/if any games you DO find scary. It's possible you just don't get into it and that's fine. But imo the game really does generate a feel of dread. There are evil, bloody things afoot and you are alone in space, in a spaceship. The whispers, flickering shadows, monsters crawling through the vents, lights going out, etc. It all builds a very tense environment that really gets to me when I'm alone, in the dark playing this game.

The positional sound is one of the best in a game I've played yet. I HEAR stuff moving around behind me. /shudder

BTW, playing PS3 version. It's buttery smooth.

Well, it depends. With games like Halo and Crysis, when you die, you immediately continue which prevents retrying segments from becoming frustrating. However, some games requrie a complete level reload every time you die and this absolutely becomes frustrating.

Probably my 'scariest' games are Project Zero 1 & 2 (Fatal Frame) and I found them far scarier and tense when playing on Easy. This was because the ghosts fights took so much longer on harder difficulties, and the reloading really broke the sense of immersion.

So, yeah, I agree with this sometimes!

garath

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Those green cases can be stomped for items? Damn and here I thought they were nothing.

Lol wow. I had no idea either. I'm such an ammo whore in these games that I never even thought to waste a single bullet finding out. Forgot completely about the stomp.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
while everyone is comparing this to bioshock, i'm more likely to compare it to this generation's the suffering--a really solid horror title with shooter trappings that came out of seemingly nowhere and has a halfway decent, interesting story to back it up. let's just hope if there's a sequel to this it turns out better than ties that bind

hearsaybear said:
Isn't the darkness the goal of the visuals? Are you playing on SD or something?

It isn't really the darkness that bothers me per say. I guess I wish there was a zoom command or something. Doom 3 had a very similar setting, but I never had problems with the flashlight and telling what I was looking at because it was first person and everything was bigger if that makes any sense. In Dead Space, everything is small and hard for me to see, especially when navigating a pitch-black room with nothing to guide but the tiny beam of the flashlight. I actually moved my ferniture closer to the TV because I couldn't read the text logs and such. I think I'm going blind...

I'm playing on a 42" Samsung LCD 1080P.

RavenFox

Banned
Also guys make sure you use your telekineses for other things than just debree on the floor and enemies. I pulled stuff off a bookshelf by mistake in the med lab last night. Don't want to say what it is but I think it was unique. Don't worry the charge is infinite.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
RavenFox said:
Also guys make sure you use your telekineses for other things than just debree on the floor and enemies. I pulled stuff off a bookshelf by mistake in the med lab last night. Don't want to say what it is but I think it was unique. Don't worry the charge is infinite.

I was proud of myself for find that as well. Pretty sweet, and made me really start looking around more.

stuminus3

RavenFox said:
Damn, there's a whole lot more exploration to this game than I think people are realising.

I discovered the green crate thing about an hour after starting but I didn't even think of this. :lol

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

I did the same thing, figured out about 3/4 of the way through Chapter 1, and thank god you kinda backtrack a bit since I got a chance to open all the green cases I missed earlier.

Remember, you can also open things on the wall that have a green light, they are like lockers and storage boxes.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
devilchicken said:
I am, for some reason they had today as the release date for it. Just checked my queue and DS is on 'shipping next' status, so i guess its shipping today for me. Had it at the top of my queue for over a week with a slot open, just waiting for release day.
:(

Mine is showing up in my queue.

Top Bottom